Win Internet Explorer died

        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From the
beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one job at
once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.

Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no info
comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try and
close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a "program
not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"  "Internet
options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.

Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3> enter
BIOS  F8> boot menu)
This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg :-)

Jason

0
Jason

"Jason James" <ass@ass.com> wrote in message
>        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
> ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
> the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one job
> at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>
> Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
> info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try
> and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
> "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
> "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>
> Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
> with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3> enter
> BIOS  F8> boot menu)
> This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
> Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg :-)
>
> Jason

Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE loaded
OK!!!  Using editing, I typed www.google.com into the destination box and it
worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in any of the
boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google is in the
"home" field.  I dont know :-)

Jason

0
Jason
6/27/2010 5:02:39 AM
On Jun 27, 6:02=A0am, "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote:
> "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote in message

> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought =
2ndhand
> > ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
> > the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one =
job
> > at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>
> > Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
> > info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you tr=
> > and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
> > "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
> > "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>
> > Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
> > with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3> ent=
er
> > BIOS =A0F8> boot menu)
> > This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
> > Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg :=
-)

> > Jason
>
> Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE loa=
ded
> OK!!! =A0Using editing, I typedwww.google.cominto the destination box and=
 it
> worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in any of the
> boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google is in the
> "home" field. =A0I dont know :-)
>
> Jason

Search for a suitable chipset upgrade. In the last six years there
should have been one.
0
AsK
6/27/2010 9:23:06 AM

> "Jason James" <ass@ass.com> wrote in message
>>        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
>> ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
>> the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one
>> job at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>>
>> Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
>> info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try
>> and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
>> "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
>> "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>>
>> Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
>> with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3> enter
>> BIOS  F8> boot menu)
>> This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
>> Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg :-)
>>
>> Jason
>
> Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE
> loaded OK!!!  Using editing, I typed www.google.com into the destination
> box and it worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in
> any of the boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google is
> in the "home" field.  I dont know :-)

Reset IE to default settings
Open in 'Start without addons'
choose 'tools' > Internet options > advanced > Reset > apply > ok
Close IE
Now you can use IE normally

0
123Jim
6/27/2010 9:29:40 AM
Jason James wrote:
>        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought
> 2ndhand ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January
> this year.

*Ouch*
I hope there is something pretty special about that system for $600.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Mfr;Mfr_1549,Detail;163_1099_32575_32575

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/27/2010 12:28:38 PM
On 6/27/2010 5:28 AM, Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Jason James wrote:
>>         This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought
>> 2ndhand ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January
>> this year.
>
> *Ouch*
> I hope there is something pretty special about that system for $600.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Mfr;Mfr_1549,Detail;163_1099_32575_32575

Gotta agree with Shenan. $600 for a four-year-old (or more) Packard Bell
is pretty expensive unless it's a screaming machine. Packard Bell was
never a major player in the computer market.

Bill
0
Billns
6/30/2010 10:54:29 PM
"AsK" <aleckie68@googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 27, 6:02 am, "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote:
> "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote in message

> > This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
> > ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
> > the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one
> > job
> > at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>
> > Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
> > info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try
> > and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
> > "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
> > "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>
> > Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
> > with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3>
> > enter
> > BIOS F8> boot menu)
> > This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
> > Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg
> > :-)
>
> > Jason
>
> Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE
> loaded
> OK!!! Using editing, I typedwww.google.cominto the destination box and it
> worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in any of the
> boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google is in the
> "home" field. I dont know :-)
>
> Jason

Search for a suitable chipset upgrade. In the last six years there
should have been one.

0
Jason
7/2/2010 8:45:45 PM
"AsK" <aleckie68@googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 27, 6:02 am, "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote:
> "Jason James" <a...@ass.com> wrote in message

> > This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
> > ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
> > the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one
> > job
> > at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>
> > Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
> > info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try
> > and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
> > "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
> > "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>
> > Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
> > with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3>
> > enter
> > BIOS F8> boot menu)
> > This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
> > Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg
> > :-)
>
> > Jason
>
> Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE
> loaded
> OK!!! Using editing, I typedwww.google.cominto the destination box and it
> worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in any of the
> boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google is in the
> "home" field. I dont know :-)
>
> Jason

Search for a suitable chipset upgrade. In the last six years there
should have been one.

Thanx for the advice. If I get back to it, I'll ask around for any newer
chipset replacements are available. I live in the boonies tho,..and such a
search may well be limited :-)
I have a newer 2006 IBM PC to use from my daughter. It looked OK at first,
but threw up a "report to Microsoft error report" on trying to start IE.
I'd like to make it the subject of a new post. ATM it's a matter of trying
to get the better PC going :-)

thanx,.. Jason

0
Jason
7/2/2010 9:01:44 PM
"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> "Jason James" <ass@ass.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jason James" <ass@ass.com> wrote in message
>>>        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought 2ndhand
>>> ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January this year. From
>>> the beginning it was a bit twitchy if you asked it to do more than one
>>> job at once,..it would go real slow, but would catch up.
>>>
>>> Now when booting IExplorer the screen shows the window borders,..but no
>>> info comes up,..such as home-addy and what its connecting to. If you try
>>> and close it or enlarge to fullscreen it doesnt respond. Eventually a
>>> "program not responding" box comes, and you shut it down with "end now"
>>> "Internet options" has the right info. Outlook Express works normally.
>>>
>>> Before it died, it would freeze at the first screen ie> "Packard Bell"
>>> with the ESC and 2 "F" choices at the bottom (esc>switch screen F3>
>>> enter BIOS  F8> boot menu)
>>> This fault cleared by itself, but the IE was dead.
>>> Thanx for any hints. Will get it repaired if its not an arm and a leg
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> Using the accessories program "Internet Explorer without add-ons", IE
>> loaded OK!!!  Using editing, I typed www.google.com into the destination
>> box and it worked OK. Tried the normal IE icon,..still nogo. No text in
>> any of the boxes on the IE window.Checked "Internet options" and google
>> is in the "home" field.  I dont know :-)
>>

> Reset IE to default settings
> Open in 'Start without addons'
> choose 'tools' > Internet options > advanced > Reset > apply > ok
> Close IE
> Now you can use IE normally

Thank you! This has worked fine for IE. I will give it a run and see how it
goes!

Many thanx,..Jason

0
Jason
> Jason James wrote:
>>        This Packard Bell PC with winxp home edition was bought
>> 2ndhand ($600). Its about a 2006 model.Took delivery in January
>> this year.
>
> *Ouch*
> I hope there is something pretty special about that system for $600.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Mfr;Mfr_1549,Detail;163_1099_32575_32575

Yeah,..I got ripped off. No-one to blame but myself :-(

Jason,....BUT,.. it wont happen again :-)

0
Jason

How to prevent user put mail under Internet news group in Exchange
Dear Sir, Can anyone tell me how to prevent user put mail the Internet news group in exchange 2003? I have remove the users create top level folder in public folder, but user still able to move or copy the mail to the internet news group. Thanks Lum Modify the client permissions on that public folder so that they don't have rights to create items, only read them. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Spana Lum" <SpanaLum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4E9F96B-10CF-4C2D-B5B3-862317C6A3D3@microsoft.com... > Dear Sir, > > Can anyo...

same cd-key and blocked internet?
hi. i wanted to ask you guys for help. i had an ibook before, but recently i bought a new one. when i got the new one, i accidently installed the same cd key for office 2004, although i had a different cd keys. because these two computers had same office cd key, somehow office blocked off the network. ( i heard it happened before to my friends, but fortunately, they didnt live together, so it didnt bother them much) so i uninstalled the office, on both of em in face, and installed it again with diff cd keys. but it still doesnt work.. so here is description of wat happens: only one computer ge...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

IMCEA
I am new to Microsoft exchange and am looking out for details on IMCEA (a.k.a. Internet Mail Connector Encapsulated Addressing). 1) The first very basis question is what is IMCEA. 2) How does routing happen when we send an email using IMCEA. 3) Does exchange strip IMCEA<type> string before send the destination address to connector or it sends it as is. E.g. Suppose I have a connector that can understand SMS address type. Now, using OL i send an email to IMCEASMS-123456789@localdomain.local. In this scenario, what will be the recipient addres in my connector? a) IMCEASMS-123456789@l...

internet email
I can't send an email from an internet page. It keeps saying that outlook express is not my default mail. I have tried internet properties/programs and trying to select outlook for my email, but there is nothing in the box. I have also tried setting my outlook in tools/options/general to default but everytime I do it, it reverts back. Can anyone please help!!! ...

Outlook Express 6.0 Win XP #2
How do I make a back-up of my messages on outlook express to burn on a CD ? Thanks ...

EDC without constant open internet
is it possible to have EDC with a dail-up connectioon to the internet. please response on newsgroup letter only. thank you The "Preferred Provider" integration built into RMS will not auto-dial a connection, but if you open the connection manually before trying to process the card it will use that existing dial-up connection. Also, if you use PC-Charge, it will auto-dial. Using an always on connection will be much more convenient, but the card processing doesn't really require broadband speed. You might consider a broadband router that includes a modem fail-over fea...

error encountered installing office pro plus 2010 Win 7 ultimate 3
Trying to install Office Pro Plus 2010 in Win 7 unltimate 32bit downloaded from technet as the installer was starting to run got this error "Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:windows\installer\546ca7b.ipi -2147287035) ???? -- Thanks for the help Since Pro Plus is a volume license you would need to seek support from your Home IT dept, or via the phone numbers given with your 'purchase' of Pro Plus "pauldemo" <pauldemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:226448E2-498C-4D1B-A798-0D92E04D839A@microsoft.com... > Try...

Win 7 x64 and problems with ERUNT
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should at startup. ...

Internet Based Database
Hi All, I Was Woundering , Whats The Best Application to use, Where I Can Create a Database Which is in Access, But Instead of using forms the Front End,it is Webased, Regards Danny Don't use Access if you can possibly avoid it. It's not suitable for anything more than very basic web applications. You will have to do all communication with the database via OLEDB connections and SQL directly to the Jet engine. Your database will have to sit on the web server. If for any reason the database locks up, which can happen easily with an Access DB, your website will grind to a comple...

Printing in Win NT vs Win 2000
When printing a document in NT, it is coming out differently than from 2000. It doesn't matter what printer you print to. I've tried 4 different printers so far. The option in Excel is fit to 1x1 page. Any ideas? Thank you. Kathy I'm afraid it is difficult to get prints the same from different printers and operating systems as the drivers will be different all round. Excel uses setting from the drivers. You could try and ensure that all same printers have all same version of drivers for each operating system. (Normally manufacturers release them all together for Winx) ...

Incomplete internet mail header
Hi, After upgrading our exchange 5.5 to 2k3, a strange issue about how exchange manage internet mail header has appeared. Our current implementation is like this : MTA sendmail ---SMTP--> MTA Exchange with SMTP/X400 connectors ---X400--> exchange 2K3 All incoming SMTP mails received by Exchange2k3 have their headers mangled. Example : Here is the correct header, before we upgrade our exchange server (previous v5.5) : Received: from ... by ... with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2653.13) id Q533YR7F; Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:10:47 +0200 Received: from al...

Win a limited edition Google Water-Bottle!
Hi all, Did you know that Google Docs makes it easy to create forms and surveys? One of the least known, but most useful features of Google Docs is forms and we want your help in spreading the word. Now we want to do raffle among the participators of Google Doc survey after you come back to campus from the Thanksgiving! Please take seconds to fill out the Google Doc survey ( the link below) and you could win a limited edition Google water-bottle or a Google Wave account! Survey Link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGsyVUdYSjhqUmF5dm9ZYjk3RVZoUVE6MA...

Question about Win 2003 R2 OEM license key
I installed Win 2003 R2 with a used OEM license key and media. Obvious it cannot be activated with this key. I asked the vendor to get a new license key. What the vendor told me is even I get the new license key, I will need to re-install Win 2003 with the media it shippes! Is this true? My believe is as long as it is unused new OEM license, I can just put the key in, even the Win 2003 is installed with a media that tagged with a different license key. Am I right here? Sorry--you have landed in a MacWord newsgroup. You'll need to find a Windows newsgroup to ask your question. http:...

Remote controlling WMP over a Win 7 office network
Hi All, We have one machine in our office with Windows Media Player (latest version under Win7 Pro x64) with a massive music library and speakers distributed through the office. I'd like each computer in the office to be able to remote control that Windows Media Player - is that possible? If so, how? Thanks, Thomas. ...

Internet Orders #3
Is there still a way to download internet orders in RMS. I saw the functionality when I first installed the product, but am unable to find it now. Where do you put the server info at for the POS to download the internet orders? I have a web firm that is making a web store for me, and I have a copy of a XML Yahoo receipt. I jsut cannot figure out where to tell RMS to download the orders from. Thanks for the help, Nick http://www.newestech.com They have an add-in called Web Integrator that will download web sales in the Yahoo Stores DTD format and load them into the RMS Database cor...

Windows Explorer maximizes over XL 2000, if opened w/ explorer
Hi, A user is having an odd problem when he tries to open an Excel file with windows explorer. When he clicks on the file with explorer, it opens, but within a few seconds the windows explorer maximizes over the Excel app. It has started doing this recently, and no changes have been made to the computer. Is there a way to stop it from taking the desktop over, and have Excel take focus of the desktop? BTW, we are running Windows NT 4.0. Bill Try this: Tools > Options > General Ensure Ignore Other Applications is not checked. Thanks, did the trick Bill "DNA" wrote: ...

Win XP and Win 7
I apollogize if someone feels this it OT but I can't find an NG for Win 7. Regarding an "up-grade" from XP to 7. I OWN a stand alone ( not upgrade) retail copy of XP . I am going to build a new PC and retire my present one. I will be slaving my current hard drive to the new one so I can keep some of my files and have some extra storage. I want to install Win 7 on the new hard drive. Win XP will not be the bootable HD. I want to use Win 7 Pro Upgrade for my new OS and do a "clean" install. Does Win 7 verify the presence of Win XP by the ORIGINAL Win XP disc? (...

PS on Win Vista vs Win 2003
Hi Guys. If i run the following command on win Vista Get-ChildItem 'D:\FTP\public' -recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True} | Where-Object {$_.GetFiles().Count -eq 0} Everything works 100% and it list about 10 empty folders If i run the same command on windows 2003 it does not work, is there a difference? and it list every single folder. Why is that? GetFiles doesn't seem to have a dependency on a particular .NET version, but try this on your Windows 2003 Server in a few empty directories: PS>(get-item .).GetFiles().count Maybe there'...

Outlook 98
I'm updating several pcs from Outlook 98 with internet pop3 access to our exchange server to now being a corporate email client. When rebooting to complete the upgrade, a window (titled "Windows Explorer") pops up which says "There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed. It is recommended that you save your work and close all programs, and then restart your computer". This window pops up every time a system is rebooted. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it? Thank you! ...

Problems Connecting Outlook to an Exchange Server over the internet
I have a new Exchange 2000 server which I'm testing with three colleagues. For this testing phase I have exposed the server to the internet (and locked it down, of course). Two of us are able to connect Outlook to the server over the internet without difficulty. Well, there was a small problem for which we determined a workaround, which required that we create a record in the hosts file for the "short name" for the server, ie if the server is EXCH1.ABC.COM then we needed a hosts record for "EXCH1" which pointed to the IP address for EXCH1.ABC.COM. It appears that Out...

Win 2008 R2 File Server has "automatic" defrag every afternoon? NOT scheduled...
Hi all, I am getting an event log event 258 every afternoon at 2pm "Defrag analysis" on every drive on this W2K8 R2 box. The event is: "event 258" "The disk defragmenter successfully completed analysis on drivename (X:)" This is not the regular Defrag scheduled task, which I have set up to run on the weekends... This is a File Server and the time that this runs is in the afternoon when most users are runnig open files. I cannot find where to disable or reschedule this event. Does Anyone know about this? Thanks in advance! Hello ...

win 7 64 bit blue screen error
can help me ,tnks Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 AMD64 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\031110-33665-01.dmp] Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/ symbols Executable search path is: Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64 Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Built by: 7600.16385.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255 Machine Name: Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02a4d000 PsLoadedModul...

access 2007 french / win vista home premium
Dear all, I have an application running on all access versions till now. However, this application has troubles running on access 2007 french, Windows Vista familial Premium french. The trouble occurs each time I set a control on a form with a control source expression beginning with "=", as for example: =IIf(DLookUp("[PSW1]";"Th�rapeutes";"[ID Th�rapeute]=Forms![Psw_Liste_Sec]![ID Th�rapeute]") =Generkey(Trim([Forms]![Menu G�n�ral]![Admin_1] &[NomT]));"Oui";"Non") In this case, the control value is not displayed, and &qu...