No longer able to open docx files in Word 2000

I have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack installed on my old Win /
MS Office 2000 PC and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to open docx
files, but I can't open them any more for some reason.

Word 2000 comes up with a 'very helpful' error message saying "There was
an error opening file" (this happens with any/all docx files).

I uninstalled and re-installed the Compatibility Pack, but the problem
persists.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herbert

Any suggestions?

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

On 17.05.2010 07:32 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:
> I have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack installed on my old Win /
> MS Office 2000 PC and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to open docx
> files, but I can't open them any more for some reason.
>
> Word 2000 comes up with a 'very helpful' error message saying "There was
> an error opening file" (this happens with any/all docx files).
>
> I uninstalled and re-installed the Compatibility Pack, but the problem
> persists.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herbert
5/19/2010 6:12:13 PM
I was beginning to get a little irritated by this problem, but I just
realised that Open Office appears perfectly capable of opening docx
files 8-)

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

On 19.05.2010 19:12 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:
> Any suggestions?
>
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslation.co.uk
>

> On 17.05.2010 07:32 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:
>> I have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack installed on my old Win /
>> MS Office 2000 PC and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to open docx
>> files, but I can't open them any more for some reason.
>>
>> Word 2000 comes up with a 'very helpful' error message saying "There was
>> an error opening file" (this happens with any/all docx files).
>>
>> I uninstalled and re-installed the Compatibility Pack, but the problem
>> persists.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Herbert Eppel
>> www.HETranslation.co.uk
0
Herbert

Opening New Customer Form
Hi... Can I open a new customer form directly from my add-in code... I have some conditions to be checked if that are satisfied then New Customer Form should get opened... Waiting for reply... :-( Vicky... :-) Have you tried using SendKeys? Rob "Vicky" <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25C2C6E6-E76F-4354-8F23-E4DAFF718EC9@microsoft.com... > Hi... > > Can I open a new customer form directly from my add-in code... I have > some > conditions to be checked if that are satisfied then New Customer Form > should > get opened... ...

Strange Errors When Opening Spreadsheet
Okay here's a weird one....but perhaps i'm being stupid.... when a user goes to open up an excel file (eg, called testing 123.xls) it comes up with the following..... 'c:\temp\testing.xls' could not be found. check the spelling of th filename, and verify that the file location is correct. when you click ok it will then come up with the next message being ... '123.xls' could not be found. check the spelling of the filename, an verify that the file location is correct. when you click ok the file opens fine. however if the file was called testing123.xls it would op...

Inserting a file name
I have the following line of code in a macro "FINDER;C:\My Documents\MR02.IQY", Destination:=Range("A1")) Is there a way to have a box come up (with the present file in it) and ask me what file name I would like to find and then have it inserted into the code so I can chenge it if it was neccesary otherwise it would contain the present one if I would just like to update it ? The directory would always be the same, would just like the option to change the file name if needed. Thanks Hi, See GetOpenFilename or GetSaveFilename Methods. HTH --- Orlando Magalh�es Filho (...

Exchange 2000 SP3
When I add an additional reciepient policy email address the server does not populate the Exchange email address properties. I have applied all latest service packs, hotfixes and applied policy, update the RUS and rebooted the serverand stillno change. Percy wrote: > When I add an additional reciepient policy email address the server > does not populate the Exchange email address properties. I have > applied all latest service packs, hotfixes and applied policy, update > the RUS and rebooted the serverand stillno change. In the mailbox properties of each user, is "automat...

Hyperlink on longer automatic
Word 2007 and Excell 2007, e-mail address no longer a hyperlink (automatically) as I type. Why? Also in 2007, where I go to to change the color and format of the hyperlinks (i.e. customize).- learning keeps you young Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, under "Replace as you type," select "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks." Click OK twice. To change the color of hyperlinks, modify the Hyperlink and FollowedHyperlink styles. -- Stefan ...

Programmatically finding and deleting registry entries. 2000 and XP
Hi. I need to write a deinstaller program that goes through the registry reads a few entries then deletes them on 2000 and XP. The reason I have to do this is because the Remove feature of the Modems control panel doesnt clean everything up properly and things lie around that interfere with subsequent installations of the driver. Specifically: 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001 But it wont always be \0001 And there are lots of that particular GUID under Class, so ideally I need a way to find the exact key somehow. Or do I...

how do i set up outlook notifiy me of emails with out opening it
i am trying to find out how to configure my outlook to run in the notification area but not have the hole program running and it tell me i have an email. It does that on my computer at work but it doesnt do that on my personal computer it only does this if i have outlook open already If you're using a POP3 server for your mail there are a number of free small POP3 checkers that will tell you that there's mail waiting to be retreived. "Donald Wyman" <Donald Wyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9863E305-7C09-4ABA-BBF7-A105C162EB7E@microsoft.com......

Corrupt .mny file in Money 2000.
I'm pretty sure my .mny file got corrupted. When I start Money 2000, everything is normal for the first few seconds. I can see my account balances etc. Then I get a message that Windows XP must close Money and there is an error message about 'floating point division by zero'. I've tried every salvage utility I could find and nothing has worked. I've also read thru a ton of threads in this and other groups and have come up dry. I've opened a case with Microsoft, but that hasn't worked either. They just suggest to try the salvage utilities. I do have a ba...

template no longer blank
At some point I must have saved over a template so now when I open a "new" document the template appears with language. How can I delete this and return to a blank template? I've tried saving this to another file but have had no luck. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "baffled" <baffled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02A6D0A8-12EF-4730-8984-B3B56D4EE6CA@microsoft.com... > At some point I must have saved over a template so now when I open a "new" &...

2000 to 2003 Exchange Migration and Public Folders
We began a migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 on Friday. Began by setting up Replication of the Public Folders to the new Exchange Server using Microsoft Article 307917 "How to remove the first Exchange 2000 server computer from the site". The article says to wait for the replication to complete and make sure they are synchronized and then remove the source server from the Replication tab. While waiting for this to complete we Rehomed the Offline Address Book. I found the folder begining with /o=Organization Name and added the replica to the new server. I now...

Openning Office 2003 Software
I have Office 2003 installed on my laptop. Each time I open a program, that program requires me to accept the licensing/terms and conditions agreement. I would like to accept it once and not see it again everytime I open a program. How can I make it stop asking me to accept the agreement everytime I open an Office 2003 program? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=office+2003+eula+keeps+popping+up&aq=0m&oq=EULA+keeps+popping+up&aqi=g-m2 Maynard wrote: > I have Office 2003 installed on my laptop. Each time I open a program, that > program requires me ...

Outlook 2003 not saving multiple messages as text files
This is weird: when I select several messages and Save (them) As: text files, the file in question only gets the headers, not the bodies: ex: select two messages then Save As text files: From: John Doe Sent: Tuesday, 24 June 2003 09:24 To: Some (E-mail) Subject: Interesting From: Kate Bloggs Sent: Wednesday, 12 November 2003 08:31 To: Other (E-mail) Subject: See you on Monday Nothing else! Why would this very basic function change in Outlook 2003? Outlook 2002, 2000 and 97 save the messages perfectly! Outlook 2003 only saves one (full) text file per message; if I select two or more messa...

Outlook not opening links
since formatting my drive I can't get any links i get emailed to me open,they will only open if explorer is already open thanx for any suggestions ...

Scanner & Camera Wizard no longer works
Hi All, Whenever I'd plug my camera into my pc, the wizard would start and made downloading the pictures & any video files I had very simple. I have NO idea what has happened or what I did but all of a sudden the wizard no longer starts when I plug my camera in. I've tried the following; Open Explorer, found the camera, r/click and selected Properties, then selcted Event Tab and selected Start Microsoft Scanner and Camera wizard. Plugged my camera back in, turned it on and nothing... the program did not start. Opened Control Panel, Scanner & Camera, plug...

statement print-out only open balances
Hello Hope someone can help I need to remove all details of transactions with zero balance (paid) from the list On my bi-monthly closing statements, and show only the transactions with an open balance. We have customer with a large history and the statements get very large. I have a statement that only prints this month’s activity, but I still need the old open transactions thanks this works great :) "Morris Paint" wrote: > See if this will do what you need. You may have to make some modifications > to the text on it but I think it will work. We ran into the same issu...

URLs in Outlook 2007 no longer active
Using Windows Vista Business Edition with MS Office 2007 / Outlook 2007. A few weeks ago, Outlook was working fine ... notification messages from PHPBB included a clickable URL. Clicking the URL (blue & underscored) would open a PHPBB webpage containing the PHPBB message itself. Then after removing expired Anti-Virus program and installing AVG Free Anti-Virus ... the notification messages from PHPBB are no longer active, but still present and it still works on other PCs with the same Software installed. If the URL string is copied & pasted into an IE7 address bar the correct ...

Compare 2 excel files for differences?
Is there something within MS Office 2007 which will do this?. Alternatievly anyone any recommendation? Duplicates This site is great for finding Uniques/Duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx Also, for things pertaining to Data Validation, you may want to check this out: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html ....and if you feel really ambitious: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Dave" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:85...

Image and File Conversion Problem
When I convert my poster file to a PDF for pre-press the file created does not include the hi-res photo image I included in the design. It includes all other graphic elements, text boxes, etc. Not sure what to do. Anybody who has had this issue or has a reccomendation would be greatly appreciated. ...

Can't open file: check permissions on the folder
I have a csv file that I open every morning but do not save to the computer. each day that I open it it adds a numerical addition to the name. (i.e. invfile1, invfile 2 etc.). when it gets to 100, I can no longer open the file. what can I do to fix this Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder. This will clear the OLK** folder as well. To manually clear the OLK** folder you'll have to open the Temporary Internet Files folder from a command prompt. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 ...

IE 7 Temporary Internet Files.
I would like to set the default amount of disk space used for temporary internet files for all new user accounts that log on to a PC. How can I do this? Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Does each user have their own Windows User Account/Profile? -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Mick wrote: > I would like to set the default amount of disk spa...

Publisher Templates no longer availiable for selection?
This has been going on for a few months... I need a solution though. When I create a new document, I no longer have the option to select a template... unless I do it from the 'change' template method once the Blank document is created. This in itself I can live with. But MY Templates.... ones that I created are no longer available. I can browse to the template directory... but that's not a real solution. Have I checed a wrong option somewhere? Why would MY Templates disappear and how can I get them back? -- It was on fire when I sat down on it... That's my sto...

not able to setup my email with outlook
Hello All, I believe I need some “professional strength” help and advice with these questions. I've been fortunate to have received some of the greatest help at these MS forums, and so I'm back with some questions regarding my upcoming switch from OUTLOOK EXPRESS to OUTLOOK 2007, finally. My questions revolve around myself being very familiar with OE, and now trying to figure out the best & cleanest way to convert to, and configure Outlook 2007 given my particular needs. I understand some of the differences between OE and Outlook, however I've not yet installed Outlook 20 This ...

conversion from Money 2000
Hello, I am trying to transfer my Money 2000 data to the new Money 2004 that I bought. I have deleted all of my Money backups and Money 2000 from my computer before I installed Money 2004 (I know that was stupid). I have my floppy disc backup from my Money 2000 file. When I try to restore backup from this disk to Money 2004, it says that it is corrupt? Am I doing something wrong or will I have to start over and put all new accounts in Money 2004? Thanks, Stacy In microsoft.public.money, Stacy Hazelwood wrote: >Hello, I am trying to transfer my Money 2000 data to the >new Mon...

Opening large .csv files (over 65,536 lines) with Excel
Hey guys, First my apologies if this has been answered sometime before, but this is a VERY large newsgroup. I have some large .csv files that don't load completely into Excel because they are over 65,536 lines. Is there a way to split the file up, or another program/plugin that will let me view the whole file at once? Thanks in advance, Albinus. Well the classic answers are: -Use Access. -Chop the file up into smaller files with a text editor. -Use a macro. Here's MS's macro. I've never tested it; it might be pretty slow. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci...

newb - copy vbproj file for modification
Newb question. I have a project (filename.vbproj) i copied and renamed to reuse some of what was already set up, rather than rebuilding everything by scratch. when i open the project and go to project properties | Application | Assembly Information | there is a guid for the project - I assume that is the same as the original one i copied. Do I need to generate a new guid and paste it into this box and resave the project to prevent some problem down the line? Is there a guid generator built in to dotnet or can i use an old vb6 era guid generator i have? is that the guid ...