Why is "Local Settings" folder NOT shown in WinExplorer ?

On one of my computers the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings

IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline command

dir /a

All settings in WinExplorer menu

Tools->Folder Options->View

are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled.
Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled.

But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer.

What is the reason?

Cindy

0
cypy

Yes, but you probably left "Hid Protected OS files" checked...

--
The Top Inno Setup Script Generator - http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

0
Randem
7/2/2010 8:06:52 AM
Cindy Parker wrote:
> On one of my computers the folder
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings
>
> IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
> The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline
> command
>
> dir /a
>
> All settings in WinExplorer menu
>
> Tools->Folder Options->View
>
> are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled.
> Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled.
>
> But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer.
>
> What is the reason?

Is the account you are logging in with a limited user account or a
computer administrator account?

0
Daave
7/2/2010 2:37:37 PM
Randem wrote:

> Yes, but you probably left "Hid Protected OS files" checked...

The %userprofile% and its subfolders and files are not OS files.
0
VanguardLH
7/2/2010 5:06:06 PM
Cindy Parker wrote:

> On one of my computers the folder
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings
>
> IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
> The folder exists on both computers.

Perhaps you don't have permissions on that folder or its parent folder.
0
VanguardLH
7/2/2010 5:06:57 PM
cypy@live.com (Cindy Parker) wrote in

> On one of my computers the folder
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings
>
> IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
> The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline
> command
>
> dir /a
>
> All settings in WinExplorer menu
>
> Tools->Folder Options->View
>
> are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled.
> Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled.
>
> But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer.
>
> What is the reason?
>
> Cindy

In Windows Explorer

Tools>Folder Options>View>Show hidden files and folders
0
Fuzzy
7/2/2010 5:47:27 PM
Local Settings normally are defined as "hidden" and you wouldn't see it
unless in Explorer you change it in tools>folder options>view to "show
hidden files".

Frank

"Cindy Parker" <cypy@live.com> wrote in message
> On one of my computers the folder
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings
>
> IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
> The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline
> command
>
> dir /a
>
> All settings in WinExplorer menu
>
> Tools->Folder Options->View
>
> are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled.
> Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled.
>
> But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer.
>
> What is the reason?
>
> Cindy

0
FrankV
7/2/2010 7:38:13 PM
"Cindy Parker" <cypy@live.com> wrote in message =
> On one of my computers the folder
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings
> IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT.
> The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline =
command
> dir /a
> All settings in WinExplorer menu
> Tools->Folder Options->View
> are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled.
> Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled.
> But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer.
> What is the reason?

Click "Tools", "Folder Options", "View", select "Do not show hidden =
files
and folders", click "Apply", then select "Show hidden files and folders" =
and
click "OK".  Also, "Local Settings" and "Application Data" are hidden by =

default, so if both are missing on the computer in question, the hidden=20
attribute is almost certainly involved.

Ben
0
Ben

Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\
when attempting to open any attachment i get error Can't open this item. Can't create file: anyfilename.ext Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions to that folder" found something that advised to edit the registry as i didnot want to do that i deleted the contents of this folder d:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\ and i was then able to open attachments ok. is there a setting that limits the size this folder gets to. if so how to i amen...

Local settings
In my app I need to display and enter values in a (derived CEdit) using ',' or '.' depending on localsettings. Regardless of the setting of 'Control Panel | Regional Options | Numbers | Decimal Symbol' it will use the '.' How can I make sure both possibilities will be handled correctly. If oneone has an example it would help a lot I think Here is a function I wrote to insert comma separaters... This might help. The function takes a "value" and creates a string formatted with commas. In this case I don't use decimals, but this could easily be ...

recover outlook pst file from local settings folder of a deleted user profile
Is it possilbe to recover an Outlook PST file which was saved to the users profile DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS dir, in their LOCAL SETTINGS folder, if the Users profile was removed via the XP User Profiles managment. I had made a copy of the user profile, then removed it, then had the user login , thus re-creating a NEW profile. When I went to the copied profile to get the data, the PST file was gone. The Local Settings folder was apparently NOT copied with the rest of the user profile. Is there anyway to get it back? -kip ...

Missing Local Settings Folder
I recently installed the OEM version of XP Pro, and it seems just fine; however, I found an oddity. The app I'm running should have a folder like: C:\Documents and Settings\joe\Local Settings\Application Data\WSentinel\config.txt But it has no such path, except for C:\Documents and Settings\joe\ I only have a few apps installed at this point. SeaMonkey browser, Paint Shop Pro, and some accurate time apps, which are very small. Comments? W. eWatson wrote: > I recently installed the OEM version of XP Pro, and it seems just > fine; however, I found an oddity. &...

Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Temp'
Hi, I just started to get this kind of error message when I make bakups with my Money 2003 Deluxe: "Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Temp'". I checked the folder mentioned and my WinXP user account has the privilges on that folder (as it is supposed to have). How I can solve it? Thank in advance. Di Fresco Marco > I just started to get this kind of error message when I make bakups with my > Money 2003 Deluxe: > "Money cannot creare a temporary file in 'C:\Documents and > Settings\[USER]\Local...

The location of C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKE5\file name
I am trying to find out where Outlook 2002 sets the location "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKE5\" as the default for opening up an attachment in an email. When I have an email with an attachment and I double click it to open it within the email, the attachment opens up in the proper application, but if I try to do a save as it will try to save it to the location mentioned above as a default. We were having some problems opening a specific rtf attachment that was being sent daily and nightly to several recipients. The email attachment had ...

user profile and local settings
We are increasing security and are changing many users from administrator capabilities to restricted. A handful of people lose their desktop settings as well as outlook. I believe it has something to do with the local settings folder but I am not sure. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Lisa Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to whatever operating system you're using. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele...

Forcing VB6 to NOT Use Local Settings
Some VB functions are Local Aware. How do I force them to NOT be Local Aware? "jim evans" <jimsTAKEOUTnews2@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:170ti5p7a2r2egkmhsv0ch5e78m9a4b39v@4ax.com... > Some VB functions are Local Aware. How do I force them to NOT be > Local Aware? Use Str/Val. If it's a date, use Format(). To convert back from a string that you formatted back to date, such as US Date, use Split(), then use DateSerial+TimeSerial to reconstruct VB Date. See function ConvertAnyDateFormat() at the link below which can convert dates based on a ...

Why is "Local Settings" folder NOT shown in WinExplorer ?
On one of my computers the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings IS shown in WinExplorer whereas on another it is NOT. The folder exists on both computers. I can verify it through cmdline command dir /a All settings in WinExplorer menu Tools->Folder Options->View are the same. Yes, "show hidden files and folders" is enabled. Yes "Display content of system folders" is enabled. But on one computer the folder does not appear in WinExplorer. What is the reason? Cindy Yes, but you probably left "Hid Protected...

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RCXZN5L9
HELP I am running out of space on my C:\ Drive and was looking for things to delete when I came accross the following of over 1GB. C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RCXZN5L9 What is it and is it safe to delete everthing in it? In fact is it safe to delete everthing within the C:\Documents and Settings\Mark E. Moss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ Directory? Mark Moss IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Browsing history | Settings | Disk space to use: Since you're...