xp no boot menu no key board option

My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"

I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
fastened properly.

thanks for reading

--
namflow44
namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
namflow44

Can you open in Safe Mode?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"namflow44" <namflow44.4clzxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>

> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Peter
6/15/2010 6:20:50 PM
no, the computer stays stuck on the american megatrends page...

--
namflow44
namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
namflow44
6/16/2010 3:07:48 AM
On Jun 15, 1:19=A0pm, namflow44 <namflow44.4cl...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>
> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.ht=
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

It sounds like it is not getting far enough along to be able to tell
if you need to reinstall XP or not.

Let's say you do have to reinstall XP - do you have a genuine bootable
XP installation CD?

Is this a desktop or laptop system and if you know the make and model
what is it?

Does the system have a CD drive?

Prior to you being asked to fix the computer, was there any statement
preceding that along the lines of:

Everything was working just fine until __________ happened and now it
won't boot at all!

Does the system sound like the fans are running okay (some whirring
noises).

When you power it up does it beep?  One short beep is generally a good
thing, so if you have zero beeps that would not be good.  If you have
more than one short beep, the system is trying to tell you something.

If you have some other kinds of beeps, try to describe what the beeps
sound like:  one short, two short, one short one long, two shorts one
long, one continuous beep, etc.

Here is how to decode the AMI beep codes during the POST (Power On
Self Test) of a system with an AMI BIOS:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Any of that sound familiar?

When the Megatrends screen show up and shows you the status of the HD,
what is the status of the HD?

Is there a message on the Megatrends screen that tells you how to get
into Setup or system BIOS (press DEL or F1 or something like that) and
what happens when you do that?  Pressing the DEL key is what I use on
my system with American Megatrends BIOS to get into the setup.

Do you have access to a Phillips screwdriver?
0
Jose
6/16/2010 10:26:05 AM
namflow44 wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

Why do you think such a drastic measure is needed? Why not identify the
particular problem and solve it? Almost always, it is much easier and
quicker to do this!

> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff.

What is the status of those things? What does it say?

> I tried ps2 and usb
> keyboards but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was
> using have led lights but they never turn on I checked connections
> and all were fastened properly.

Are you able to enter the BIOS? According to this page:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

you need to press the Del key *immediately* after you press the PC's
power button. Sometimes, you need to press it repeatedly until it
"takes."

0
Daave
6/16/2010 2:31:09 PM
Ok,
a couple things, I'm assuming that if you get the AMI start page perhaps the
settings for USB support and or PS2 support have been turned off, thus your
keyboard / mouse may not work.   you might try this , if you know how to
reset the BIOS by opening the computer and moving the bios  jumper I would
try that first. alternately you can try removing the CMOS/BIOS battery for a
short time with the computer unplugged.  after the CMOS/BIOS settings have
been reset  try powering up the computer and see if it passes the basic AMI
bios settings page ...

"namflow44" <namflow44.4clzxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>

> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Shaun

Print Option
Hi, I am using ShellExecuteEx function to print a file. I do not want the print option to be enabled untill the current print job has been completed(untilll the user selects either print or cancel option in the print dialog). How should i check whether the print dialog is still present or the user has selected an option? gshetty I would say you write your own thread to bring up the print dialog. > Hi, > > I am using ShellExecuteEx function to print a file. I do not want the > print option to be enabled untill the current print job has been > completed(untilll the user sele...

Outlook and XP #2
I installed windows XP, and now I can't open Outlook. It attempts to install outlook everytime I open it, but it can't install from the CD because the installation program recognizes it is installed already. What do I do? can you uninstall it? Try that first, then do a reinstall. That should work "Glenn G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b6001c3fc9a$8c637fc0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I installed windows XP, and now I can't open Outlook. It > attempts to install outlook everytime I open it, but it > can't install from t...

Installing Office 2000 (Word) on XP with pre-installed 2007
I installed my copy of Office 2000 on a 6-months old XP computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed. Thereafter, Excel 2000 works but when I open Word 2000, I get a blank document, as expected, but no tools or buttons at the top. I believe 2000 is trying to use tool files from 2007. I have tried to load Office 2000 into its own directory named "Microsoft Office 2000" but the install does not allow me to select the program files subdirectory. Could I temporarily change the "\Microsoft Office" subdirectory name which contains Office 2007 to "\Microsoft ...

Exercising Stock Options and Taxes
All, I've managed to enter the transaction in my employee stock option account as an exercise and sell transaction. But the broker takes federal, state, and medicare taxes out of the proceeds, then mails me a check for the remainder. I'm trying to figure out how to account for these taxes so that they show up in my tax estimates. And how to categorize the net proceeds as income since they'll have to be reported on my tax return. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jay In microsoft.public.money, Jay wrote: > >I've managed to enter the transaction in my employee stock opti...

service pack 2 on windox xp
Call me stupid, but I just went through all my updates and could not discover the installation of service pack 2 on my windows xp. Could you pls. tell me how I can check if I have it installed? would it not say service pack 2? My computer is running very slow even though I have high speed. Please help. -- serenity If you right-click on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, you should see on the very first tab: System: Microsoft Windows XP Whatever Edition (Home or Pro) Version 2002 (or whatever you have) Service Pack 2 -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Ut...

After installing Office XP SP3, Excel ActiveX controls are moved a
using Print Preview. With Office XP SP2, ActiveX Controls (combo boxes, buttons, etc) stayed in the correct location after using print Preview from the Excel File menu. After installing Office XP SP3 and using Print Preview, all controls on the spreadsheet are moved to the left hand side of the sheet. I thought it might be becuase the sheet was created in the older version, but I also see this with ActiveX controls added to sheets created with the new service pack. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Maybe... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Con...

RDP challenge after changing "main" profile's password, can't access any longer with RDP in XP SP2
I'm running XP Pro SP2 on all administrative desktops computers at my school. Our main password was compromised and I used RDP to access all the administrative computers from home and changed the password on the "Main" profile after hours. When the staff came in the next day, they could not log on with the new password. I could not log on from home using the new password. I accessed the computer remotely via the "Tech" profile and changed the password on the "main" profile and then the staff could sign in using the new password. All was well. (...

Employee Stock Options
I have an investment account in Money 04 that contains several employee stock option "investments." They are now being handled by a different broker. I'd like to move each of the options to a new Money account. Is there a way to do that without re-fat-fingering all the previous transactions? Ken In microsoft.public.money, Ken Kast wrote: >I have an investment account in Money 04 that contains several employee >stock option "investments." They are now being handled by a different >broker. I'd like to move each of the options to a new Money account...

No Junk email option in Organize Pane
I'm trying to enable junk email filtering in Outlook 2K. When I open the Organize pane to enable the junk email filter, there is no option to select or turn. Just some dribble about Using Folders, Colors and Views. Is this a bug? Should I do the usual re-install Outlook (yikes!) Try detect and repair first. Also, make sure you are using the Organize button when you are in a mail folder. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be dele...

Updating Call option prices
I sold some calls on Best Buy and entered the transaction in Money 2003 with the BBYHV symbol. When Money updates prices on the Internet, it doesn't update the price of the calls. What do I need to do to update the prices? In microsoft.public.money, Steve wrote: >I sold some calls on Best Buy and entered the transaction >in Money 2003 with the BBYHV symbol. When Money updates >prices on the Internet, it doesn't update the price of >the calls. What do I need to do to update the prices? See http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=options++dot&num=50&as_scori...

Selected item on the Duration drop-down menu/combo box of an activity
Hello all, I have a client-side question, I presume. By default, the value in the Duration field of any activity is set to 30 minutes. Now, I have put an onLoad JavaScript that changes the values in the drop-down, but even if I leave out "30 minutes" value, it still remains the default written into the Duration field. I tried different ideas like document.getElementById("actualdurationminutesSelect").selectedIndex = 0; or similar but I can't change it - it always default to 30 minutes. How could I override these settings and make the first item on the list s...

SOLVED: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP
As noted in this forum in the thread "WARNING: Update 969947 may prohibit establishment of an RDP session on Windows XP" from 11/10/2009, Windows XP may freeze during login in an RDP session. Some users noted that there is a Known Issue (as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947) involving the ATI Radeon HD 2400 series video adapter. However, the test system on which I had this problem has an nVidia GeForce 7050/ nVidia nForce 610i integrated on a Biostar GF7050V-M7 motherboard. However, it's video driver was not the latest. Taking a cue from the ...

HWND of the menu
Hi, is there a way to get HWND of popup menu? I'm using ModifyMenu method to set bitmaps on the menu and it doesn't repaint until I move mouse over. So I figure can get its HWND and repaint it. thanks No. It is safe to assume you cannot modify a menu once it has popped up. joe On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:37:02 -0400, "andre" <a@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi, >is there a way to get HWND of popup menu? >I'm using ModifyMenu method to set bitmaps >on the menu and it doesn't repaint until I move mouse over. >So I figure can get its HWND and repaint it. &g...

XP Style Controls ?
Hi guys, I've been doing a little research and am getting confused about Windows XP style controls. Many articles I read use VC++.net, I use VC++ 6.0 (with Service Pack 5). Do I need the newest MFC with .net in order to have the XP controls ? I want my program to use the XP themes because if I have to make the buttons myself by hand I may as well design totally different ones. Can someone point me to some well-written tutorials ? Thanks. >I've been doing a little research and am getting confused about Windows XP >style controls. Many articles I read use VC++.net, I use VC++ ...

using short cut keys
I can answer this one. "nydia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017901c397fc$ff579af0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > ...

XP repeatedly installing updates
Hi I have a problem with Windows XP Home Edition. Every time I shut down it installs updates. I am pretty sure it is installing the same updates over and over. I have noticed that whenever I shut down there is an updates icon attached to the red Turn-off button. In the Liveupdates box, available from control panel, I have unticked automatic and chosen the 'inform me when updates are available' but it doesn't. It still downloads them regardless. I would be grateful for any help or advice. -- Many Thanks Tony Roake E-mail tony.roake@roakemail.co.uk Tony Ro...

Option Group
In Access 2002 vba I'm trying to check an option group for value using: For I = 0 To 3 If Me!optFunct(I).Value = True Then Let FuncCode$ = CStr(I) End If Nex I The option group is named optFunct, bullets are named optFC(0), optFC(1), optFC(2). The error I get is: "Property let procedure not defined and property get procedure did not return an object". Any suggestions? The option group itself should contain the value. Don't check the constituant controls. If Me!optFunct = [Desired Value] Then..... "storrboy" <storrboy@sympatico.ca> ...

Word 2007 ink options
I have a 'pen mouse' (A 'bamboo tablet' if this makes things clearer) and have only just discovered that on the word 2007 toolbar there are 'ink' options which allow me to scribble and draw in word documents. Every time I start Word the pens go back to default settings - e.g. the felt tip pen is always red and a certain width. Is there anyway to change the default settings on this particular function? Thanks -- doghouseriley ...

Inserting yes/no dropdown menu
I want to insert a dropdown menu in a cell so that when the cell is selected, the user can only choose 'yes' or 'no'? I have done this many times but how to do it has totally slipped my mind. Any ideas? Use Data | Validation on the cell and select list - you specify where the list is stored. You will only need 2 cells, containing Yes and No Actually Pete, you can just type Yes,No in the source dialog box. No cells needed. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 21 Nov 2005 10:57:01 -0800, "Pete" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote: >Use Data | Validation on the cell a...

send and receive faxes from windows XP using a modem
How can I send and receive faxes from windows XP using a modem? Depends on version of Winxp, if pro there is Windows Fax, otherwise using the fax software supplied with your modem "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ON3V9u6lKHA.5128@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I send and receive faxes from windows XP using a modem? > > > > > > I have home edition and the modem did not come with any software? "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message news:uzX4RK7lKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gb...

OWA change password option without installing certificate server
Hi ! Good ! that there is a concern about the security for changing the password using OWA (outlook web access), Is there any way out to make change password option work without installing certificate server ?. Installing and managing certificate server is another overhead for the administrators. I feel there is also complication when it comes to recovering the failed server. If any experts have solution to make the change password option work please mail it to me, It will be of a great help. Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Vivek ...

Context Menu in List Control
Hi all, I want to create a context menu called by a right mouse click on a multi-selection List Control in a report mode. So far I've managed to create the menu by handling NM_RCLICK, like this: void GetTLETab::OnNMRclickList(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) { CMenu menu; CPoint pt; ::GetCursorPos( &pt); menu.CreatePopupMenu(); menu.AppendMenu( MF_STRING, 0, _T("Delete this item")); menu.AppendMenu( MF_STRING, 1, _T("View details")); menu.TrackPopupMenu( TPM_LEFTALIGN, pt.x, pt.y, this); *pResult = 0; } This displays the context menu correctly. Now I n...

I have a custom form (GP 8) and I have code that, according to the Guide, should insert a menu item for me that lets me load the form. The problem is the menu item does not show up. I put break points in and have run through the code. No errors occur, but the menu never appears. Can anyone figure out why this isn't working? optional in boolean ShowProgress; local CmdSequence Seq; local integer Status; local boolean AddMenuItems; {Set the flag indicating that menu items should be added} AddMenuItems = true; if AddMenuItems = true then {-- Add the item to the Cards>>Sales sub...

Service Call Dispatch sort options
The service call dispatch board needs some additional sort options. For example call priority and call number. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=567f0968-f08...

eXtender question
Hello Everybody. We added an eXtender window to the Manufacturing Bill of Material window - we need to include several key fields (PPN, CPN, BoM Type) - When we create a view based on this window, the key fields all get concatenated into one. Is there a way around this? I need each of the individual key fields. Splitting them based on a fixed length per field is not an option. We are using GP10. Thank you for any help you can provide. You need to use EXT00100 table to split out key fields. On Sep 28, 12:39=A0pm, Maria <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...