2010 Word beta file type problem

I've installed Office 2010 beta.  Now word documents (.DOC) are not
associated with Word.   I attempted to re-associate them as is typical in
Windows by choosing "open with" and then browsing to "winword.exe" in
c:\program files(x86)\office14.  But it will not accept winword.exe as a
valid program!
So, currently the only way I can get to use Word is to open Word 2010 and
either do File>Open, or drag a DOC file into the header of Word.  (if I try
to drag a DOC file from Explorer onto the Word icon on the desktop, it won't
accept it!

What's going on here?  How do I fix this so that DOCs are default opened by
Word?
(BTW, the current default is Wordpad, which of course doesn't work.)
Prior to this Office 2010 beta install I had Word 2007 and it was accepting
DOC files.
I'm running this all on W764bit.

No problem here with 2010 running under Windows 7 32 bit.

You could try repairing the installation via the Control Panel or
re-register Word by running winword /r

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"John Gillis" <John Gillis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed Office 2010 beta.  Now word documents (.DOC) are not
> associated with Word.   I attempted to re-associate them as is typical in
> Windows by choosing "open with" and then browsing to "winword.exe" in
> c:\program files(x86)\office14.  But it will not accept winword.exe as a
> valid program!
> So, currently the only way I can get to use Word is to open Word 2010 and
> either do File>Open, or drag a DOC file into the header of Word.  (if I
> try
> to drag a DOC file from Explorer onto the Word icon on the desktop, it
> won't
> accept it!
>
> What's going on here?  How do I fix this so that DOCs are default opened
> by
> Word?
> (BTW, the current default is Wordpad, which of course doesn't work.)
> Prior to this Office 2010 beta install I had Word 2007 and it was
> accepting
> DOC files.
> I'm running this all on W764bit.

0
Doug

Dynamic chart
I have successfully created some dynamic charts using articles referred to here, but am struggling with one problem. The sheet is set up so that I enter an EndDate and the StartDate is calculated from this (21 weeks back) so I am plotting 21 pieces of data (weekly entries of various parameters). If I choose an EndDate that is several weeks back from the latest date entered the data plots are adjusted correctly but the x-values labels always show the last 21 weeks of dates and therefore do not change with the data. I must be missing something here - any suggestions would be most welco...

Excel beta
Someone else please confirm this. A:A filled with the formula =ROW()^2. C1: =SUMPRODUCT(ROW(A:A)^2) C2: =SUM(A:A) C3: [array formula] =SUMSQ(ROW(A:A)) C1:C3 all appear to show the same value, 3.84307717958020E+17. And the next 3 formulas all return true. C4: =C1=C2 C5: =C2=C3 C6: =C1=C3 But the following formulas aren't consistent with this. C7: =STDEV(C1:C3) returns 8589934592.0 C8: =DEVSQ(C1:C3) returns 12288 FWIW, the exact result, per Mathematica, should be 3.843077179582709760E+17, so the XL12 result is affected by truncation error at the 12th decimal dig...

Visual Studio 2010 Quirk?
I am working in VS2010 and right clicked on the Project in the Solution Explorer. Add New Folder. Went into Windows Explorer and copied a few files to this folder. They don't show up in the Solution Explorer, even with a refresh. If I click on the folder and "Open Folder in Windows Explorer" it opens a folder with the URI being "visual studio 2010" Not "Visual Studio 2010" (Notice the case). There is no visual studio 2010 folder, but it shows what is in the "Visual Studio 2010" folder. The Tree view shows both!! Really strange.... I cant e...

how do i convert numbers in figures into words?
I am trying to use mail merge function where I have a list of amounts in excel. I also have to give the same as amount in words ex. USD Two Million Four hundred thousand nine hundred eighty three for USD 2,400,983. Is there a way whereby i can convert the amounts in figures into amount in words in excel. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Deepak Gupta" <Deepak Gupta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24E2565E-1BDF-4473-8B42-6E9C4EE49412@microsoft.com... >I am trying to use mai...

How do I import .drw files in powerpoint?
I have old files from a program called "Freelance" which I would like to open. Is there a way to open them with Microsoft programs This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01CAF72D.E69F29A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable See if this helps http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00345.htm=20 --=20 Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "gibchen" <gibchen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:1207DBAC-93A6-47C6-B30A-4482BBA59958@microsoft.com... > ...

Word attachments
I am running Windows 7 and Word 2007. I want my attachments to open in Print preview not full screen reading view. I have unchecked the box in Word Options, rebooted and resent emails with attachments to myself. However, they will not open in any other mode but full screen reading view. Any suggestions welcome. You can disable Full Screen Reading view, but you cannot force documents to open in Print Preview. If you mean Print Layout view, then you need to save them in this view; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (...

How do I move a picture in Word 2007?
I inserted a picture in a blank page. Selected the picture, then tried to drag it to another location on the page. It won't move. I can resize the picture, but can't move it. Any suggestions? Most likely because the image was inserted as "In Line with Text" -- If so it can only be dragged from one location in the text to another. The only text on that [otherwise] "blank page" is paragraph containing the image. In order to move it you can change the formatting of the image to one form of Text Wrap or another. Doing so converts it to a floating object wh...

MSX 2010 with DPM 2010 RC
I try to backup our (non-clustered) MSX-Server 2010 (3 Databases) with DPM 2010 RC; in the Protection Group Window 'Specify Exchange DAG Protection' comes the message "The selected datasource(s) cannot be configured for copy backup because it is either a standalone Mailbox DB or a replica (ID: 52528). What's the problem? Regards Wolfgang On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:19:01 -0700, WKrauss <WKrauss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I try to backup our (non-clustered) MSX-Server 2010 (3 Databases) with DPM >2010 RC; in the Protection Group Window '...

Is it possible that more than 1 project to share the same resource.h file?
Hi all.... before getting crazy fighting with ID's I want to receive your advice on what's the best way to do this: I'm programming an application that is very big, so to make it more understandable, it was necessary to program different modules in DLL's. I have at present 3 different projects in the workspace. The main project is the application itself (that has the CWinApp derived class) and the others are extension DLL projects. The application is MDI. The main project only has CManFrame class and some CControlBar's. One DLL project is the administration module, where...

opening established files
Originally purchased Publisher 3.0 for Windows 95. Used it often. Upgraded to Office 97 and still used Publisher 3.0. Later upgraded to Office 2000. Still using Publisher 3.0. Transfered all my existing files to new Dell 8200 with XP last year. Still able to use Publisher 3.0. Recent hardware problem required reformat of hard drive. Backed up all files to CD at local vendor. Reinstalled XP and all programs. Now I cannot open Publisher files. Error message says cannot load from a different version. All other programs appear to be working as in the past. 3.0 is all I ever ...

Page Breaks in OneNote 2010
Is it possible to see where page breaks are when using the infinite page in 2010? If not, is it possible to choose Letter, but keep adding pages to the bottom of the existing page (allows me to see page breaks in an alternative fashion)? The lack of visible page breaks has been a major drawback (one of the few) in my usage of OneNote 2003 and 2007. I did see that if I use the Letter setting, I can continue typing beneath the "page bottom" into the dark gray area beneath, but it would be nice to have the view all white with a dotted line for the page break. Thanks for pointing to thi...

Help for all types of Macros
Hi, Is there any site where different macros are listed out in detail fo copying them. Such a site will be a great help for all like me who d not know how to make new macros -- mohitmahaja ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mohitmahajan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=813 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26841 Hi mohitmahajan, The best and largest source is the microsoft.public.excel.programming newsgroup. Being new to macros, you might wish to first look at David McRi...

Any body can point me to a simple OLE embedded word sample?
Hi, I am looking for sample source that embeds a MS word doc in the app (preferably non-MFC). I supposed that's OLE. Surprisingly I couldn't find any. Does anyone know of a very simple sample app with source I can take a look? Thanks. You can have a look at the drawcli and superpad MFC samples (ship with VS). But I would not call them "very simple". Vaclav ...

picture before text word 2003 How?
Hi all I want to put a small picture before text in word 2003. I want to put a picture of somebodys head on the line of text then text after it, then on the enxt line change the picture to someone elses head then add text and so on. How do I do this please? symbol? inser picture? how do I get my picture roughly the same size as the text? Thanks --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net --- In news:hmrp8m$3kk$1@adenine.netfront.net, Third Time Lucky <justme@home.com> typed: > Hi all > > I want to put a small picture befo...

pdf file margins bigger than publisher 2007 file
When I convert my Publisher 2007 file to PDF, the margins are wider than in the Pub file. Why? And how do I get around this? I have used this same template in the past, and when I've had it professionally printed, the margins come out the way I want them, though there is some variation from printer to printer. Thanks. ...

Editing menus in Excel 2007 beta 2
How do I edit the "right click menu" in Excel 2007 Beta 2? Hi Diggerdeep Same as in older versions with VBA code This example will add 3 controls to the Cell menu that run your own macro's. Change this two lines : onaction_names = Array("macro1", "macro2", "macro3") caption_names = Array("caption 1", "caption 2", "caption 3") Sub Add_Controls() Dim i As Long Dim onaction_names As Variant Dim caption_names As Variant onaction_names = Array("macro1", "macro2", "macro3...

DPM 2010 to DPM 2010 DR on Windows 2008R2 not available?
Hi I recently deployed a DPM 2010 primary and secondary server in our environment (mainly to protect our Exchange 2010 servers). I installed the agent from the secondary DPM server onto the primary. The next step is to select the agent under the Management tab and down the bottom of the screen reveals the version, thottling disabled but it is not showing "Protected computers enabled for Protection" Is there anything that needs to be done in addition to setup the secondary DPM server to protect the primary? If I am not mistaken, you are trying to locate the...

Vista runs out of physical memory when working with files > 1GB
I regularly see issue where Vista runs out of physical memory and starts swapping memory into the page file and as hard drive operations dramatically increase explorer stops responding or is responding very slowly. One example is a situation where I have opened Visual Studio , while editing 3D scene in trueSpace. After opening and closing a 3D scene several times I experienced very slow response from OS. Closing trueSpace and starting again helps to solve the problem for a while. I didn't quite understand what was going on until recently when I was burning ISO images stored o...

project 2010 timeline view
Hello, What is the purpose of the timeline view? Where you add in specific tasks. Why arn't all tasks in it? Why would you only want to see some tasks? thanks Greg -- In the future, please ask your Project 2010 questions in the following newsgroup: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/threads To answer your question, the Timeline view allows you to show a timeline of your project and show only the tasks you want to see as either bars or Callouts. To add any task to the Timeline view, right-click on the name of the task a...

Still no joy
I have 100's of similarly named XL files. Finding the one I want i easy in XL 5.0 because the File>Find dialog box can be set to show the fil titles next to each file name. But, in later versions of XL, the File>Ope Explorer window doesn't show titles. In response to my earlier query, two people said that I should choose 'Details' in the 'View' section of the settings. This is incorrect. Only FileName, FileSize, FileType, and DateModified are shown. Perhaps they meant select Views>Properties, but this only shows titles _one at a time_, for the currently...

Comments from Word 2002 to 2007
We have a large number of templates written in Word 2002, most of which have comment balloons associated with them. We are in the process of converting these templates to Word 2007. Would it be fair of me to assume we could just copy the text of these comments to the new comments in our converted templates? Would there be any corruption? Or do we need to type out the comments letter by letter to avoid any corruption issues. There are differing opinions in our department on how to proceed. Hoping for some clarification from the helpful folks here. Thanks Well, Word 2007 a...

Partial PST File Recovery
I have recovered my outlook files from a backup copy, but it appears that several weeks of recent data (which should have been included on the backup) have not been recovered. I am looking for any recommendations to recover the missing several weeks mail. ...

file access & options settings
I'm having two problems with an Excel file that is stored on a share drive for use among my entire work group: 1) While almost everyone can open the file as an attachment to email, one user get's a message denying access. The message says "Can't create [filename].xls. Right click on the folder and select properties . . ." Could it be that this person doesn't have read-write access to their own temporary internet folder? Any other causes? 2) Whenever the file is opened it resets the Excel options settings NOT to display windows in the taskbar. I've trie...

protect and share file
Hi all, i am using a vba code on my main file so when it is opened another file will be opened with him , this works perfectly as long as i dont activate the "Protect and Share Workbook" option. when i start this option the vba code doesn't run any more and i must have this option for multiple users.... Does anyone have any idea why it happens? Thanks Yaron. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ In a simple test (book1.xls controlled the opening of book2.xls), this code worked if the book1 were shared or not shared: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_Open() ...

Import PST File error
G'day All, I have saved a outlook.pst file from one HDD to another HDD. When I try to import it back into Outlook it gives first this error: "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" you can Click OK or Cancel. if you click OK another error pops up: "Outlook.pst is not compatible with this verson of the personal folders information". I have done this task many times before but this is the second time in week that this error has occurred on two different machines. The first one was when I burnt the File to a Data DVD along with other files. I...