PC freezes when I open a file

I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs.  Whenever I open it, my mouse
cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself remains
frozen for five minutes.

If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially corrupt.
Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult to
give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function first.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs.  Whenever I open it, my
> mouse
> cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself
> remains
> frozen for five minutes.

0
Terry
11/24/2009 7:23:33 PM
Word 2003

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially corrupt.
> Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult to
> give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function first.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs.  Whenever I open it, my
> > mouse
> > cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself
> > remains
> > frozen for five minutes.
>
> .

Mike

Try Open & Repair in w2003.

If that fails, get the document opened and SaveAs choosing html format.
Close it, reopen it and SaveAs back as a Word document.

Terry

> Word 2003
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially
>> corrupt.
>> Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult
>> give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function
>> first.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>>
>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs.  Whenever I open it, my
>> > mouse
>> > cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself
>> > remains
>> > frozen for five minutes.
>>
>> .

0
Terry
11/25/2009 8:48:46 AM
I used Detect and Repair.  Now, Office is completely destroyed.  When I try
to launch an Excel spreadsheet from an Outlook email, it goes into a
nonsensical Intstaller window, looks for an .msi file that cannot be found,
then crashes.

I tried the other idea and now the document is frozen even longer.

Result: document still freezes PC, now Excel malfunctioning badly.

I tried the Installer Cleanup, that had zero effect.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Mike
>
> Try Open & Repair in w2003.
>
> If that fails, get the document opened and SaveAs choosing html format.
> Close it, reopen it and SaveAs back as a Word document.
>
> Terry
>
> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Word 2003
> >
> > "Terry Farrell" wrote:
> >
> >> If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially
> >> corrupt.
> >> Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult
> >> give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function
> >> first.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
> >>
> >> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> .
> >>
> .

Who said anything about Detect and Repair? I wrote OPEN AND REPAIR - a
document level function.

I suggest that you log in as Administrator and reinstall Office.

Terry

> I used Detect and Repair.  Now, Office is completely destroyed.  When I
> try
> to launch an Excel spreadsheet from an Outlook email, it goes into a
> nonsensical Intstaller window, looks for an .msi file that cannot be
> found,
> then crashes.
>
> I tried the other idea and now the document is frozen even longer.
>
> Result: document still freezes PC, now Excel malfunctioning badly.
>
> I tried the Installer Cleanup, that had zero effect.
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> Mike
>>
>> Try Open & Repair in w2003.
>>
>> If that fails, get the document opened and SaveAs choosing html format.
>> Close it, reopen it and SaveAs back as a Word document.
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Word 2003

>> .

0
Terry
11/26/2009 12:31:05 PM
What is Open and Repair and how is it done in 2003?

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Who said anything about Detect and Repair? I wrote OPEN AND REPAIR - a
> document level function.
>
> I suggest that you log in as Administrator and reinstall Office.
>
> Terry
>
> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I used Detect and Repair.  Now, Office is completely destroyed.  When I
> > try
> > to launch an Excel spreadsheet from an Outlook email, it goes into a
> > nonsensical Intstaller window, looks for an .msi file that cannot be
> > found,
> > then crashes.
> >
> > I tried the other idea and now the document is frozen even longer.
> >
> > Result: document still freezes PC, now Excel malfunctioning badly.
> >
> > I tried the Installer Cleanup, that had zero effect.
> >
> > "Terry Farrell" wrote:
> >
> >> Mike
> >>
> >> Try Open & Repair in w2003.
> >>
> >> If that fails, get the document opened and SaveAs choosing html format.
> >> Close it, reopen it and SaveAs back as a Word document.
> >>
> >> Terry
> >>
> >> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Select a file. Click the arrow beside the Open button and choose Open and
Repair.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

> What is Open and Repair and how is it done in 2003?
>
> "Terry Farrell" wrote:
>
>> Who said anything about Detect and Repair? I wrote OPEN AND REPAIR - a
>> document level function.
>>
>> I suggest that you log in as Administrator and reinstall Office.
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I used Detect and Repair.  Now, Office is completely destroyed.  When I
>> > try
>> > to launch an Excel spreadsheet from an Outlook email, it goes into a
>> > nonsensical Intstaller window, looks for an .msi file that cannot be
>> > found,
>> > then crashes.
>> >
>> > I tried the other idea and now the document is frozen even longer.
>> >
>> > Result: document still freezes PC, now Excel malfunctioning badly.
>> >
>> > I tried the Installer Cleanup, that had zero effect.

>> .

0
Suzanne
11/26/2009 8:22:53 PM
I don't see it.  The arrow only offers Word, Wordpad, and Explorer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Select a file. Click the arrow beside the Open button and choose Open and
> Repair.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What is Open and Repair and how is it done in 2003?
> >
> > "Terry Farrell" wrote:
> >
> >> Who said anything about Detect and Repair? I wrote OPEN AND REPAIR - a
> >> document level function.
> >>
> >> I suggest that you log in as Administrator and reinstall Office.
> >>
> >> Terry
> >>
> >> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Are you selecting the file in the Open dialog box (Ctrl+O) from within Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

>I don't see it.  The arrow only offers Word, Wordpad, and Explorer.
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Select a file. Click the arrow beside the Open button and choose Open and
>> Repair.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is Open and Repair and how is it done in 2003?

>> .

0
Stefan
11/27/2009 10:17:57 AM
Yes I am.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> Are you selecting the file in the Open dialog box (Ctrl+O) from within Word?
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't see it.  The arrow only offers Word, Wordpad, and Explorer.
> >
> > "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> >
> >> Select a file. Click the arrow beside the Open button and choose Open and
> >> Repair.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type
> >> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >> http://word.mvps.org
> >>
> >> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

When you use File, Open (Ctrl+O) in Word, at the bottom right of the File
Open dialog, the OPEN button has a little arrow attached to its side and
clicking this will expose the Open and Repair option. If you don't have it,
you don't have Word 2003.

Terry

> Yes I am.
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> Are you selecting the file in the Open dialog box (Ctrl+O) from within
>> Word?
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I don't see it.  The arrow only offers Word, Wordpad, and Explorer.

>> .

0
Terry
11/28/2009 12:15:48 PM
From the description, though, of his options being Word, WordPad, and
(Internet) Explorer, it sounds very much as if he's trying to open the
document from My Computer or the Documents MRU list and is right-clicking on
the filename.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> When you use File, Open (Ctrl+O) in Word, at the bottom right of the File
> Open dialog, the OPEN button has a little arrow attached to its side and
> clicking this will expose the Open and Repair option. If you don't have
> it, you don't have Word 2003.
>
> Terry
>
> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I am.
>>
>> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>>
>>> Are you selecting the file in the Open dialog box (Ctrl+O) from within
>>> Word?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>>

>>> "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> .

0
Suzanne

How do I clean a file
I have a magazine on a publisher file of 72 pages. It has standing info and adverts remaining from one issue to the next. It is going incredibly slowly and often blanks out altogether. All other files are fine What are you trying to do? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "GrannieMargaret" <GrannieMargaret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC18686-DD38-4FA8-994A-B4C7017330D0@microsoft.com... >I have a magazine on a publisher file of 72 pages. It has standing info >and &...

Pc Based Home Theater
Monster MCC AV100 Activity-based A/V Home Theater Controller Price:$279.95 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000CQPFCU Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000CQPFCU ...

Excell 2000
Some time ago I created an Excel file that utilized macros. The file was a Village Software template that I used for invoices. Today I tried to open this file, and could not. Reason: my system informed me that my "security levels" would not allow the file to be opened. 1: How do I alter/change the security levels? 2: What is the preferred way to open this file? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time to use this service. Dependant on what version you are using you can set macro security under tools>macro>security and sometimes it will be turned off for a...

outlook freezes every time i open
every time i open the application, it freezes...it may be stuck on a message, but i cant delete it until it opens without crashing...i get the "not responding" header at the top if i try to click anywhere. suggestions? thanks casey ...

importing dbx files
The hardrive on my old computer died i managed to get it going long enough to transfer files over onto the new one. the problem is i created a snap shot of all my e-mail content from outlook express and installed it on to the new machine using windows mail however they all came accross with a .dbx extention and i cannot open them. i tried importing them in through windows mail but it wont allow me to do it. I have some critical info in these e-mails i need to access any help would be apprecisted "email drama" <email drama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

vcs files
Hi folks, had a look at ebay and saw the contents of the VCS file they generate when you select the option add a reminder to your outlook for when an auction ends. Can anyone either answer the following questions or point me to where I can get more info on the following? I am interested to generate VCS files from an application - where can I get the full definition of what the content of a VCS file can contain? Is it possible to generate VCS content which would modify or delete an appointment in outlook (instead of simply adding a new one - say a date or duration has change - is there...

Keep formatting PC to PC
I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document from another PC, there's formating have changed. so i wanna know, how to keep page formating, without changing the page sizes with the contents PC to PC? All depends of which version of Excel the PC have. Play it safe by formatting in the lowest version PC. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "chari" <chari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A2FEB7F-FE4A-49CF-862A-25D79086BC8F@microsoft.com... >I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document fro...

Resolve Error in opening Excel File zip file from a CD?
I have an error 0x80004005 when opening a excel file from a CD. It states it cannot find it's destination Opening a file from CD is always a crap-shoot. Copy the zip file to HDD, unzip it and open the Excel file from there. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0700, rw5400 <rw5400@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an error 0x80004005 when opening a excel file from a CD. It states >it cannot find it's destination ...

Converting a PDF file to MS Publisher
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C7B003.9DFC8130 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have adobe acrobat version 5.0. I have a PDF file I want to drop into = and manipulate (size) into a publisher file. I am using windows XP. Is = there a way to do this? I think I can convert to a eps or ps file but = don't have much knowledge there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Rob ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C7B003.9DFC8130 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Con...

Macrons
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I use macrons (e.g. M&amp;#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question marks (?) at the other end if the user is on a PC. <br><br>Macrons translate fine between PC and Mac when using WORD, the problem is only with Entourage. Is there a setting I migh missing? Any chance this issue could be resolved with Office 2008? On 2010-01-12 03:39:00 -0500, Dyanna@officeformac.com said: > When I use macrons (e.g. M&#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question > mark...

open document default
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC This is probably a stupid question, but with Word 2008 installed, all my old documents are now opening under Text edit rather than Word. I know I can change this in "get info" foe each individual document, but I have hundreds of such documents! How can I make Word the default to open all documents rather than "text Edit"? In the Get info dialog, there is a little button that says "Change All". Click it on one of them. pdg01@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating Sys...

corupt files
can someone help me restore some corrupt files? One of the users used floppy to save her excel file and now it is corrupt. I did disk repair and I can open the files now but all of the changes that she made over the weekend were lost. is there a copy of the file somewhere on the computer? like temp folder or something like that? computer is XP professional and office XP. your help is greatly appreciated. George ...

pc
vielleicht gehts jetzt wieder mama ...

How to keep email header from opening text... ?
How do I do the following: I want to stop the body of my email message from opening automatically when I highlight the header. ( but not double click it, I know it will open if I double click ) This lets me delete spam without reading the crap. I think I did it once but can't remember/or find the tool. TIA. Disable the Preview Pane (renamed the Reading Pane in Outlook 2003). -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:mgYnb.97810$PD3.520260...

opening earlier version documents
I have Publisher 2000. Someone sent me a file from an earlier version. Publisher says it can't open other versions. Is there a way to open it. Jon C I suspect the received document is actually a later version. Have your sender save the publication as a 2000 Publisher document and resend. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com <jonc@superiorfibers.com> wrote in message news:1178635044.541799.227920@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have Publisher 2000. Someone sent me a file from an earlier version. > P...

outlook opens gif attachments but not jpeg , why
any help on this.always worked on old pc What program is set to open JPEG items on your PC? "blackthorn" <blackthorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB170D6B-1DEB-4180-8B76-95ED41542100@microsoft.com... > any help on this.always worked on old pc ...

Using Publisher 2000 files in Word 2000
In very simple words please... How may I make mixed text and clipart files produced in Publisher 2000 be moved to Word 2000 and - remaining unchanged in appearance and editability - save as .doc files? Thank for any help and/or advice. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Simply, you cannot. Copy and paste via the clipboard is the only way and no layout format will be retained. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Serendipity pill@blueyonder.co.uk... > How may I make mixed text and clipart files pr...

moving files
How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are installed separately. If you are talking about the documents you created, you wouldn't have to. But if you wanted to - copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "dunefarm" <dune@discus.micro.com> wrote in message news:3854FB0D-CB6B-4D3A-A922-0A982890D3FD@microsoft.com... > How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are > installed separately. ...

why is saving the auto recovery file postponed for normal
can anyone tell me why ' saving the auto recovery file postponed for normal '. and how to correct . thanks Hi, keku 1, What program are you talking about? Version? Operating system? I could guess some version of Word, but it's hard to help with very few details. Tips for Posting: http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "keku 1" <keku 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F3B949A-CCBB-4939-BE3C-AC27434AED88@microsoft.com... > can anyone tell me why ' ...

about data synchronization between pc and smartphone
I use eVC3/eVC4 to develop for smartphone platform. My desktop program saves/updates data into files on hard disk. On smartphone device,the program saves/updates data into ram or SD card. When the smartphone device connect PC,microsoft activeSync works.How do I keep data synchronization between pc and smartphone? Thanks. ___________________________________ http://www.msale.net/bbs a Chinese-language message board for developers,including palm,ppc,symbian,and etc. http://www.zirong.net/blog/ Miken's private life ...

saving workbook asking to rename file every time I save
I want to save an excel document after a modification, it will rename the file by adding 1 each time I save the document. Thank you! francie Hi is VBA a feasible solution for you? You could use the Workbook_BeforeSave event and increment the number. Note: these kind of solution won't work if macros are disabled. So please post back if this is an option for you. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany francie wrote: > I want to save an excel document after a modification, it > will rename the file by adding 1 each > time I save the document. > > Thank you! > &...

Macros Run In "This Workbook" vs "All Open Workbooks"
Dear Fellow Excelites, I want to set a particular workbook to run macros in "This Workbook" only. I've been trying to save it with that setting in Macro -> 'Run In:' but it doesn't seem to stick. I also want to be able to copy this workbook and have the new workbook also run macros only in "This Workbook". It keeps popping back to "All Open Workbooks" at some point. :( Can you help me? Thank you, Janet Janet, The setting you're looking at is only to specify which macros are shown in the Tools - Macro dialog. Any macro can still b...

Excel files open very slowly
Win XP Pro SP3 MS Office 2007 Toshiba Tecra M5 1.56GBt RAM. 80GBt HDD free space, 2.0GHz Centrino Dual Core CPU. Each and every time I receive an .xls file from any source, Excel takes at least 30-45 seconds to open it, regardless of file size. I have turned off AV to test. AV has no bearing. Once I saw a notice that Excel was operating in compatibility mode. What do I have to do avoid this problem? This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I open Excel first, then the desired workbook. It doesn't hesitate that way. (I do think my issue is AV but I can't do an...

Excel should open workbooks in seperate windows like Word does
I'm using Office 2003 for Windows and I have a multimonitor setup. If I have 2 Word docs open, I can have each in a seperate window, allowing me to place them in seperate monitors. Excel and PowerPoint do not allow that - all open docs are in the one program window. I would like to have this functionality as well. I also have a Mac, and Excel for the Mac lets you do this, no problem. Thanks!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in...

Openning/Closing Balances
Is there a report where I can get the openning and closing amounts for the gl accounts as per period? Sure rcr, GL Trial Balance. Reports>Financial>Trial Balance. Set the parameters for the period you want to see. The only drawback here is if you need to see multiple periods in one report. This report will only give you one period at a time. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com I looked at that, but I want to see all periods, we closed a financial year and unfortunately there were 3 expense accounts wit...