XP connection to Win2003 servers on old NT4 domain - issues

This is more an NT4 domain question than an XP one, but perhaps some
folks here still remember their NT domain days - or know of other
groups where those old timers still reside:

Here's the issue:

I have a single network split between two buildings 3 miles apart -
and connected by a T1 line (very Mickey Mouse.)

Half of the network - xx.xx.xx.1-128 - is in one building and the rest
- xx.xx.xx.129-255 is in the other.

I'm thinking that the NT 4.0 BDC in the one building is not talking
correctly to the PDC in the other - although I am assured by my higher
ups that everything is correct.

My XP users in both buildings are able to log on correctly. I can add
XP machines to the domain in both buildings, but some/most XP users in
building A can't see the Win2003 server in Bldg B and vice versa. The
two Win2003 servers can see each other with no problem.

One of my higher ups (who is out on leave and unavailable for another
month) turned one of the Win2003 machines into a virtual domain and
that seemed to solve the problem until ...

I moved server A to Building B (BDC) and Server B (with virtual
domain) to Building A (PDC.)

All DNS/IP changes were made correctly but server A doesn't see the
rest of the network at all.

AHA! I say to myself, this proves my theory that something was wrong
with the BDC, so until my higher up comes back and turns server A into
a virtual domain, I need to swap the two domain controllers too.

I do that (making necessary IP/DNS changes) and move PDC to Building 3
(now on the bottom half of the network.)

Server A sees the network and folks in Building B have no problem
connecting to it.

But now we're back to my original issue  - in that some folks
(especially newly added machines to the domain) can't see the server
in the other building. This is even true with laptops - the laptop can
log into the network in whatever building it's in and see THAT
building's server, but not the one in the other building.

I know that's long, convoluted and confusing - but any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0
Harlett

everything wants to connect to net
I've been happily running Outlook 2002 for a year or more. Recently uploaded activsynd and reinstalled Outlook 2002 with my new pda (ipaq h2210). Now everything seems to want to connect to the net and it didn't before. I don't have broadband so, this is irritating. Can I stop that happening? Martin ...

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Outlook 2003 lose connection to Exchange 2000 Server
Suddently my Outlook 2003 lose connection to Exchange 2000 Server SP3 and seems that internal email are slower than normal. Any idea on this problem? Thanks Simona ...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

ISA 2004 in the DMZ;is it OK if put the OWA in the same subnet where mailbox servers+connectors are ?
ISA 2004 will be setup in the DMZ to 'protect' the front-end servers. Currently my OWA+Mailbox+Connectors are all in one subnet, in the 'internal' network. Is it recommended that I put the OWA in a separate subnet and leave the mailbox+connectors on another subnet, or it doesn't matter leave them in the same subnet ? "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote: >ISA 2004 will be setup in the DMZ to 'protect' the front-end servers. > >Currently my OWA+Mailbox+Connectors are all in one subnet, in the 'internal' >netw...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Offline defrag needed after deleting 250 old users?
Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old users/mailboxes? Thanks How much data was deleted? What portion of the total is this? Nue "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B5087DE-CABB-47FB-9D2F-A6DEC467A2C7@microsoft.com... > Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old > users/mailboxes? > > Thanks > > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:39:27 -0800, SW <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old >users/...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

blocking spam on exchange server 5.5
Is there a program from microsoft or a outside vendor that stops spam emailas soon as it hits the exchange 5.5 server? http://www.clearswift.com -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "nigelcourtney" <nigelcourtney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BA3D9C6-ABC5-4788-B9F7-10321DDF4D02@microsoft.com... > Is there a program from microsoft or a outside vendor that stops spam emailas > soon as it hits the exchange 5.5 server? www.commtouch.com/downloads -- Sincerely, D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MC...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Server Active Sync and Windows Mobile 5.0
Does any body know if there is a new version of the CertChk tool which is working with a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? The CertChk tool is not working with my new T-Mobile MDA Pro (WM50 device). I have no problems with a device running Windows Mobile 2003. Thanks for any help Regards Sandro Pizzingrilli ...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Do I need to specify WINS IP on the server?
Hi all, For the best practice, do I need to specify WINS IP on the TCP/IP on the exchange 2003 SP2 servers? (win2K & win2003 envir.) Thanks in advance. In news:614C4C0C-C93F-4207-8825-9EA1AD366C6C@microsoft.com, Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi all, > > For the best practice, do I need to specify WINS IP on the TCP/IP on > the exchange 2003 SP2 servers? (win2K & win2003 envir.) > > Thanks in advance. I would (presuming you actually have a WINS server on your network). Do this for all servers & clients. Thanks for your help. ...

IMF V2 not respecting connection filter settings
I've seen some mention of this problem by others, but have not seen if anyone has resolved this. I recently installed Exchange 2003 SP2 with IMF V2. We had previously listed some internal IP ranges under Connection Filtering's accept list so that IMF would not scan messages generated by our web servers. This worked fine with the previous version of IMF (which I did uninstall before installing SP2), but does not seem to be working now. Messages from this list of IPs are not bypassing the filter. Anyone find a solution to this? On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:47:13 -0600, "Shaw...

Can I use Server 2008 product key for Multipoint Server 2010?
I downloaded a beta version of Multipoint Server 2010 from a download site. It installed without asking for a product key. It might expire itself in 60 days - I'm not sure. It's based on Server 2008 R2. A small note on my desktop just above the clock tells me that I have an evaluation copy of Server 2008 R2. I have a technet subscription that's going to expire in a month. Will my technet product keys work for this Multipoint / Server 2008 installation and turn it into a permanent install instead of evaluation copy? If not, how to I keep this install of Multipoin...

Switching Outbound Servers
Hi, I use Outlook 2003 and want to know how to change the outbound server on-the-fly (while creating an outgoing message) without going into Tools - E-mail Accounts and changing the Default e-mail account. Is this possible, perhaps even with a macro if necessary -- but preferably quite simply? Thanks. There should be an Accounts button/dropdown in the toolbar while you're composing a message that will allow you to change the account that will be used for sending "William Benson" <wbenson1(SPAMSUCKS)@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:%231CLa1LhFHA.2372@TK2MSFT...

SQL Server Remote Connection Problem
Hi All, I did RDP to a server that has SQL server named ABCsql. From my local machine, I created a new connection and put ABCsql in Server name dropdown box and selected Windows Authentication/SQL Server Authentication (sa,sa) but it failed to connect using Database Engine. Because I want to remote to the SQL Server: ABCsql but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for any help from you guys. ...

sql server report service 2008
My company used just purchased sql server 2008 and I installed several new reports via sql server report service 2008. Now I am ready to setup report builder 2.0 for expereinced users that are not in the Information Technology group. Can you tell me and/or refer some urls that I can use to setup report builder 2.0 for these users? ...

Replace Exchange Server (part two)
I was not clear enough on my frist posting of this question. I replied to one of the questions, but it died there, so I'm posting again with better information. Sorry. I currently have one E2K3 server running on an older Dell box with Windows Server 2003. I'm looking to replace it with a newer Dell box running the same software. I want to stand up this new server to replace the old one but I want it to have the same machine name as the old one so that everything I have that points to it will still be able to find it. I know I can't have them both at the same time with ...

Multiple CRM 3.0 Installs in One Domain
We'd like to have 2 CRM 3.0 environments (dev and production) such that crm.domain.com points to production and crmtest.domain.com points to a dev environment. These will be mutually exclusive environments in that they will not need to share data. The dev environment will serve 2 purposes. 1. development arena - custom entities, callouts, etc 2. training arena - for internal company use I hear a lot of talk about CRM supporting such a configuration, but no reference to where I can find the documentation that would tell us how to implement it. Can anyone help out with that? Also, if...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

add computer to domain
Hi all, I want to assign one regular user to be able to join the computer to domain without assigning the doamin admin rights. Windows 2003/XP envir. Thank you. Hello ed, If you didn't change the default GPOs, each authenticated user(AD user account) is able to join up to 10 machines to the domain. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hi all, > &...