The system file cannot be specified

I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.

I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
its directories:

01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3

Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
It has a file length of 0 bytes.

I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
just two of the many things I've tried:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted in the
first place.

My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
just an entry in the MFT.

I could sure use some help to remove this.

tia.

jc
0
jc

"jc" <jcgroups.10.nexis@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message
> I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> its directories:
>
> 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
> just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted in the
> first place.
>
> My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> just an entry in the MFT.
>
> I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> tia.
>
> jc

May work but also may not.  Try this:

Start the command prompt. (Start, Run, type in CMD and click OK.

Change directory to the directory storing the 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to
hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 file.

Ensure that there are no other files in the folder with the same beginning
as listed below as the command should delete all files beginning with 01 in
the folder.  If there are other files copy them off first to another
directory.

Type this exactly.  del 01*.* and press the enter key.  Do a directory
listing (dir and enter) to see if the file is still there.  If gone reboot
and see if it stays gone.

Let us know if this works.

0
LVTravel
1/19/2010 11:39:30 PM
On Jan 19, 4:39=A0pm, "LVTravel" <n...@nothere.com> wrote:
> "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> > I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> > I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > its directories:
>
> > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> > it. =A0Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> > It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> > I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. =A0Here are
> > just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> > I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> > delete that. =A0It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> > entry has magically reappeared. =A0Obviously it was never deleted in th=
> > first place.
>
> > My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> > just an entry in the MFT.
>
> > I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> > tia.
>
> > jc
>
> May work but also may not. =A0Try this:
>
> Start the command prompt. (Start, Run, type in CMD and click OK.
>
> Change directory to the directory storing the 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound=
> hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 file.
>
> Ensure that there are no other files in the folder with the same beginnin=
> as listed below as the command should delete all files beginning with 01 =
in
> the folder. =A0If there are other files copy them off first to another
> directory.
>
> Type this exactly. =A0del 01*.* and press the enter key. =A0Do a director=
> listing (dir and enter) to see if the file is still there. =A0If gone reb=
oot
> and see if it stays gone.
>
> Let us know if this works.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already tried that but at your
suggestion I tried it again.  Still no luck.

tnx again.

jc
0
jc
1/20/2010 2:10:05 AM
There is a free program named 'Unlocker" which deletes anything.

On Jan 19, 4:39 pm, "LVTravel" <n...@nothere.com> wrote:
> "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> > I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> > I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > its directories:
>
> > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> > it. Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> > It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> > I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. Here are
> > just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> > I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> > delete that. It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> > entry has magically reappeared. Obviously it was never deleted in the
> > first place.
>
> > My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> > just an entry in the MFT.
>
> > I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> > tia.
>
> > jc
>
> May work but also may not. Try this:
>
> Start the command prompt. (Start, Run, type in CMD and click OK.
>
> Change directory to the directory storing the 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound
> hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 file.
>
> Ensure that there are no other files in the folder with the same beginning
> as listed below as the command should delete all files beginning with 01
> in
> the folder. If there are other files copy them off first to another
> directory.
>
> Type this exactly. del 01*.* and press the enter key. Do a directory
> listing (dir and enter) to see if the file is still there. If gone reboot
> and see if it stays gone.
>
> Let us know if this works.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already tried that but at your
suggestion I tried it again.  Still no luck.

tnx again.

jc

0
joe
1/20/2010 5:19:24 AM
On Jan 19, 10:19=A0pm, "joe" <j...@ebox.com> wrote:
> There is a free program named 'Unlocker" which deletes anything.
>
> "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> On Jan 19, 4:39 pm, "LVTravel" <n...@nothere.com> wrote:
>

> > "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> > > I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> > > I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> > > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > > its directories:
>
> > > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> > > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> > > it. Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> > > It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> > > I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. Here are
> > > just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> > > I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> > > delete that. It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> > > entry has magically reappeared. Obviously it was never deleted in the
> > > first place.
>
> > > My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> > > just an entry in the MFT.
>
> > > I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> > > tia.
>
> > > jc
>
> > May work but also may not. Try this:
>
> > Start the command prompt. (Start, Run, type in CMD and click OK.
>
> > Change directory to the directory storing the 01 - O 'twas a joyful sou=
nd
> > hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 file.
>
> > Ensure that there are no other files in the folder with the same beginn=
ing
> > as listed below as the command should delete all files beginning with 0=
1
> > in
> > the folder. If there are other files copy them off first to another
> > directory.
>
> > Type this exactly. del 01*.* and press the enter key. Do a directory
> > listing (dir and enter) to see if the file is still there. If gone rebo=
ot
> > and see if it stays gone.
>
> > Let us know if this works.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. =A0I had already tried that but at your
> suggestion I tried it again. =A0Still no luck.
>
> tnx again.
>
> jc

I tried unlocker.  A message popped up saying: "The object was
deleted."   But the file is still there.  The message also said there
was no locking handle, which  should mean there isn't another file
trying to use it.

Also, I need to remind those trying to help that the filename has a
forward slash mark in it, causing Windows to think it's part of a
path.  The more I play with this, the more I'm starting to think there
is no path and no file.  In other words, there's nothing there except
a "path/filename" entry some place.

tnx for the advice.
0
jc
1/20/2010 5:47:22 AM
On Jan 19, 10:47=A0pm, jc <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 10:19=A0pm, "joe" <j...@ebox.com> wrote:
>

> > There is a free program named 'Unlocker" which deletes anything.
>
> > "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

..
> > On Jan 19, 4:39 pm, "LVTravel" <n...@nothere.com> wrote:
>
> > > "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> > > May work but also may not. Try this:
>
> > > Start the command prompt. (Start, Run, type in CMD and click OK.
>
> > > Change directory to the directory storing the 01 - O 'twas a joyful s=
ound
> > > hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 file.
>
> > > Ensure that there are no other files in the folder with the same begi=
nning
> > > as listed below as the command should delete all files beginning with=
 01
> > > in
> > > the folder. If there are other files copy them off first to another
> > > directory.
>
> > > Type this exactly. del 01*.* and press the enter key. Do a directory
> > > listing (dir and enter) to see if the file is still there. If gone re=
boot
> > > and see if it stays gone.
>
> > > Let us know if this works.
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion. =A0I had already tried that but at your
> > suggestion I tried it again. =A0Still no luck.
>
> > tnx again.
>
> > jc
>
> I tried unlocker. =A0A message popped up saying: "The object was
> deleted." =A0 But the file is still there. =A0The message also said there
> was no locking handle, which =A0should mean there isn't another file
> trying to use it.
>
> Also, I need to remind those trying to help that the filename has a
> forward slash mark in it, causing Windows to think it's part of a
> path. =A0The more I play with this, the more I'm starting to think there
> is no path and no file. =A0In other words, there's nothing there except
> a "path/filename" entry some place.
>
> tnx for the advice.

Have also discovered that when I look at the File Properties box,
there's only a General Tab.  There's no Summary tab and the file size
is 0.

Also, there is no Created date, no Modified date, and no Accessed
date.

That's why I believe there's not really a file there. Just a listing
of a name whenever I type DIR.  That's also why it can't be erased.
There's nothing to erase.
0
jc
1/20/2010 6:28:56 AM
"jc" <jcgroups.10.nexis@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> its directories:
>
> 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
> just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted in the
> first place.
>
> My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> just an entry in the MFT.
>
> I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> tia.
>
> jc

  Have you tried booting to Safe Mode and deleting the file there?

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Brian
1/20/2010 8:07:24 AM
On Jan 20, 1:28=A0am, jc <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 10:47=A0pm, jc <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 19, 10:19=A0pm, "joe" <j...@ebox.com> wrote:
>
> > > There is a free program named 'Unlocker" which deletes anything.
>
> > > "jc" <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote in message

> > > Thanks for the suggestion. =A0I had already tried that but at your
> > > suggestion I tried it again. =A0Still no luck.
>
> > > tnx again.
>
> > > jc
>
> > I tried unlocker. =A0A message popped up saying: "The object was
> > deleted." =A0 But the file is still there. =A0The message also said the=
re
> > was no locking handle, which =A0should mean there isn't another file
> > trying to use it.
>
> > Also, I need to remind those trying to help that the filename has a
> > forward slash mark in it, causing Windows to think it's part of a
> > path. =A0The more I play with this, the more I'm starting to think ther=
> > is no path and no file. =A0In other words, there's nothing there except
> > a "path/filename" entry some place.
>
> > tnx for the advice.
>
> Have also discovered that when I look at the File Properties box,
> there's only a General Tab. =A0There's no Summary tab and the file size
> is 0.
>
> Also, there is no Created date, no Modified date, and no Accessed
> date.
>
> That's why I believe there's not really a file there. Just a listing
> of a name whenever I type DIR. =A0That's also why it can't be erased.
> There's nothing to erase.

Give this a whirl:

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/
0
Jose
1/20/2010 12:30:24 PM
On Jan 20, 5:30=A0am, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 1:28=A0am, jc <jcgroups.10.ne...@spamgourmet.org> wrote:

> > > I tried unlocker. =A0A message popped up saying: "The object was
> > > deleted." =A0 But the file is still there. =A0The message also said t=
here
> > > was no locking handle, which =A0should mean there isn't another file
> > > trying to use it.
>
> > > Also, I need to remind those trying to help that the filename has a
> > > forward slash mark in it, causing Windows to think it's part of a
> > > path. =A0The more I play with this, the more I'm starting to think th=
ere
> > > is no path and no file. =A0In other words, there's nothing there exce=
pt
> > > a "path/filename" entry some place.
>
> > > tnx for the advice.
>
> > Have also discovered that when I look at the File Properties box,
> > there's only a General Tab. =A0There's no Summary tab and the file size
> > is 0.
>
> > Also, there is no Created date, no Modified date, and no Accessed
> > date.
>
> > That's why I believe there's not really a file there. Just a listing
> > of a name whenever I type DIR. =A0That's also why it can't be erased.
> > There's nothing to erase.
>
> Give this a whirl:
>
> http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/

I tried deleting while in safe mode.  I also tried DelinvFile, as per
the previous poster.  No joy!

I had hopes with DelinvFile  because it claims it can delete files
with a slash mark (/) in the name, which is the whole problem with
what I'm experiencing.  But when it tried to delete the file, Windows
popped up an error message that said there is no file.  Also,
DelinvFile there was a problem with the name and that delete/rename
functions might not work.

So once again, I'm left with thinking this is just an entry in the
MFT.  I could be wrong, obviously, but I'm grasping at straws.

tnx for the advice.
0
jc
1/20/2010 5:29:40 PM
jc wrote:
> On Jan 20, 5:30 am, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Have also discovered that when I look at the File Properties box,
>>> there's only a General Tab.  There's no Summary tab and the file size
>>> is 0.
>>> Also, there is no Created date, no Modified date, and no Accessed
>>> date.
>>> That's why I believe there's not really a file there. Just a listing
>>> of a name whenever I type DIR.  That's also why it can't be erased.
>>> There's nothing to erase.
>> Give this a whirl:
>>
>> http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/
>
> I tried deleting while in safe mode.  I also tried DelinvFile, as per
> the previous poster.  No joy!
>
> I had hopes with DelinvFile  because it claims it can delete files
> with a slash mark (/) in the name, which is the whole problem with
> what I'm experiencing.  But when it tried to delete the file, Windows
> popped up an error message that said there is no file.  Also,
> DelinvFile there was a problem with the name and that delete/rename
> functions might not work.
>
> So once again, I'm left with thinking this is just an entry in the
> MFT.  I could be wrong, obviously, but I'm grasping at straws.

Did you run a chkdsk on the drive?

The file could also have trailing spaces, did you try grabbing the file
from Windows Explorer and dropping it at the command prompt command?

Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:

del \\?\

Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command.

If the folder is empty safe for this file you can also try deleting the
folder:

rd /s \\?\

John
0
John
1/20/2010 6:12:01 PM
On Jan 20, 11:12=A0am, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
> jc wrote:

> >> Give this a whirl:
>
> >>http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/
>
> > I tried deleting while in safe mode. =A0I also tried DelinvFile, as per
> > the previous poster. =A0No joy!
>
> > I had hopes with DelinvFile =A0because it claims it can delete files
> > with a slash mark (/) in the name, which is the whole problem with
> > what I'm experiencing. =A0But when it tried to delete the file, Windows
> > popped up an error message that said there is no file. =A0Also,
> > DelinvFile there was a problem with the name and that delete/rename
> > functions might not work.
>
> > So once again, I'm left with thinking this is just an entry in the
> > MFT. =A0I could be wrong, obviously, but I'm grasping at straws.
>
> Did you run a chkdsk on the drive?
>
> The file could also have trailing spaces, did you try grabbing the file
> from Windows Explorer and dropping it at the command prompt command?
>
> Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:
>
> del \\?\
>
> Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
> the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command.
>
> If the folder is empty safe for this file you can also try deleting the
> folder:
>
> rd /s \\?\
>
> John

Tnx.  I tried both of those.  No luck.

Everything I try returns the following error message:  "The system
cannot find the path specified."

My thoughts are that the forward slash mark in the name is causing
Windows to check a path, but the path doesn't exist.  Neither does the
file. It looks like nothing exists except the name in the MFT.  I've
tried using mkdir to create a path then used an editor to create a
zero-length filename that matches this bogus file. Windows is all too
happy to do this for me.  But erasing those two once created had no
affect.

Thanks for the tip.

0
jc
1/20/2010 10:16:43 PM
jc wrote:
> On Jan 20, 11:12 am, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> jc wrote:
>>> I tried deleting while in safe mode.  I also tried DelinvFile, as per
>>> the previous poster.  No joy!
>>> I had hopes with DelinvFile  because it claims it can delete files
>>> with a slash mark (/) in the name, which is the whole problem with
>>> what I'm experiencing.  But when it tried to delete the file, Windows
>>> popped up an error message that said there is no file.  Also,
>>> DelinvFile there was a problem with the name and that delete/rename
>>> functions might not work.
>>> So once again, I'm left with thinking this is just an entry in the
>>> MFT.  I could be wrong, obviously, but I'm grasping at straws.
>> Did you run a chkdsk on the drive?
>>
>> The file could also have trailing spaces, did you try grabbing the file
>> from Windows Explorer and dropping it at the command prompt command?
>>
>> Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:
>>
>> del \\?\
>>
>> Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
>> the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command.
>>
>> If the folder is empty safe for this file you can also try deleting the
>> folder:
>>
>> rd /s \\?\
>>
>> John
>
> Tnx.  I tried both of those.  No luck.
>
> Everything I try returns the following error message:  "The system
> cannot find the path specified."
>
> My thoughts are that the forward slash mark in the name is causing
> Windows to check a path, but the path doesn't exist.  Neither does the
> file. It looks like nothing exists except the name in the MFT.  I've
> tried using mkdir to create a path then used an editor to create a
> zero-length filename that matches this bogus file. Windows is all too
> happy to do this for me.  But erasing those two once created had no
> affect.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

This is a music file?  Can your music player open it?  If yes try to
have it delete it.  Or the application that created the file should be
able to delete it.  You didn't mention if you ran a chkdsk on the drive.

John
0
John
1/20/2010 10:38:47 PM
On Jan 20, 3:38=A0pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
> jc wrote:
> >> Did you run a chkdsk on the drive?
>
> >> The file could also have trailing spaces, did you try grabbing the fil=
> >> from Windows Explorer and dropping it at the command prompt command?
>
> >> Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:
>
> >> del \\?\
>
> >> Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
> >> the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command.
>
> >> If the folder is empty safe for this file you can also try deleting th=
> >> folder:
>
> >> rd /s \\?\
>
> >> John
>
> > Tnx. =A0I tried both of those. =A0No luck.
>
> > Everything I try returns the following error message: =A0"The system
> > cannot find the path specified."
>
> > My thoughts are that the forward slash mark in the name is causing
> > Windows to check a path, but the path doesn't exist. =A0Neither does th=
> > file. It looks like nothing exists except the name in the MFT. =A0I've
> > tried using mkdir to create a path then used an editor to create a
> > zero-length filename that matches this bogus file. Windows is all too
> > happy to do this for me. =A0But erasing those two once created had no
> > affect.
>
> > Thanks for the tip.
>
> This is a music file? =A0Can your music player open it? =A0If yes try to
> have it delete it. =A0Or the application that created the file should be
> able to delete it. =A0You didn't mention if you ran a chkdsk on the drive=
..

> John

I tried chkdsk /f.  Nothing unusual.  As far as being a music file, it
is zero-length so it has no contents.  However, having said that, let
me add that had everything gone right when this object was created, it
would have been a music file.  My guess as to what happened was that I
mistyped the name of the song in my CD ripper program (and Windows
allowed it) and put a slash mark instead of a period as well as typed
"MQ3" instead of MP3.  This actually happened so long ago that I can't
remember precisely what happened. I only noticed just the other day
that my fat fingers had created a problem.

Anyway, I tried having Foobar2000 open it.  Got the following error
message:  "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file
format)."

Also, I opened my CD ripper program (CDex 151) but could find no way
to open files.  Apparently, it only plays back what it has just ripped
or is about to rip.

Did I mention that the object has no properties, e.g., date created,
modified, accessed?  Makes me wonder if it ever go to the actual
creation stage.  Maybe Windows tried to create it, couldn't, and so
just left us with a name in the MFT.  Is there a program that allows
me to remove this from the MFT?  I just on the Internet read that any
file < 1k is stored entirely in the MFT.  Don't know how accurate that
is.  But if it is, then I'm more convinced than ever that no file
actually exists on the drive and so, there's nothing to delete but a
name in the table.  But Windows won't allow erasing it because Windows
tries to follow the path, which doesn't exist.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  And thank you for your patience
with my situation.

jc

0
jc
1/21/2010 12:28:26 AM
jc wrote:
> On Jan 20, 3:38 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> jc wrote:
>>> Tnx.  I tried both of those.  No luck.
>>> Everything I try returns the following error message:  "The system
>>> cannot find the path specified."
>>> My thoughts are that the forward slash mark in the name is causing
>>> Windows to check a path, but the path doesn't exist.  Neither does the
>>> file. It looks like nothing exists except the name in the MFT.  I've
>>> tried using mkdir to create a path then used an editor to create a
>>> zero-length filename that matches this bogus file. Windows is all too
>>> happy to do this for me.  But erasing those two once created had no
>>> affect.
>>> Thanks for the tip.
>> This is a music file?  Can your music player open it?  If yes try to
>> have it delete it.  Or the application that created the file should be
>> able to delete it.  You didn't mention if you ran a chkdsk on the drive.
>>
>> John
>
> I tried chkdsk /f.  Nothing unusual.  As far as being a music file, it
> is zero-length so it has no contents.  However, having said that, let
> me add that had everything gone right when this object was created, it
> would have been a music file.  My guess as to what happened was that I
> mistyped the name of the song in my CD ripper program (and Windows
> allowed it) and put a slash mark instead of a period as well as typed
> "MQ3" instead of MP3.  This actually happened so long ago that I can't
> remember precisely what happened. I only noticed just the other day
> that my fat fingers had created a problem.
>
> Anyway, I tried having Foobar2000 open it.  Got the following error
> message:  "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file
> format)."
>
> Also, I opened my CD ripper program (CDex 151) but could find no way
> to open files.  Apparently, it only plays back what it has just ripped
> or is about to rip.
>
> Did I mention that the object has no properties, e.g., date created,
> modified, accessed?  Makes me wonder if it ever go to the actual
> creation stage.  Maybe Windows tried to create it, couldn't, and so
> just left us with a name in the MFT.  Is there a program that allows
> me to remove this from the MFT?  I just on the Internet read that any
> file < 1k is stored entirely in the MFT.  Don't know how accurate that
> is.  But if it is, then I'm more convinced than ever that no file
> actually exists on the drive and so, there's nothing to delete but a
> name in the table.  But Windows won't allow erasing it because Windows
> tries to follow the path, which doesn't exist.
>
> Thanks again for your suggestions.  And thank you for your patience
> with my situation.

Has anyone suggested that you right-click the filename, click Rename,
and change the name?

--
Joe   =o)
0
jc wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> its directories:
>
> 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
> just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted in the
> first place.
>
> My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> just an entry in the MFT.
>
> I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> tia.
>
> jc

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1> Try this first:

I had the same problem using NTFS under NT4 ages ago and got rid of the
bad entry using an old DOS file navigator from PC magazine called
'DIRMAGIC.COM'.

Get it here:

http://burntelectrons.org/img/dm-challenge/dm.zip

No guarantees but worth a try. It should run in a DOS box
(%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe)  under XP (or in Start/Run if you list
the entire path and file name) and *hopefully* latch onto the short file
name in the MFT to delete the entry. By the way, it runs very-very
slowly(?) on my XP system but it does work.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2> If no joy then you might try this:

It may be that the file name needs to be surrounded in quotes to get rid
of it. One way to do this is to open a DOS box
(%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe)  and navigate to the directory where the
offending file is located.  Something like this:

C:

If located on C: drive else whatever drive the file is on, then:

cd  \xxx\yyy\

Where \xxx\ is the top level directory and \yyy\ is a sub-directory (if
any) and etc. until you are in the directory where the file is located.
If it turns out that the file is actually a directory name (see the
second batch file below) then you must be one level above the offending
directory name.

Write a text file that lists all file and sub-directory names thus:

dir/b   *.*   >tmp.txt

dir = directory listing (normally to the screen)
/b = bare to list file and sub-directory names only
*.* = include all files and sub-directory names
 >tmp.txt  = redirect screen output to a an ascii text file

Open tmp.txt with a text editor (Notepad for example) and delete every
line *except* the offending file name. Do not in any way alter the file
name itself except as noted below. If there are too many lines to delete
you could high-light the offending name and select copy but be sure you
high-light the entire line including trailing spaces if any. Close then
restart the editor and select paste.

With the cursor on the file name press the <End> key on your keyboard.
This will place the cursor at the end of the line and include any
trailing spaces that might be at the end of the file name.

*Append* a closing quote to the end of the line:

"

Press the <Home> key on your keyboard to go to the beginning of the line
and *insert* the following into the beginning of the line:

del  "

Be sure you haven't added/deleted anything to the file name which is now
in quotes.

Resave the file as a batch file,   a.bat   for example in the directory
where the offending file is located.

Go to Windows Explorer (file manager), navigate to and double click the
batch file to run it.

Do a refresh in Explorer (View/Refresh) and see if the file name is
still listed.

If it is, reload the batch file into the text editor and try changing
del   to   rmdir    to remove a directory.

Resave the batch file one level above where the offending directory is
located and try again.

If nothing else this should at least confirm that the file system (MFT)
is where the problem lies.

Good luck,
John

0
John
1/21/2010 2:52:20 PM
On Jan 21, 7:52=A0am, John <J...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> jc wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> > I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > its directories:
>
> > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> > it. =A0Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> > It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> > I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. =A0Here are
> > just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> > I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> > delete that. =A0It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> > entry has magically reappeared. =A0Obviously it was never deleted in th=
> > first place.
>
> > My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> > just an entry in the MFT.
>
> > I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> > tia.
>
> > jc
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////=
// //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> 1> Try this first:
>
> I had the same problem using NTFS under NT4 ages ago and got rid of the
> bad entry using an old DOS file navigator from PC magazine called
> 'DIRMAGIC.COM'.
>
> Get it here:
>
> http://burntelectrons.org/img/dm-challenge/dm.zip
>
> No guarantees but worth a try. It should run in a DOS box
> (%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe) =A0under XP (or in Start/Run if you list
> the entire path and file name) and *hopefully* latch onto the short file
> name in the MFT to delete the entry. By the way, it runs very-very
> slowly(?) on my XP system but it does work.
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////=
// /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> 2> If no joy then you might try this:
>
> It may be that the file name needs to be surrounded in quotes to get rid
> of it. One way to do this is to open a DOS box
> (%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe) =A0and navigate to the directory where th=
> offending file is located. =A0Something like this:
>
> C:
>
> If located on C: drive else whatever drive the file is on, then:
>
> cd =A0\xxx\yyy\
>
> Where \xxx\ is the top level directory and \yyy\ is a sub-directory (if
> any) and etc. until you are in the directory where the file is located.
> If it turns out that the file is actually a directory name (see the
> second batch file below) then you must be one level above the offending
> directory name.
>
> Write a text file that lists all file and sub-directory names thus:
>
> dir/b =A0 *.* =A0 >tmp.txt
>
> dir =3D directory listing (normally to the screen)
> /b =3D bare to list file and sub-directory names only
> *.* =3D include all files and sub-directory names
> =A0>tmp.txt =A0=3D redirect screen output to a an ascii text file
>
> Open tmp.txt with a text editor (Notepad for example) and delete every
> line *except* the offending file name. Do not in any way alter the file
> name itself except as noted below. If there are too many lines to delete
> you could high-light the offending name and select copy but be sure you
> high-light the entire line including trailing spaces if any. Close then
> restart the editor and select paste.
>
> With the cursor on the file name press the <End> key on your keyboard.
> This will place the cursor at the end of the line and include any
> trailing spaces that might be at the end of the file name.
>
> *Append* a closing quote to the end of the line:
>
> "
>
> Press the <Home> key on your keyboard to go to the beginning of the line
> and *insert* the following into the beginning of the line:
>
> del =A0"
>
> Be sure you haven't added/deleted anything to the file name which is now
> in quotes.
>
> Resave the file as a batch file, =A0 a.bat =A0 for example in the directo=
ry
> where the offending file is located.
>
> Go to Windows Explorer (file manager), navigate to and double click the
> batch file to run it.
>
> Do a refresh in Explorer (View/Refresh) and see if the file name is
> still listed.
>
> If it is, reload the batch file into the text editor and try changing
> del =A0 to =A0 rmdir =A0 =A0to remove a directory.
>
> Resave the batch file one level above where the offending directory is
> located and try again.
>
> If nothing else this should at least confirm that the file system (MFT)
> is where the problem lies.
>
> Good luck,
> John

To the poster who asked whether I had right-clicked and tried to
rename or delete: I tried that.  It didn't work.

I was very excited about the suggestion to use dm.com.  I should have
thought of using something that only knew short names.  Alas!  I tried
it and it didn't work.  It was interesting to note, however, that the
object did NOT show up in the list of files displayed by dm.

As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well.  I had
already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
commands.  Nothing has worked so far.

I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
was no way I could fail to follow them.  I should add, however, that
I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
structure.  What was that, 2 or something?  That's why I could kick
myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
names.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on
future suggestions.

Tnx again for all the advice.

jc
0
jc
1/21/2010 9:19:53 PM
jc wrote:
> [...]
> it and it didn't work.  It was interesting to note, however, that the
> object did NOT show up in the list of files displayed by dm.
>
> As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well.  I had
> already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
> commands.  Nothing has worked so far.
>
> I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
> me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
> Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
> was no way I could fail to follow them.  I should add, however, that
> I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
> structure.  What was that, 2 or something?  That's why I could kick
> myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
> names.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on

Sorry it didn't work for you.
John
0
John
1/22/2010 1:52:43 PM
jc wrote:
> [...]
> it and it didn't work.  It was interesting to note, however, that the
> object did NOT show up in the list of files displayed by dm.
>
> As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well.  I had
> already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
> commands.  Nothing has worked so far.
>
> I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
> me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
> Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
> was no way I could fail to follow them.  I should add, however, that
> I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
> structure.  What was that, 2 or something?  That's why I could kick
> myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
> names.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on

Just checking to see if you are still working on this or see if you
found a fix.

Do you have a Windows 2000 machine?

John
0
John
1/23/2010 6:18:40 AM
jc wrote:

> I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> its directories:
>
> 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> It has a file length of 0 bytes.

Try killing Explorer.exe before deleting the file using a bypass for
reserved-words and or characters.

1. Write down the path and filename of the undeletable file.

2. Open a command prompt window. (Start > Run > cmd.exe)

3. Open the Task Manager. (Start > Run > taskmgr.exe)

4. In the Task Manager, find the process called "Explorer" and end the
process for explorer. (This will make the desktop and taskbar disappear)

5. Close the Task Manager.

6. In the command prompt window, type:

del /a /f "\\?\path\filename"

So if the file is called abc.jpg located in c:\pictures then the
command would look like:

del /a /f "\\?\c:\pictures\abc.jpg"

7. To regain your desktop and taskbar, type the following in the
command prompt window:

explorer.exe

--
William Crawford
0
On Jan 22, 11:18=A0pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
> jc wrote:
> >> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////=
///// //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> >> 1> Try this first:
>
> >> I had the same problem using NTFS under NT4 ages ago and got rid of th=
> >> bad entry using an old DOS file navigator from PC magazine called
> >> 'DIRMAGIC.COM'.
>
> >> Get it here:
>
> >>http://burntelectrons.org/img/dm-challenge/dm.zip
>
> >> No guarantees but worth a try. It should run in a DOS box
> >> (%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe) =A0under XP (or in Start/Run if you li=
st
> >> the entire path and file name) and *hopefully* latch onto the short fi=
le
> >> name in the MFT to delete the entry. By the way, it runs very-very
> >> slowly(?) on my XP system but it does work.
>
> >> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////=
///// /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> [...]
>
> > As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well. =A0I had
> > already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
> > commands. =A0Nothing has worked so far.
>
> > I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
> > me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
> > Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
> > was no way I could fail to follow them. =A0I should add, however, that
> > I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
> > structure. =A0What was that, 2 or something? =A0That's why I could kick
> > myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
> > names. =A0Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on
> > future suggestions.
>
> > Tnx again for all the advice.
>
> Just checking to see if you are still working on this or see if you

John,

I no longer have a Win2k machine.  The one I'm having problems with is
XP with service pack 3.

As for still working on it...it's definitely a challenge so I'm still
working on it.  It's an easy fix with formatting. All the contents are
on a backup drive. So that won't be a problem.  But I'm convinced
there has to be a way to defeat this hiccup.

tnx again.

jc
0
jc
1/24/2010 7:49:57 AM
On Jan 23, 1:34=A0am, "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> jc wrote:
>
> > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > its directories:
>
> > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> > it. =A0Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> > It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> Try killing Explorer.exe before deleting the file using a bypass for
> reserved-words and or characters.
>
> 1. Write down the path and filename of the undeletable file.
>
> 2. Open a command prompt window. (Start > Run > cmd.exe)
>
> 3. Open the Task Manager. (Start > Run > taskmgr.exe)
>
> 4. In the Task Manager, find the process called "Explorer" and end the
> process for explorer. (This will make the desktop and taskbar disappear)
>
> 5. Close the Task Manager.
>
> 6. In the command prompt window, type:
>
> del /a /f "\\?\path\filename"
>
> So if the file is called abc.jpg located in c:\pictures then the
> command would look like:
>
> del /a /f "\\?\c:\pictures\abc.jpg"
>
> 7. To regain your desktop and taskbar, type the following in the
> command prompt window:
>
> explorer.exe
>
> --
> William Crawford

Thanks, William, for your suggestion.

I tried your suggestion, following your instructions to a T (except
that I put everything into batch file).  However, when I executed the
batch file, I had no success in deleting the object.  The same error
message came up about not being able to find the "path," this despite
the fact that explorer.exe was out of the picture.

tnx again,

jc
0
jc
1/24/2010 7:54:08 AM
jc wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
>
> I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> its directories:
>
> 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
>
> Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete
> it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified."
> It has a file length of 0 bytes.
>
> I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
> just two of the many things I've tried:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
>
> I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot, the
> entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted in the
> first place.
>
> My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive but
> just an entry in the MFT.
>
> I could sure use some help to remove this.
>
> tia.
>
> jc

Have you tried third party file managers?  A google search on 'XP file
managers' turned up quite a few choices.

John
0
John
1/24/2010 2:01:25 PM
--Sig_/lXORgRVKXD3IYZS+ihih.MA

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:01:25 -0500
John John <John@nowhere.com> articulated:

> jc wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help.
> > I have XP Home with Service Pack 3.
> >
> > I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of
> > its directories:
> >
> > 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3
> >
> > Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't
> > delete it.  Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be
> > specified." It has a file length of 0 bytes.
> >
> > I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works.  Here are
> > just two of the many things I've tried:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315226/
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
> >
> > I've also tried to create a directory/file with the same name, then
> > delete that.  It actually DOES remove it, but then when I reboot,
> > the entry has magically reappeared.  Obviously it was never deleted
> > in the first place.
> >
> > My guess is that there's really no file or directory on the drive
> > but just an entry in the MFT.
> >
> > I could sure use some help to remove this.
> >
> > tia.
> >
> > jc
>=20
>=20
> Have you tried third party file managers?  A google search on 'XP
> file managers' turned up quite a few choices.

Perhaps starting up in 'Safe Mode' and then attempting to delete the
file might prove worthwhile. Then again, have you tried to open the
file and then save and delete it?

--=20
Carmel	|::::=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
	|::::=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
	|=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
	|=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--Sig_/lXORgRVKXD3IYZS+ihih.MA

--Sig_/lXORgRVKXD3IYZS+ihih.MA--

0
Carmel
1/24/2010 2:17:24 PM
jc wrote:
> On Jan 22, 11:18 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> jc wrote:
>>> To the poster who asked whether I had right-clicked and tried to
>>> rename or delete: I tried that.  It didn't work.
>>> I was very excited about the suggestion to use dm.com.  I should have
>>> thought of using something that only knew short names.  Alas!  I tried
>>> it and it didn't work.  It was interesting to note, however, that the
>>> object did NOT show up in the list of files displayed by dm.
>>> As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well.  I had
>>> already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
>>> commands.  Nothing has worked so far.
>>> I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
>>> me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
>>> Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
>>> was no way I could fail to follow them.  I should add, however, that
>>> I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
>>> structure.  What was that, 2 or something?  That's why I could kick
>>> myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
>>> names.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on
>>> future suggestions.
>>> Tnx again for all the advice.
>> Just checking to see if you are still working on this or see if you
>> found a fix.
>>
>> Do you have a Windows 2000 machine?
>>
>> John
>
> John,
>
> I no longer have a Win2k machine.  The one I'm having problems with is
> XP with service pack 3.
>
> As for still working on it...it's definitely a challenge so I'm still
> working on it.  It's an easy fix with formatting. All the contents are
> on a backup drive. So that won't be a problem.  But I'm convinced
> there has to be a way to defeat this hiccup.

If you had a Windows 2000 box (or an NT4 box) you could have tried to
run the Posix Rm.exe utility to delete the file on a mapped network drive.

Windows 2000 is Posix compliant, Windows XP isn't.  You can download the
hefty Windows Services for Unix and it will install the Posix subsystem
on Windows XP but even then the Rm.exe command might not work as
expected, if at all, it runs better from a Windows 2000/NT4 machine.

John
0
John
1/24/2010 5:37:48 PM
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:19:53 -0800 (PST), jc
<jcgroups.10.nexis@spamgourmet.org> wrote:

>To the poster who asked whether I had right-clicked and tried to
>rename or delete: I tried that.  It didn't work.
>
>I was very excited about the suggestion to use dm.com.  I should have
>thought of using something that only knew short names.  Alas!  I tried
>it and it didn't work.  It was interesting to note, however, that the
>object did NOT show up in the list of files displayed by dm.
>
>As for the batch file suggestion, thanks for that one as well.  I had
>already created several batch files that contained various del and rd
>commands.  Nothing has worked so far.
>
>I should also mention that I appreciate the tips everyone is giving
>me, including the step by step method of implementing those tips.
>Thank you, John, for giving me such elaborate instructions that there
>was no way I could fail to follow them.  I should add, however, that
>I've been working with DOS since just after it gained hierarchy
>structure.  What was that, 2 or something?  That's why I could kick
>myself for not thinking of using something that only recognized short
>names.  Anyway, I thought I'd pass that on to save you some typing on
>future suggestions.

If you move all the other files in the directory to some other
directory, can you back out one level and delete the entire directory
with any of the tools that have been suggested so far?

--
Remove del for email
0

link .pub files
I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes. I now want to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this! Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import that into a new .pub file. But that does not deal with the pictures, which all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position. there MUST be a better way! Or is it another problem with Publisher, like the inabi...

How to lock and unlock the XP system from remote system.
Hi I am writting a program to lock and unlock the remote desptop.For this I need some help related to sending Ctrl+Alt+Del to the remote PC.Can any one help me on the issue. Regards Prashant Sharma Yes. Find something else to do with your time. You keep trying to do something that any decent security system forbids. There is already remote access. See if you can find APIs relating to remote access. But I suspect that you will discover that Windows security is going to make this task impossible. joe On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:19:31 +0530, "ISDC" <satish7684@hotmail.com&...

where to write temporary files?
hello experts, I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files when the program is running. I need a piece of advice regarding the best place to put them: - Windows\temp directory - User directory - Program directory - ?? Needless to say, the directory must exist and the user must have the appropriate permissions. What are the good practices regarding this question ? Thanks Phil On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:43:18 -0700 (PDT), Phil <pbruyant@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello experts, >I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files >when >the pr...

How to impersonate to Local System Account (SYSTEM)
My service is configurated as the Administrators acount. I need to impersonate the service to Local System Account (SYSTEM) in some circumtances. How? Thanks very very much indeed lauch ...

how to specify column width in column graph?
I'm creating a column graph which columns I need to represent a certain value. In other words, the column should be representative of its inputs, both in terms of width and height. For example, one column's width should be representative of 150,000 and its height should be representative of 6.42. If anyone has done this, please advise. Thanks. You could look at: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Brickyard.html http://andypope.info/charts/colwidth2.htm Hope this helps. Regards, Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS&#...

working with temporary working files.. #2
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help Right-click the file, properties, see if "read only" is checked. This happens when a file is saved to a CD. Save the file on your hard drive and then copy it to the CD. Publisher does not like saving to removable media. Delete all the temporary (.tmp) files that are located in the Windows\Temp folder. For information about how to delete files, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type deleting files, and then click Display. --...

Search and copy files. Look up destination folder in a range
I need help in doing this: I have an excel worsheet that have columns for destination folder and corresponding file to search for. The files to be search for will have wild cards e.g *total*.*. What I want to do is create a macro that will search for call values in a range, copy the result of the search to the corresponding destination folder for example column A(files to search for) column(Destination folder) column c (source always c:\documents) *total*.* total_cost c:\documents *accounts*.* ...

Error opening File
I keep getting the message "Publisher cannot open files from a different version". I am running PUB'98 and assume that the files are in '97 format but cannot find a way to open them or import them. If I try selecting file from the Pub browser then it can preview the object but I still cannot open it. Please help someone as this is getting damn frustrating! Thanks What makes you "assume" the files are Pub 97? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jim hooper" <JH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ceb01c47f26$b2636640$...

Integration with legacy systems
Hello there. 've seen there is an integration between Microsoft CRM and MS Great Plains. I need to do a similar integration beetween Microsoft CRM and a local System ERP named Diapason. The customer shoul be created by MS CRM. passed to the ERP. Updated tin the ERP and then updated automatically in the MS CRM. Order born in CRM. When approved, tehy should send to the ERP. The ERP create the invoice and send the invoice to MS CRM. Price list is managed by the ERP, imported in MS CRM and when updated in ERO, should be updated automatically in CRM. Customer are updated in ERP and shou...

excel causing system to be in low system resource
Hi all. Whenever i open my excel application, i am always prompted low system resource and have to exit the application. However all my other office applications like word, access work fine when i open them. I face similar problems before and i reinstall excel to solve the problem. Is there a better solution which can solve this problem once and for all? Thks in advance ...

overriding the print button and File/Print
Hello: I have a model that I want to override the ability to print only one page. The model has 3 pages and the first page needs to be printed first always before any of the others. Can a macro be written that attaches to the model that only allows printing from a custom print macro? Or, something that when the user hits the toolbar print button (or File...Print...) the model always prints the first page too? Yes - use this Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub Put this in the module attached to this workbook in the VBE and it disables printing from th...

Customizing File Dialog
Hi all: I am trying to customize the file dialog. To do this, I have learned, you provide a template that contains only the additional controls that you want. By default, these controls appear below the normal file dialog controls, which is what I want. However, when the Places bar is present, it extends only to the bottom of the original controls, and my controls span the full width of the dialog, which is not what I want. Does anybody know how to fix this? I am actually using VC6, but I have previously customized the normal file dialog to show the Places bar on OS's that permit...

Trust access to visual basic project in XP systems
we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . Because of the this i think vb exe which is try to run excel macro are failing. can any one hlep me. This is a setting that each user must change. So I think you'll have to educate the users to change this setting before your VB program can run. kasi wrote: > > we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not > have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . > Because of the this i...

Sig file "could not be located."
I created a new sig file (actually to get rid of Active-X controls), and I selected this sig for both new messages and for replies and forwards. When I create a new message, it works fine; but when I reply to a message, I get an error that the named sig could not be located, and it gets removed from my "Signature for new messages" setting. (That gets switched to "<None>", but my "Signature for replies and forwards" setting is unchanged). I have tried both renaming and copying the sig file to other named files and switching both settings to the new file nam...

can all the dowloads ihave in the system can they be moved
Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have errors with them Where would you like to take them? Buckingham Palace? "steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk" <steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:208855E4-BD3F-4C3D-A817-C0DC8CB6BCF9@microsoft.com... : Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have : errors with them Windows version is...? If you want to delete what you see in Update History, I can tell you how to do that. steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk wrote: > I...

Help Importing Text File!
Hello, I am new to excel and could really use some help. I have a plain tex file that I would like to import into Excel --but the problem is th text was copied from a webpage and there is no delimited formatting (extra spaces, lines etc.) i.e. I want to create a book database with this info. But the followin was copied like this: Author Name Location Books Writen Publisher I would need to somehow put each line into a column. This is a hug text file formatted like the example above. Could this be done possibl by using a macro? If anyone could help me out (or if you need more info) please ...

Sending jpg files
I installed sp2 a few days ago and had some problems so I uninstalled it. Since then, when I send pictures to someone they are not received as jpg files. They lack the jpg extension. If I manually add the extension in the pictures "properties" before sending it, it arrives with the extension .jpg[1] and still does not open properly. Any ideas on how to have this go out and arive as jpg files? Many thanks. DId you find out what the problem is cause i am having th esame trouble "James" wrote: > I installed sp2 a few days ago and had some problems so I &g...

Total Communications System & MS CRM 3.0
To Anyone: I am trying to find a complete "converged communications" system that has complete integration with MS CRM 3.0 as well as an open API that I can further integrate into my business applications. I am finding a lot of sales pitches but no hard facts and confirmed installs. Can anyone point me ? Anthony DeHart try www.genesyslabs.com ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D009397A-044A-482E-97F8-D2BADC9A6A15@microsoft.co...

Is my file corrupted?
We moved from an Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 file (we work on Office 2007 and were having compatibility issues). The file size doubled and some things became very slow. Pasting things took 5-10 seconds per cell. Pasting rows would cause the document to not respond and it'd have to be shut down. Is the file corrupt? What would cause this? One thing I would recommend to do is that once you open your (old) excel spreadsheet and click on " save as" and make sure to save it as a new office excel(new office 2007 format). Then make changes and see if the problem still pers...

[cont'd] can't open a retrieved Money file nor its backup
Hi Cal, I haven't heard back from you, so I'm just sending my last question again, below. [I messed up the order of the posts because I sent 2 replies to one of your posts!] mjl ~~~~~ Hi Cal, I don't have a Flash drive, but I tried opening it from my FireLite external harddrive (also has FAT files), but it acted the same way and gave me the same message. When I tried to restore the backup from the Firelite, it also acted as before and failed. I'm so discouraged..... Maryellen -- lewisma9 ...

File system
Hi I am havimg some problem in booting WindowCE 4.2 . The bootup failed in filesystem 1. can anyone help me how to debug the error or where area in windowce I should zoom into for susch problem The ouput of error message is given below FMD::FMD_Init FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c233c78 RA=8c233c00 BVA=04000000 FSR=00000007 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c2169d8 RA=8c216a38 BVA=04000019 FSR=00000003 D...

Import txt file
Hi all, How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns. (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated. Billy Hi you can't in Excel. You have to split the data at least in two worksheets -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Billy Leung wrote: > Hi all, > > How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns. > (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated. > > > Billy Thanks, Frank, But, how can I split the text file in the first place? Billy ***********************************...

using access as a content management system for documents
Hello got a question for you all, I am using access to create a content management solution. initially it seems pretty easy i would create a table for each type of document template. and the fields in the table would be the different sections within the template. the data in the fields would be the content this goes with those specific sections in the document. basically i would have a report that puts all the fields together in the correct order and export that to a word document. here is my problem.. some of my data includes bullet points Bold letter and different colors.. is there anyw...

2 gb pst file
i am desktop support for 5000 users, those pst files drive me nut, pst files keep corrupt it. i use scanpst.exe scan the pst files sometimes it work someimes it does not work, do you have better program to fix this on going problem. what is the limit size for pst files. 2GB for Outlook 97-2002 files. "Unlimited" for Outlook 2003 files When a pst-file reaches the 2GB you'll need to crop it with this tool; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=B33B1DFF-6F50-411D-BBDF-82019DDA602E -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com ...

Excel opened a file but did not show it's contents
Hi all, One of my colleagues tried to open an Excel file. Excel opened the file (no error was shown up) but it didn't show the contents of the file. If you have 2 files originally opened in Excel, Excel only shown those 2 file windows in it. The newly opened one disappeared. Have anyone of you came across this before? Any ideas to fix the problem are welcome. TIA el Does this mean you looked under the Window option on the menubar and didn't see all the workbooks that you think you opened? If you could see the name, maybe it's just off the visible screen: Window|Arrange|ti...