update fails

Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
Keeps coming back as a needed update.
Any thoughts?
SG

0
shakey

Should have mentioned this: running XPpro sp3 with manual update install.
This update comes back almost immediately as "updates are ready for your
computer" message.

"shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
> Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
> it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
> Keeps coming back as a needed update.
> Any thoughts?
> SG

0
shakey
6/19/2010 1:29:02 AM
From a post by
Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

<snip>

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979906).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

OPTION B:

See:

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

    How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

   [As of this post, KB318785 hasn't been revised since November 2008 so you
may not find the pertinent information in it.]

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

Download links for .NET Framework Cleanup Tool:

..
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

..
http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

    1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.

<end snip>

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
> Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1 it gets
> half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install. Keeps coming back
> as a needed update.
> Any thoughts?
> SG

0
Peter
6/19/2010 1:49:32 AM
Thank you Peter - Looks like I have a good sized job to do this but I will
do so.
SG
"Peter Foldes" <maci252211@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>    2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
>    3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
>
> NB: KB923100 references this page:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.  Please
> read
> ALL of it as well as the related page
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
> Framework Cleanup Tool.
>
> Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
> updates offered.
>
> <end snip>
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET> wrote in message
>> Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1
>> sp1 it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to
>> install. Keeps coming back as a needed update.

0
shakey
6/19/2010 2:04:29 AM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:57:11 -0700, "shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET>
wrote:

>Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
>it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
>Keeps coming back as a needed update.
>Any thoughts?
>SG

Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
on as far as these updates.  You are not the only one to have problems
with them.  I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----

I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
I have and just ignore those problem updates.  Even the so called MVPs
have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
including me.

0
kraut
6/19/2010 12:29:10 PM
"kraut" <kraut3852@yahoo.comg> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:57:11 -0700, "shakey" <NOONE@NOWHERE.NET>
> wrote:
>
>>Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
>>it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
>>Keeps coming back as a needed update.
>>Any thoughts?
>>SG
>>

> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
> on as far as these updates.  You are not the only one to have problems
> with them.  I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>
> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
> I have and just ignore those problem updates.  Even the so called MVPs
> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
> including me.

Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
..net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them? I
didn't think so :))

0
123Jim
6/19/2010 6:19:08 PM
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:19:08 +0100, "123Jim"
<jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:

>>>Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
>>>it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
>>>Keeps coming back as a needed update.
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>SG
>>>

>> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
>> on as far as these updates.  You are not the only one to have problems
>> with them.  I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>>
>> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
>> I have and just ignore those problem updates.  Even the so called MVPs
>> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
>> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
>> including me.
>>

>Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
>.net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them? I
>didn't think so :))

Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.

Thanks for asking.

0
kraut
6/20/2010 12:31:27 AM
<snipped>

kraut wrote:
> Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.
>
> Thanks for asking.

Obviously something else is wrong with your system that will be diffficult
to troubleshoot remotely and without access to the machine.

I say this because although there may be many people with the problem - in
relative terms - there are very few of the TOTAL who could have the problem
with it.  I have not seen it myself - and manage several thousand machines
that could be affected by it.

If the normal means of repairing the issue do not fix it for you but has
worked for others - then the problem you have is more unique than you may
have first thought and the best solution for you may be to start over.

Clean Install Windows XP

Be sure your backups are complete before you do this. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/20/2010 12:43:10 AM

>>> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
>>> on as far as these updates.  You are not the only one to have problems
>>> with them.  I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>>>
>>> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
>>> I have and just ignore those problem updates.  Even the so called MVPs
>>> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
>>> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
>>> including me.
>>>

>>Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
>>.net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them?
>>didn't think so :))
>>

> Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.
>
> Thanks for asking.

Did the uninstall succeed?  I'm baffled I must say ....
<thinks> How about some process is using the .net framework and not allowing
the update in the normal way .. (the process would then make use of .net
framework as soon as it is re-installed) .... Did you go through your
running processes and kill as many as possible before trying to update?

0
123Jim

Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed
Hi I had activate de Routing restrictions on my Exchange 5.5 and I put the ip address of the hosts that can relay, but some times I recive an email with this message: Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed on the admin mail accaunt AnyBody, have an idea?? Thanks for all ...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

char * is fail in CArray while char[] is success
Hi Experts, i have following structure typedef struct xy{ int num; char *val; }XY; struct XYArray:public CArray<XY,XY> { }; in cpp file, in a function struct XYArray Obj; Now i can add XY type variable to Obj like XY A; A.num=1; A.val=str; // suppose str is a char *array which contains some value. Obj.Add(A); // add XY type variable to Obj Suppose i add 10 elements to Obj. Now when i get each element of Obj then i found that value of val field of XY structure has been change. i.e. XY B=Obj.GetAt(0); B.val is not which i add in Obj. While if i declare XY as typedef struct xy{ int num...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

AutoConfig API fail because of Domain Policy
Hi, The call to WlanSetInterface with op-code to disable AutoConfig is failing with error code ACCESS DENIED. Is this because of some kind of Domain Policy enforced by the Win7 server? I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks, Vani -- vani Posted via http://www.win7heads.com ...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...