APA Headings

I would like to find or create a style document for an APA formatted document
that work with a Table of Contents.

Levels 3-5 of APA have the heading inline with the paragraph text.  For
example

This is the heading. Followed by the paragraph text that goes on and on and
on etc.

It seems that the heading styles only allow for paragraph headings - that is
they automatically insert a new paragraph after the heading - so if I
highlight "This is the heading." above and apply the heading style it
automatically sticks in a new paragraph which doesn't match APA.

Alternatively, if I don't using the heading styles, then I can't
automatically create a table of contents for my document.

Any ideas about how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
Charles

You could use a TC field. For more info see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051861971033.aspx

As TC fields are normally hidden, you will have to type the first sentence
of your paragraph twice: once as part of your TC and once as part of your
paragraph.

So for your example (assuming field codes are displayed) you would get

{ TC "This is the heading" \l 3 }This is the heading. Followed by the
paragraph text that goes on and on and on etc.

To add all TC fields to your TOC, you will have to add the \f switch to your
TOC field code. For a full explaination, see
http://office.microsoft.com/training/Training.aspx?AssetID=RP102666911033&CTT=6&Origin=RC102666801033

Yves

"crg" <crg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to find or create a style document for an APA formatted
>document
> that work with a Table of Contents.
>
> Levels 3-5 of APA have the heading inline with the paragraph text.  For
> example
>
> This is the heading. Followed by the paragraph text that goes on and on
> and
> on etc.
>
> It seems that the heading styles only allow for paragraph headings - that
> is
> they automatically insert a new paragraph after the heading - so if I
> highlight "This is the heading." above and apply the heading style it
> automatically sticks in a new paragraph which doesn't match APA.
>
> Alternatively, if I don't using the heading styles, then I can't
> automatically create a table of contents for my document.
>
> Any ideas about how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Charles

0
Yves
4/6/2010 10:52:24 PM
If what they want is run-in headings, in particular ones that should be
included in a TOC, use the style separator.  Type your heading  and the
following text, each in its own paragraph and style.  Place the cursor in the
first, or heading, paragraph, and press Alt+Ctrl+Enter.   Word will "hide"
the first paragraph it encounters.

Be sure that the line spacing and space after in the two paragraphs are the
same (such as both single spaced and both 6 pts space after).  --If, for
example, the heading style's space after is greater that the text style's,
that space will show up after the paragraph in W2003 and after the first line
of the joined paragraph in W2007.

If you use the style separator often --but not often enough to remember the
keyboard shortcut, you can add the command to  the toolbar or , in W2007/10
the QAT.

You can also manually hide the  paragraph mark (font > effects > hidden), but
that's more steps.

HTH,
Pam

crg wrote:
>I would like to find or create a style document for an APA formatted document
>that work with a Table of Contents.
>
>Levels 3-5 of APA have the heading inline with the paragraph text.  For
>example
>
>This is the heading. Followed by the paragraph text that goes on and on and
>on etc.
>
>It seems that the heading styles only allow for paragraph headings - that is
>they automatically insert a new paragraph after the heading - so if I
>highlight "This is the heading." above and apply the heading style it
>automatically sticks in a new paragraph which doesn't match APA.
>
>Alternatively, if I don't using the heading styles, then I can't
>automatically create a table of contents for my document.
>
>Any ideas about how to solve this problem?
>
>Thanks!
>Charles

Pamelia

Date as column Heading
Is their a way to use the current date or calculated date as a column heading? I can't imagine why you would need to do this. I expect you can derive a column name in a crosstab. The other solution would be to use code to create the SQL of a query. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Robert_DubYa" wrote: > Is their a way to use the current date or calculated date as a column heading? Yes, probably... but why?! I can drive nails with my chainsaw ... but it isn't a very good use of the tool. If you'll describe the business need you're tr...

EXCEL-2000 column headings hide from data
How do you make the column headings where they don't show in data validation drop down box? Assuming the Data validation drop=down relays on a list [range of cells] DO NOT include that cell while defining the data validation. Micky "CRHIV" wrote: > How do you make the column headings where they don't show in data validation > drop down box? I don't see a way not to include the row of labels that are on the top of the column. When you set up D-V, it asks for a list, then you pick a column to look in. "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: ...

column headings
What do all the report column headings stand for? MTD, MAT, LYM etc. I understand most, but need some idea to make these reports more meningful. Thanks. Beaver, Uh, which report? MTD is usually Month to Date. -- * "Beaver" <Beaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:776D5FD5-BC05-4565-81EF-9BB8A5A0BB16@microsoft.com... What do all the report column headings stand for? MTD, MAT, LYM etc. I understand most, but need some idea to make these reports more meningful. Thanks. Item movement history is the report I am in now. "Jeff" wrote: > Be...

Turnoff parantheses in APA citation
Work 07 puts parantheses around all APA-style citations even when they begin a sentence ("Tsui and O'Reilly (1989) conclude...") or are part of a list. Is there a way to change XSL to stop this? Patience is a virtue. You don't have to ask the same question 3 times, just wait till someone comes along who can answer it. <the following is copy/pasted from my original reply> There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all instances, you will have to edit the st...

Column Headings
Firstly, Happy New Year to you all. In my Outlook 2003 IN BOX I have lost the FROM column. Can anybody tell me how to get it back? Cheers Greg Hi, Greg; Right-click any of the remaining column headers, select "field chooser," find the "from" field, and drag it to the row of column headers. And a Happy New Year to you, IanRoy "Greg" wrote: > Firstly, Happy New Year to you all. > > In my Outlook 2003 IN BOX I have lost the FROM column. > > Can anybody tell me how to get it back? > > Cheers > Greg > > > ...

Group Head Dates
Hello,I have an invoicing report that is grouped weekly by [invoicing date]. I would like to have a group header that lists each week. So far the only thing I come up with is the same week for all groups. Thank you in advance for any help. I have figured it out. I used the sample data base and found a similar report. It had the expression I was looking for. Thank you all. I am sure I will have more questions later."Kevin at Bridge" wrote:> Hello,> > I have an invoicing report that is grouped weekly by [invoicing date]. I > would like to have a group header that ...

How do I set up sub-headings in Excel?
I'm trying to set up a chart to compare costs of various projects. Each project will have a heading of the project name and size, and two sub-headings of total cost and cost per square foot. How do i set up a sub-heading? A "chart" as in graphical representation? Or just a table of data on your worksheet? Can you show a small sample of what you currently have and what you want the layout to look like? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:21:02 -0800, travel junkie <travel junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying ...

Convert to Text with Heading on the first line
I have this table named tblTrans and I need to transfer this into MS-DOS Text format. I have used the DoCmd.TransferText command. My table looks like this: CODE | PAYCODE | AMOUNT | 001 001 235 001 001 111 001 001 213 001 001 212 My output should look like this 001111771 001001235 001001111 001001213 001001212 Where the first line should contain 111 as the group code (found in another table named tblGrp) and 771 is the total amount. What do you think should I do with this? I need your help. I would apprecaite w...

APA Headings
I would like to find or create a style document for an APA formatted document that work with a Table of Contents. Levels 3-5 of APA have the heading inline with the paragraph text. For example This is the heading. Followed by the paragraph text that goes on and on and on etc. It seems that the heading styles only allow for paragraph headings - that is they automatically insert a new paragraph after the heading - so if I highlight "This is the heading." above and apply the heading style it automatically sticks in a new paragraph which doesn't match APA. A...

APA conversion
I have a paper with bibliography that is not APA. I need to convert them into APA format. How do I copy and past my information so I could create an APA formatted bib without typing all my bib over again? ...

Word 2007 running head font is different from the rest of thepape.
When trying to do a paper for school in APA 6 format, the running head is always a different font. I have tried many ways to change it and it will not go toTimes New Roman as needed. By default Word uses the 'Header' style for formatting your header. Does that style use Times New Roman as its font? Yves "Student in a tizzy" <Student in a tizzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7022C85A-CF35-4933-918F-2F9164DBC5C5@microsoft.com... > When trying to do a paper for school in APA 6 format, the running head is > always a different font....

APA updates
I had word set up to remind me to not double space and other APA format issues but now they have changed it and I am not getting any "reminders" anymore. Is there an update coming with the new guidelines on formatting the document? I spent 17 months relearning to not double space after a period now I have to re relearn to double space again. The templates I have seen only address setting up the basics of the paper not the "nitty gritty" of the little details. Help please. ...

Need a Header in APA Format
I can create a header with a title aligned to the left, but when I want to put the page no. on the same line as the title aligned to the right, the page no. is added, but makes the title disappear. Can't figure out how to avoid the title disappearing. Help! Don't add a page number building block; instead, choose "Current position" and insert a plain page number. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "SELoyd" <SELoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E6103F5...

Heading in charts
Can I link the heading in a chart to a cell instead of writing it as text? Thanks, Stephen Stephen - You can link many of the text elements in a chart (chart title, axis titles, data labels on data points) to a cell. Select the item, click in the formula bar (above the column header letters, next to the equals sign), type = and click on the cell. Excel enters the address of the cell after the equals sign you types. Now press Enter. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Stephen wrote: > Can I link the heading ...

APA STYLE
I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON MY NEW MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON FORMAT, AND REFERENCES USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY PAPERS.<br> MAHALO, CONNIE Hi Connie, Typing in all caps is interpreted on the web as YELLING, and so it's a bit rude. It's also quite difficult to read. What version of Word are you using? Do you mean the citation manager, that generates citations for you, doesn't seem t...

APA Style Citations
I am using the references feature and set to the APA style. When I try to add a citation for a paper with the same author as another paper, I am getting the title of the paper in the citation. The years of the paper are different. How can I get rid of this unnecessary title in the citation itself. You can try suppressing the title by right clicking on the citation in your document and selecting "Edit Citation...". But the APA style supported by Word isn't really fully APA compliant. Yves -- BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles http://b...

APA Style Template

How do I center a heading across cells?
I want to center a tittle across the top of five columns. I don't want the heading to be separated by lines. Try the following... 1) Select/highlight your five cells 2) Format > Cells > Alignment > Text Alignment > Horizontal > Center across selection Hope this helps! In article <86DFF28E-0D03-4ABB-9DD2-675299247A05@microsoft.com>, DC25 <DC25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to center a tittle across the top of five columns. I don't want the > heading to be separated by lines. DC25 Wrote: > I want to center a tittle across the t...

changing column headings in Business Portal for GP
How do I change a column heading in Business Portal for Great Plains? Sean E., Thanks for using the newsgroup. What version of BP are you using? Could you provide more detail for what you are trying to accomplish? Thanks Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance Microsoft Business Solutions This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Sean E." wrote: > How do I change a column heading in Business Portal for Great Plains? ...

Heading styles based on upper-level heading?
I read at a Word MVP site, the following in an article on creating a template (the link here is http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateAT= emplatePart2.htm ; you have to scroll down and click on the "Styles" link to get to the page that has the quotation): Using Format/Style you customise each of the Heading styles to the formatting you want. Remember to check the =93Add to Template=94 box for each style, otherwise Word will not write your changes back to the template. This does not matter if you have the template open as a document as you do now, but it is critical...

Moving comment box leader arrow head
Can I move the position of the head of a comment arrow from one corner of the cell it references to another corner? When I display the comment box/arrow for printing it looks as if it is refering to the cell on the right, since the comment arrow points to the upper-right corner of the cell, instead of the upper-left. Francisco ...

APA Style/References list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi there, I have read the other threads on references and various helpful tips. My question for the publishers is would it be possible to have an option for References similar to the Bibliography list (it appears in APA style that is what they call their bibliography page). Also, I noticed that it does not do a hanging indent (where the 2nd and further lines are indented to the right) which is another requirement. If there is a way to automatically set this up and I haven't found it please let me know. Thanks so muc...

Highlight column headings when cursor is in a cell.
When navigating a spreadsheet (e.g. cursor is placed in B12), I would like the letter Column Heading "B" and the Row Heading "12" to highlight in a different color other than standard gray. When moving cursor, each Heading/Row you pass through would change to a specified color - then returning to gray once you leave the cell. It already goes bold. Perhaps this alternative might help '---------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) '--------------------------------------------------...

APA Style Table in Excel
Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places in line? Example: Instead of: 0022.11 1122.01 Have: 22.11 1122.01 Thanks, Dan One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom ???0.00 Left align the cells. In article <s0Gsb.21268$8x2.8238628@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>, "Dan" <dslaugh@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there a way to left align digits in excel and still have decimal places > in line? > > Example: > > Instead of: > > 0022.11 > 1122.01 > > Have: > > 22.11 > 1122.01 > > Thanks, &g...

format headings in datsheet view for subform
Greetings again, For a subform in datasheet view, is there a way to format the column headings of the form? I have a control named txtName,so of course the subform dispays the column header as txtName. Is there a way to change this without renaming the control? Also, can the justification be changed. Cannot find any way in property sheet. Is there a way in VB for the control? I already have code on the control for a filter. Can it be added on to that? Best, Scott -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200911/1 Ple...