Unknown/broken .doc file

Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert it?

Here's an example file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/389929742/DP_Kolousek_-_Olejnicek.doc.html

This file looks like it might once have been a Word Document but it has been
seriously messed up in some way (perhaps with an attempt to convert it to a
different format, that rather looks like it may have failed).

By opening it in NotePad, I managed to manually extract a page or so of text
from it that looks as though it may be in an Eastern European language but I
have no idea whether it makes sense. I cannot think of any automated way to
deal with lots of similar files. Sorry.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

 www.WordArticles.com

"officeuser" <officeuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
> help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert
> it?
>
> Here's an example file:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/389929742/DP_Kolousek_-_Olejnicek.doc.html

0
Tony
5/21/2010 12:38:33 PM
You cam also open it in WordPad, but that isn't much better. It is corrupt
beyond rescue.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"officeuser" <officeuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
> help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert
> it?
>
> Here's an example file:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/389929742/DP_Kolousek_-_Olejnicek.doc.html

0
Terry
5/21/2010 1:10:22 PM
> Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
> help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert it?

The thing is these are actually independently (by different people)
generated files submitted as Word documents (only .doc extension was
validated to accept it). I have at least 10 of them, probably a few dozens.

Yes, the language is Czech.

Here are several more links:
http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015893
http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1016149
http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1016149
http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1015902
http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015902
Perhaps the .wps extension suggests they are Works files?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

>> Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
>> help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert
>> it?
>
> The thing is these are actually independently (by different people)
> generated files submitted as Word documents (only .doc extension was
> validated to accept it). I have at least 10 of them, probably a few
> dozens.
>
> Yes, the language is Czech.
>
> Here are several more links:
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015893
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1016149
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1016149
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1015902
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015902

0
Suzanne
5/21/2010 3:19:58 PM
As previously answered, they are corrupt.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"officeuser" <officeuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I have several .doc files which fail to open in Word 2007. Can you
>> help me identify what file type it is exactly and how to open or convert
>> it?
>
> The thing is these are actually independently (by different people)
> generated files submitted as Word documents (only .doc extension was
> validated to accept it). I have at least 10 of them, probably a few
> dozens.
>
> Yes, the language is Czech.
>
> Here are several more links:
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015893
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1016149
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1016149
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=2&adipidno=1015902
> http://portal.utb.cz/wps/PA_StagPortletsJSR168/KvalifPraceDownloadServlet?typ=3&adipidno=1015902

0
Terry

'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook'
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

Excel file won't open
When logged in under my own profile and I try to open an Excel file fro Explorer I get the following message - 'Cannot find the file filename.XLS (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all require libraries are available. ' Excel itself opens but the file won't. However If I open the fil through Excel using File | Open it works fine (i.e. not throug Explorer). I've tried the fixes suggested on the MS site but they don' work, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled office. Strangely when I log on under a different profile on m...

How can I delete PART of a .wmv file?
I have recorded an interview. Unfortunately, I didn't properly turn the recording off and I captured an additional 3 hours of my daily life that I don't want to archive with this recording. How can I do that? You need an audio editor A nice piece of freeware like http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ will do -- http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com "kenyadee" wrote: > I have recorded an interview. Unfortunately, I didn't properly turn the > recording off and I captured an additional 3 hours of my daily life that I > don't want to archive ...

populate Keywords with a batch file?
I'd like to know how to create a batch file that can store a key word (including a trailing comma). I'd open an appropriate word.doc, run the batch file, and that keyword and comma would be inserted in the Keywords panel, either preceding any existing keywords there, or appended to any existing keywords there. So if I had multiple batch files, each embedded with their own unique keyword and comma, I could invoke certain ones as desired, one after another, progressively populating my document's keywords panel with multiple keywords all strung together with comma d...

I cannot open Word files for no apparent reason
I can't open files that I've used frequently, recently...then I can't close the blue window! I have to End Task. Possibly it may be the problem below. However, if this doesn't work, please let us know the version of Word and Windows and are they patched fully up to date? Also, are you able to open Word but not the documents? Details were sadly lacking in your post. That's a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word has been running when updates are installed. Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA selecte...

Broken GP Button
In modifying the PM_Vendor_Maintenance form in Dex it seems that we broke the Address button on that form. Is there anyway to set the functionality back to the original GP functionality? ...

Unknown error 0x80040201 #2
Having trouble with some users, they keep getting the below mentioned error while sending and receiving e-mails. All POP3 settings are correct and mail does get received but while sending the message comes up. Funny thing is that e-mails still go out. Only happens while sending... Error msg: Unknown error 0x80040201 Al <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Having trouble with some users, they keep getting the below mentioned > error while sending and receiving e-mails. All POP3 settings are > correct and mail does get received but while sending the message > com...

fixed-width files
Hi, does anyone know how to convert and excel spreasheet (xls) format to fixed width file. I tried the 'Save As' but couldn't save it as a fixed width. Any help will be appreicated. Thanks! You need to save it as type "Formatted Text (Space delimited) (*.prn)". "sk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:255d001c46056$8814e060$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, does anyone know how to convert and excel spreasheet > (xls) format to fixed width file. I tried the 'Save As' > but couldn't save it as a fixed width. Any...

Error "Unable to Read Item" opening .msg files
I am having intermittent problems where a user will have saved a .MSG file from Outlook 2003, and then is unable to open it later. By default, these saved files are marked read-only, and the following error is displayed "Microsoft Office Outlook - You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation." If the read-only option is unchecked, they receive the following error trying to open the file "Microsoft Office Outlook - Unable to read the item." This problem seems to occur randomly to different users. All of my users are using Outlook 20...

excel opens pst and adobe files
when i open an excel file excel also attempted to open my archive.pst file and a couple other non-related pdf files. Why might this be and how can i fix it? Maybe, if you stored the files in the XLStart folder, Excel will try to open them. Check Tools / Options.... General tab, At Startup, "Open all files in" HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "T2theDOT" <T2theDOT@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e3f02060-792c-4701-9684-47fc42511f87@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > when i open an excel file excel also attempted to open my archive.pst > file and a couple other n...

how to use bat file to open serveral html files wiht one instance of ie8
when I tried on ie8 with bat file like "<<i8dir>>iexplore" h1.html "<<i8dir>>iexplore" h2.html "<<i8dir>>iexplore" h3.html they all opened in one single tab not in multiple tabs what is the correct way to do this. I am getting tired of manually opening a number of test html files for my app development and test Developer-specific resources include: MSDN IE Development Forum (post such questions here instead) http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads Tip: When posting in Develo...

Outlook 2007: Data file was not closed properly last time....
Almost everytime I open Outlook I get the message "A data file was not closed properly last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected while the check is in progress". It then checks the .pst file with the cogs icon appearing in the lower right hand corner of the window - "Data file check in progress" I've had this problem for ages but I've only just got round to addressing it. I assumed it was related to Kaspersky Internet Security 7 but on advice of their technical support I uninstalled it and the problem persists. I have a ...

.ics file adds appointment even when there is a conflict
I've a .net application that creates .ics file and send over email. Recepient (Outlook 2003) is able to open that file and add appointment to their calendar. Issue is that the appointment is added even when the recepient has another event scheduled during that time. How can the recepient get an alert if there is a conflict with existing event during that time. ...

Unknown Error
I find it incredible that Microsoft will allow crappy software to pervade their software regime. I am helping my son with his exemail email to do the simple task of deleting his "Deleted Items" folder that contains over 3000 items. Some items can be deleted one at a time but after a few successful deletions the "Unknown Error" appears and one must jump to a new item on the list to see if it can be deleted. selecting several items to be deleted at once nearly always results in "Unknown Error". The task of deleting is so time consuming and frustratin...

How to accomodate the blankspaces in a file
Hi Continuing with the file and read/write aspect, i would like to know 1. When i get data from many edit boxes into a file i get data that has been obtained via GetWindowText I would like to get the whole data ie including the Blankspaces say An address has a MAX value of 30 char but in my edit box i give only 10 char, i need to add the BLANKSPACES into the Text file where iam storing it..///....How do i do that??? CString Item; m_Edit.GetWindowText(Item); //truncate everything past 30 chars Item = Item.Left(30); //now if Item has less than 30 chars then //this line will add as many spa...

unknown e-mail recipient
My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not know. The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is returned for some reason. This is happening on an almost daily basis. "Kelly" <mrsjdh@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eb2201c43cf0$092e66b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My Outlook is sending e-mails to addresses that I do not > know. The e-mails do not show up in my outbox or sent > box, but I find out about them when the e-mail is > returned for some reason. This is happening on an almost > daily ba...

Where are the backup files?
I am using Money Deluxe 2006 (for investment transaction only) in Windows 7 Home Premium. The Money folder in Program Files doesn't show the current backups. Where is Windows 7 hiding them? In microsoft.public.money, tedhopkins wrote: >I am using Money Deluxe 2006 (for investment transaction only) in Windows 7 >Home Premium. The Money folder in Program Files doesn't show the current >backups. Where is Windows 7 hiding them? The backups are put where you specify in Tools->Settings->BackupSettings I suggest checking x Automatically backup my Money...

insert the last date when the file was modifie
Dear all; This should be an easy one for you ; I work on spreadsheets daily and then save them to refer to them later or update them. What I would like to achieve is : When I actually work on a spreadsheet - i want to insert the date of the day only when the data changed or update the contents of the worksheet. i mean what i am trying to achieve is insert the last date in a specefic cell when that the file was modified (upadted-cahnge of contents) Is there perhaps any way to do this I thank you for your help and your offers Hi Chetoos. Take a look at Mr. McGimpsey's site: ht...

How do I reformat a doc to eliminate an extra line between paras?
The document has an extra line between each para., and also the paras. are blocked. I want them indented. Creating and applying a new style does not solve the problem because the new style does not recognize [or "care"?] that these two aspects are different in the original format. I'm very frustrated @ this. Thank you for suggestions to try. mm If you click on the Show/Hide button ¶, do you see a ¶ between each of the paragraphs (in addition to the one at the end of the text) If so, use Edit>Replace to replace ^p^p by ^p That will get rid of the e...

Jet 4.0 SP4 or 5 Upgrade and NTDLL.DLL missing file
Following Tony Towes suggesting for better performance in A2k, While tring to upgrade my jet by downloadin the file Windows2000-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe from the net I get an error NTDLL.DLL missing. What can i do??? "Chedva" <chedvag@matrix-it.co.il> wrote: >Following Tony Towes suggesting for better performance in A2k, > >While tring to upgrade my jet by downloadin the file >Windows2000-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe from the net I get an error NTDLL.DLL >missing. What can i do??? Are you in fact running Windows 2000? Otherwise this could be a virus or something else...

Packager cannot package empty files
Packager cannot package empty files.. This message is a new one to me, just showing up when I'm trying to insert a clip art image into a Publisher document. Doesn't happen with ALL clips -- what can I do to fix it? (Have been using Publisher for years - currently running 2007) I'm getting that same problem on my work computer. Outlook, Word, Excel - and like you, not every time, not every day. I wish I had an answer for you. This started last week for me. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies&qu...

Auto emailing files
Hi I have a file I've created in excel. It is linked to an external database. It has some data, a table and graph. I need to send this to various people every monday. How do I update the data in the excel table that I made, overwrite the previous file and evey monday send this attachment to some people. Hoping to do all this automaticaly. Keep in mind that I've never writen a batch file or anything like that. Thank you in advance, Mike zderos@hotmail.com <zderos@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file I've created in excel. It is linked to an external > database...

Help adding word doc to excel tab?
Here is the deal. I have an expense report procedure written in word and the expense report itself is in Excel. Boss loves it and oh by the way can you add the Word procedures document into an Excel tab. My answer was sure and now I have farted around with it way to long. Sure can be humbling when what you though you knew wasn't really known at all. I have tried inserting an object, browsing, and picking the word document. Appears to work but only grabs the 1st page of the word doc. I have tried all sorts of things and I won't even mention most of them because all I manage to get fro...

Unknown printer error
HI i am using ibm surepos 300 with ibm suremark printer with OPOS 1.9 v and i encounter "unknown printer error" intermittently. And some receipt takes time to process. Any solutions for this? Hi, I have a customer with the same issue (same hardware too i think). They get the printer error as the sale if finishing, most of the time you can hit retry and it goes on through. But it is a very big hassle when they get busy. It is happening probably 10-12 times a day. If you have any insight into this or have any suggestions please let me know....Thanks!! rbroach@dalcom.com ...

# charts per file ??
Is there an upper limit to the number of charts a single spreadsheet can have? I have a spreadsheet that seemed to work fine with 175 or so charts. When the number of charts exceeding ~ 200, I started getting memory related errors. I have tried spliting the spreadsheets into two files (one opens the other programatically) but get the same kind of errors when the number of charts exceeds ~ 200 for both open spreadsheets. Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks I believe that is depending on the RAM in your computer. If you check help and type in specifications you'll get a lot of...