Error opening embedded Word objects

I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he tries
to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program used to
create this object is word. That program is not installed on your computer.
To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object."
Has anyone else run into this problem?

The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also in
Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word 2003
but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time and
he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being said, I
can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert back to
2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632",
even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in 2003
isn't an issue.

I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed but
that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.

The computer in question is:
Dell Optiplex 745
3.25 GB Mem
XP Pro SP2
Office 2007 Pro+ 2007

Thanks,
Michael

See:

http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenotesupport/archive/2009/12/10/when-opening-the-word-document-users-are-getting-error-word-cannot-start-the-convertor-mswrd632-wpc-or-cannot-load-word-for-windows-6-0-files.aspx

If the Applet for WordPad does not exist, create it and set its value to 1.

Alternatively, Restore your computer to a restore point created about 3
weeks ago before this problem started to crop up.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Michael E. SLoan" <Michael E. SLoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:33D731DC-2691-4486-A24E-8F5CF53EA60A@microsoft.com...
> I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
> embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he
> tries
> to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program used
> create this object is word. That program is not installed on your
> computer.
> To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object."
> Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
> The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also in
> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word
> 2003
> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time
> and
> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being said,
> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert back
> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter
> mswrd632",
> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in
> 2003
> isn't an issue.
>
> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed
> but
> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
>
> The computer in question is:
> Dell Optiplex 745
> 3.25 GB Mem
> XP Pro SP2
> Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

0
Doug
12/20/2009 7:24:33 PM
Unfortunately this didn’t solve the problem.

I followed the instructions and unregistered the converter and I still
received the error “The program used to create this object is word.  That
program is not installed on your computer.  To edit this object, you must
install a program that can open the object.”

I then put the registry key back (I exported it before deleting it) and then
re-enabled the converted by adding the AllowConversion registry entry but I
still receive the same error.

If I drag and drop the embedded file onto my desktop it creates a scrap file
that does open in word so I’m still foggy as to why it won’t open directly
from the original email attachment.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> See:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenotesupport/archive/2009/12/10/when-opening-the-word-document-users-are-getting-error-word-cannot-start-the-convertor-mswrd632-wpc-or-cannot-load-word-for-windows-6-0-files.aspx
>
> If the Applet for WordPad does not exist, create it and set its value to 1.
>
> Alternatively, Restore your computer to a restore point created about 3
> weeks ago before this problem started to crop up.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Michael E. SLoan" <Michael E. SLoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:33D731DC-2691-4486-A24E-8F5CF53EA60A@microsoft.com...
> > I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
> > embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he
> > tries
> > to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program used
> > create this object is word. That program is not installed on your
> > computer.
> > To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object."
> > Has anyone else run into this problem?
> >
> > The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also in
> > Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word
> > 2003
> > but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time
> > and
> > he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being said,
> > can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert back
> > 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter
> > mswrd632",
> > even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in
> > 2003
> > isn't an issue.
> >
> > I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed
> > but
> > that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
> >
> > The computer in question is:
> > Dell Optiplex 745
> > 3.25 GB Mem
> > XP Pro SP2
> > Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

All,

I'm still looking for a solution to this problem (please see original post)
and for now I'm having everyone embed their docs into docs using Word 03.
It's working better than Word 07 but the problem seems to be spreading.  Now
I have multiple customers with the same problems on both the Dell Optiplex
and on Trusted Thin Clients (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU from different parts of the
country.

I've played with different converter registry settings on a test machine
(Dell Optiplex) but putting .doc, docx, or .shs into different converter
options but everything remains the same so I'm not convinced that it's a
converter but rather a problem with the application itself.

Removing and re-installing the app would be my last choice due to the
geographical separation of some of the customers.

Any thoughts?

Michael

"Michael E. SLoan" wrote:

> I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
> embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he tries
> to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program used to
> create this object is word. That program is not installed on your computer.
> To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object."
> Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
> The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also in
> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word 2003
> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time and
> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being said, I
> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert back to
> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632",
> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in 2003
> isn't an issue.
>
> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed but
> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
>
> The computer in question is:
> Dell Optiplex 745
> 3.25 GB Mem
> XP Pro SP2
> Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Uninstall the MS09-073 security update (kb973904)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Michael E. Sloan" <MichaelESloan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B5DA62C5-299A-4E1B-B074-8A801B97220C@microsoft.com...
> All,
>
> I'm still looking for a solution to this problem (please see original
> post)
> and for now I'm having everyone embed their docs into docs using Word 03.
> It's working better than Word 07 but the problem seems to be spreading.
> Now
> I have multiple customers with the same problems on both the Dell Optiplex
> and on Trusted Thin Clients (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU from different parts of
> the
> country.
>
> I've played with different converter registry settings on a test machine
> (Dell Optiplex) but putting .doc, docx, or .shs into different converter
> options but everything remains the same so I'm not convinced that it's a
> converter but rather a problem with the application itself.
>
> Removing and re-installing the app would be my last choice due to the
> geographical separation of some of the customers.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Michael
>
> "Michael E. SLoan" wrote:
>
>> I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
>> embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he
>> tries
>> to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program
>> used to
>> create this object is word. That program is not installed on your
>> computer.
>> To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the
>> object."
>> Has anyone else run into this problem?
>>
>> The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also
>> in
>> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word
>> 2003
>> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time
>> and
>> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being
>> said, I
>> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert
>> back to
>> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter
>> mswrd632",
>> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in
>> 2003
>> isn't an issue.
>>
>> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed
>> but
>> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
>>
>> The computer in question is:
>> Dell Optiplex 745
>> 3.25 GB Mem
>> XP Pro SP2
>> Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael

0
Terry
12/28/2009 9:12:06 AM
Unfortunately the text converter modification doesn't resolve the problem and
I only receive the "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632" after
troubleshooting the original problem of "The program used to create this
object is word. That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this
object, you must install a program that can open the object."  I've been
using the convert as a work around to the original error message.  For now
I've been asking people to embed 2003 documents into their 2007 documents
before emailing them and that is working but it's also like trying to herd
cats.

These are the same instructions that were provided in a previous reply and
when I implement them through registry edits the original problem still
exist.  KB973904 isn't on the clients.

Any other thoughts?  I'm all ears.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word
> >> 2003
> >> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time
> >> and
> >> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being
> >> said, I
> >> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert
> >> back to
> >> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter
> >> mswrd632",
> >> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in
> >> 2003
> >> isn't an issue.
> >>
> >> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed
> >> but
> >> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.

Are you sure that KB973904 is not on the machine?  You have to check
"Show updates" in the Add/Remove program windows.
It shows under "Windows XP - Software Updates" on our computers.
0
psevin
12/28/2009 4:25:17 PM
Yep, KB973904 is not on the machine.  I've checked Add/Remove programs and
looked for the NtUninstall file.

I have a feeling everyone is focusing on the mswrd632 error but not the
original error.

"psevin" wrote:

> Are you sure that KB973904 is not on the machine?  You have to check
> "Show updates" in the Add/Remove program windows.
> It shows under "Windows XP - Software Updates" on our computers.
> .

I read through Microsofts "Create, change, or delete an OLE object" help file
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-es/powerpoint/HA101991921033.aspx#CannotStartError)
and it stated "If the source program is running, make sure that it doesn't
have any open dialog boxes. Switch to the source program, and close any open
dialog boxes".

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm reading that if I have a 2007 Word document
embedded into another 2007 Word document it may not open because the source
program (Word 2007) is running.

It should be normal to be able to open an embedded document from a document.
 Does this sound right to anyone?

Michael

"Michael E. SLoan" wrote:

> I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
> embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he tries
> to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program used to
> create this object is word. That program is not installed on your computer.
> To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object."
> Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
> The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also in
> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word 2003
> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time and
> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being said, I
> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert back to
> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632",
> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in 2003
> isn't an issue.
>
> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed but
> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
>
> The computer in question is:
> Dell Optiplex 745
> 3.25 GB Mem
> XP Pro SP2
> Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

No, that is not what it means.   However, sometimes when you try and open a
document by clicking on it in say Windows Explorer and there happens to be a
dialog box open in Word, that message will appear.  An example of when it
would happen is if you cause the File>Open dialog to appear without actually
opening a file and then you go to Windows Explorer and double click on a
file, that file cannot be opened because the File>Open dialog is open.

That does not however appear to be the situation with which you are faced.

If you want to send me one of the documents that displays the problem, I
will take a look at it and see if I can find out what is causing it.

--

message news:63A8B8D4-8BE5-4C36-B83A-47F89657FD3F@microsoft.com...
> I read through Microsofts "Create, change, or delete an OLE object" help
> file
> (http://office.microsoft.com/en-es/powerpoint/HA101991921033.aspx#CannotStartError)
> and it stated "If the source program is running, make sure that it doesn't
> have any open dialog boxes. Switch to the source program, and close any
> open
> dialog boxes".
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm reading that if I have a 2007 Word
> document
> embedded into another 2007 Word document it may not open because the
> source
> program (Word 2007) is running.
>
> It should be normal to be able to open an embedded document from a
> document.
> Does this sound right to anyone?
>
> Michael
>
> "Michael E. SLoan" wrote:
>
>> I have a customer who received a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet
>> embedded in a Word document.  He can open the spreadsheet but when he
>> tries
>> to open the embedded Word document he receives the error "The program
>> used to
>> create this object is word. That program is not installed on your
>> computer.
>> To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the
>> object."
>> Has anyone else run into this problem?
>>
>> The original document is in Word 2007 and the embedded document is also
>> in
>> Word 2007.  A work around is to convert the embedded document into Word
>> 2003
>> but when multiple (50-100) documents come through it takes too much time
>> and
>> he must forward these out when he is finished with them.  This being
>> said, I
>> can convert the files to 2003 with no problem but if I try to convert
>> back to
>> 2007 I receive an error stating "Word cannot start the converter
>> mswrd632",
>> even though I just used the converter.  Luckily working the documents in
>> 2003
>> isn't an issue.
>>
>> I've read that this can be a problem when Office 2003 SP 3 is installed
>> but
>> that is not installed.  Office 2003 Resource Kit is installed.
>>
>> The computer in question is:
>> Dell Optiplex 745
>> 3.25 GB Mem
>> XP Pro SP2
>> Office 2007 Pro+ 2007
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael

0
Doug
1/2/2010 9:47:05 AM
I too, have experienced this problem (my embedded excel files in Word documents).  Sometimes if I go to a second computer (running the same s/w), the embedded document will open.  I usually delete the embedded object and embed it over again to resolve the issue.  This has been going on for about a year now and it's appearent to me that no one really knows how to solve the problem.  If someone really understands the issue and has a solution (is Micosoft listening), I would be greatly appreciative...
0
david

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

2003 Keeps the default workbook open
When I start Excel, it starts up with a blank workbook. If I immediately open a saved file, it closes the blank workbook... All good... except mine has stopped closing the blank one. So I always end up with 2 workbooks open, the one I opened and a blank one that I'm not interested in! Is this a setting? if so where? Can I fix it? thanks... M Did you or someone create a default workbook (ie, Book.xltx or Book.xltm) and save it in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART"? On 5/9/2010 4:17 AM, Michelle wrote: > When I start...

Followup on Copy Objects from Another A2007 db using vba
I created a form with several listboxes (one for each type of object...) allowing a user to select a "sandbox" FE (where newly modified objects have been tested...) and a "Production" FE (where users log in using Tony's AutoFE). The user selects the objects he wants to copy in each listbox (one listbox to a tab...), then clicks the "TransferSelected" button. Herewith the event procedure: Private Sub btnTransferSelected_Click() Dim ctl As Control Dim lngObjectType As AcObjectType Dim strObjectType As String Dim varItem As Varian...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

Re: Writing a resume I'm not sure what I write in objectives #3
"GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote in message news:... > > "GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote in message news:... >> >> "Ed Bennett" <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote in message >> news:eP#YfN65JHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >>> GbH wrote: >>>> but neither is a resume!!!! >>> >>> So you're complaining about the lack of acute accents when people >>> refer to a r�sum� as a resume? Why not correct to the intended word >>> rather than a different one - pa...

error, chkdsk

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

delete server...routing master error

Excel error codes translations

Re: Money 2004

open attachments via OWA
Have a curious situation. A user is complaining of cannot open attachments via OWA. That's through our company Exchange server (Exchange 2003). Now, on the very *same* laptop she is using, she can get attachments from another company's OWA. Very strange. What is the normal cause of this issue? What attachment types can't see access? (e.g. doc, mdb, exe, com, bat, .etc) The reason that I ask is that OWA under Exchange 2003 can block access to specific attachment types just like Outlook 2003. "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3shlhkFoeg86U1@...

Macro in Word2007 open another program?
can I use a macro in Word2007 to open and access another program? Yes. But exactly how, depends upon what that program is. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/OfficeInterdev.htm and particularly See the article "Control Excel from Word” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/ControlXLFromWord.htm or the article "Control Outlook from Word” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/ControlOLFromWord.htm Then there is also the Shell command in VBA. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consu...

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

How can I save Visio as Word to allow an edit in Word?
I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word format so she can "play" with them. No matter the format I choose to save the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the page always opens in Visio. Is there any way to save the files to allow editing in Word? I really don't want to have to do these all over again. And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio. Thanks! unfortunately her desire to edit them in word will go unfulfilled. al "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

set row height upon opening excel
I would like to have the row height set to "20" upon opening or creating a new workbook. You can change the default setting for the column, why not for the height of a row. If there is a way to write a macro that will execute when that workbook is open I would be interested in that also. Thanks If you go to your Personal.xls, and paste this code in the "ThisWorkbook" page, it will automatically set the row height to 20. You may need to add this to the new sheet activate as well. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Cells.Select Selection.RowHeight = 20 End Sub &qu...

HELP MS WORD AND EXCEL thanks for the help
I have a table in Word that has many rows and cells with text in it. I have a column of text in excel. I would like to get in excel the information from the work document of just the text that is found in my excel column. I tried vlookup but the document in word may have a sentence in it and vlook look at a whole cell not part of it. Thanks for the help very much. Example: word docuement has "table four is next to table three" in excel I have a column ...

Typing message error