"This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"

Hello.

I have a client who is still using old Office 2002/XP SP3 on his old
Windows 2000 SP4 Dell desktop Optiplex GX280 PC. Both his Windows and
Office have all the latest updates from MS updates.

He downloaded a Word docx file through Firefox v3.6 and was unable to
open it due to an error: "This is a pre-release version of the
Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do
you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Microsoft Office Compatibility
Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats" from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466
&displaylang=en and redownloading Office 2007 updates from MS updates,
but they did not help. I also saw http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054
.... but that doesn't make sense because I was able to open this document
on my even older Windows XP Pro. SP3 with Office 2000 and Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack with all the latest updates. It did ask me to
convert from Office 2007 (detected unlike my client's).

Is there a bug/glitch or something with the converter with Office
2002/XP and/or Windows 2000 SP4? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, er, we've just lost the picture, but, uh, what
we've seen speaks for itself. The Corvair spacecraft has been taken
  | |o   o| |               Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant

Hi!

I am still trying to fix this, but I did find
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054 ... but the workarounds do not
exist in registry (do not see
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\) and
gpedit.msc (can't find that Office2007Converters.adm file anywhere on
the HDD).

Has anyone run into this problem and fixed it?

On 3/16/2010 11:42 PM PT, Ant typed:

> Hello.
>
> I have a client who is still using old Office 2002/XP SP3 on his old
> Windows 2000 SP4 Dell desktop Optiplex GX280 PC. Both his Windows and
> Office have all the latest updates from MS updates.
>
> He downloaded a Word docx file through Firefox v3.6 and was unable to
> open it due to an error: "This is a pre-release version of the
> Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do
> you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Microsoft Office Compatibility
> Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats" from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466
>
> &displaylang=en and redownloading Office 2007 updates from MS updates,
> but they did not help. I also saw http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054
> ... but that doesn't make sense because I was able to open this document
> on my even older Windows XP Pro. SP3 with Office 2000 and Microsoft
> Office Compatibility Pack with all the latest updates. It did ask me to
> convert from Office 2007 (detected unlike my client's).
>
> Is there a bug/glitch or something with the converter with Office
> 2002/XP and/or Windows 2000 SP4? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"... Something wrong with the gun," he said. "But what if there is?
They'll get it right again. And even if there's a delay, how can it
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
4/17/2010 8:54:34 PM
Please download the latest final version and stop using
pre-release versions of any software:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en>

The above version requires:

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista;
Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows
XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3.

<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.office.setup/browse_thread/thread/f2cb120a1c870c4b#>

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.
0
LD55ZRA
4/17/2010 10:08:57 PM
I did download that one. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.
It did not help. My client gets all kinds of documents from his clients
and friends. So it is hard to tell them that they are using prereleased
Office versions. :(

On 4/17/2010 3:08 PM PT, LD55ZRA typed:

> Please download the latest final version and stop using
> pre-release versions of any software:
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en>
>
> The above version requires:
>
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista;
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows
> XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3.
>
> <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.office.setup/browse_thread/thread/f2cb120a1c870c4b#>
--
"... Ooh, we haven't done that in a long time. I love picnics. I'll
bring my ant jar." --The Berenstain Bears (unknown episode)
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
4/17/2010 10:34:54 PM
Ant wrote:

> I did download that one. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling
> it. It did not help. My client gets all kinds of documents from his
> clients and friends. So it is hard to tell them that they are using
> prereleased Office versions. :(

Well in that case it is time to tell them to reformat their HD and start
afresh using latest versions because using pre-release versions or trial
versions on a live production system is in my opinion a very bad idea.
indeed. I can't use any other colorful language here because M$ is
working hard censoring messages.

Your client should reformat the HD, install windows again with SP3 if
using XP or SP2 if using Vista.  They don't need to install any other
patches if they don't want to (Personally, I haven't installed any
patches post SP3 of WindowsXP, or SP2 of Vista  or SP2 of Office 2007).
If they are using Windows 7 then they need to install about 142 patches
to make it run relatively trouble free but it is still in beta IMHO
until SP1 comes out.

These pre-release versions and trial versions are never stable and that
is why they are released for the public to test it out for M$ for free.
If your client asks you to fix it for them then clearly you should wipe
their system clean and  install everything again.  Make sure you back up
their data and also ask them to give you all the CDs and serial numbers
of their applications on that system.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD55ZRA
OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES,  EVEN IF LD55ZRA OR ITS
ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL
DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.

0
LD55ZRA
4/17/2010 10:53:41 PM
On 4/17/2010 3:53 PM PT, LD55ZRA typed:

> Well in that case it is time to tell them to reformat their HD and start
> afresh using latest versions because using pre-release versions or trial
> versions on a live production system is in my opinion a very bad idea.
> indeed. I can't use any other colorful language here because M$ is
> working hard censoring messages.
> Your client should reformat the HD, install windows again with SP3 if
> using XP or SP2 if using Vista. They don't need to install any other
> patches if they don't want to (Personally, I haven't installed any
> patches post SP3 of WindowsXP, or SP2 of Vista or SP2 of Office 2007).
> If they are using Windows 7 then they need to install about 142 patches
> to make it run relatively trouble free but it is still in beta IMHO
> until SP1 comes out.
>
> These pre-release versions and trial versions are never stable and that
> is why they are released for the public to test it out for M$ for free.
> If your client asks you to fix it for them then clearly you should wipe
> their system clean and install everything again. Make sure you back up
> their data and also ask them to give you all the CDs and serial numbers
> of their applications on that system.

Yeah, that's great if it they were my clients but they're not. :) Oh
well, nothing I can do for now. I was able to open the problematic docx
file in old MS Office 2000's Word 2000 SP3 with the same converter pack
in an old XP Pro. SP3 machine. Then, I saved it as a Word 97 file format
and resend to my client. It worked. Weird, eh?
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
4/17/2010 11:45:50 PM
If the registry key doesn't exist - add it.
Either add it manually or save the following from Notepad as a text file
called (say) patch.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock]
"Word12BetaFilesFromConverters"=dword:00000000

and merge it with the registry.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Ant" <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am still trying to fix this, but I did find
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054 ... but the workarounds do not
> exist in registry (do not see
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\) and gpedit.msc
> (can't find that Office2007Converters.adm file anywhere on the HDD).
>
> Has anyone run into this problem and fixed it?
>

> On 3/16/2010 11:42 PM PT, Ant typed:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a client who is still using old Office 2002/XP SP3 on his old
>> Windows 2000 SP4 Dell desktop Optiplex GX280 PC. Both his Windows and
>> Office have all the latest updates from MS updates.
>>
>> He downloaded a Word docx file through Firefox v3.6 and was unable to
>> open it due to an error: "This is a pre-release version of the
>> Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do
>> you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"
>>
>> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Microsoft Office Compatibility
>> Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats" from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466
>>
>> &displaylang=en and redownloading Office 2007 updates from MS updates,
>> but they did not help. I also saw http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054
>> ... but that doesn't make sense because I was able to open this document
>> on my even older Windows XP Pro. SP3 with Office 2000 and Microsoft
>> Office Compatibility Pack with all the latest updates. It did ask me to
>> convert from Office 2007 (detected unlike my client's).
>>
>> Is there a bug/glitch or something with the converter with Office
>> 2002/XP and/or Windows 2000 SP4? Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "... Something wrong with the gun," he said. "But what if there is?
> They'll get it right again. And even if there's a delay, how can it alter
> the end? It's just men and ants. There's the ants builds their cities,
> live their lives, have wars, revolutions, until the men want them out of
> the way, and then they go out of the way. That's what we are now -- just
> ants. Only --" "Yes," "We're eatable ants..." --H.G. Wells' The War of the
> Worlds
>    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
>   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>  | |o   o| |
>     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
>      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.

0
Graham
4/18/2010 4:57:08 AM
Thanks. I will try that next time I see him and his computer. :)

On 4/17/2010 9:57 PM PT, Graham Mayor typed:

> If the registry key doesn't exist - add it.
> Either add it manually or save the following from Notepad as a text file
> called (say) patch.reg
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock]
> "Word12BetaFilesFromConverters"=dword:00000000
>

> and merge it with the registry.
--
"Don't be no Ant-Man. An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
  | |o   o| |
Ant
4/18/2010 4:34:40 PM
Have you found a fix for this yet?  I started having the same problem on our
Citrix/Terminal Server after applying Microsoft's April updates over the
weekend.  Last week everything worked correctly using Office XP (2002) with
the Compatibility Pack installed and this week everyone just gets the
"pre-release version..." message.  I suspect therefore that it was one of the
several patches Microsoft put out this month; but, prior to starting the
removal process, I was wondering if anyone has pinpointed the fix yet?

"Ant" wrote:

> Thanks. I will try that next time I see him and his computer. :)
>

> On 4/17/2010 9:57 PM PT, Graham Mayor typed:
>
> > If the registry key doesn't exist - add it.
> > Either add it manually or save the following from Notepad as a text file
> > called (say) patch.reg
> >
> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock]
> > "Word12BetaFilesFromConverters"=dword:00000000
> >

> > and merge it with the registry.
> --
> "Don't be no Ant-Man. An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
>     /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
>    / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>   | |o   o| |
>      \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
>       ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
> .

Well, it's nice to know we are not alone.
Citrix/Terminal Servers, Windows 2000, Office XP, and we just applied
the April updates from Microsoft.

We will try Graham's fix today and post back later with our results.
--
Barry

Darrell;1770684 Wrote:
> Have you found a fix for this yet?  I started having the same problem on
> our
> Citrix/Terminal Server after applying Microsoft's April updates over
> the
> weekend.  Last week everything worked correctly using Office XP (2002)
> with
> the Compatibility Pack installed and this week everyone just gets the
> "pre-release version..." message.  I suspect therefore that it was one
> of the
> several patches Microsoft put out this month; but, prior to starting
> the
> removal process, I was wondering if anyone has pinpointed the fix yet?

--
bdrake
0

Curious. What type of machines are you using with these problems? Windows
2000 SP4? I keep both OS and Office updated with the latest patches from MS
Updates.

"Darrell" wrote:

> Have you found a fix for this yet?  I started having the same problem on our
> Citrix/Terminal Server after applying Microsoft's April updates over the
> weekend.  Last week everything worked correctly using Office XP (2002) with
> the Compatibility Pack installed and this week everyone just gets the
> "pre-release version..." message.  I suspect therefore that it was one of the
> several patches Microsoft put out this month; but, prior to starting the
> removal process, I was wondering if anyone has pinpointed the fix yet?
>
> "Ant" wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I will try that next time I see him and his computer. :)
> >

> > On 4/17/2010 9:57 PM PT, Graham Mayor typed:
> >
> > > If the registry key doesn't exist - add it.
> > > Either add it manually or save the following from Notepad as a text file
> > > called (say) patch.reg
> > >
> > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> > >
> > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock]
> > > "Word12BetaFilesFromConverters"=dword:00000000
> > >

> > > and merge it with the registry.
For some reason, even logged in as the local administrator, the server
wouldn't let us create the Policies key under HKCU\Software.

We are running our Citrix servers as virtual machines.  To test which
patch caused the problem, we spun up a new copy and reapplied the April
updates.  The compatibility pack didn't break.  We'll be replacing the
servers with the updated image this weekend, so we will only keep
working on this problem if it recurs.  Sorry, I know that's not much
help.
--
Barry

--
bdrake
0

However, we are still looking for a solution for this, as we'll be unable to
build new updated images until we can resolve the problem.

We have tried installing the Admin templets, as well as adding the registry
key without effect.

In addition to the stander "Pre-Release version of ..." error when opening
files, we recieve "Error opening file" when attempting to save files in the
..docx format as well. I have attempted this in both normal mode, and safe
mode, as a local admin, user, and domain admin and user. I have verified file
and folder permissions and am still banging my head against this one.

Has anyone come up with anything else to try on this?

"This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"
Hello. I have a client who is still using old Office 2002/XP SP3 on his old Windows 2000 SP4 Dell desktop Optiplex GX280 PC. Both his Windows and Office have all the latest updates from MS updates. He downloaded a Word docx file through Firefox v3.6 and was unable to open it due to an error: "This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version of the Compatibility Pack?" I tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and ...