Win XP Home or Win XP Pro

Hi all

im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.

I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.

Thanks all
GK

0
Gabriel

WinXP Pro is normally used in a business environment to join a domain.
Home will be fine for your purposes.

"Gabriel Knight" <FakeEmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Hi all
:
: im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP
: edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
: updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
:
: I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
:
: Thanks all
: GK
:
:

0
Bickford
6/22/2010 12:51:53 PM
Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Hi all
>
> im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
> edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
> updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
>
> I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
>
> Thanks all
> GK

     The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro editions are _identical_ when it comes
to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
  The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh,
and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

	For your stated purposes, WinXP Home should do, and it should also cost
less.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce

Outlook problem with XP SP2
I have recently installed Windows XP SP2. Since installing it Outlook will only send email via the account that was the default at the time SP2 was installed regardless of the account selceted from the 'Accounts' dropdown. Outlook refuses to send any email at all if the account in question is removed. Any Thoughts? ...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

Windows XP keeps restarting
My Windows XP computer shutdown on its own and now it keeps restarting. I can start it in safe mode and have run a virus scan using AVG in safe mode and nothing was found although it was unable to scan some files in the Crypto subdirectory and other security files as it said they were in use. I was going to attempt a Windows XP repair. However my original product disk is SP2 and I have upgraded to SP3. Can I still do a repair from my product disk or do I need an SP3 disk? If I need an SP3 disk can I use any SP3 disk? Do I have to uninstall IE7 before I do this? Is there an...

Outlook 2003/Windows XP Pro
Is it possible to start applets from Windows taskbar as it was in previous versions? Assuming you mean the quick launch bar. * right click on the taskbar (area between start and clock) * select toolbars * select quick launch "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:743401c430ab$53aaf470$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to start applets from Windows taskbar as it > was in previous versions? ...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

Outlook XP #13
How can I change the color of messages received from certain people. I tried to apply a rule but it didn't work. You need to make sure you click on the button "apply color" on the far right after you choose the color or else it will not apply the color. "willardr@tacom.army.mil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:004f01c3a7b1$281e7300$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How can I change the color of messages received from > certain people. I tried to apply a rule but it didn't work. What is the exact text of your rule? -- Jocelyn Fior...

Win 7 x64 and problems with ERUNT
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should at startup. ...

error encountered installing office pro plus 2010 Win 7 ultimate 3
Trying to install Office Pro Plus 2010 in Win 7 unltimate 32bit downloaded from technet as the installer was starting to run got this error "Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:windows\installer\546ca7b.ipi -2147287035) ???? -- Thanks for the help Since Pro Plus is a volume license you would need to seek support from your Home IT dept, or via the phone numbers given with your 'purchase' of Pro Plus "pauldemo" <pauldemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:226448E2-498C-4D1B-A798-0D92E04D839A@microsoft.com... > Try...

Outlook Express 6.0 Win XP #2
How do I make a back-up of my messages on outlook express to burn on a CD ? Thanks ...

Outlook XP HTML email is plain text in OE6...why?
When my Father sends an HTML email to me it shows as plain text in Outlook Express6. We are both using WinXP (Him with Home and me with Pro). He is set to send HTML. His HTML message is properly formatted when received on my other computer using Outlook 98. I can receive HTML mail from others. I can receive HTML from my Outlook 98 computer that look fine. Is something wrong somewhere? Thanks Scott Do you have OE set to read all messages in plain text (Tools | Options | Read tab)? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please ...

Printing in Win NT vs Win 2000
When printing a document in NT, it is coming out differently than from 2000. It doesn't matter what printer you print to. I've tried 4 different printers so far. The option in Excel is fit to 1x1 page. Any ideas? Thank you. Kathy I'm afraid it is difficult to get prints the same from different printers and operating systems as the drivers will be different all round. Excel uses setting from the drivers. You could try and ensure that all same printers have all same version of drivers for each operating system. (Normally manufacturers release them all together for Winx) ...

Excel XP
I am trying to import a text file into an Excel XP worksheet, every time I attempt this I get the error 'The file may be read only or I may be trying to access a read only location'. I can import the same text file to an Excel 2000 worksheet with no problems! Is there a security filter running somewhere in the background in Excel XP? Whats my problem? Can someone help!!! I've never seen this and don't know what causes it. But there was just a recent post that had the same problem. But their file was on a network drive. When it was copied to a local drive, the import w...

XP Only Re Boots
Using XP Pro SP3 the pc only re boots. Even safe mode and last known. I never get to the log in. The drive looks good when booting to a floppy. Tried repair from the install CDs but it did nothing. Looking for ideas. thanks "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A52B3C0-991B-4B46-BD7A-144C4F879511@microsoft.com... > Using XP Pro SP3 the pc only re boots. Even safe mode and last known. I never > get to the log in. The drive looks good when booting to a floppy. > Tried repair from the install CDs but it did nothing. > Looking ...

How to use exel 98 -02 -2003 if i have xp program?
I have xp software on my laptop and every single time try to do something with old programs like 98-02-2003 versions I have huge problems that document usually never viewed or some other problems like asking 100 questions before open the page? Could you please tell me what is the solition to get rid of all this hasitations? Thanks OS OS More clarity needed. Your native language may not be English so slow down a bit. You are running WindowsXP, correct? You have which version of Excel installed? Excel 2003 is the newest version of Excel for Windows operating system so wouldn't be c...

Printer sharing problem on XP
2pc's side by side running XP SP3. PC #1 had an HP IIP+ via parallel and an HP k8600 via usb. This worked fine. We added PC#2 and wanted to be able to print from it using shares on PC #!. They both show up in Explorer on PC#2 when I drill down into Network Places and click on PC#1. Regardless of how I try to make the connection I couldn't get the connection to work on the HP k8600 but it did work on the HP IIp+. So after wasting over an hour I decided to attach both printers to PC#2 and share back to PC #!. The same results occurred. I can print to both printers from t...

Question about Win 2003 R2 OEM license key
I installed Win 2003 R2 with a used OEM license key and media. Obvious it cannot be activated with this key. I asked the vendor to get a new license key. What the vendor told me is even I get the new license key, I will need to re-install Win 2003 with the media it shippes! Is this true? My believe is as long as it is unused new OEM license, I can just put the key in, even the Win 2003 is installed with a media that tagged with a different license key. Am I right here? Sorry--you have landed in a MacWord newsgroup. You'll need to find a Windows newsgroup to ask your question. http:...

Win a limited edition Google Water-Bottle!
Hi all, Did you know that Google Docs makes it easy to create forms and surveys? One of the least known, but most useful features of Google Docs is forms and we want your help in spreading the word. Now we want to do raffle among the participators of Google Doc survey after you come back to campus from the Thanksgiving! Please take seconds to fill out the Google Doc survey ( the link below) and you could win a limited edition Google water-bottle or a Google Wave account! Survey Link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGsyVUdYSjhqUmF5dm9ZYjk3RVZoUVE6MA...

Access XP database
I am creating a database that will produce a sales contract in the construction biz. It will have two tables: one contains the line items and the other the customer information and static contractural information. I need to link the two tables so that I can produce a query from which I will produce a report. 3 questions: 1). What kind of field would I need to create to act as primary key, which leads to question 2). What kind of relationship do I need: one to many, etc and 3). what kind of join would I need to make this work?. The table with line items has a "Yes/No&...

XP PRO OPEN LICENSE, does it exist?
I need to sell a large amount of computers with XP PRO in them I would like to install the XP PRO OPEN LICENSE on one, and then CLONE the others, so that when a hard drive dies, or XP dies and I need to re-installed it, I can do it without problems, just like in Windows 85, 98, me I have been told by the distributors I purchase Microsfot products from, and by Microsoft, that this product does NOT exist I have on my hands a "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Volume License Product Key Required)" Part # E85-01172. This product was purchased by another client, from someone I do not kno...

Outlook XP Upgrade
Does anyone know if an upgrade to Outlook 2003 w/BC can be purchased without buying the entire office suite upgrade? You can buy Outlook 2003 for $109.00 by itself. Frank El Paso, Texas ...

Remote controlling WMP over a Win 7 office network
Hi All, We have one machine in our office with Windows Media Player (latest version under Win7 Pro x64) with a massive music library and speakers distributed through the office. I'd like each computer in the office to be able to remote control that Windows Media Player - is that possible? If so, how? Thanks, Thomas. ...

message configure office xp with front page
Hi. I have a problem when starting up Excel. A message window comes up and says 'please wait while office xp configures with frontpage' . Then asks for the installation CD of office XP. I don't have the installation CD, and I don't use front page. The message came up a while back and I lost the excel icon entirely from Office toolbar. I had to pin it to startmenu manually from office short cut bar. Is there any chance I can end this problem? I think it has something to do with Visio which I installed and uninstalled after about a week because I didn't need it. Wi...

Exchange 5.5
Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 server in an NT4 domain. The clients are running Outlook XP. I'm trying to send Calendar requests from this to a seperate Server/Exchange 2003 forest. If I just create a calendar appointment and Invite Attendees from the other forest it only goes through as text, but I've found I can send a Calendar request as an *.ics by clicking "Actions > Forward as iCalendar" which successfully forwards on an appointment that users in the corresponding forest can Accept. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to set the Outlook clients to ...

Win XP and Win 7
I apollogize if someone feels this it OT but I can't find an NG for Win 7. Regarding an "up-grade" from XP to 7. I OWN a stand alone ( not upgrade) retail copy of XP . I am going to build a new PC and retire my present one. I will be slaving my current hard drive to the new one so I can keep some of my files and have some extra storage. I want to install Win 7 on the new hard drive. Win XP will not be the bootable HD. I want to use Win 7 Pro Upgrade for my new OS and do a "clean" install. Does Win 7 verify the presence of Win XP by the ORIGINAL Win XP disc? (...

Error Message in Outlook 2002 under XP
When I am doing a mail merge and I try to open an existing document file, I get the warning message "The File Exists". I cannot open the file. ...