xp no boot menu no key board option

My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"

I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
fastened properly.

thanks for reading

--
namflow44
namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
namflow44

Can you open in Safe Mode?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"namflow44" <namflow44.4clzxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>

> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Peter
6/15/2010 6:20:50 PM
no, the computer stays stuck on the american megatrends page...

--
namflow44
namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
namflow44
6/16/2010 3:07:48 AM
On Jun 15, 1:19=A0pm, namflow44 <namflow44.4cl...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>
> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.ht=
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

It sounds like it is not getting far enough along to be able to tell
if you need to reinstall XP or not.

Let's say you do have to reinstall XP - do you have a genuine bootable
XP installation CD?

Is this a desktop or laptop system and if you know the make and model
what is it?

Does the system have a CD drive?

Prior to you being asked to fix the computer, was there any statement
preceding that along the lines of:

Everything was working just fine until __________ happened and now it
won't boot at all!

Does the system sound like the fans are running okay (some whirring
noises).

When you power it up does it beep?  One short beep is generally a good
thing, so if you have zero beeps that would not be good.  If you have
more than one short beep, the system is trying to tell you something.

If you have some other kinds of beeps, try to describe what the beeps
sound like:  one short, two short, one short one long, two shorts one
long, one continuous beep, etc.

Here is how to decode the AMI beep codes during the POST (Power On
Self Test) of a system with an AMI BIOS:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Any of that sound familiar?

When the Megatrends screen show up and shows you the status of the HD,
what is the status of the HD?

Is there a message on the Megatrends screen that tells you how to get
into Setup or system BIOS (press DEL or F1 or something like that) and
what happens when you do that?  Pressing the DEL key is what I use on
my system with American Megatrends BIOS to get into the setup.

Do you have access to a Phillips screwdriver?
0
Jose
6/16/2010 10:26:05 AM
namflow44 wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

Why do you think such a drastic measure is needed? Why not identify the
particular problem and solve it? Almost always, it is much easier and
quicker to do this!

> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff.

What is the status of those things? What does it say?

> I tried ps2 and usb
> keyboards but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was
> using have led lights but they never turn on I checked connections
> and all were fastened properly.

Are you able to enter the BIOS? According to this page:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

you need to press the Del key *immediately* after you press the PC's
power button. Sometimes, you need to press it repeatedly until it
"takes."

0
Daave
6/16/2010 2:31:09 PM
Ok,
a couple things, I'm assuming that if you get the AMI start page perhaps the
settings for USB support and or PS2 support have been turned off, thus your
keyboard / mouse may not work.   you might try this , if you know how to
reset the BIOS by opening the computer and moving the bios  jumper I would
try that first. alternately you can try removing the CMOS/BIOS battery for a
short time with the computer unplugged.  after the CMOS/BIOS settings have
been reset  try powering up the computer and see if it passes the basic AMI
bios settings page ...

"namflow44" <namflow44.4clzxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>

> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Shaun

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

Out of Office not on Tools Menu in Outlook 2003
The Out of Office assistant is not available on my Tools menu. I am using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro. The help files trouleshooting guide indicates that if the tool is missing that I can go to Tools > Options > Other tab > Advanced Options > Add-in Manager, then select the Exchange Extensions command. When I select Add-in Manager I have something called "Exchange Extensions property manager" already highlighted. I would appreciate any help on getting this feature to work. Thanks. Make sure you have clicked on your inbox before going to the tools menu. ...

set paste option automatically
I'm trying to do a simple copy (ctrl-c) from Word and paste it into an Excel cell with ctrl-v. Now the 'paste option' button comes up each time and I have to select 'match destination format' each time. If I turn off paste options, then the cell contents remains blank. Help! ...

Registry keys to set HTML format
I am looking for the correct registry key to set the mail format to HTML and disable word as the editor, on a permanent basis Reg <ab@commarc.co.nz> wrote: > I am looking for the correct registry key to set the mail > format to HTML and disable word as the editor, on a > permanent basis In Outlook, click Tools>Options>Mail Format to set the mail format to HTML and disable word as the editor. -- Brian Tillman [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\M ail] "EditorPreference" "UseWordMail" It's best to use t...

HELP MENU
When I have the help index opened on the right side of the excel spreadsheet..., it CLOSES when I type onto my spreadsheet. HOW DO I KEEP THE HELP MENU OPENED and NOT MINIMIZED, when I am typing onto my spreadshet??? thanks, flkulchar ...

menu tool bar
my menu tool bar has disappeared - when i click on options it shows as being there but is not there when i am in outlook trying to manipulate my mail - did i do this accidently or is there a problem on my computer? You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file, which is the file that stores your toolbar customizations. Try renaming or deleting your outcmd.dat file while Outlook is closed. Renaming it might be the best idea if you have a lot of customizations that you'd prefer not to lose; that way if renaming the file doesn't solve your problem, you may be able to restore it later whe...

Publisher's catalogue options
How do I return to Publisher's catalogue opening options to choose a different design after I select one of the publications to view? When I don't want to choose that design, I must close down Publisher to return to the catalogue. This doesn't seem right. In the catalogue task pane, click "Publication Designs." Or file, new... you wouldn't have to close Publisher. In Publisher 2000, click "Design" in the task pane -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mom Joan" <Mom Joan @d...

Can I add a control to a menu entry?
Hello out there, I want to provide the option to clone GUI elements. I envision a context menu with an entry like Clone - Horizontally - ?How many? - Vertically - ?How many? and in the entry marked as ?How many? above I would like to add a NumericUpDown. Is something like this possible? Best regards Helmut Giese "Helmut Giese" <hgiese@ratiosoft.com> wrote in message news:ebksh5pel5o98dc3jqgpr6dh26necilkq9@4ax.com... > Hello out there, > I want to provide the option to clone GUI elements. I envision a > context menu with an entry like &g...

Resource Scheduling Options
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C56B47.1114C0F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm currently in the midst of an enterprise level Domino R5 to Exchange = 2003 migration. The client has become quite reliant on the Domino = resource scheduling capabilities. One of the capabilities Domino offers = is the capability to track the maximum number of occupants a resource = (meeting room) can handle. When scheduling meetings and events, the = meeting organizer only sees a list of tho...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Password Change Option on OWA
Is there any reason I shouldn't change the option to allow users to change their password from OWA? Microsoft must have had a reason to not make it available by default. -- Paul Bergson It isn't available by default beause SSL is required by default in order to be able to change passwords. Since SSL cannot be enabled until you have installed a certificate, it makes sense to not have the ability to change passwords via OWA on by default, right? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message news:%23G8VO6uLFHA.3016...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Rules and Alerts Item Missing From Menu
I just installed Office 2003 and in Outlook the 'Rules and Alerts' item is missing from the Tools menu. I did a Repair but still no good. I uninstalled Outlook and re- installed. Still no Rules and Alerts item in the Tools menu. Please Help. Nick 1) do you have the smart menu feature enabled? did you click on the down arrow to expand? 2) find and delete outcmd.dat from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You can easily access it by pasting %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook in the Address bar of your browser or Windows Explore...

Detecting Shift key when form is opened
What is the best way to tell if the Shift key is held down when a form is opened? The form is being opened from a toolbar. I don't want to react to the Shift key's being pressed after the form is opened. I only want to react if the Shift key was being held down when the toolbar option was clicked. Also, is there a way to do this for reports? Thanks in advance. James ...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Data Migration
Hi All, Thought this might be interesting. I have just heard that Scribe have added a new licensing option. Currently they have a perpetual license for 3995 and a 90-day "migrate" license for 995. Now, they have added a 45-day "migrate" license for 495! This is a great option for an initial data load - now, you can use an evaluation version to design and test your data import and then just get the 45-day license to perform it. Excellent for cost-concious sites. Stephen P.S. I don't work for Scribe! ...

Can I use Server 2008 product key for Multipoint Server 2010?
I downloaded a beta version of Multipoint Server 2010 from a download site. It installed without asking for a product key. It might expire itself in 60 days - I'm not sure. It's based on Server 2008 R2. A small note on my desktop just above the clock tells me that I have an evaluation copy of Server 2008 R2. I have a technet subscription that's going to expire in a month. Will my technet product keys work for this Multipoint / Server 2008 installation and turn it into a permanent install instead of evaluation copy? If not, how to I keep this install of Multipoin...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Outlook 2002 Tools-menu disappeared
Hi! I have a Outlook 2002 installation (WIN XP Pro SP2, Office XP SP3) and suddenly the "Tools" menu in the main-menubar is not displayed anymore. I searched through all the settings and also reinstalled Office XP with no success... how can I display it again ? I need to configure settings, eMail-accounts ... any hints on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated, thanx in advance! best regards, Hans ------------------------------------------------------ My eMail-address has been changed due to spam. eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at You can delete the...

Autofilter list options
I am working with a worksheet that has the autofilter applied. The list does not reflect (Blanks) and (no blanks) and there are blank cells. How do I get this added to my list ->>>>>Help ASAP Thanks Maybe the empty cells actually have a space or something in them, or maybe the (Blanks) and (No blanks) options are at the other end of the drop down list. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "red1" wrote: > I am working with a worksheet that has the autofilter applied. The list does > not reflect (Blanks) and (no blanks) and there are blank cells. How do I ge...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...