Auto suggest

One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program
will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice
accepted.

Can Word do this too?

It could through Word2003, and it's been reported that the feature was
restored in Word2010.

Although if you've already gotten as far as "accommo," that particular
AutoCorrect doesn't do you much good, since in that word it's the
number of c's and m's that's tricky, and how would it know whether you
wanted "accommodate" or "accommodation" (or any other form of the
word)?

On Jun 5, 9:26=A0am, Daniel <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the progra=
> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the cho=
ice
> accepted.
>
> Can Word do this too?

0
Peter
6/5/2010 2:55:18 PM
If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar to how
your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address field),
then no, Word doesn't support that.

What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
particular combination of characters with another combination of characters. For
example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."

Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program
> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice
> accepted.
>
> Can Word do this too?

0
Stefan
6/5/2010 5:42:20 PM
I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
although it has been requested before.

There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".

Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
Office 15.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
<StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar to how
>your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address field),
>then no, Word doesn't support that.
>
>What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
>particular combination of characters with another combination of characters. For
>example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>
>Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
>"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
>paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.
>
>--
>Stefan Blom
>Microsoft Word MVP
>

>"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
>> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program
>> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice
>> accepted.
>>
>> Can Word do this too?

0
Jay
6/5/2010 6:34:38 PM
"Jay Freedman" <jay.freedman@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
> that's common on cell phones.

OK, that's a far better analogy than the one I tried to use. :-)

> Word does not have that feature, although it has been requested before.
>
> There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
> For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
> includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
> words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
> starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
> including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
> inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
> punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".
>
> Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
> predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
> Office 15.

Really? Personally, I find "predictive typing" annoying...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
> <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar to
>>how
>>your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address
>>field),
>>then no, Word doesn't support that.
>>
>>What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
>>particular combination of characters with another combination of characters.
>>For
>>example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>>
>>Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
>>"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
>>paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.
>>
>>--
>>Stefan Blom
>>Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>>"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
>>> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program
>>> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice
>>> accepted.
>>>
>>> Can Word do this too?

0
Stefan
6/5/2010 6:50:19 PM
Garrison Keillor has (very, very rarely) a slow-talker character whose
hearers try to finish his sentences for him -- and he always goes on
to finish them in a slightly or very different way.

I can see a "predictive text" feature outside the very limited realm
of txting as getting very annoying very quickly.

On Jun 5, 2:34=A0pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
> that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
> although it has been requested before.
>
> There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
> For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
> includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
> words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
> starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
> including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
> inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
> punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".
>
> Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
> predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
> Office 15.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
>

> <StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (simila=
r to how
> >your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address=
 field),
> >then no, Word doesn't support that.
>
> >What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
> >particular combination of characters with another combination of charact=
ers. For
> >example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>
> >Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
> >"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
> >paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.
>
> >--
> >Stefan Blom
> >Microsoft Word MVP
>
> >"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
> >> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the pro=
gram
> >> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the =
choice
> >> accepted.
>
> >> Can Word do this too?-
0
Peter
6/5/2010 6:52:31 PM
But surely SMS text language is the language of the future? ;)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

On Jun 5, 2:34 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
> that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
> although it has been requested before.
>
> There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
> For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
> includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
> words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
> starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
> including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
> inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
> punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".
>
> Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
> predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
> Office 15.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
>

> <StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar
> >to how
> >your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address
> >field),
> >then no, Word doesn't support that.
>
> >What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
> >particular combination of characters with another combination of
> >characters. For
> >example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>
> >Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
> >"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
> >paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.
>
> >--
> >Stefan Blom
> >Microsoft Word MVP
>
> >"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest /
> >> auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the
> >> program
> >> will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the
> >> choice
> >> accepted.
>
> >> Can Word do this too?-

0
Graham
6/6/2010 5:59:50 AM
Oh, dear ...

The Welsh linguist and Anglist David Crystal has already published a
couple of small books on such topics (I think Cambridge UP, his most
frequent publisher), worth looking at.

0
Peter
6/6/2010 1:07:33 PM
'Oh dear' doesn't being to cover it :)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

On Jun 6, 1:59 am, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
>
> > <StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed
> > >(similar
> > >to how
> > >your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the
> > >address
> > >field),
> > >then no, Word doesn't support that.
>
> > >What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
> > >particular combination of characters with another combination of
> > >characters. For
> > >example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>
> > >Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
> > >"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
> > >paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.

0
Graham
6/6/2010 1:32:45 PM
<g>

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> But surely SMS text language is the language of the future? ;)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Garrison Keillor has (very, very rarely) a slow-talker character whose
> hearers try to finish his sentences for him -- and he always goes on
> to finish them in a slightly or very different way.
>
> I can see a "predictive text" feature outside the very limited realm
> of txting as getting very annoying very quickly.
>
> On Jun 5, 2:34 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
>> that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
>> although it has been requested before.
>>
>> There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
>> For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
>> includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
>> words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
>> starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
>> including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
>> inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
>> punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".
>>
>> Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
>> predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
>> Office 15.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:44:55 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
>>

>> <StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >If you mean that you want Word to suggest words previously typed (similar to
>> >how
>> >your web browser may suggest previous sites as you type into the address
>> >field),
>> >then no, Word doesn't support that.
>>
>> >What you can do is make use of Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace a
>> >particular combination of characters with another combination of characters.
>> >For
>> >example, you can instruct Word to replace "acco" with "accommodation."
>>
>> >Note that AutoCorrect isn't limited to single words; you can create a
>> >"formatted" AutoCorrect entry to insert virtually anything: one or more
>> >paragraphs of text, a table, a text box, and so forth.
>>
>> >--
>> >Stefan Blom
>> >Microsoft Word MVP
>>
>> >"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Stefan
6/6/2010 2:10:34 PM
Yes, like "surely web forums are the support medium of the future".
*Somebody* at Microsoft believes it, and therefore it will happen.
Apparently nothing is too absurd or too annoying to be ruled out.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:13:31 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
<StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

><g>
>
>--
>Stefan Blom
>Microsoft Word MVP
>

>"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> But surely SMS text language is the language of the future? ;)
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Garrison Keillor has (very, very rarely) a slow-talker character whose
>> hearers try to finish his sentences for him -- and he always goes on
>> to finish them in a slightly or very different way.
>>
>> I can see a "predictive text" feature outside the very limited realm
>> of txting as getting very annoying very quickly.
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2:34 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> I think what Daniel is suggesting is the kind of "predictive text"
>>> that's common on cell phones. Word does not have that feature,
>>> although it has been requested before.
>>>
>>> There are several differences between predictive text and AutoCorrect.
>>> For example, predictive text works from a built-in dictionary that
>>> includes usage frequency data, and continues to suggest different
>>> words as you add more letters to the text on the screen. AutoCorrect
>>> starts with a limited vocabulary and lets you add more entries,
>>> including "nonsense" aliases for extended text and/or graphics; and it
>>> inserts its value in the document only when you type a space or
>>> punctuation to indicate that you've completed your "word".
>>>
>>> Frankly, I'm surprised that Word 2010 doesn't have some kind of
>>> predictive typing feature, and I think it would be a great one for
>>> Office 15.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Jay Freedman
>>> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>>> newsgroup so all may benefit.

0
Jay

Auto Filter problem

Auto-Editing

Auto-Calculate

auto copy self

Auto correct or Auto complete

OWA auto login

Auto look through subfolders

Auto date

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Auto-Alphabetize

How do I auto-reply incoming eMails ?
During my holidays I want to inform the sender of incoming eMails that I am currently not in office. How can I setup an auto-reply note? Do I setup this in my Outlook 2003 or in the Exchange Server? Joe If you connect to an Exchange server at work, use the Out of Office function (under tools). It will reply once to each sender that you are out of the office. By default in Exchange, auto-replies to the internet are turned off so only internal addresses would receive the Out of Office reply but verify with your Exchange Admin how they have the server configured. If you have a POP3 acc...

Seeking suggestions / solutions for SBS situation
I have a pretty good idea on what path to take, but I would like to see how other professionals would handle this situation. The objective is to increase remote user’s performance and plan for future growth. The problem is the site to site VPN for a remote office isn’t sufficient. My overall plan is to use Remote Desktop. Below is the environment and some solutions I came up with. SBS Server 2003 Power Edge 1900 1 Quad Core Xeon E5310 @ 1.60 GHz 6 GB Ram 1 Perc 5i with a 250 GB RAID 1 Volume 1 Adaptec 2045 with 200 GB RAID 10 Volume 20 SBS Cals 5 Terminal Se...

Auto change of Row number within Formulas
Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do the following Cell Resul A1 B1 1 A simple formula would be - sum(c(a1):c(b1)), where the result in this case would be the sum of cells c5:c10. Many thanks, Gle Hi Glen, Look at the INDIRECT() function in HELP -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "millarg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02302493-2C51-4CB9-9463-06523884BBD6@microsoft.com... > Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do ...

Auto-Capitalize
How do I turn this off. I'm making a basic flowchart. I need to turn this off. Thank You On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:42:05 -0800, eyewirejets <eyewirejets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I turn this off. I'm making a basic flowchart. >I need to turn this off. menu Tools -> Auto Correct Options -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

Suggestion for training purposes
This suggestion has been entered for process training purposes and is for MBS internal use only -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

auto delete attachment
How I can write a rule or script that will automatically delete any email that has the attatchment name? I'm using windows xp and outlook 2003. Norton AntiVirus Deleted1.txt Thanks, Aaron Rules don't touch attachment names so your only other choice is writing a program to do this. Try posting in an Outlook programming forum - also see http://www.slipstick.com and http://www.outlookcode.com for some assistance. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Aaron <kuy...

Outlook
My auot archiving is turned on and set to auto archive every 7 days. There are certain folders that do not auto archive even though all folder are set to use the default setting of 7 day. I'm not sure why some folders are not auto archiving. Please help. Archiving works on the modified date of the items, not the received or sent date. If you have accessed the item in the last 7 days, the modified date will be the date you last accessed the item and fall outside of your 7 days or older parameter. Try this - add the modified date to your folder and then sort by that date. You can see...

Auto fit contents
Auto fit (Row Height) works for a single column. It does not appear to work for merged culumns. Can auto fit row height be made to function for contents in merged columns ? -- Mucho Gusto Not without using VBA.. If interested see google search thread for code by Greg Wilson. Watch out for word wrap in the URL which is all one line. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_frm/thread/2293ac4e6373c4d3/ca1c160cbeb27874?lnk=st&q=&rnum=4#ca1c160cbeb27874 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:05:01 -0800, Una Pregunta <UnaPre...

Auto-Reply to an open mailbox
I would like to set up a rule to auto-reply when two certain words are in the subject line, and not on my personal mailbox but on a secondary mailbox that my profile opens. For some reason the auto-reply isn't working. Any ideas? Simon The rule has to be written on the "secondary mailbox". In other words, rules in your Outlook account will not work for the other mailbox. You need to open the other mailbox in its own profile and write the rule for it there. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Simon" <simonanquetil@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b201c...

Auto suggest
One of the features i like from Open Office, is the auto-suggest / auto-complete word as you type. Say for example i type accommo the program will show accommodation as an option and i just hit enter to make the choice accepted. Can Word do this too? It could through Word2003, and it's been reported that the feature was restored in Word2010. Although if you've already gotten as far as "accommo," that particular AutoCorrect doesn't do you much good, since in that word it's the number of c's and m's that's tricky, and how would it know wheth...

Found out how to disable Auto Preview in IMAP
I noticed that a lot of people have had the problem where Auto Preview keeps coming up with new messages in their IMAP folder. And the MVP's solution wasn't working. On the "Folder List" highlight the "Inbox" for the IMAP folder that is giving you the AutoPreview Problem. Click View >> Current View >> Customize Current View >> Other Settings >> under the 'auto preview' section change the radio button to "no auto preview" This should work! ...

Auto size columns
Hello! I want to autosize my coloumns which is imported through ExcelMl (xml) file, by setting some property in the xml file. Does anyone now how to achieve this? Thanks in advance! ...

Auto click hyperlink
Hi, I am very new to vba/macros etc. My problem: I receive many emails daily to which i need to click on a hyperlink within a time limit to verify receipt of the email. It is very tedious task to having to be on 'standby' to do this mundane task. I am trying to setup a macro where when an email is received it automatically clicks on the link for me. Is this possible? Thanks in advance,. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "malemodel_75" <malemodel_75[at]yahoo[dot]com> wrote in message news:OltCWJdpKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I am ve...