The memory could not be "read".

I'm at work yesterday afternoon responding to e-mail on my desktop, and
Adobe pops up from the toolbar with a notice that there is an update
available for Acrobat. I accept the download, keep plugging away at my
e-mail, and install it when it's done. It runs through the install,
tells me that I should restart, but I ignore it and keep working. It's
near the end of the day and I'm going to be going home soon anyways. I
forgot to turn it off when I left.  Came in this morning, restarted it
through the Start menu, and rebooted.  Upon reaching the "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
login screen for the network...

Error.

'The instruction at 0x01beb54d referenced memory at 0x0259100. The
memory could not be "read".'

So I click debug.  System shuts down. I reboot, it comes up again with
the same line. I log in anyways, I have connection to the work servers,
so I open Outlook read a few e-mails and connect to mail server just
fine.  I attempt to open an Excel file. It's a large file as Excel files
go. Many pages, and sorted drop down lists.  It opens, but doesn't
finish loading.  I try to open Firefox to see what I can find about how
to fix this memory error, because I assume that it's messing with my
Excel. Firefox doesn't load. In fact, when I check the processes in my
task manager, Firefox isn't even there. I got to uninstall the update on
Acrobat. It says that I am "Unable to uninstall" so I uninstalled all of
Acrobat. Reboot, same problem.

This is turning into a novel, so I'll keep it brief from here.

- I searched the memory error for that specific address at another
terminal, no results.
- I did hardware tests on the RAM. (Pull one of two banks, boot, same
error, swap banks, boot, same error, on to the next slot, repeat). No
change.
- I blew the dust out, pulled my CMOS (wait 10 minutes replace), redid
my BIOS config. Boot. Same error at login.

Does anyone know where I can go from here? I'm at a loss.

--
Redwork
Redwork's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/211842.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Redwork

There has been an error reading or writing the file
I am using Money 2005 and when I try and create a report for Account Transactions I get the error message mentioned above. MS article 281865 confirms this problem and asks that the report be customized. My problem is that Money shuts down without giving me a chance to customize the report. Please help ...

Disabling read receipts to the Internet
Hi, I would like to know if I can block the read receipts sent from my organization to the Internet. I'm using Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook 2000. Connecting to the Internet, I've a W2K based SMTP gateway. Thank you in advance for your help. ...

Please take a moment to Read
Hi all, i dont know what those guys who post scams, spams, advertisments, porno sites, and sites with dead people, think these groups are. but wait a minute, those groups are for "computer science" use here are some very serious respectful professionals, students, users..... it is not a gossip site, neither a place to post bullsh**. so please act as adults and stop this behavior, if you want to advertise, there are plenty of sites you may use, or even you can open a group of your own, or maybe you are so incapable of doing a job by your own, so you go to the ready 'bread' pl...

reading between the lines?
I regularly plot x-y graphs of a spring's force vs height. Height is X; force is Y. This data is acquired somewhat arbitrarily--I never really know what exact x values will end up in my table. So when I want to compare two springs at any specific height, I have to either guesstimate based on the chart or find values that match close enough. I have also written specific FORECAST functions to find the comparison points between two real data points. But geez that takes too long! How can I take multiple x-y tables with any ol' values in x, and (what's the word?) normalize...

Newsgroup Message Read/Unread Issue
I using Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 64-bit. For some reason, even though I mark a newsgroup post, reply or even a thread as read, the next time that I open WLM, many, not all of the posts are shown as unread. For instance, in this newsgroup, the task bar currently shows a total of 616 messages, 135 unread, and 4,542 not downloaded. Less than 30 minutes ago, I marked all of my downloaded messages read, not 135 show up as unread. Something isn't right. I mark messages as read a couple of ways. 1. Messages are automatically marked as read 3 seconds after I view them. ...

Web Client marking messages read
Need help with Blackberry web client marking messages read when it copies messages from Web mail. I just brought up about 15 blackberry 7230s using T-Mobile as a carrier. We are using Exchange 5.5 and have web mail setup. I am getting the mail messages to go to blackberry devices, but the messages are being marked as read in Exchange/Outlook. Basically, when the users are sitting at their desks their messages are being marked as read even though they haven't read the messages. I saw some kind of fix for Exchange 2000, does anyone know if there is anything I can do other than...

Cannot update. Database or object is read-only
I'm lost with this one. I have a form that opens with the results of a select query between two tables. Actually a sub-query - but that is not the problem, that works fine. The object of the form is for the user to select records from the query that need to be elevated to another team of users to take action on. The form was working, but now I am getting the above error message when I select the "Submit" button on the form. Here is the code: Private Sub SubmitCMRequest_Click() If Len([EntryDatetxt] & "") = 0 Then MsgBox "You must select a Date...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...

test post do not read #2
test psst. I read it. Paul B wrote: > > test -- Dave Peterson ec35720@netscape.com I didn't -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscape.com> wrote in message news:418979BC.2DF52A69@netscape.com... > psst. I read it. > > Paul B wrote: > > > > test > > -- > > Dave Peterson > ec35720@netscape.com ...

Read Receipts #5
Does anyone know how Read Receipts get sent to email originators even though their read receipt service is NOT activated? Even more interesting is that the read receipts are ONLY generated when one particular individual reads their emails, even though the email is sent to a distribution list. For example, email is sent to a distribution list that contains over 12 email addresses. When the email is read by this particular person in the distribution list, the originator receives a receipt, but only for that particular person. No other read receipts is generated from the other mem...

Reading in a file
I'd like to slurp in a file by: 1. Obtain the filesize 2. Allocate a buffer via malloc (this is vanilla C) 3. Read the file into the newly allocated space. Here's what I did (error checking suppressed): size_t getFileSize( char *filename ) { int fd = open(filename, O_RDONLY)) == -1) struct stat fstat; stat(filename, &fstat); close(fd); return fstat.st_size; } // Get the file length xmlfile->length = getFileSize("test.xml"); // Allocate the space (+1 for a \0 at the end. see below.) xmlfile->data =...

read XML and add to it with XMLTextReader / XMLTextWriter
I'm having quite a problem here, I need to take an XML file, read it and write it out using XMLTextWriter to a differet file as it reads. After it's done reading, it will add some stuff to the end. I want to use xmltextreader/xmltextwriter because it's better with memory than XMLDocument. here's what I have, maybe someone out there will help me out: //copy source to a temp spot. File.Copy("old.txt", "tmp.txt", true); XmlTextReader xds = new XmlTextReader("tmp.txt"); //actual XML File setup... xmlwrite = new XmlTextWriter(&qu...

CWinThread and Memory Leaks.
I want to have a simple progress bar displayed whilst my MFC application is doing a lengthy operation. To do this, I am creating a user interface thread which displays a dialog containing a progress bar control. This is implemented using two classes: class CProgressDlg : public CDialog class CProgressThread : public CWinThread The CProgressThread class has a member variable: CProgressDlg m_Dlg; At the start of the lengthy operation I create a new instance of CProgressThread, and set the m_bAutoDelete member TRUE before calling CProgressThread::CreateThread(); In CProgressThread::InitInst...

Command button reading a cell
Hello, I have a command button that will populate in the worksheet call "Data" in column A2 and up to 30 or more rows depending upon the workbook "Dept_Sch001 second row will be "Dept_Sch002 and so on.. I like to prevent the user to press the command button a second time. What I want to have is if column A2 already contains the prefix "Dept_" an error message will appear saying column A2 already have the prefix "Dept_". and stop. I just want to prevent the user pressing the command button a second time and not have my coding populating A2 and ...

i cannot clear"read only" from CD-RW disc
I am using Excel on Windows XP Home Edition, putting info onto a CD-RW Disc. I have been able add info up till now, but now for whatever reason it wll not save new info. I get a "read only" message. I have tried to clear the "read only" status through File, Properties, General and Clear but it will not hold Luigi wrote: > I am using Excel on Windows XP Home Edition, putting info onto a CD-RW Disc. > I have been able add info up till now, but now for whatever reason it wll not > save new info. I get a "read only" message. I have tried to clear the &q...

File read/write
How can I read bytes of dll? Code for reading dll bytes should be located in the dll (dll that would be read). How can I get dll (path) location? I've posted this question here yesterday, but today I can't find it. Thank you. You can use GetModuleFileNameEx to get its path. Reading it is just like reading any binary files. Open it as read only binary file. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Oliver Young" <none> wrote in message news:OcAfe731DHA.2888@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... | | How can I read bytes of dll? Code for reading dll bytes should ...

outlook to read russian
when I receive emails containing some Russian characters, I can read them on my blackberry but in outlook it all gobligoo!! What should I do to enable Outlook to read this language. Thanks ...

reading old mail
i need to read both old and new mail from outlook web access is there any way to do this? Outlook Web Access shows you everything in your Exchange mailbox. If you'd downloaded it via POP to another client, or used a PST file for delivery, you can't see it in OWA. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > i need to read both old and new mail from outlook web > access is there any way to do this? Where is the "old" email stored? If not in the mailbox or mailbox folders, then it will be unavailable for viewing. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all repli...

Read only tasks
When I attempt to complete tasks that are displayed through the Outlook reminders, I get the following message "This task is read-only in Microsoft CRM". Information on Microsoft's website suggest that I should disable Cache Exchange Mode. I did this and restarted Outlook but I get the same error. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks in advanced for your help ...

Recommended way to post/read messages on this message board
I'm using Microsoft's Discussion Groups page to read or post messages on this board. Please excuse my naivete... is this a newsgroup/usenet message group? Is the Microsoft Discussion Groups page a good way to read/post messages? I used to be able to click "Notify me of replies" and get an email when a reply was posted. But somehow that doesn't work any longer. Does anyone know why? Also, what's the best way to look for messages that I have posted? Thanks. Use a newsreader - even if it's just Outlook Express or Windows Mail. http://support....

Reading excel files take too long
Reading excel files normally opened in a few seconds. Recently it is taking over a minute. Does anyone have any suggestions why. Hi Al! Here's a post from "Doug" in the misc newsgroup: Quote>> If you have Norton there overnight update has caused some problems. This is what I have found and posted elsewhere.. Just got through to Norton, as I thought they are now aware of this problem (where not on my first call this morning). The situation can be temporarily rectified by opening up your internet browser. Going to tools/options/advanced then scroll down to security and ...

memory instruction reference can't be read
Hi, Compiler:Visual C++ 6.0 In debug configuration, I can build the project and run it without error. But in release configuration, I can build the project and run it. When I click one button, the compiler shows: "The instruction at "0x004022ff" referenced memory at "0x00000030". The memory could not be read." What shall I do to solve this problem? Thank you. > Hi, > Compiler:Visual C++ 6.0 > In debug configuration, I can build the project and run it without error. > But in release configuration, I can build the project and run it. > When I cl...

Does anyone from Microsoft read this forum?
And if not, is there a different forum we should all be using? Looking at posts from recent days/weeks, most have not received a reply/post, let alone a resolution to their problems. This forum is therefore not working! -- Polevaulter This is a user-to-user forum hosted by Microsoft . Any answers you see are from other users that are trying to help the poster with a problem - not answers from Microsoft. "Polevaulter" <Polevaulter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21C7F9C9-A535-4170-AE57-678EC4132D82@microsoft.com... > And if not, is there a ...

read only CheckBox
I am wondering how to disable user's input on a CheckBox, that is to say, to create a read only CheckBox. And is it possible to change CheckBox's color to gray(RGB(192,192,192))? Thanks William In article <#6tVqleWFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, port@mx15.freecom.ne.jp says... > I am wondering how to disable user's input on a CheckBox, that is to say, to > create a read only CheckBox. And is it possible to change CheckBox's color > to gray(RGB(192,192,192))? your_checkbox.EnableWindow(FALSE); When you disable the window, it'll automatically turn grey (...

Read-only
Hi, Can I send read-only emails by using Outlook. It cannot be edittable and impossible to forwrd after receiving. Marc wrote: > Can I send read-only emails by using Outlook. It cannot be edittable > and impossible to forwrd after receiving. Nope. Not your property once it is off your host. Not under your control once off your host. Would you want someone controlling your host via e-mail? If they can see it then they can do whatever they want with it. You would need to use a secure mail tool such as Windows Rights Management or one of the others listed her...