Win XP Home or Win XP Pro

Hi all

im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.

I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.

Thanks all
GK

0
Gabriel

WinXP Pro is normally used in a business environment to join a domain.
Home will be fine for your purposes.

"Gabriel Knight" <FakeEmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Hi all
:
: im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP
: edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
: updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
:
: I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
:
: Thanks all
: GK
:
:

0
Bickford
6/22/2010 12:51:53 PM
Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Hi all
>
> im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
> edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
> updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
>
> I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
>
> Thanks all
> GK

     The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro editions are _identical_ when it comes
to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
  The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh,
and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

	For your stated purposes, WinXP Home should do, and it should also cost
less.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce

Win 2k8 Replication
In W2k8, the DFS-R replicates the Sysvol information between DCs. But is that same mechanism used to replicate the NTDS.Dit file or is it still replacated as it was in Windows 2003? Howdie! Am 15.03.2010 19:45, schrieb TheArchiveMan: > In W2k8, the DFS-R replicates the Sysvol information between DCs. But is that > same mechanism used to replicate the NTDS.Dit file or is it still replacated > as it was in Windows 2003? Those are two different mechanisms. DFS-R replaces FRS as the file-based replication mechanism that used to replicate SYSVOL and NETLOGON across the ...

XP not connecting to Exchange 5.5
I have a client running SBS 4.5. The clients are Windows 98, with the exception of one XP. XP client was just added to the network, after the 98 client's hard drive failed. The client is connected to the server and networked printers, but I am unable to get a connection to the Exchange server. When I try to connect and click on check name, I get a time out. Any idea why the client is not connectimg? Thank you for your help in advance! Candace Sparks I would see if ldp can connect to the server from the same client - port 389. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is pr...

mpg file with WMP11 has cracking noise on win XP SP2
Playing mpg file with WMP11 has continuous cracking noise on win XP SP2, eMachines M6807. i.e. Audio has problem but video is ok. Audio and video are ok when playing wmv and mp3 files. The "Download codec automatically" option is enabled. Does the same thing happen if you play the file on a different system? Try updating the sound card drivers to the latest version. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk powah wrote: > Playing mpg file with WMP11 has continuous cracking noise on win XP SP2, > eMachines M6807. > i.e. Audio has problem ...

Windows XP Professional Errors / Issues after Up-Dating!
Hi All. I am hoping that some kind soul can have pitty on me and throw me a life line, rather than have to go through the whole dreaded re-install of everything. Firstly, let me give you my PC specs in case that helps. Win XP Pro 32bit. Intel P4 3.40GHz CPU. 1,000W PSU. ABIT IC7 MAX III Mobo. Herculese Digifire 7.1 Sound card. Gainward Geforce GS7800 512MB RAM. and 4Gb of system RAM. One Hitachi 450Gb HDD. I generaly tend to use my PC for web browsing and Gaming, and of course emailing and listening to the odd bit of music etc. I was using the PC on Tuesday evening of t...

Retail Pro
Retail Pro just released ver 8.5 and sent me out an offer for a demo. I turned them down before puchasing RMS for a demo of the product since I had made up my mind . RMS is far greatter product. So what do they do they are now offering features that the copied from RMS. Serial number Offline Inventory Mutliple Supplier for same item. Just thought I would share this. (I would attach an audio click of an applause.. and standing ovation) Your presence in here is so awesome! Keep up the great work! Marc Wagner www.gmroii.net "Raffaele & Lula Fabiano" <rlfabiano@hotma...

lost PST file under XP
I want to re-install Office and XP, but retain my messages, claendar etc in Outlook. Under Win 98 this was simnple - I copied the old .pst file and then dropped it in after I'd re-installed. Problem is - I can't find a remotely current Outlook.pst file - even though all my messages, calendar & contacts info display are current and display when I open Outlook, the only .pst file I can find is dated way back in December. Any ideas, anyone? Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when searching for pst-file. By default it is located in C:\Documents and Set...

PS on Win Vista vs Win 2003
Hi Guys. If i run the following command on win Vista Get-ChildItem 'D:\FTP\public' -recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True} | Where-Object {$_.GetFiles().Count -eq 0} Everything works 100% and it list about 10 empty folders If i run the same command on windows 2003 it does not work, is there a difference? and it list every single folder. Why is that? GetFiles doesn't seem to have a dependency on a particular .NET version, but try this on your Windows 2003 Server in a few empty directories: PS>(get-item .).GetFiles().count Maybe there'...

Ecel (XP) formatting
Hello, I use Excel (XP) to create tables for web pages - i.e. 'save as we page...' and then open them in dream weaver to format them. The proble I'm having is that saving as web page keeps all the column values an row heights etc. which creates a v.largge html page. Is there a way to strip out all the values when saving? Many thanks in advance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

No Win 7 Mouse Wheel Scrolling
I'm having a problem scrolling table rows in Access 2007 and 2003 with the mouse wheel. If I scroll the wheel about as fast as possible it might scroll one row in table view then nothing. Otherwise nothing scrolls with normal wheel speed scrolling. Mouse wheel scrolling is normal in database windows for tables, forms, etc. and in modules. Wheel scroling is normal in other programs. I have tried two mice(sp?), both MS wireless type, but different models. Built some new datagrid views that I read are designed to allow wheel scrolling. Any registry setting, etc. I can che...

Excel XP 2002 Vs. Excel 2000
Hello everyone, A workbook (10 mb size) that I usually use in Excel 2000 is running my macros extremely SLOW after I upgraded to Excel XP 2002. I haven't done any changes to the workbook before or after upgrade. Can someone please tell me why this ishappening that way. I became so frustrated that I reinstalled Excel 2000 and the problem went away. I'm confused. Your guidance is appreciated. ...

Excel freezes: From Palm to Win
I have an excel spreadsheet which I have on my Palm Pilot which was placed there by documents to go. One day my spreadsheet on my palm told me an error 514 message, and just froze, found out it could be insufficent space on my palm. There is no macros, but was a password needed to change data within the palm. I transfered it back and when i open it in word i get an error message: EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d0b99. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d0b99 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=00...

Infragistics.win.UltrawinGrid
I am using Infragistics.win.UltrawinGrid namespace. I am using UltrawinGridGroupByRow Class Here I am getting an error while accessing the membe "DescriptionWithSummaries" The Error is..... "'Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGridGroupByRow.DescriptionWithSummaries is inaccessible due to its protection level" Now please help me what's this Protection Level????? and How can I access the member "DescriptionWithSummaries - pravinamr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co -----------------...

LOTTO WIN
I'm trying to set up a little convinence store and selling LOTTO to our customers. How can I setup LOTTO WIN - PAY OUT ITEM? Also how can I and multiple tax on certain item? Sales Tax and County tax should be collected from customer on certain item such as VODKA. Any input will be appreciated. You can use the Cash Pay Out feature in the POS. Press F10: Drawer and follow the prompts. The only draw back to this you can't add another item on the same transaction. Otherwise create a generic Payout item that prompts to enter the price. Then enter a - negative dollar amount or crea...

difference between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002
I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 Go to John Walkenbach's site www.j-wal.com Lots of info there. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Eleanor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD9A6D01-EA2F-4031-B6C6-99E2E2DD0EE3@microsoft.com... > I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C3F6CA.F29BA860 Content-Type: multipart/alt...

XP Pro power options
Hello there, On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes into standby mode, what could be the problem? Thank you, T You have checked the BIOS settings? Tester wrote: > Hello there, > On an XP Pro sp3 Dell machine, although I set the power options and > power schemes to never and also disabled hibernate mode it still goes > into standby mode, what could be the problem? > Thank you, T One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party applications ma...

Outlook 2000 running on XP
After setting up a mail account and indicating that I want all passwords remembered I constantly get promoted to enter a password when I send and/or receive mail. I have clicked remember password in all dialoges during the setup process and via the Properties dialog following the creation of the account. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully accepted Thanks "Ross Andrews" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fb4801c45886$24eab500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After setting up a mail account and indicating that I > want all passwords reme...

OUTLOOK EXPRESS & MICROSOFT XP
I HAVE RECENTLY UPGRADED TO MICROSOFT OFFICE XP SMALL BUSINESS. SINCE THEN, MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS WILL NOT LET ME OPEN UP MY INBOX FILES. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO, IF ANYTHING. THANKS Stop typing in all caps!!!!! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&...

pro forma
What does this term mean and how does it relate to financial statements? pro forma Done as a formality; perfunctory. Provided in advance so as to prescribe form or describe items: a pro forma copy of a document. As it pertains to financial statements see here........ http://www.investorwords.com/p5.htm#proforma Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:23:02 -0800, "Aysendak" <Aysendak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What does this term mean and how does it relate to financial statements? Thanks, your answer and the link you provided were a great help. &quo...

WinXP Home IE Setup
WinXP Home Version 2002 32bit Fat32 Spk2 Please help me to solve this since have no information about the pending job: "A previos installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running ie setup". Please answer all of the following questions by number in your next reply (no need to quote this post): 1. Are you attempting to install, e.g., IE8 or...? [1] 2. Is Automatic Updates enabled, can you reach http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, and is the computer fully-patched at Windo...

Error "91' after upgrading to xp pro sp3
I have "RMS 2.0.0115 running window xp pro sp3, after I upgraded to the sp 3, Two to 3 times a day the RMS gets this Error: Run-Time error "91': object variable or with block variable not set. then when I press ok I have to restart the RMS Any info on this thanks There is a patch available now for a known issue with RMS and XP SP3. I got a notice the other day that is should be available on Windows Update. Marc "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EB3B8A7-5C50-460C-A8F1-F21AC6056202@microsoft.com... >I have "RMS 2.0.0115 r...

reinstating genuine xp software
I had my Packard Bell computer stripped and re-formatted a while ago by a 'friend of a friend' after picking up some nasty virus(es). Once returned the computer worked fine for a while, but then started diplaying pop-ups saying the windows was not genuine. I can only assume the IT guy installed a rip off version of windows XP rather than the genuine one. The original Microsoft sticker with the product key is attached to the computer but I didn't get a disk when I bought the PC several years ago. Can I reinstall the genuine software by simply entering the product key s...

RegQueryValueEx and XP
This call doesn't seem to be able to read/write DWord values in the registry on XP systems. Does anyone know where I can find a working sample? See the following KB article for an example usage. HOWTO: How To Change Hard Error Popup Handling in Windows NT http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=128642 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Stewart Peck" <stew@pawsinc.com> wrote in message news:%23qQo1girDHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > This call doesn't seem to be able to read/write DWord values in the registry >...

Have Office Xp, but want to get just Publisher off a Office 2000.
any one have a solution Publisher is on the second disk of Office 2000. You can install it as a standalone. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kev" <kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8934684-34E1-4689-93A5-60872C7510FD@microsoft.com... > any one have a solution ...

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Outlook XP and Word problems...
I use Word as the emaileditor within Outlook but all of a sudden when I want to write a mail or reply to someone a message pops up telling me that "Microsoft Word is either busy or cannot be found so Outlooks own editor will be used instead"... Word is on my computer working perfect btw... Any ideas on what has happened here and how to fix it? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q284900 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319796...