Backspace randomly starts deleting bullets...

I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works
extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able
to stop it.

Everything will work great for a time:

When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward.

.... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part:

When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet.

.... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't seem to
resolve it (i.e. get it to go back to de-indenting my bullet instead of
deleting it when I press back space).

If anybody could offer up any solution to this, it would mean a great deal.

Thank you kindly.
--
Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
Department of Neurological Oncology

Make sure that the "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces" option
is selected in the AutoCorrect dialog box.

To display the dialog, click Office button | Word Options. In the Proofing
category, click the AutoCorrect Options button. You'll find the option on the
AutoFormat As You Type tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works
> extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able
> to stop it.
>
> Everything will work great for a time:
>
> When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
> When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward.
>
> ... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part:
>
> When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
> However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet.
>
> ... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't seem to
> resolve it (i.e. get it to go back to de-indenting my bullet instead of
> deleting it when I press back space).
>
> If anybody could offer up any solution to this, it would mean a great deal.
>
> Thank you kindly.
> --
> Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
> Department of Neurological Oncology
> David Geffen School of Medicine
> University of California, Los Angeles

0
Stefan
6/2/2010 5:39:21 PM
Stefan,

First off, thank you so much for responding.

The set left indent... option was clicked... and that makes sense, since it
NORMALLY lets me move back an indent when I hit backspace... but just now,
for instance, it started deleted the bullets when I hit backspace... and I
can't seem to get it to stop, no matter what I do... I need to manually hit
the back-indent button to get it to move back. Tab still works to move the
bullet forward-indent, though.

Do you have any ideas here? Thank you so much again
--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> Make sure that the "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces" option
> is selected in the AutoCorrect dialog box.
>
> To display the dialog, click Office button | Word Options. In the Proofing
> category, click the AutoCorrect Options button. You'll find the option on the
> AutoFormat As You Type tab.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works
> > extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able
> > to stop it.
> >
> > Everything will work great for a time:
> >
> > When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
> > When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward.
> >
> > ... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part:
> >
> > When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
> > However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet.
> >
> > ... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't seem to
> > resolve it (i.e. get it to go back to de-indenting my bullet instead of
> > deleting it when I press back space).
> >
> > If anybody could offer up any solution to this, it would mean a great deal.
> >
> > Thank you kindly.
> > --
> > Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
> > Department of Neurological Oncology
> > David Geffen School of Medicine
> > University of California, Los Angeles
> >

> .

After some testing I've concluded that the behavior of the BackSpace key is
slightly different depending on how you created the multilevel list. If you
created it by clicking the Bullet button, backspacing deletes the bullet; on the
other hand, if you created it as a multilevel list (of bullets), backspacing
"outdents" the list.

Use Tab and Shift+Tab instead; those commands behave the same no matter how you

> Stefan,
>
> First off, thank you so much for responding.
>
> The set left indent... option was clicked... and that makes sense, since it
> NORMALLY lets me move back an indent when I hit backspace... but just now,
> for instance, it started deleted the bullets when I hit backspace... and I
> can't seem to get it to stop, no matter what I do... I need to manually hit
> the back-indent button to get it to move back. Tab still works to move the
> bullet forward-indent, though.
>
> Do you have any ideas here? Thank you so much again
> --
> Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
> Department of Neurological Oncology
> David Geffen School of Medicine
> University of California, Los Angeles
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> Make sure that the "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces"
>> option
>> is selected in the AutoCorrect dialog box.
>>
>> To display the dialog, click Office button | Word Options. In the Proofing
>> category, click the AutoCorrect Options button. You'll find the option on the
>> AutoFormat As You Type tab.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works
>> > extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able
>> > to stop it.
>> >
>> > Everything will work great for a time:
>> >
>> > When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
>> > When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward.
>> >
>> > ... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part:
>> >
>> > When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward.
>> > However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet.
>> >
>> > ... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't seem to
>> > resolve it (i.e. get it to go back to de-indenting my bullet instead of
>> > deleting it when I press back space).
>> >
>> > If anybody could offer up any solution to this, it would mean a great deal.
>> >
>> > Thank you kindly.
>> > --
>> > Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
>> > Department of Neurological Oncology
>> > David Geffen School of Medicine
>> > University of California, Los Angeles
>> >

>> .

0
Stefan
6/4/2010 6:50:26 PM
This is huge, than you so much.
--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> After some testing I've concluded that the behavior of the BackSpace key is
> slightly different depending on how you created the multilevel list. If you
> created it by clicking the Bullet button, backspacing deletes the bullet; on the
> other hand, if you created it as a multilevel list (of bullets), backspacing
> "outdents" the list.
>
> Use Tab and Shift+Tab instead; those commands behave the same no matter how you
> created the multilevel list.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Stefan,
> >
> > First off, thank you so much for responding.
> >
> > The set left indent... option was clicked... and that makes sense, since it
> > NORMALLY lets me move back an indent when I hit backspace... but just now,
> > for instance, it started deleted the bullets when I hit backspace... and I
> > can't seem to get it to stop, no matter what I do... I need to manually hit
> > the back-indent button to get it to move back. Tab still works to move the
> > bullet forward-indent, though.
> >
> > Do you have any ideas here? Thank you so much again
> > --
> > Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
> > Department of Neurological Oncology
> > David Geffen School of Medicine
> > University of California, Los Angeles
> >

> > "Stefan Blom" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure that the "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces"
> >> option
> >> is selected in the AutoCorrect dialog box.
> >>
> >> To display the dialog, click Office button | Word Options. In the Proofing
> >> category, click the AutoCorrect Options button. You'll find the option on the
> >> AutoFormat As You Type tab.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Stefan Blom
> >> Microsoft Word MVP
> >>

> >> "RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

You are welcome.

--

> This is huge, than you so much.
> --
> Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
> Department of Neurological Oncology
> David Geffen School of Medicine
> University of California, Los Angeles
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> After some testing I've concluded that the behavior of the BackSpace key is
>> slightly different depending on how you created the multilevel list. If you
>> created it by clicking the Bullet button, backspacing deletes the bullet; on
>> the
>> other hand, if you created it as a multilevel list (of bullets), backspacing
>> "outdents" the list.
>>
>> Use Tab and Shift+Tab instead; those commands behave the same no matter how
>> you
>> created the multilevel list.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "RGrunwald" <RGrunwald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Stefan,
>> >
>> > First off, thank you so much for responding.
>> >
>> > The set left indent... option was clicked... and that makes sense, since it
>> > NORMALLY lets me move back an indent when I hit backspace... but just now,
>> > for instance, it started deleted the bullets when I hit backspace... and I
>> > can't seem to get it to stop, no matter what I do... I need to manually hit
>> > the back-indent button to get it to move back. Tab still works to move the
>> > bullet forward-indent, though.
>> >
>> > Do you have any ideas here? Thank you so much again
>> > --
>> > Robert Grunwald, MD, PhD
>> > Department of Neurological Oncology
>> > David Geffen School of Medicine
>> > University of California, Los Angeles

>> .

0
Stefan

backspace button
im having problems using my backspace button. when i highlight paragraphs of information and press backspace intending to delet it, it doesnt delete it, i have to individually delete the information using the backspace button. Does anyone know how i can fix this. Thank you In news:E65A599C-591B-4BC5-A4E3-F4DA77901B73@microsoft.com, swatson <swatson@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > im having problems using my backspace button. > > when i highlight paragraphs of information and press > backspace intending to delet it, it doesnt delete it, i > have to in...

Delete Identity, Change Identity
I would like to know how I can delete my hotmail detais from the Outlook Express. It happened to get to the Outlook in the desktop computer I use at work and now anyone can see my private hotmail account and e-mails... I tried but did not seem to find a way to do that... Could you please help me? Sam Sam wrote: > I would like to know how I can delete my hotmail detais > from the Outlook Express. It happened to get to the > Outlook in the desktop computer I use at work and now > anyone can see my private hotmail account and e-mails... I > tried but did not seem to find a wa...

Can I force Palette to always start on the far right of my screen?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel For a variety of reasons, I close the Formatting Palette fairly often. When I open it again, it always shows up in the same place ... about 2/3 of the way across my screen. I then drag it to the right where I want it to be. <br><br>Is there any way to reset the default location? The Toolbox (which contains the Formatting Palette) should return to the last position when re-displayed... That _is_ the way to set its 'default' location. Before anything else, though, confirm that both Office &...

autoshapes
I've come across several "dots" throughout my worksheet that I've discovered are Autoshapes. When I attempt to delete them (select and "delete"), they remain. Ideas, please! Hi you could try edit / goto / special / objects and then press the delete key ... Cheers JulieD "NoNoNannette" <NoNoNannette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85203E6F-3C76-4983-9FE9-903F6FE0E172@microsoft.com... > I've come across several "dots" throughout my worksheet that I've > discovered > are Autoshapes. When I attempt to d...

Applications Starting at Startup
There seem to be a couple of apps that are starting automatically at startup. I've check the startup folder and don't see them in there. I did have a registry utility which listed several of them as running at start up - I'm assuming based on keys in the registry. How would I stop them from running automatically? "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> said this in news item news:uPISj5ljKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > There seem to be a couple of apps that are starting automatically at > startup. I've check the startup folder and do...

Recipients Receive Duplicates of My e-mails randomly
At times, specifically when I am accessing Exchange via SSL VPN, recipients of my e-mails will randomly receive duplicate or double copies of the same e-mail. What could be causing this occurance Don't you ever get doubles of EVERYTHING from a flash synchronization with your Exchange Server. A few minutes later, if you do an F5 it prunes your inbox down to 1 copy per msg. You might ask your friends if it's only YOUR messages. If so, could you be hitting Ctrl+M or clicking [SEND] a little heavy-handedly. I'd gather some intel on who else in your WAB is experiencing the same...

deleted contacts recovery possible
IMO Outlook2002 client deleted several contacts yesterday and would like to recover them now. Is this possible? craig Are they still in the deleted items folder? Is there a backup of the PST? See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm for one option - I've never tried it. Craig wrote: > IMO Outlook2002 client deleted several contacts yesterday and would > like to recover them now. > Is this possible? > > craig ...

Outlook 2003 too busy when starting
Hello, I use standalone Outlook 2003 as central storage for contacts (and email ofcourse). Installed add-ins: MS Personal Folder Backup, Lookout (Search & Index). When starting Outlook following happens all at once: 1. Outlook receives mail from 4 accounts. 2. Applies 14 email rules (max). 3. Checks Agenda and presents Reminders. All this takes about 30 - 60 seconds. When I just need to lookup contact information, this delay is extremely ANNOYING. What I tried I frequently compact/scan/(repair) Outlook.pst. I played with email send/receive options but it made no difference. Prefer...

retrieve deleted emails #3
Hi How can recovery deleted email from outlook Y keep deleted email for seven days on my exchange serve Thanks for your hel sav gsc sav gsc <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can recovery deleted email from outlook. > Y keep deleted email for seven days on my exchange server If you haven't emptied Dleted Items, it's in there. Just drag it back to the folder you want it in. If you have emptied the Delete Items folder, click Tools>Recover Deleted Items. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 2000: error message then quits after deleting mail
I am cleaning out my Deleted Items, but after four to six deletions, Outlook gives this message and then quits: "Outlook.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." This problem is reproducible, everytime. I don't know which log files are created because no name is given and three logs are created at the time of the "crash". I am using Outlook 2000 SP3 on Windows 2000 SP4. I have ran "Detect and Repair..." and am not running QuickFind. Hope someone ca...

"Backspace" key doesn't work right in MSWord
For some time now, I haven't been able to use my backspace key to delete large portions (selected by highlighting) of text. I have to use the "delete" key. Similarly, I cannot just "write over" highlighted text that I want to replace. (This has become quite frustrating.) My MSWord application hasn't always had I this problem, so I'm thinking I must have accidentally change a setting some time ago. I don't have this problem with any of my other applications. Thank you SO MUCH for your help! Sincerely, cjouelle Go into Word Options and check ...

Add random objects to view
Is it possible in any way, with any tool (that means at all...), to add random object to a main view? It would have been nice to select any object and add this to "My Active Accounts" for example, not having to be the Owner. Any clues or comments? Thanx, JB ----- Jorgen B wrote: ---- Is it possible in any way, with any tool (that means at all...), t add random object to a main view It would have been nice to select any object and add this to "M Active Accounts" for example, not having to be the Owner Any clues or comments ...

Tab and Backspace key problem
I have one user that when he uses either the tab key or the backspace key while filling in forms gets a nonprintable character (thick vertical bar) echoed to the screen rather than the tab moving the cursor to the next field or backspace erasing characters. This only happens in Microsoft Dynamics GP ver 9.00, other applications on the pc work correctly. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Any chance this is caused by something in his Regional Settings? or his keyboard settings? (different language / keyboard layout) Just taking a guess here .. M. &q...

IMAP4SVC Does not start
I have MS Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. After last power outage IMAP4SVC does not work. Microsoft IMAP4 service sown as STARTED in services, but Virtual IMAP4 server in System Manager is down. When I'm trying to start it I see the message, that IMAP server shows specific error and can not be started. There is a Warning in Event Log with Source: IMAP4SVC and Event ID: 1036 "An error occured while starting the Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Service: server instance number 1 failed to start with error 0x36b7" Please advise, thank you, Gary Uber ...

Publisher could not start the email program
When I attempt to "Send Page as Email", I get the following... "Publisher could not start the email program. Check your network connections. Make sure office is installed correctly, your email program is set up correctly, and that you can connect to your email server." I'm sitting here on my laptop in my house with both Outlook 2003 & Publisher open and working just fine. Outlook is sending/receiving emails just fine, but Publisher "Can't connect"? What's the deal? Which version of Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~...

PLEASE-Can I still retrieve file 'inbox'! Deleted from Recycle Bin on desktop!
I was trying to delete some files that involved several pop-up banner ads & windows from interfering with my search for telecommuting jobs. While clicking around on the internet, somehow this SPYWARE program began to write itself on to my hard drive, so I went into Windows Explorer to FIND FILES or FOLDERS to find it & DELETE whatever was associated with it! Well, in the process, I ended up sending these files to the RECYCLE BIN on my desktop to get rid of them. However, in the process of DELETING them, I also deleted a file 'Inbox' that I thought was part of the p...

Find Blank Row and delete all records below it
I searched the archives but couldnt find exactly what I was lookin for. I run a macro that does a lot of sorting and subtotaling. Once it i all done I know that in Column A all the data after the first blan cell is junk. I would like the macro to search for a blank cell in column A and the delete all rows below it including it. By all rows it could be fro current row till row 65536 or it could be from the blank cell till th end of data in column B. I would appreciate anyones help. Thanks! S -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com SK, here is one way Dim cFirst As Long Dim cL...

Random Sort
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CAC412.F84705E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable There are times when I want to mix up a table order-wise. It would be a = nice feature for Excel to have a sort method that would randomize the = record set in a table. What do you guys think about this? ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CAC412.F84705E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3...

How to I delete directories with files.
How to I delete directories with files. Thank You. ;o) You should be able to use the SHFileOperation() API. See if the following link helps you. http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/04/c/ -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Renato T. Forti" <renato@dynamic-e.net> wrote in message news:eprdwWaRDHA.1072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How to I delete directories with files. > > > > Thank You. ;o) > > ...

How do I get Outlook to receive emails on start up?
How do you get Outlook to receive on start up. There is an option to send, but not to receive. "kracker" <kracker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D0B7184-DB0C-40FD-BA8A-077D4DC5C6CA@microsoft.com... > How do you get Outlook to receive on start up. There is an option to send, > but not to receive. You need to set a polling interval. In O2003 go to Tools-Send/Receive-Send/Receive Settings-Define Send/receive groups and set a time interval for polling for mail. HTH Hi Gordon, Yeah I've done that, but I want O2003 to auto receive at start. J...

Find and Erase Excel randomly named temporary files
I have a file server for all my users, but by any reason some Excel randomly named temporary files are not deleted after the user saves the file and end his work. This of course have increase the size and number of files to backup. All users have a virtual map drive that points to the file server, so every time they need to work with a file they work directly in the server, and there is where the temporary files from excel are created, not in the temp folder of the C drive. So I am looking a way to search all these files and deleted them from my server. I have around 200 Users and no...

Starting a new group on a new page
How do I start each new group on a new page. I have a page break after the last group footer and before the page footer, but I get a blank last page that contains only the page header ( report title information) and page footer (page number information) information. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Gerry Goldberg On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:44:13 -0800, Goldar wrote: > How do I start each new group on a new page. I have a page break after the > last group footer and before the page footer, but I get a blank last page > that contains only the page header ( report title inf...

Random binomial numbers
Is there a way to generate random binomial distribution numbers in Excel? I know about the Analysis Toolpak generator, but it is faulty. Here is an example of what I want. Let's a baseball player is a .300 hitter. For N=10, I would like the generator to return (on average), zero 2.8% of the time, one 12.1% of the time, two 23.3%, three 26.7% etc, which are the binomial probabilities. Thanks for any help. Using Excel 97. Ken Suppose C1 contains the probability of success (0.3 in your example). Suppose F1:F11 contain the values 0..10. Then, in D1 enter =COMBIN(10,F1)*$C$1^(F1)...

Find and Delete Rows
I have about 4700 rows I need to delete. I can find them, but I don't know how to mass delete the rows. How can I use Find/Replace to delete the rows in the results of my find? You can't use Find/Replace to delete rows directly. However, you can use that feature to replace the text with a specific character or string (ie the replace would be something like ZZZDelete). Then you can sort the entire dataset and all of the rows to be deleted will be grouped together. Select all of them and delete. "Carlton A. Barlow" <CarltonABarlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...