"Backspace" key doesn't work right in MSWord

Follow
Email
For some time now, I haven't been able to use my backspace key to delete
large portions (selected by highlighting) of text. I have to use the "delete"
key. Similarly, I cannot just "write over" highlighted text that I want to
replace. (This has become quite frustrating.) My MSWord application hasn't
always had I this problem, so I'm thinking I must have accidentally change a
setting some time ago. I don't have this problem with any of my other
applications. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

Sincerely,
cjouelle
0
Reply Utf 5/29/2010 2:47:01 PM

Go into Word Options and check the TYPING REPLACES SELECTION setting. Where
you find it depends on your version of Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"cjouelle" <cjouelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some time now, I haven't been able to use my backspace key to delete
> large portions (selected by highlighting) of text. I have to use the
> "delete"
> key. Similarly, I cannot just "write over" highlighted text that I want to
> replace. (This has become quite frustrating.) My MSWord application hasn't
> always had I this problem, so I'm thinking I must have accidentally change
> setting some time ago. I don't have this problem with any of my other
> applications. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!
>
> Sincerely,
> cjouelle

0
Reply Terry 5/29/2010 3:19:04 PM
If you go into MS Word and click on the Tools menu, select Options and click
on the Edit tab, there is an option "Typing replaces selection" make sure you
have a tick in this box and it should work ok.

Reply kristain 5/31/2010 10:16:11 AM

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CB00B5.A4734750

Maybe, maybe not! As I said in my reply, it depends on your version of =
Word where that setting is found.

Why post virtually the same answer twice???

--=20
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
  "kristain via OfficeKB.com" <u59322@uwe> wrote in message =
  If you go into MS Word and click on the Tools menu, select Options and =
click
  on the Edit tab, there is an option "Typing replaces selection" make =
sure you
  have a tick in this box and it should work ok.

  --=20
  Message posted via OfficeKB.com
  =
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-application-errors/201005/1

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CB00B5.A4734750

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dutf-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">Maybe, maybe not! As I said =
in my=20
reply, it depends on your version of Word where that setting is=20
found.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI">Why post virtually the same =
answer=20
twice???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000080 face=3D"Segoe UI"><BR>-- <BR>Terry Farrell - =
MSWord=20
MVP</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000080 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
  <DIV>"kristain via OfficeKB.com" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:u59322@uwe&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  href=3D"mailto:u59322@uwe">u59322@uwe</A>&gt; wrote in message <A=20
  href=3D"news:a8d247ede1ea9@uwe">news:a8d247ede1ea9@uwe</A>...</DIV>If =
you go=20
  into MS Word and click on the Tools menu, select Options and =
click<BR>on the=20
  Edit tab, there is an option "Typing replaces selection" make sure =
you<BR>have=20
  a tick in this box and it should work ok.<BR><BR>-- <BR>Message posted =
via=20
  OfficeKB.com<BR><A=20
  =
title=3D"http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-application-errors/=
201005/1&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-application-errors/2=
01005/1">http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-application-errors/=
201005/1</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CB00B5.A4734750--

0
Reply Terry 5/31/2010 10:37:25 AM
Follow
Email

backspace button
im having problems using my backspace button. when i highlight paragraphs of information and press backspace intending to delet it, it doesnt delete it, i have to individually delete the information using the backspace button. Does anyone know how i can fix this. Thank you In news:E65A599C-591B-4BC5-A4E3-F4DA77901B73@microsoft.com, swatson <swatson@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > im having problems using my backspace button. > > when i highlight paragraphs of information and press > backspace intending to delet it, it doesnt delete it, i > have to in...

"Backspace" key doesn't work right in MSWord
For some time now, I haven't been able to use my backspace key to delete large portions (selected by highlighting) of text. I have to use the "delete" key. Similarly, I cannot just "write over" highlighted text that I want to replace. (This has become quite frustrating.) My MSWord application hasn't always had I this problem, so I'm thinking I must have accidentally change a setting some time ago. I don't have this problem with any of my other applications. Thank you SO MUCH for your help! Sincerely, cjouelle Go into Word Options and check ...

Tab and Backspace key problem
I have one user that when he uses either the tab key or the backspace key while filling in forms gets a nonprintable character (thick vertical bar) echoed to the screen rather than the tab moving the cursor to the next field or backspace erasing characters. This only happens in Microsoft Dynamics GP ver 9.00, other applications on the pc work correctly. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Any chance this is caused by something in his Regional Settings? or his keyboard settings? (different language / keyboard layout) Just taking a guess here .. M. &q...

when should you backspace, and when should you delete?
When should you backspace, and when should you delete when you are typing a paper? This can't be the answer you are looking for. You would backspace when you want to remove the entries before the cursor and you would delete when you want to remove entries after the cursor. But harken! there are two other methods of removing text; the "go back" curved arrow on the toolbar and "grouping all the text with the mouse and delete or cut. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Lizze" <Lizze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00D0B121-48DE-4B67-B44B-E8B67584...

vba types red and then backspaces
When I start to type code into anywhere in a form the typeing turns red and then auto backspaces. if i close the dbase and reopen and then type it is fine for awhile and then it starts this again i close and the loop continues. why is this happening because my productivity level is decreasing. thank you. seeker, Red usually means there is an error in the code. However, I have never seen it backspace. What version of Access? Could be the the form is corrupted or maybe the database. If you are sure it's not your code I would suggest MAKING A COPY then create a n...

Backspace doesn't work after inserting "\r\n" into CString
here is my problem. if the user enters more than 30 characters into CEditControl, I use GetWindowText to get the string and manually add "\r\n" at the 31st position and send back to editcontrol using SetWindowText. also I use SetSel( strTemp.GetLength(), strTemp.GetLength(), 0 ) to position the caret at the end of the text. but if I do that then backspace doesn't work to get back to the previous line. any ideas? That's because when you press backspace what happens is that one char is removed (which is the \r\n) then your EN_CHANGE handler is called, it there you check the...

Problem with DOUBLE LETTERS and Backspace
Hello, A friend of mine is having the following problem: my computer refuses to type double leters or backspace to delete typing. Any ideas of what is causing this or how to fix it? Thanks ahead of time... This is not a chat room - no need to post multiple messages. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Teched asked: | Hello, |=20 | A friend of mine is having the following problem: |=20 | my computer refuses...

BACKSPACE bug???
Hi All I've got the following problem: A1 cell is formatted as percentage with 2 decimals. When I want to edit the contents, the result appears to depend o whether you choose BackSpace or Del button, or overwrite. I want to display 5.00% 1). i overwrite it and get the right result. 2). i press Del and then type 5 - right result again. 3). i press BackSpace and type 5 - *and get 500.00%!!!!!!!* Could there be a bug or something? I've cracked my head with thi stuff. HELP!!! The users will be not too proficient in Excel, they will use the wa appealing to them, even if I write the ...

backspace at end of line
Only at the end of the line, backspace does not work. It does nothing. This happens in Word 2007, both at home and in the office. Word 2003 was OK. Any setting I missed, or is this a bug? Any help will be appreciated, Danny What do you mean by "end of the line"? Word doesn't really have lines -- just places where words wrap -- unless you've typed a Shift-Enter. Where do you put your cursor when you try to backspace, and what do you want backspacing to accomplish? It should simply delete the character to the left of the cursor. On Dec 11, 11:44=A0am, Danny &...

Handling backspace in a RichTextBox
Hello, I'm revisiting a problem I've never solved satisfactorily. I have a multi-line RichTextBox that receives text input from a serial port (not the keyboard); that input frequently contains backspace characters. To handle the backspace characters I'm currently calculating the offset of the character to be backspaced over from the beginning of the entire text box, selecting that character, then replacing it with no character. The "for" loop in the code below calculates the length of everything in the text box. While this scheme has worked correctly,...

Detecting Alt-Backspace in a KeyDown/OnChar event?
I'm using a CRichEditCtrl and for some reason I can't get to capture that key, Alt-Backspace. (the ALT key doesn't cause either one of those two events be fired... any reason why?) Could someone give me a hint as to how I should go about capturing Alt-Backspace? (I don't want to use an accelerator btw) "Kourosh" <kderakhshan@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:1144714604.408445.172660@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I'm using a CRichEditCtrl and for some reason I can't get to capture > that key, Alt-Backspace. (the ALT key doesn't cause...

Skipping spaces--Backspace forward
A non-keyboard, non- MS Word problem. For a week word processing is skipping 5 or 10 spaces in MS Word and email servers. Done, checked, scanned, replaced, detected and repaired everything, but nothing works. Backspace backspaces one space and advances five. Example: T h is is th e t im e f or a l l g o od m e n to co me t o t he a id of t ...

Backspace randomly starts deleting bullets...
I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able to stop it. Everything will work great for a time: When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward. When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward. .... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part: When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward. However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet. .... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't...

Problem with DOUBLE letters and Backspace #2
Hello, A friend of mine is having the following problem: my computer refuses to type double leters or backspace to delete typing. Any ideas of what is causing this or how to fix it? Thanks ahead of time... And this is Outlook related how?=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Teched asked: | Hello, |=20 | A friend of mine is having the following problem: |=20 | my computer refuses to type double leters or...

Notebook Layout
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I usually use the notebook layout view, and when doing bullets if I want to promote it I used to be able to use the backspace button and it would go back to the bullet that was ahead of mine. Now when I do that it works more like the normal layout and I cannot get to the previous bullets. Is there a way to change this? Use Shift+Tab to promote to the previous level. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/29/10 10:12 AM, in article 59bb624f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "mixbabe13@officeformac.com" &l...

Ctrl+Backspace spits out squares rather than deletes words (Outlook 2007)
I'm re-posting this because I incorrectly mentioned that this problem was resolved. It is not resolved. And I now have Office 2007 installed on my workstation at the office and the exact same symptom is on that machine. It never saw the beta version of Office 2007. -- I have gotten into the habit of hitting Ctrl+Backspace to delete entire words of recently typed text. This is a great time saver. Unfortunately, in Outlook 2007, I am seeing the e-mail editor spit out squares (i.e. valueless Unicode character blocks). It's erratic; I can hold Ctrl down and keep hitting Backspace and...

when deleting text hit backspace more than once delete paragraph?
I am working in publisher 2007, every time i make a mistake and go to correct the error, when pressing backspace key more than once, it automatically selects the entire paragraph and if i hit it one more time it erases the entrie paragraph? Why does it do this? is this a know problem with the beta2? I believe you should be able to press the backspace (delete) key as many times as you want to delete text, i dont want to use the mouse when typing to correct mistakes. This doesn't happen with my beta, could be a repair would help. I had an issue with the Document Imaging so I repaire...

When I select a word, the backspace key doesn't delete it
When I select a word or phrase that I would like to delete, I use the mouse to highlight the selected area, then click backspace. However, all of a sudden the backspace key doesn't delete it.... I must use the delete key. This change happened over night, and I don't know how to remedy it. Thanks In Word 2003, make sure that the "Typing replaces selection" is checked in Tools | Options, Edit tab. The corresponding option ("Typing replaces selected text") for Word 2007 is found at Office button | Word Option, Advanced category (look under "Editing...

e-mail backspace deleting in body instead of in address field
Hi! A quick search for this subject showed me some questions on a similar problem, but no answers... Outlook 2003: When I compose an e-mail and type the address and want to delete it by using backspace or delete, only the text in the body is deleted. The cursor is in the address field, blinking, but when I hit backspace, a cursor appears in the body which is not blinking. This problem came when installing "SDK International, Trados 2006" translating software. This software adds a toolbar in Word and uses s.th. called "TW4Win". It is possible, though, to delete the field...

Outlook 2007: Ctrl+Backspace spits out squares rather than deletes words
I noticed this in the beta release but shrugged it off as a beta bug. I see now that I should have reported it as a bug because it seems to have been rolled out in the RTM release. I have gotten into the habit of hitting Ctrl+Backspace to undo entire words of recently typed text. This is a great time saver. Unfortunately, in Outlook 2007, I am seeing the e-mail editor spit out squares (i.e. valueless Unicode character blocks). It's erratic; I can hold Ctrl down and keep hitting Backspace and it might create two squares, maybe five squares, maybe one, before it will finally "ca...

intellimouse gone dirty-boy; restore backspace on outer left butt.
You have really spoiled my life with your downgrade of Intellimouse. I need the outer left button to be settable to backspace for Spider for Windows. Next you'll be taking the double-click off the wheel button so that I can't tailor Excel column widths and row heights to fit contents. YOU SHOULD NEVER REMOVE FUNCTIONALITY, ALWAYS IMPROVE IT OR LEAVE IT ALONE. I am not even sure that the "UG" has fixed the jumping clicky-curso problem that starts before Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in and persists after Windows has declared closedown and the screen fades into darkness. If i...