Task manager Processes stay running

I have a question about programs staying in the Task Manager Processes after
they have been closed out.

I know that I can right click and end processes manually and have as few
running as possible during startup via MSCONFIG.

The scenario I'm referring to is for example:  I open Internet Explorer,
surf the web, & close out via the X.  The iexplore.exe keeps running (not
using CPU resources just memory) after it has been closed out.  The same
thing happens when I used Kodak Easy Share.  Does anyone know how to stop the
programs when they have been closed out?   Some programs are completely
removed from the Task Manager Processes when I end them and others are not.
Is this a registry setup item?

Thanks in advance.
--
Jim

I believe you are a bit confused. When you start Internet Explorer it is
loaded into memory. Merely stopping it does NOT
unload it from memory.
"Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a question about programs staying in the Task Manager Processes
>after
> they have been closed out.
>
> I know that I can right click and end processes manually and have as few
> running as possible during startup via MSCONFIG.
>
> The scenario I'm referring to is for example:  I open Internet Explorer,
> surf the web, & close out via the X.  The iexplore.exe keeps running (not
> using CPU resources just memory) after it has been closed out.  The same
> thing happens when I used Kodak Easy Share.  Does anyone know how to stop
> the
> programs when they have been closed out?   Some programs are completely
> removed from the Task Manager Processes when I end them and others are
> not.
> Is this a registry setup item?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Jim

0
Unknown
7/1/2010 4:27:57 PM
"Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a question about programs staying in the Task Manager Processes
> after
> they have been closed out.
>
> I know that I can right click and end processes manually and have as few
> running as possible during startup via MSCONFIG.
>
> The scenario I'm referring to is for example:  I open Internet Explorer,
> surf the web, & close out via the X.  The iexplore.exe keeps running (not
> using CPU resources just memory) after it has been closed out.  The same
> thing happens when I used Kodak Easy Share.  Does anyone know how to stop
> the
> programs when they have been closed out?   Some programs are completely
> removed from the Task Manager Processes when I end them and others are
> not.
> Is this a registry setup item?

IE promptly disappears from task manager here when I close it ...

Maybe there is an IE addon staying active and connected after IE is closed
... might it even be easyshare? It probably works in the background connected
to Kodak .. there might be a setting in easyshare to stop that behaviour.

First thing to try is open IE without addons .. and see how that works ..I
suspect it will behave correctly by disappearing from task manager when you
close IE.

Look through your IE addons and disable or remove them.

 .. or even go nuclear :)) .. reset IE back to default everything: Tools>
Internet options > Advanced > Reset > apply > OK

0
123Jim
7/1/2010 5:49:14 PM
Processes or applications?????????
"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> "Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a question about programs staying in the Task Manager Processes
>> after
>> they have been closed out.
>>
>> I know that I can right click and end processes manually and have as few
>> running as possible during startup via MSCONFIG.
>>
>> The scenario I'm referring to is for example:  I open Internet Explorer,
>> surf the web, & close out via the X.  The iexplore.exe keeps running (not
>> using CPU resources just memory) after it has been closed out.  The same
>> thing happens when I used Kodak Easy Share.  Does anyone know how to stop
>> the
>> programs when they have been closed out?   Some programs are completely
>> removed from the Task Manager Processes when I end them and others are
>> not.
>> Is this a registry setup item?
>>

> IE promptly disappears from task manager here when I close it ...
>
> Maybe there is an IE addon staying active and connected after IE is closed
> .. might it even be easyshare? It probably works in the background
> connected to Kodak .. there might be a setting in easyshare to stop that
> behaviour.
>
> First thing to try is open IE without addons .. and see how that works ..I
> suspect it will behave correctly by disappearing from task manager when
> you close IE.
>
> Look through your IE addons and disable or remove them.
>
> .. or even go nuclear :)) .. reset IE back to default everything: Tools>
> Internet options > Advanced > Reset > apply > OK

0
Unknown
7/1/2010 6:49:50 PM
"Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
> Processes or applications?????????

iexplore.exe in processes ..  Internet explorer in Applications.

0
123Jim
7/1/2010 6:59:46 PM
You are correct, they both disappear.

> "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> Processes or applications?????????
>
> iexplore.exe in processes ..  Internet explorer in Applications.

0
Unknown
7/1/2010 7:08:20 PM
Unknown and 123Jim,
The iexplore is not in Applications.  It's in processes.  It cannot be
Easyshare.  Easyshare and IE do not play well together.  I have to shut down
Easyshare in the processes tab so IE works correctly.  There are other
programs that do this to that is why I would like to figure out why some
close out completely and others do not.
--
Jim

> Unknown and 123Jim,
> The iexplore is not in Applications.  It's in processes.  It cannot be
> Easyshare.  Easyshare and IE do not play well together.  I have to shut
> down
> Easyshare in the processes tab so IE works correctly.  There are other
> programs that do this to that is why I would like to figure out why some
> close out completely and others do not.
> --
> Jim

There are a probably a numberof programs that when you close them do not
dissapear from task manager for legitimate reasons .. they are busy .( this
is what Unknown was hinting at I think). for example I often find Firefox
busy cleaning up before it disappears in task manager .. I have too many
addons .. at least one of which does some cleaning after I close Firefox. It
does not stay busy for long enough to be a problem.

I wonder if your computer is generally slow .. that would increase the time
it takes for programs to leave task manager.

0
123Jim
7/2/2010 3:43:34 PM
123Jim,
The processes stay until I reboot or manualy end them.  Some do some don't
that's why I was thinking it was a registry setup.  I don't hardly know
anything about the registry, except that it enables you to turn on or turn
off various settings of a program.
--
Jim

"123Jim" wrote:

> "Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Unknown and 123Jim,
> > The iexplore is not in Applications.  It's in processes.  It cannot be
> > Easyshare.  Easyshare and IE do not play well together.  I have to shut
> > down
> > Easyshare in the processes tab so IE works correctly.  There are other
> > programs that do this to that is why I would like to figure out why some
> > close out completely and others do not.
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> There are a probably a numberof programs that when you close them do not
> dissapear from task manager for legitimate reasons .. they are busy .( this
> is what Unknown was hinting at I think). for example I often find Firefox
> busy cleaning up before it disappears in task manager .. I have too many
> addons .. at least one of which does some cleaning after I close Firefox. It
> does not stay busy for long enough to be a problem.
>
> I wonder if your computer is generally slow .. that would increase the time
> it takes for programs to leave task manager.
>

> .

It is not a registry setting. The memory cannot be released which would
allow it to be cleared in processes
until no other program has any hook on it.
> 123Jim,
> The processes stay until I reboot or manualy end them.  Some do some don't
> that's why I was thinking it was a registry setup.  I don't hardly know
> anything about the registry, except that it enables you to turn on or turn
> off various settings of a program.
> --
> Jim
>

> "123Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Unknown and 123Jim,
>> > The iexplore is not in Applications.  It's in processes.  It cannot be
>> > Easyshare.  Easyshare and IE do not play well together.  I have to shut
>> > down
>> > Easyshare in the processes tab so IE works correctly.  There are other
>> > programs that do this to that is why I would like to figure out why
>> > some
>> > close out completely and others do not.
>> > --
>> > Jim
>> >

>> There are a probably a numberof programs that when you close them do not
>> dissapear from task manager for legitimate reasons .. they are busy .(
>> this
>> is what Unknown was hinting at I think). for example I often find Firefox
>> busy cleaning up before it disappears in task manager .. I have too many
>> addons .. at least one of which does some cleaning after I close Firefox.
>> It
>> does not stay busy for long enough to be a problem.
>>
>> I wonder if your computer is generally slow .. that would increase the
>> time
>> it takes for programs to leave task manager.
>>

>> .

0
Unknown
7/2/2010 7:16:48 PM
"Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 123Jim,
> The processes stay until I reboot or manualy end them.  Some do some don't
> that's why I was thinking it was a registry setup.  I don't hardly know
> anything about the registry, except that it enables you to turn on or turn
> off various settings of a program.
> --
> Jim
>

> "123Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Reddzz" <Reddzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Unknown and 123Jim,
>> > The iexplore is not in Applications.  It's in processes.  It cannot be
>> > Easyshare.  Easyshare and IE do not play well together.  I have to shut
>> > down
>> > Easyshare in the processes tab so IE works correctly.  There are other
>> > programs that do this to that is why I would like to figure out why
>> > some
>> > close out completely and others do not.
>> > --

You are correct about settings in the registry but the programs themselves
should have options to stop this behaviour. For example MSN messenger's
default setting is to stay active in the background, but it provides options
to shut it down completely. (messenger is also started again by other
programs, but that's another story).

As for IE I think it is most likely that an addon is keeping it active.

Easy share probably is programmed to stay active after you shut it down ..
look to it's options/preferences if there are any. ( I also wonder if
Easyshare is keeping IE from shutting down completely)

0
123Jim

OWA Calendar changes not processed...
Have users using OWA who cannot make changes to Public Calendars in Exchange 2000. Users are able to make changes with Outlook Corporate Client with no problems. This condition exists for both internal and external OWA users. Have followed advice of KB article 832196 to no avail. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here. Try posting this in an Exchange news group as OWA is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my per...

Calendar and Tasks
Morning All, Is it possible to have the tasks show up on the calendar? Scott V No. Only beside it. you can drag a task to the calendar if you need to assign a time to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "Scott Viney" <scott@kar...

Outlook Task Failure
Hi Whenever I try to assign a task in Outlook 2002 I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameters are not valid" Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks ...... Craig *** Problem Description *** Action (A): When trying to save a task item there is an error. Result (R): Could not complete the operation, one or more parameters are not valid Cause (C): Corruption to the tasks folder. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><...

Data Migration Manager for CRM 4.0
I have just successfully installed CRM 4.0 and life is good. My next mission was to install the data migration manager and attempt my first data migration from another system. I was able to get the tool installed, but immediately ran into the error: The Data Migration Manager encountered an error while setting up the temporary migration database. After reading the readme file, I deleted the UserReplicationID from the registry as it advised. I restarted the Data Migration Manager and still get the same message. Does anyone have any insight into what other factors might contribute to ...

Concatenate Tasks With Summary Tasks in Reports
I think I have found in other posts but I want to ask directly just in case someone else has other info... Can MSP concatenate each task in a report with its summary tasks? Without this, I don't know what part of the project each task pertains to. (Example, does "Buy space" pertain to the April or May set of tasks?) If I add a breadcrumb to each task in the entry view, not only is this time consuming but I also can't read the entry view as well as before. This limitation severly cuts down on the usefulness of the reports for me. In article <FFB3AE7E-881E...

Problems running Duplicate Detection in CRM 4.0 in web interface
When I click on Workplace -> Duplicate Detection, I receive the following error: "Error: An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organizations's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support." Duplicate detection is enabled and there are several duplication rules that have also been created. Those rules also can be published without error. In researching this error, the only thing I can find that has been suggested is that there i...

CRM Task question
Hi, I have a question regarding CRM task and Outlook Task on CRM v1.2, here is the scenario: "User A uses "CRM Task" on Outlook Sales Client to create a task and assign to User B User B updates the task on Outlook only and reply (or assign) back to User A Will the updated task (from the Outlook side) be the same updated task on the CRM if we don't use Online or Offline feature?" Because what happen is my user (user A) showed me an error message stating that there is an error synchronized task (from Outlook) to CRM task. She didn't use synch...

HOWTO CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding?
How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the intensive task, but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... Thanks On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:28:59 GMT, "michele" <mandelbort@oggiweb.com> wrote: >How to make a CPU intensive task without make GUI not responding? >For example, i want to show the user a progress animation during the >intensive task, >but this animation is blocked until the task has finished... >Thanks > Run the task in a low priority thread. ...

Sharing Tasks in the 2007 versions of Project and Outlook
Hi, I would like to export and work on my Project 07 tasks in Outlook 07. I am aware of how I can export them but this does not keep the link with Project. Could anyone tell me if there is a way of doing this in Microsoft or if there is an add-in I could purchase. Thanks Caz This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D7_01CAB3DB.7FC83F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Caz, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) You might like to see Companion Products an...

Task Scheduler error
A long time ago I scheduled a task to load up a certain utility at 7 am. However, I've just realized it never gets loaded. I went into Task Scheduler to see what's going on, and as it opened I get this error: "An error has occured for task Reminders - owner. Error message: the specified account name is not valid" I'm looking at my task and I see that "When running a task, use the following user account" is set to "RICK \owner". I'm not sure how to check if that's a valid account name. I don't log on to my computer wi...

Requisition Management
I've run into a situation many times where a user creates a purchase requisition (BP 3.0) and submits to the next approver. Then I am notified that the user no longer reports to that person and that PR needs to be re-routed to their new boss. At that point, I go in Requsition Management Approval Hierarchies and place the user under their new manager. Is there anything that can be done in order for the existing PR to be routed to the new approver? I find that Req Management has very little flexibility when it comes to changes like this. As an administrator, I feel I should be a...

Integration Manager
We just upgraded from Dynamics GP 7.5 to 9 and from Integration Manager 6.5 to 6.7. In uploading a journal entry, 2 of our employees in one location are getting error messages, but when I do the same upload with the same files, the upload goes through with no problems. The error they are getting is: "Field 'Entries.Account Number' does not have a default value". The upload rejects the first two journal entries in the batch with this error and then takes the other journals with no problems. This has happened on several different journal batches. We all are accessing GP...

HOW TO CALCULATE RUNNING TOTAL
i WORK WHERE WE DO CAR RENTALS AND THE PROBLEM IS THAT i WANT THE KILOMETERES TO BE COUNTED. i HAVE THE KM WHEN THE CLIENT LEAVED ( A ) WHEN HE COMES BACK ( B) BUT i CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET (C) TO AUTOMATICALLY CALCULATE THE KM DRIVEN. I HAVE TRIED TO READ THE FORUMS BUT MAYBE MY LITTLE MIND CANÈT GRASP IT. ANY HELP? THANKS IN ADVANCE.... Let's say the Km-start value is in cell C1 and the Km-return value is in Cell D1. The in cell E1 type =D1-C1 to get the difference If you have columns of data you can copy this formula down the column by dragging the fill-handle (the solid...

task pane correction
To make the task pane go away I went under Help - Microsoft Excel Help- See Also - then clicked on - Online Content Settings and unchecked- Show Template help automatically when available. -- Diane @ SPSCA ...

Updating tasks with VBA script
I've built a scheduling tool which uses Access to create the tasks. Once the tasks are generated, they're sent to Outlook. My problem is the tasks are grouped in categories and if a due date is changed it needs to move all the following tasks by x number of days. (My keyfield ie- 57-41, then 57-42, etc. is stored in the contacts field) I had planned to first pull the data back to Access to see what dates changed. Off of that data, I'd delete the following tasks and reinsert them with the modified dates. I would prefer to do this in Outlook but do not know the Outlook object mod...

WSUS Cleanup Wizard is running 12 hrs now...
The server had WSUS 2.0 which was never used. The database file is 5.7GB I upgraded to WSUS 3.0 and then ran the cleanup wizard to try to shrink the db file. It's been 12 hours now. I am wondering how many more hours i should expect? Thanks j~ In task manager is it still running or does it give an error any errors in event log? Russ -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist 24hr SBS Remote Support - www.SBITS.Biz Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com Free Trial Microsoft Online...

Trapping the close message when sent from the task bar button
Hi, I am using a application that uses a Tray Icon. I need to make it behave like MSN Messenger. I am almost there and one of my remaining problem is that I can't see how to trap the "close application" message that is sent when the user right clicks on the task bar and chooses "Close", I need to hide my window in the case and I only want to be able to close my application by right clicking on the tray icon and choose "Exit" Thanks a lot! Simon ...

Completed Tasks in Task View
In the Task view window, I have the tasks sorted by Category and all of the tasks in each category are sorted by due date, even the completed tasks. However, I don't want the completed tasks to show in this screen. How can I hide them? Thanks, Terry B. Create a filter for that view with the criteria "Complete equals no" -- you can do this on the Advanced tab of the Filter dialog. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:06960...

Manager crashes after feature pack install
I've installed the feature pack service pack and so far it looks pretty good. There's lots of good info in the purchase order module that would have required multiple reports to be viewed before. The problem we're having is that when multiple workstations are using the purchase order in manager it crashes with an error referring to temporary tables already open (TEMPORDER1). Anyone else with similar issues? This is an issue many people have reported. Microsoft is aware of the problem but as of yet, does not have any resolution in place. Thank you, Ryan Sakry...

_xlfn.IFERROR = #NAME? in Advanced Name Manager
I keep getting a "formula can't calculate" error in one of my workbooks. The only problem is every formula is calculating correctly. When using Advanced Name Manager, I'm able to see a named range that looks like _xlfn.IFERROR with a value of = #NAME? It's not visible with Excel's native name manager. A little research turned up this article: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102045691033.aspx which states if you will get this error when using 2007 formulas in older version BUT, I'm using 2007. I'm at a loss on how to go about tackling this prob...

Assigning Task to Queue or User
I have an issue with Assigning a task to a queue or another user. If the task is created in Sales for Outlook (SFO), the queue option is not available in the drop down list in the lookup table. The only option is the user. A reboot of the workstation seems to fix this, but man is this silly or what? The user is attempting this: Create a task for an order and assign the task to the receiving queue (all from within SFO). The queue does not show up to seach from in the Lookup Records Web Page Dialog. The weird part is that even if you go to CRM Web Client on the same machine, the qu...

Workflow generated task and changed owner
We are using a workflow to inform administration staff about a new generated order. That works fine and the task will be generated for the right CRM user. But, if we change the owner of that related order also the task previously generated by the workflow will be re-assigned to that nre owner. With CRM 3.0 it was working fine (left the task unchanged). With CRM 4.0 the task owner will be changed unexpected. The first thougt which comes to me is that it might have something to do with "Type of behaviour". Open the task entity and double click on N:1 relationship name Acco...

Tasks with reminders
Hi, I want to make a Request Task for my collegues and have a reminder pop up on their Win2000 pc�s once a week. We use Outlook 2000 Can anyone tell me how to do this? Much Obliged Michael ...

Excel 2002 Task Pane
The task pane is no longer on the view menu. I still can access usin alt+F+N. It does appear at startup. Does anyone know how to restore it to the view menu ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried view>toolbars>customize>toolbars and reset? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "RP7073" <RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:RP7073.xihfn@excelforum-nospam.com... > > The task pane is no longer on the view m...

How can I import Excel Sheet(UPC Code) into Retail Management Sys.
I collect UPC codes from my venders. Most of them are Excel sheet. Is there any to import Excel sheet into Retail Management System? Yes there is an import utitily "bengoody" <bengoody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D33B9569-2D2E-4660-91F9-578A2A61589E@microsoft.com... >I collect UPC codes from my venders. Most of them are Excel sheet. Is there > any to import Excel sheet into Retail Management System? You can download the Import Utility from CustomerSource, or talk to your reseller. ...