Windows XP Home Edition Config\System Missing

Hi:

My 15 year-old daughter has a Gateway system that is 4 years old, running XP
Home. Today she encountered a black screen on start-up that essentially
states Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG. We can't find the Operating System CD for
Windows XP Home, and my XP Professional OS disc I read cannot be used instead.
I have a read a resolution that requires ijnsertion of the OS XP Home disc;
boot from CD; Windows set-up initializes and press "R" to repair recovery
console; hard drive is examined; perform a disck check (chkdsk /p and
fixboot); type exit to restart; exit to restart and then select Last Known
Good Configuration. Question: anything to download to make a boot disc for
Home Edition with minimum files that will allow me to attempt a fix? I do not
want to purchase an OS for Windows XP Home edition.

Thank you.

Adam

On Dec 15, 8:01=A0am, adam <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> My 15 year-old daughter has a Gateway system that is 4 years old, running=
 XP
> Home. Today she encountered a black screen on start-up that essentially
> states Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing o=
> corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG. We can't find the Operating System CD=
 for
> Windows XP Home, and my XP Professional OS disc I read cannot be used ins=
tead.
> I have a read a resolution that requires ijnsertion of the OS XP Home dis=
c;
> boot from CD; Windows set-up initializes and press "R" to repair recovery
> console; hard drive is examined; perform a disck check (chkdsk /p and
> fixboot); type exit to restart; exit to restart and then select Last Know=
> Good Configuration. Question: anything to download to make a boot disc fo=
> Home Edition with minimum files that will allow me to attempt a fix? I do=
 not
> want to purchase an OS for Windows XP Home edition.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Adam

I think I have fixed this one before:

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or
improper shutdown?

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed
before you do anything else.

If any of those events have occurred, you should boot into the Windows
Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD, or create on a
bootable XP Recovery Console CD. This is not the same as any recovery
disks that might have come a store bought system.

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file
and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on a computer that is
working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM
drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.  These
adjustments are made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it,
you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually  1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder.  This is the same as the C:
\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

RC allows basic file commands - copy, rename, replace, delete, cd,
chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive
where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the
afflicted drive.

Running chkdsk is fine to run even if it doesn't find any problems.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.  It may take
a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'.  Be patient.  If the
HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something.  Keep an eye on
the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the
computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the
CD will not be present.
0
Jose
12/15/2009 2:33:33 PM
"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

"How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File"
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

On 12/15/2009 8:01 AM, adam wrote:
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG
0
Leonard
12/15/2009 2:33:37 PM
And the good news is that OP's XP Pro installation CD *will* work (in
*this* particular situation) because all he needs from it is the
Recovery Console.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP
> from starting"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>
> "How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System
> File"
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> On 12/15/2009 8:01 AM, adam wrote:
>> WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG

0
Daave
12/15/2009 5:09:03 PM
On Dec 15, 12:09=A0pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
> And the good news is that OP's XP Pro installation CD *will* work (in
> *this* particular situation) because all he needs from it is the
> Recovery Console.
>

> Leonard Grey wrote:
> > "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP
> > from starting"
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>
> > "How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System
> > File"
> >http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
>
> > On 12/15/2009 8:01 AM, adam wrote:
> >> WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG

Yes it will for RC, and they can also make a RC CD for those rainy
days.

0
Jose
12/15/2009 5:27:53 PM
Jose wrote:
> On Dec 15, 12:09 pm, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
>> And the good news is that OP's XP Pro installation CD *will* work (in
>> *this* particular situation) because all he needs from it is the
>> Recovery Console.
>>

>> Leonard Grey wrote:
>>> "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP
>>> from starting"
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>>
>>> "How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System
>>> File"
>>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

> Yes it will for RC, and they can also make a RC CD for those rainy
> days.

Agreed. It's *always* good to have options.

0
Daave
12/15/2009 6:07:00 PM
<below>
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

On 12/15/2009 1:07 PM, Daave wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 12:09 pm, "Daave"<da...@example.com>  wrote:
>>> And the good news is that OP's XP Pro installation CD *will* work (in
>>> *this* particular situation) because all he needs from it is the
>>> Recovery Console.

>> Yes it will for RC, and they can also make a RC CD for those rainy
>> days.
>
> Agreed. It's *always* good to have options.

Backing up is also an option.

LG
0
Leonard

Money 2000 stalls system after two or three transactions entered
Recently when I try to add transactions to my account register, it will let me enter two or three and then my whole system locks up solid. I can't bring up Task Manager or anything. I'm running it on XP Pro and have never had any problems with Money in the past. Any help would be very appreciated. UncBooga ...

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

Protect Resources from being viewed or edited
Hello, I have made an application in VC++ 7.0. Now I would like to prevent the resources in the EXE file from being viewed or edited by any body else. Is that technically possible? How do I do it? I didn't find any articles using Google. Regards, Gautam Jain I know of no way to do this. "Gautam Jain" <gautambjain@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OGvdNHlbEHA.2388@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > I have made an application in VC++ 7.0. Now I would like to prevent the > resources in the EXE file from being viewed or edited by any body else. > &...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Uninstalling PowerShell in Vista Home to upgrade to Vista Ultimate
I have Vista Home on a Dell studio laptop. I have just reinstalled this after a HD replacement. I am trying to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. A Compatibility check during the start of the upgrade says to uninstall Windows PowerShell. I went to the microsoft support site for guidance. I am unable to see PowerShell or its KB in the list of installed updates as the guidance said I should see. Hence, I am unable to select it to uninstall. The list of installed updates only says "Update for Microsoft Windows" or "Hotfix for Microsoft Windows." How can I get it to show ...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

Can't open Outlook for Web Access over the net using 2000 or XP but can with 98?? Any ideas
Hi there, Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 system can no-problem? Thx in advance. "David Sullivan" <dsullivan@bcl-international.com> wrote in message news:lGNLc.5216$Z14.6537@news.indigo.ie... > Hi there, > > Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to > Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 > system > can no-problem? > > Thx in advance. > > What version of IE is running ...

OE dbx files
I'm back. No new problems. I bought my netbook with XP and OE and have copied my dbx files to it. Now, I'm still looking for something that will open them when I no longer have OE (like WIN7, for example). And Twayne, remember that you're done with me. Please don't demonstrate your superiority on these subjects again, at least not for my posts. Remember - you're done with me. I keep wondering why someone doesn't offer a software program that will allow us to continue using OE. I'm still open for advice (except from Twayne). When you no l...

Callout Event for System User Business Unit Change
It would be useful to have a callout event available for the change of the business unit on a system user record. One example of how this could be used is to automatically add/remove users from a team based on the changing of their business unit. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree...