Cross-reference update problem in Word 2007

My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
assistance.  Thanks.

Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au naturel
in the body of the document.

"R_NY" wrote:

> My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When I
> Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
> actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a failing
> cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly, even if
> my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
> cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens regardless of
> which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number", "Heading
> number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had this
> problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions or
> assistance.  Thanks.
Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> naturel
> in the body of the document.
>
> "DeanH" wrote:
>
>> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
>> unlock
>> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
>> and
>> the update works stumps that idea.
>> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
>> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
>> "layer"
>> from the body text layer.
>>
>> Best of luck
>> DeanH
>>

>> "R_NY" wrote:
>>
>> > My document contains several cross-references to heading numbers. When
>> > Select All and press F9, not all cross-references get updated. (I'm not
>> > actually sure that any do get updated.) However, when I select a
>> > failing
>> > cross-reference individually and press F9, it gets updated properly,
>> > even if
>> > my selection includes a few characters before and after the actual
>> > cross-reference field.  This problem is repeatable and happens
>> > regardless of
>> > which heading cross-reference option I choose: "Heading number",
>> > "Heading
>> > number (no context)", "Heading number (full context)".  I never had
>> > this
>> > problem with versions of Word prior to 2007.  I weleome any suggestions
>> > or
>> > assistance.  Thanks.

0
Doug
5/28/2010 7:04:10 AM
Thank you! This did, indeed, solve the problem.  Or more accurately stated,
this workaround is FAR simpler to do than to search for cross references and
update them individually.

While I can certainly live with this, nonetheless, there clearly is a
bug/deficiency in Word.  Does anyone know whether Microsoft is (a) aware of
it, and (b) going to fix it properly?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Try using Print Preview and then Closing it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "R_NY" <RNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alas, the fields aren't in text boxes or frames.  They're sitting au
> > naturel
> > in the body of the document.
> >
> > "DeanH" wrote:
> >
> >> My first thought was that the Xref field was locked (Ctrl+F11) and to
> >> unlock
> >> them (Ctrl+Sfht+F11) but your description of then individually selecting
> >> and
> >> the update works stumps that idea.
> >> My next thought was that the fields are in text boxes or frame? If so I
> >> believe the Ctrl+A does not select these as they are on a different
> >> "layer"
> >> from the body text layer.
> >>
> >> Best of luck
> >> DeanH

References and Citations
I have microsoft home and student, and my Manage Sources, Style and Bibliography are all shaded grey and i cant use them! I have to work cite my paper due in two days but i cant insert a citation!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!! ...

Exchange 2007 DST
Do i need to install any patches on my Exchange server if i am running Exchange 2007? the OS is windows 2003 sp1 standard. Also if my clients are running Outlook 2003 what patch do i need to install on the clients machine? thanks The OS will need the Feb. 2007 Cumulative Time Zone Update (931836). Exchange Server 2007 does not need a CDO patch like previous versions of Exchange do. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

How to update .xlam file (add-in) while it is in use?
Hi! I created an add-in in Excel 2007 (tool.xlam). I will have about 75 users using this add-in. I know if the add-in file is in use (i.e. someone have Excel opened and the add-in is installed), I can't update the file. I will have to frequently update my add-in, and I don't want to ask everyone to close excel to access the file. Is there a way to share the xlam file or code it in a specific way? Thanks! I'd try marking the tool.xlam as Readonly using windows Explorer. But then I'd have to update my copy (in a different location). But that makes sense t...

Program crashes when attempting online updates
Money 05 seems to crash alot when I manually try to update my accounts. Does anyone has have this problem as well and is there a fix? Don't want to call India yet again. No Help! ...

Outlook 2007 security notice
I have a similar problem but it is based on Outlook templates that I have created and saved under a customized toolbar. When I click on a template in the toolbar, I get the warning message that the location may be unsafe. The templates are located in my C:\Documents and settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Templates. Is there a way to stop this warning? I have to access these templates multiple times during the work day. Don't open them through the windows explorer - go through the templates dialog. You can add the Choose form command the toolbar so its faste...

Picture Problem #2
Every picture that I have tried to insert into Publisher turns out to only be a blank white box. How can I fix this? spinach_is4losers wrote: > Every picture that I have tried to insert into Publisher turns out to > only be a blank white box. > How can I fix this? =========================== Have a look at the following site: (Read the third FAQ) Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/ lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.c...

% work complete is not geeting updated
Hi, we are facing some issues with project plan, when we change the subtasks %complete/% work complete ...main task is not getting updated. any idea why is it so.. thanks, chanti Do you have resources assigned to the summary task? - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > Hi, > we are facing some issues with project plan, when we change the > subtasks > %complete/% work complete ...main task is not getting updated. > any idea why is it so.. > > thanks, > chanti yes i have resources assigned to tasks "Andr...

Public Folder problems
Situation is as follows: Server1 in parent domain has a single SMTP Connector for internet bound email and incoming email. Server1 is member of RoutingGroup1 Server2 in the child domain is member of RoutingGroup2. Both Routing Groups are connected by a Routing Group connector. Mail between all users mailboxes flows without a problem We have the following issues: Issue 1: Public Folder replication only works one-way: from Server1 to Server2 Issue 2: Users canot send emails to mail-enabled public folders in the other routing group. If they try this, the emails get stuck in the Local Delivery...

Graphics Problem
I have a computer that just freezes up when booted normally. I've installed latest drivers. I turn the computer on. Windows XP loads About a minute or 2 it freezes up with like horizontal bars, all the pixels are shifted or the monitor just turns off. I think it works fine in 8 and 16 bit color. But when I set it to 32, it froze. The graphics card is: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X Has SP3. Works just fine in safe mode. Did you install the latest driver for that GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X card -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests ...

Excel properties that update when Excel is accessed without saving
I would like to know if there are other Excel 2003 properties, aside from the timestamp and personal metadata, that update whenever an Excel file is simply accessed for viewing but no changes are made to it? And what are those properties? Thanks. ...

value updates
I have some cells that use a user defined function that I wrote. I finds a certain company from another chart and then inserts tha multiplier. It all works perfectly, thanks to those that helped, bu the problem is that the user enters what company the people work fo first, then they go fill in the other chart with each company and th appropriate multiplier. It doesn't cause any error messages but wha happens is that the multiplier for the person is not update automatically, I have to go in like I'm going to change it and hi enter, then it changes, and only it, not the whole sheet, s...

Customer Cross Reference
2nd Request - Posted a few Months Ago, No Reply --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Has anyone out there used the Customer Part Number Cross Ref v8.0? I loaded a customer list the other day. When I entered the Customer Number on the Sales Order, it was instantly converted over to our number. Worked Great... I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically reference the original Customer Number on the Packing List and/Or Invoice or is that something that needs to be manually typed in. I tried adding notes, but I don't know if they carry down...

MFC Extension DLL problem
Hi, I created a DLL to make use of a preexisting MFC application. I want to use some dialogs, views and some other stuff from it. Except for some linker warning I got the dll compiled. If I now start using a dialog from the DLL I get an Debug Assertion Error, when exiting my client application. The Expression is: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) and the error was triggered in dbgheap.c . So, I assume I have a memory leak somewhere. Do anyone have an explanation for this? After researching a bit, it occured to me that I have two heaps, one for the DLL and one for my client application. I th...

Can a form linked to an autoLookup query update another table
I created a form that is updated with an AutoLookup query from another table once a certain linked field is filled in. Can this form be used to add a record to the source table with the updated information? When that record is saved, the record is added to the form's source table - assuming the form is bound to the source table. How does your form save the record? Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "oterosuz" <oterosuz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3608D905-8769-435E-B5E5-7B0F566AFD63@microsoft.com......

visio enterphise edition issue transport diagram to word
When printing an object created in enterphise edition the object blows up to where I only end up with a small potion of the drawing within size of window given to the object in the word doc. When I do a print preview the object looks fine but when printing the above issue occurs. I have verified with a friend who has visio 2002 that it is a enterphise issue. He saved the visio docuement I created in enterphise within 2002 and imported the objects into word and no problems. Thanks Tim ...

Creating Cross-Project Links
Hi 1). What is the usage of Creating Cross-Project Links ? As I understand, "Cross-project links are useful when two or more projects have only a few tasks that affect one another. For example, a milestone within a development project might trigger a task in an advertising campaign project." 2). How it is implemented in Project 2007 ? When I copied the task from the source project into my project ( target project ) using "Paste Special", the new task I created become another task in my target project. My observation is both task ( ie. task in the source...

No "Move Mailbox" cross site migration
Hi everybody: We have a forest with subdomains, the main domain is AD 2000 and has 1 Cluster Exchange 2003 SP1, 1 Server Exchange 2003 SP1 with ADC SP1 and SRS, and 3 Exchange 5.5 in the same Exchange 5.5 site. We have 8 subdomains in AD2000 with Exchange 5.5 SP4 server with hotfix applied for cross-site in each subdomain, and they had an own site in Exchange 5.5. We are trying to consolidate and move all mailbox and public folders to the Exchange 2003 cluster, we did the domainprep in each subdomain and create a RUS in the Exchange 2003 cluster to each subdomain. When we tried to move cros...

2005 Update Retirement Account Problem
I am having the same problem as discussed in a post on 10/5. Has anyone else seen this or know of a solution? And btw, I am not running XP SP2, just a fully updated SP1 system. I tried everything I could find in the KB to no avail as well. I am getting really frustrated with how many bugs there are in 2005. I have used MS Money for years and have never had as many problems as I have with 2005. I can't believe that this product made it out to the public with as many problems as there are. Any comments would be appreciated. ...

OutLook Crashes after Applying Update Rollup 1
Outlook is crashing every 10 minutes or so for one of my users. Please help. If the patch is the problem, then please let me know how to remove it. It does not show up in Add Remove programs. And also how can we know if the patch is applied or not. The CRM Help about version remains the same after applying patch. "elmo" wrote: > Outlook is crashing every 10 minutes or so for one of my users. Please help. I dont know whether the patch is the reason for the crashes. But: The version number of the client, that is shown in CRM Help, isn't exactly the right one. In fact, ...

Pivot Table Problem
I am working in an excel spreadsheet which another person created a pivot table in. I have to do a lot of cutting and pasting into another report. When I scroll my mouse over any cell in the sheet with data in it a bluebox appears with the information in that in cell. How do I turn that off? It is very annoying as it causes a delay in my trying to copy that cell. Hi, While in the pivot table choose PivotTable Tools, Options, Options, Display and turn off Show contextual tooltips. Cheers, Shane -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire ...

Remove workbook reference but keep worksheet references
Hi, I have 15 workbooks in which the same set of sheets appear (one named for every month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc. plus a summary sheet.) On the summary sheet is a column of formulas that reference ALL sheets in the WB. For example: Jan!A1+Feb!A1+Mar!A1... When I try to copy this column from one WB's summary sheet to other workbooks, Excel inserts a workbook reference at the paste location: ['Workbook 1.xls']Jan!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Feb!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Mar!A1...... I really don't want that workbook name there, since all WBs contain different data! I ...

update query with DMax?
Hi All I have to tables and in the first one I have a key (SzemelyId) and in the other table Salary: SzemelyId, Salary, Date, Active) is Szemely Id is foreign key. Each SzemelyId has one or more "Salary" and I would like to make an Update query which select every person last (max) salary and make the "Active" checkbox is TRUE. Just for the max salary. Thanks for your help Janos Remove the Active field! It sounds like it is completely dependent on the foreign key + Date field, i.e. if it were True for a record that was not the latest date, that would be an error. It th...

Updating Cells
Whenever I change the value of a cell the sum does not update. What I mean is if "A1 + A2 = A3" and then I change the value of "A1" then "A3" should update with the new sum, but it does not. It won’t update till I do a save. This is not a good thing because if you do a save then you can’t undo anything before that save. How do I get it to update automatically Thanks Shan Tools>options>calculations check automatic -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Shane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BAF0CDF-13F1-4338-A73F-C8D...

Cross table
Hi everybody !! i come again here with a problem i can seem to solve :s i hope someone will be able to give me a hand on this... here it is : i have a sheet with 2 rows: location and activity. several activities can be found in one location, even several of the same activities. schematic exemple location activity 1 A 1 B 2 A 3 A 3 B 3 C 4 B 4 C I would like to create something that give me as a result a sheet where we can see the spatial relations between the activities. so i would have all...

[ANN] Update 12.1.4 released
MacBU released a fix today for the problems caused by the 12.1.3 updater for Exchange users. Read about the fix for 12.1.4 on the Entourage Help Blog and the Mac Mojo Blog. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> <http://www.officeformac.com/blog/12-1-4-Fixes-Entourage-Meeting-Invite-Issu e> You can download 12.1.4 from Mactopia. It will be available via Software Updater in a few days. <http://tinyurl.com/6xftfs> Before you install this update, make sure that the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.3 Update is installed on your computer. As always, backup before updating. Fo...