Active Directory Domain Service Unavailable. What does this mean?

I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to print
with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or what
to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
help?

Are you printing from Word? Word must see a locally installed, compatible
printer driver set as the Windows Default printer. My guess is that the
message is erroneous and that the printer setup you are using is
incompatible.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Shiloh" <Shiloh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to
> print
> with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
> which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
> click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
> Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or
> what
> to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
> help?

16
Terry
12/17/2009 5:23:13 PM
I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The other
15
Bill
1/5/2010 2:11:46 PM
As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
laptop.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> other
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t

1
Doug
1/5/2010 10:23:00 PM
I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
come up with the error message except here.

Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
"professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
> laptop.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> > other
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>
> .

So what is the error message that you are receiving?  Are you also trying to
use a wireless connection to a printer?  Was the printer used before on that
computer with the same type of connection?

It is quite easy on some laptops to inadvertently turn off either BlueTooth
or Wireless, so the suggestion to the previous poster that it might be
turned off is not at all unreasonable.

I am not advertising professional services.  Rather, requesting that
way, neither I, nor the majority of the persons who provide assistance in
these newsgroups, work for Microsoft.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Elind" <Elind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
> having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
> come up with the error message except here.
>
> Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
> "professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
>> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on
>> the
>> laptop.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
>> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday
>> > when
>> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
>> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do
>> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
>> > other
>> >
>> > ---
>> > frmsrcurl:
>> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>>
>> .

0
Doug
1/19/2010 2:01:09 AM
I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
Thanks for no help.

If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
Thanks
5
hks1102
1/26/2010 2:38:47 PM
I think you misunderstood the use of the word 'erroneous'. I was not
accusing the poster or anyone else of being erroneous rather I was saying
that the error message was erroneous: the failure to print has nothing to do
with ADDS not being available. The problem is with the wireless printer
driver. It has been reported with both Brother and HP wireless printers.

Try uninstalling (deleting) the printer, making sure that you have the
latest driver and then reinstall following the vendor's instructions.

Terry Farrell

"hks1102" <hollisims@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
> message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
> Thanks for no help.
>
> If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
> recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
> Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
> Thanks

-4
Terry

Active Column Ref In a Formula #2
My problem is summarised as follows: A1 to, say, G1 contains a list of numbers Formulas read: In A1 =A1 In B1 =Sum(A1:B1) In C1 =Sum(A1:C1) In D1 =Sum(A1:D1) etc... to =Sum(A1:G1) Is it possible to have a formula which can datermine the column reference of the cell containing the formula? Some common element that replaces B1, C1, D1 etc. in the above example? Thank you If you insert: =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:" & SUBSTITUTE((LEFT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN()-1),3)),"$","") & "1")) you will get the sum of the values from A1 thru just befor...

Client Certificate Authorization in Web Services
Hi, Is there a way to validate client certificate in the web services by adding code to validate the certificate without having IIS to do anything?. We want to send a client certificate without usernametoken (we don't want to use the windows user) and validate the certificate on the services side by adding some code to it without having to use IIS to do anything. With or without WSE 2.0 or 3.0 is fine. Thank you for your help, Priya ...

How do I get all files in any directory?
Hello everyone. Now I'm posting a FAT32 partition reading program. Any directory have 512 files. See next codes: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ for (nLoop = 0; nLoop <= dwSectorPerCluster*16; nLoop++) { if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Name[0] == 0x00) break; if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Name[0] == 0xE5) continue; if (lpDirEntry[nLoop].Attribute == 0x0F) { dwLongEntryEn = 1; continue; } memset(szFileName, 0x00, sizeof(szFileName)); memset(szTmp, 0x00, sizeof(szTmp)); if (dwLongEntryEn == 1) { m_F...

Lost ability to open (activate) Excel files from Explorer, Outlook
I have lost the ability to open Excel files by clicking on their icon from within programs apart from Excel. eg if I click on an Excel file icon from Explorer or Outlook, then Excel starts but the file I wanted does not open. If I use Excel to open the file there are no problems. Henny Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. ...

Changing Status on Service Activity
hi I am using service activity to schedule services. I have set up a service called training and set the Show Time As field to reserved. What i want to now do is setup a workflow which says if the current time is greater than the scheduled time change the status to completed and generate an order. Can someone please advice me how to go about this,. Kind Regards Ridhima ...

SQL Server Reporting Services and IIS
I am learning SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). From what I have read, SSRS needs IIS to operate as the report server. How have people on the forum been implementing it? Do you normally load IIS on a separate Windows 2003 server? Do you load IIS on the GP server? IIS will run on Windws XP. Would you use IIS and SSRS (SQL Express) on XP for a client with 5 - 10 users? Hi, You are correct, SSRS does require IIS. In most installations, two virtual directories will be created under the default website (or another website on the IIS server if desired). The "Reports" vi...

Workstation service will not start -- gets error 2
Hi All: Without the Workstation service starting the computer is almost useless. No networking, can't install SpywareDoctor (needs to update itself), Can't install Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows 7 (requires Crypto service which depends on workstation). Can't even look at events. Can't burn CD's. Trying to start the workstation service service gives: Could not start the Workstation service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system could not find the file specified I tried sfc /scannow. It took all afternoon but did not help the issue. My only r...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

Cant get member server to join domain
member server 2003 sp2, was in old 2000 domain. removed from that domain into a workgroup. changed dns to reflect new domain. now trying to add to 2008 domain and I get a message of "The service cannot accept control messages at this time". Of course it doesnt join the domain either. I had another member server that i pulled out of the same domain and added it with no issue. So WTF? A good place to start troubleshooting this is to look into the netsetup.log file. Andrei Ungureanu www.winadmins.net "Bob Dorn" <bobdorn@hotmail.com> wrote in m...

Does RMS Media ( CD ) for Service Pack 3 ( SP3 ) Exist?
Has Microsoft produced installation media that incorporate SP2 or SP3? If yes, then how do I acquire it? My current RMS 2.0 CDs are from the time before SP2. I'll be upgrading from RMS 1.3 to 2.x there downloads for the service packs, -- Maurice Gordon Maurice@americanretailsupply.com Sales/Support 1-800-426-5708 XT 1307 "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDECD711-3D28-48DC-A42B-EDF7D233DBDB@microsoft.com... > Has Microsoft produced installation media that incorporate SP2 or SP3? > > If yes, then how do I acquir...

Money 2004 Online Services expired
I bougtht Money 2004 Deluxe a few years back. Never used it until recently. Last night I updated the software (not transactions, etc) and upon reboot, I could no longer use the Update Prices feature that fetches securities prices automatically. Did some research and looked like it was because 2004's Online Services would have ended on 9/1/2007. Apparently that software update triggered this. Money website says if this happens, upgrade to the current version of Money. However is there anyway that I just pay for the Online Services without upgrading to Money 2008? Thanks for your ...

Recovering Public Folders to a new domain
Hi! At one of our customers we've just reinstalled the domain all over again. It's an SBS2003 server with Exchange2003. We exmerged the mailboxes of the "old" installation and importet 'em into the new server, with great succes. Alas we "forgot" the Public folders. We've got a full backup of the "old" system but we would very much like not to make a full restore, the ideal situation would be just to restore the public folders to an alternative location and the move the contents to the new exchange server. My question is this then: Is there ...

Printing the "account" activity... no details?
OK, I'm trying to find SOME way of printing out a detailed list of my recent account activities, and I am not having much luck... When I am on the account and I choose "Print", all I get is a two column list, with the "amount" differences and the new running total. No payee name? No check number? No category? No "reconciled" status? I tried to look for options here, but the only ones I could find were for choosing my printer/changing my paper size. Didn't notice any reports that would print out this information... How might I do this? (I am using Mone...

Enable software to work in Domain user account.
Hi to all Enable software to work in Domain user account. Software which i have installed in Win xp is i install software from domain administrator. 1. Office 2003 it's working 2. adobe PDF it's working Other software's are not working, issue in local user and domain user account only, No problem in administrator account (local and domain) if i give them administrator account i can't stop them from miss use the system. Note: Server OS: Win Server 2003 Client OS: Win xp, Win 7 Pro, Vista Business Regards, Vin Win On 03/07/10 03:37, Vinod ...

Office Service Pack 3
My CD ROM does not work on my computer and I'm probably not going to get it fixed (will be getting a new computer later). Office Service Pack 3 automatically started and it asked for the Microsoft CD, which won't work on the computer. I had to cancel it. Now when I try to run Excel it wants to do an install and it asks for the CD. I can't get past this to open Excel. Is there a way to undo what this Service Pack started and go back to the way it was. I would rather have Excel without the Service Pack than not have Excel at all. Steve, Maybe... System Restore Start | ...

Configure Server 2008 to join SBS 2003 Domain
Client has an exisiting 2003 SBS Domain. They purchased Server 2008 Ent Edition and that will be setup and configured with a software application and users before it is sent to the site that has the 2003 SBS. 10 machines are also being configured to connect to the 2008 Server before the server and computers are sent to the 2003 SBS location. Can the 2008 server be setup as a domain before it is shipped and then moved to the SBS 2003 domain once it gets there? -- Pat In a word, no. You can't join a computer to a domain without connecting to the domain. And any users you a...

active directory diagramming
am looking to visio to produce graphical view of the AD site replication objects - site / server / naming contexts et al have so far generated a "static" view of this but of course as more sites come on line to the directory this will require a significant amount of redrawing was wondering what support versions of visio support a m ire dynamic export of the directory information to generate a dynamic view of the AD sites as per the example shown in the document " step by step guide to creating AD diagrams in visio 2002" Thanks GT There was a tool for Visio 2000 tha...

Web Service configuration GP 10.0
I install Web Services of GP . When I try to communicate with them I got always this error back from WS : Server was unable to process request. ---> An exception occurred that the exception subsystem was unable to log. Consult your System Administrator Any idea? -- Steeve Gauvreau, Architect Thanks for using the newsgroups! I just replied to this on the "developer" board. Please see my response there. Thanks! Grant This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Steeve" wrote: > I install Web Services of GP . When ...

Update active directory user from Windows Service
Hi, I have a windows service that will pull data from an external source and I need to update this informaiton in AD from a Windows Service. What is the easiest way to do this? I looked at using the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider but it seems that this is for ASP.NET applications only(?) or perhaps I am missing some better results in google. I know that I can connect via LDAP and change details using code like the following DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher(); search.Filter = String.Format("(SAMAccountName={0})", userName); ...

Professional Services Tools #2
We currently run GP 8.0 and purchased a few of the tools available in Professional Services Tools Library. We're planning to upgrade to 10 in April, and our VAR just informed us that we will need to re-purchase these tools to use for version 10! Has anyone else run across this? I don't understand how this could possibly be the case in any way. Any input is appreciated. -- Dave Stonesifer Dave, The last few times we had a customer need to upgrade their Tools Library, they were able to buy an upgrade to the current version. I am not sure what the upgrade cost is currently,...

Expand Collapse Forms API or Active X?
Dear All Windows XP Pro Access 2003 Pro SP3 I am looking for an API or active X that can I use in a Form, where I can expand - Collapse, use icons and enter description of each item This URL shows some samples that my client wants in his form http://www.jedikeeper.com/rebelscum0000/windows_screen.htm I did a search at Google and I found several Active X most or them for .NET http://www.windowscontrols.com/treeocx.html http://www.ssware.com/fldrview.htm They are very expensive, my client I am sure he will not paid for these Active X, and I sure I am not going to need for further databas...

active synch issues
hello all I am running exchagne 2003 sp1 on windows 2003, in a 2003 AD domain. If i setup my smart phone (motorolla mpx2200 with windows mobile 2003 second addition) to synch every 5 minutes i can succesfully synch up emails from exchange, but if i setup active synch to sycn when new items arive, then it does not work. I have gone through making the necessary regisry changes on the server to per 841995, 873291 and 822176. I can see events 11324 and 10310, and if in message tracking on the server i can see that a message was sent out to phone#@mycingular.net Not sure why its still not...

OPOS Line Display Service Object
Hi, I am a newbie in OPOS. I am developing a service object for OPOS line display. When trying to use it through the MonroeCS CO control (OPOSLineDisplay.ocx, version OposCCOs-1_11_001), Open gives code 104 (=OPOS_E_NOSERVICE), and get_OpenResult() gives code 305 (=OPOS_OR_BADIF). What these return codes really means ? In Control Programmer's Guide (OLE for Retail POS, Release 1.6) this is said in page 18, item 5: CLIP --> .... (This ensures that the Service Object supports at least the minimum methods of a valid Service Object for the device class, before calling any of its methods...

Active Directory/Exchange mailbox
Does anyone have any infofmation on why I can creat a new user in Active directory on Exchange, and during the creation I get asked if I want to create an email account, I indicate yes I do, and then when everything is all said and done... An email exchange account for that user is never created. I've gone into sytem manager of exchange and view the existing email accounts and nothing ever gets created for a new user. I am puzzled seeing that I never had this issue with Exchange 2000 We are running an Exchange 2003 platform Any help would be great!! <anonymous@discussions.m...

Change the default setting of the filter on the history\activ tab
Change the default setting of the filter on the history or activity tab. Double click any account in database, the activity & history tabs are located on left. Filter- defaults to 30 days ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Bu...