Changing Source excel file causes links in word to fail

I've got a Word document with about 600 links to an excel spreadsheet.
Updating the links works fine until the source excel file is changed thenword
changes some portion of the links from Unformatted Text to a spreadsheet cell.

Changing the links manually or with a macro there are some observed changes
in the links.  The cells that change are changed from Automatic to Manual and
this happens to all of the cells on a single Excel row.

There's nothing wrong with the data and the spreadsheet formats are
identical.  When I go back to the original settings I can change the name of
the excel spreadsheet and it links fine.  The problems occur when I change
the name of the linked spreadsheet in word.

Hi Bill,

Check that the fields for the problem links have the required text format switch (ie \t or \r) and the \a switch.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Bill Black" <Bill Black@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CF3AE90-3CE1-4F02-B262-77A9636B4285@microsoft.com...
> I've got a Word document with about 600 links to an excel spreadsheet.
> Updating the links works fine until the source excel file is changed thenword
> changes some portion of the links from Unformatted Text to a spreadsheet cell.
>
> Changing the links manually or with a macro there are some observed changes
> in the links.  The cells that change are changed from Automatic to Manual and
> this happens to all of the cells on a single Excel row.
>
> There's nothing wrong with the data and the spreadsheet formats are
> identical.  When I go back to the original settings I can change the name of
> the excel spreadsheet and it links fine.  The problems occur when I change
> the name of the linked spreadsheet in word.
0
macropod

how to use excel to creat an oncall schedule
i wantb to creat oncall schedule for doctors in a hospital. each 2 doctors would be on call for 12 hours a day. it can look like calendar and it should calculae how many days each one was oncall up to date. ...

Excel 04-07-10
When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format --> Cell --> [Alignment] tab and choose the Vertical Alignment setting you want: top, center, bottom, justified or distributed. "patcher" wrote: > When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line > and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format the cells to have bottom alignment in the Horizontal option. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:58:01 -0700, patcher <patcher@discussion...

getpivotdata in excel 2007
=+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the pivot table is called "pivot1" and the reference cells represent (name of doc), (date), (procedure type). I get a REF# I have spent hours already and need a solution fast. Please Fern wrote: > =+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) > > I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the > pivot table is called "pivot1" and...

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Why does the change change to a number?

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Simple EXCEL worksheet function
I am creating an EXCEL worksheet of people's names, company and location. I need to do a simple sort on name. When the list goes beyond 250, the sort function stops working. Is this a limitation of EXCEL? If so, can I continue the list on "Sheet 2", "Sheet 3" etc and still be able to sort through all the lists as if they are one? #1. Select the entire range you want to sort--don't let excel guess. I'm guessing that you have an empty row in the real range to sort and excel is guessing wrong. #2. Nope. Excel doesn't support this type of...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Running Excel 2000 & 2007 Bug
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA53A0.C4136A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am able to run 2000 and 2007 on the same machine ok except for the = following The File Type associations are messed up. I have a bunch of files that = were created in 2000 and they have the *.xls extension. I want these = files(when double clicked) to open in Excel 2000. However, Excel 2007 = is dominating this action. I have tried changing the association for the *.xls file type to version = 200...

Should I change this code?

Nonnumerical Axis in Excel Charts
Hello, Essentially, when plotting a series of Acid/Base ratios in cells with text formatting (ex. "0/100", "10/90", etc.") (X-axis) versus temperature change per ratio (Y-axis), Excel charts the actual row numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, etc.) for the X-axis instead of "0/100", "10/90", etc. Fraction and Number formatting of the ratio cells does not change this either. Thank you. Robert Agee Purdue University It depends which chart type you use. If you use column chart type, the X axis should be your lables (10/90, etc.) not row numbers. If you use ...

Outlook and Word 2003 editing and error problem
This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before, but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning. I turned off the PC and it was on the next day. problems: 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use arrow keys to navigate when editing. 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit, Wo...