"Best Practice" - Templates/Building Blocks

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up new templates for our company. There are
quite a few templates, and all have similar characteristics but slightly
different information. I am creating them as .dotx files (working in Word
2007).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Quick Parts within the context
of multiple templates. There is some information (for example, addresses of
different company locations) that need to be inserted into several of the
templates. I'd like to create Quick Parts for doing this, and in fact have
done this in one of the templates. However, I don't see any way to add them
to other templates without recreating them each time.

Obviously I am fuzzy on how exactly these Quick Parts are stored. Ideally,
I'd be able to (a) import/export them between templates (best case scenario),
or (b) store them in some common location and then access them from each
template. However, considering that the templates are to be used
company-wide, it seems like option b would be quite complicated in terms of
enabling everyone to *easily*/seamlessly access the common storage location.

[It's becoming somewhat clearer to me that what would be fantastic would be
to create "families" of templates - all using the same styles, Quick Parts,
etc. This would allow one to change the styles for all templates at once -
for example, if it was decided to change the corporate font - without having
to go into each template and change it individually. Am I off-base here - is
there actually a way to do this that I am totally missing??]

Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated!
Jen

Based on a very brief test, it appears to be possible to save quick parts in
a template that is loaded as an add-in by having been saved in the Word
Startup folder and then have the quick part available for use in a document
created from another template.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JenC" <JenC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am in the process of setting up new templates for our company. There are
> quite a few templates, and all have similar characteristics but slightly
> different information. I am creating them as .dotx files (working in Word
> 2007).
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Quick Parts within the
> context
> of multiple templates. There is some information (for example, addresses
> of
> different company locations) that need to be inserted into several of the
> templates. I'd like to create Quick Parts for doing this, and in fact have
> done this in one of the templates. However, I don't see any way to add
> them
> to other templates without recreating them each time.
>
> Obviously I am fuzzy on how exactly these Quick Parts are stored. Ideally,
> I'd be able to (a) import/export them between templates (best case
> scenario),
> or (b) store them in some common location and then access them from each
> template. However, considering that the templates are to be used
> company-wide, it seems like option b would be quite complicated in terms
> of
> enabling everyone to *easily*/seamlessly access the common storage
> location.
>
> [It's becoming somewhat clearer to me that what would be fantastic would
> be
> to create "families" of templates - all using the same styles, Quick
> Parts,
> etc. This would allow one to change the styles for all templates at once -
> for example, if it was decided to change the corporate font - without
> having
> to go into each template and change it individually. Am I off-base here -
> is
> there actually a way to do this that I am totally missing??]
>
> Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated!
> Jen

0
Doug
5/5/2010 9:27:22 AM
Also take a look at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Word2007_Building_Blocks_&_AutoText.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JenC" <JenC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am in the process of setting up new templates for our company. There are
> quite a few templates, and all have similar characteristics but slightly
> different information. I am creating them as .dotx files (working in Word
> 2007).
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Quick Parts within the
> context
> of multiple templates. There is some information (for example, addresses
> of
> different company locations) that need to be inserted into several of the
> templates. I'd like to create Quick Parts for doing this, and in fact have
> done this in one of the templates. However, I don't see any way to add
> them
> to other templates without recreating them each time.
>
> Obviously I am fuzzy on how exactly these Quick Parts are stored. Ideally,
> I'd be able to (a) import/export them between templates (best case
> scenario),
> or (b) store them in some common location and then access them from each
> template. However, considering that the templates are to be used
> company-wide, it seems like option b would be quite complicated in terms
> of
> enabling everyone to *easily*/seamlessly access the common storage
> location.
>
> [It's becoming somewhat clearer to me that what would be fantastic would
> be
> to create "families" of templates - all using the same styles, Quick
> Parts,
> etc. This would allow one to change the styles for all templates at once -
> for example, if it was decided to change the corporate font - without
> having
> to go into each template and change it individually. Am I off-base here -
> is
> there actually a way to do this that I am totally missing??]
>
> Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated!
> Jen

0
Doug
5/5/2010 9:33:38 AM
Yes, that is the same behavior as for AutoTexts in earlier versions of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Based on a very brief test, it appears to be possible to save quick parts in a
> template that is loaded as an add-in by having been saved in the Word Startup
> folder and then have the quick part available for use in a document created
> from another template.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JenC" <JenC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am in the process of setting up new templates for our company. There are
>> quite a few templates, and all have similar characteristics but slightly
>> different information. I am creating them as .dotx files (working in Word
>> 2007).
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Quick Parts within the context
>> of multiple templates. There is some information (for example, addresses of
>> different company locations) that need to be inserted into several of the
>> templates. I'd like to create Quick Parts for doing this, and in fact have
>> done this in one of the templates. However, I don't see any way to add them
>> to other templates without recreating them each time.
>>
>> Obviously I am fuzzy on how exactly these Quick Parts are stored. Ideally,
>> I'd be able to (a) import/export them between templates (best case scenario),
>> or (b) store them in some common location and then access them from each
>> template. However, considering that the templates are to be used
>> company-wide, it seems like option b would be quite complicated in terms of
>> enabling everyone to *easily*/seamlessly access the common storage location.
>>
>> [It's becoming somewhat clearer to me that what would be fantastic would be
>> to create "families" of templates - all using the same styles, Quick Parts,
>> etc. This would allow one to change the styles for all templates at once -
>> for example, if it was decided to change the corporate font - without having
>> to go into each template and change it individually. Am I off-base here - is
>> there actually a way to do this that I am totally missing??]
>>
>> Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated!
>> Jen

0
Stefan

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...

GL figures
what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr. do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file. -- Linda W. Linda, You mean when you are starting up a new company? If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only. For example, let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends in December and y...

GP10 Security Best Practices Question
I have read up the KB articles on the new role-based security with GP10 but have some questions. If I upgrade but choose not to convert the old security, what is the quickest/best way to get up and running with fresh GP10 security? I have about 50 User-Id's that will need updating. Thanks, DavidF. David, There is no "quick and easy way" around security in any GP release. For v10 in particular, I would suggest you start to look at the tasks and roles performed by your users then compare those to the existing tasks and roles created under the new security model, then ass...

Integration -- best practice for ERP / CRM cross references
Greetings, I'm implementing some integration points between MS CRM and an ERP application, MFG/PRO. I've had good luck with Accounts and Products. I've also successfully created an invoice. The invoice poses a bit of challenge in that one cannot assign an invoice number to a CRM invoice. Ideally, I'd like the <invoicenumber> field of the Invoice object to equal the invoice number from the ERP system. Unfortunately, CRM wants to assign its own invoice number. I don't see another field on the Invoice object that fits the bill. This isn't the end of t...

One contact multiple accounts
We work with several contacts who are responsible for multiple accounts and I can't figure out the best way to handle this in CRM. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to handle this? There are a few ways you can skin it. 1. Though contact can belong to only one account, it can be a primary contact for multiple accounts. 2. Built-in Relationship Roles (available under Settings) allow to create new relationships between accounts and contacts. Once relationship is set up, account records are going to be available on a contact form under Relationships. 3. If relationship needs to car...

AP Credit Card Best Practices
Can someone point me to some documentation on the best practices for setting up A/P credit cards? We pay a lot of things with cc, and it is no fun trying to reconcile ap when things get messed up (or have to do a return with cc, etc.). right now everything is going through 1 ap account and I am wondering if this is part of our issue, or if it will still be painful even if we break the cc's out into a separate gl account... Any ideas are much appreciated! Thanks, Neil ...

Best practice for setting default font settings in Word 2007
Could anyone tell me what Microsoft's "Best Practice" is for a company to change the default font settings in Word 2007? For example, if I wanted to change the default font to Times New Roman for all new documents and push this out to the company - does best practice remain the same as in Word 2003? Or has it changed with the inclusion of the default document settings and themes? Thanks so much! I am not sure how you did it in Word 2003, but in either case, I would not rely on customizing the Normal.dot template. You should create separate templates for your...

SQL 2005 Best Practices for log files
Microsoft says to put data and log files on different physical disks. I have already moved the backup files to a different physical disk; can I use this disk for the log files or should I get another physical disk? Rich Lawson More disks is always better, because it adds I/O, and often the amount of I/O is a bottleneck. If your budget does not allow that, and you must choose between having logs on the backup files disk or logs on the data files disk, then I would definitely go with putting the logs on the backup files disk. Having said that, it is probably even more impor...

Exchange best practices for a front-end server
After running the exchange best practices, I am getting the following: I always thought that it was necessary to use the /3GB switch if the server had more than 3 GB of memory in it. So I remove this switch in my front-end server (Exchange 2003/windows 2003) This Exchange front-end server has the /3GB startup switch in the Boot.ini file The Microsoft� Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool queries the Win32_OperatingSystem Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) class to determine the amount of virtual address space allocated to user mode processes (MaxProcessMemorySize) o...

Trendline (Power) Best Practice
I have 9,000+ data points that need to be in an X Y Scatter Chart. About 50% only have an X Value, but the absence of the Y Factor is important data. It represents no actions were needed for a 6 month period of time. If I remove those missing the Y Factor, the time spent is overstated. If I place a zero, Excel doesn't like it. I have inserted a .0000001 for the missing Y Factor and then I get a misrepresentation the opposite way. I have added all the values and averaged for a single point and non of the plots or computed trend-lines hits the mark. Am I going about this wrong a...

Best Practice Recommendations
What are the best practice recommendations as to the location of the reports and forms dictionaries? I've been told by a Microsoft escalation engineer that they don't have any best practice recommendations as to where these dictionaries should be located, and we're currently trying them on both the local user machines as well on a network share. Any experience you'd be willing to share toward this question will be greatly appreciated. The recommendations may differ based on specific needs, environment, etc. But without any additional information, typically I would...

Best Practice
I don't want to enter in each purchase I have so at the end of the month I download my bank statements from Citizens and import them which is fine but then I run in to a problem with my scheduled bills because money wont recognize the payment. Anyone else do this? Some pointers on making this work smoothly? Thank you, Justin ...

Best Practice
Excel 2003 I have to prepare a spreadsheet of user issues and how many times the same issue occurred. I have a book of issues with the details. I am not sure if I can create a chart or would it be better to just create a workbook with different tabs - worksheets may have not enough info on one sheet? I just don't know. :( I'm not sure what *THE* best practice is, but my recommendation would be a Pareto Chart. It gives the clearest display of the most-occurring events along with cumulative percents. I use them enough that I've built an automated model that re-aligns the d...

best practice for entering contacts
is it ok to have duplicate contacts: for example: a priest and secretary share and email address. We enter the secretary as a contact and list the abc@charter.net, and then we enter the priest as a contact and give him the same email address abc@charter.net. is that a good plan for the future or not? I tried forcing staff to use one contact, listing both names, so that all email addresses are entered into the shared contacts folder once, but I'm having a revolt here as people cannot seem to find the person that they want based on how it is listed. If you have any good i...

additional SQL instances/best practices
Hello: Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of the client's live company's data. Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance, stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate instance of GP SQL databases. Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate instance as a Great Plains test environment? Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test company is in a separate instance of SQL server? And, if a client does have a separate instance of...

Best practice...
Information: Access2007 Requirement: I have four text box's. The first one I would like to auto fill based on a selection made in another form. Once the auto fill is done, I want the three corresponding box's to auto fill based off of the first box's information. The first box's information is an object, while the three corresponding boxs are the three characteristics of that object. So in one form, that object is selected, then it is autofilled into a box on another form, were I then want it's three characteristics to auto populate. The question: I'm basically lookin...

Best Practices Analyzer suggestions
When I run BPAT from a workstation, as suggested, I get two extra warnings: Primary DNS failed to respond, and DNS Host Record appears to be missing. On investigation, the DNS Host Record is not missing, and the Primary DNS does not fail to respond. Actually, the problem is that the primary DNS is configured as 127.0.0.1 Since this is not Best Practice, this should have been picked up by the BPAT. If it had been picked up correctly, then the two invalid warnings could have been suppressed. Even if the invalid warnings were not suppressed, if the DNS setting generated a warning, the t...

Best Practices
I have an Exchange 2000 server. I would like all my users to use the mailboxes from the store themselves not from .PSTs. What does everybody else do? What are the limits for an exchange server? How will my exchang server act if I leave all the mail on the mailboxes and not .PSTs? This is the ideal way to manage Exchange Server Storage and delivers the best user experience to employees. Exchange Server Standard Edition has a maximum storage size of 16GB, so when you reach that limit you either need to start archiving old emails to PST storage or upgrade to Enterprise edition, which is onl...

Best Practice
We've been running Exch5.5 on an NT4 BDC without any problems for 5 years. Thinking of doing the same thing when we migrate to Win2003, Exch2003. Due to budget constraint, we plan to get a new box to run Win2003 AD (first DC) and an additional box as a backup DC (I understand there's no BDC in Win200x). The second box will be configured as Win2003 AD controller (additional controller for the same domain) with Exch2003 server running on top of it. Will this setup give us a headache in the long run or will it work just fine? Also, can Windows SBS 2003 coexist with Windows 2003 Standard ...

Best Practices: #include
I was wondering what those in this group consider 'best practices' when including a header file: in the .cpp or .h. In this respect, we're considering a 'when both work' scenario. My current philosophy: essential headers in the .h file, otherwise, in the .cpp file. I'm sure there's much opinion on this! Balboos Balboos wrote: > I was wondering what those in this group consider 'best practices' when > including a header file: in the .cpp or .h. > > In this respect, we're considering a 'when both work' scenario. > > My...

Best practice to modify list during iteration
Hi, I'm writing a scheduling class. On each clock tick, I scan the trigger list to see which if any triggers have been activated. If so, execute the callback and if it is a periodic trigger to reinsert it in the list at some future time. So it's a matter of removing and possibly adding the trigger within the same function. I don't that you can modify the list while enumerating it - ie: psuedocode foreach (trigger in triggers) { if (reachedtime) deleteit if (trigger is Periodic) reinsert in list) } so I scan the list, find the active triggers, use trigg...

best practice?
Is there definitive advice on Excel best practice? About what? Narrow your question somewhat. What feature or procedure are you asking about? HTH Otto "hsibbs" <hsibbs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29278695-0DB6-4510-AB44-71316541D819@microsoft.com... > Is there definitive advice on Excel best practice? There is definitively no definitive advice on anything. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "hsibbs" <hsibbs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29278695-0DB6-4510-AB44-71316541D8...

best practices?
I have the code below in the format section of a report Me.txtTotalEmp is an unbound control should display the total of a specific employee. My problem is that if the report for a single employee spills over to a second sheet, me.txtTotalEmp printed is 0 while the single sheets totals are correct for the employee, but if I put the code in the _print section of the employee footer, then sometimes the total amount is outrageously incorrect on some employees and correct on others. How can I correct the problem? What is the best practice for determining when to use "on format...

Best Practices
I have developed an Excel 2007 Workbook that uses vba quite extensively for allowing privileges, determining the user's Excel version, hiding, protecting, etc. In the privileges area, external users have the "PLY" commandbar shutdown so the cannot browse through the internal sheets. They also have different ribbon tabs, groups and buttons. However, the Workbook template will be placed on the Internet for download by potential partners (external users) as well as hackers no doubt. If it is placed in a non-trusted location and run the Microsoft "enable macros&qu...

Best Practice?
Hello, In another thread I found the following quotation: "You should only use try/catch. File.Exists() is a waste of time, because you always _have_ to have the try/catch block anyway. Even if File.Exists() returns true, the file could disappear before you can actually open it and load it as an XDocument, and you could experience other errors as well." I want to know in common if it is better to _only_ catch exceptions instead of verifying dependencies like existing files before an operation. I would go a run through (and bookmark) this article: http://blogs....