System Restore unable to restore

My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
Restore it fails and I don't know why.

In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the
machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation.

When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date the
system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be
restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No reason
is given.  The system then operates as normal.

Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some of
the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
Files.

Please advise.

0
Roger

it could be a anti virus
program that is preventing
changes to the system.

however, one wonders
what other problems you
are experiencing that you
find a need to restore your
pc back to a functional time.

but something to keep in
mind is that if you are
experiencing the affects
of malware,

then the malware may have
been saved in the restore
point(s),

thus you may be inadvertently
reinstalling malware when you
execute a restore point.

in any case, you might try
executing a restore point
via safe mode.
--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid@clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message news:ho2vs7$68g$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
> valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No reason
> is given.  The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some of
> the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

0
db
3/20/2010 5:28:15 PM
Norton installed by any chance ???

--
Peter

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid@clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
> valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No reason
> is given.  The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some of
> the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

0
Peter
3/20/2010 6:27:45 PM

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid@clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned
> the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its
> operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
> valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date
> the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot
> be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No
> reason
> is given.  The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some
> of
> the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's what
you need to do to run it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

--
SC Tom

0
SC
> Norton installed by any chance ???

No.

Roger R

0
Roger
3/20/2010 8:30:07 PM
On Mar 20, 1:16=A0pm, "Roger R" <decoder.inva...@clara.invalid.co.uk>
wrote:
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned t=
he
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operati=
on.

> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restor=
> point date in bold. =A0 Selecting one of these, the dialogue =A0box repor=
ts a
> valid system check point for that day. =A0 Proceeding with a selected dat=
e the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot=
 be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made. =A0No r=
eason
> is given. =A0The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some =
of
> the necessary data. =A0 Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

If Symantec/Norton are installed, there can be an issue which was
hinted at by Peter and db, but there are no ideas to go along with the
hint.  This will generate needless additional message cycles before
you get to a solution.

What if you do have Norton - what does it mean and what do you do?
What if you don't?

If you have Norton installed, here is what Symantec recommends since
they are well enough aware of it to write a whole page about it:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

If Norton is not your problem, even Microsoft hints to attempt SR in
Safe Mode if the restoration is incomplete - as SC Tom indicates.
That may be quicker than trying to figure out what the problem really
is and fixing it.

Since SR is a popular target for malware and you may have some
condition that you think warrants a System Restore in the first place
instead of fixing the problem, you should run some reputable scanning
programs:

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Failing those possibilities, exactly what are you seeing for messages
indicating it did not work and why do you think it is necessary (after
the scans above).
0
Jose
3/20/2010 8:36:42 PM
"SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote in message
> As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
> firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
> well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's
> what you need to do to run it:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

As you say, my anti virus program is the likely cause of the problem, but as
I won't be ditching it, your suggestion to run  system restore from the
command prompt, together with the link to instructions, is most helpful.

Thanks.

Roger R

0
Roger
3/20/2010 8:44:09 PM
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.

Thanks to all who replied.

The view here is that an anti virus programe is the most likely cause of the
problem.

I don't have Norton, but do have AVG Free v9.

I checked out the AVG user forum where others have the same issue.

A forum contributor is unable to complete a System Restore with AVG
installed.
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=69653

The official response in the thread from AVG:
    "There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AVG is
    installed.
    08-03-10
    jirka82
    Manager at AVG"

So who is right ?

And just to repeat, there are no problems with my Win XP pro Sp3, but System
Restore is something I want to be able to use when needed, as it surely will
be one day.

Roger R

0
Roger
3/20/2010 10:17:35 PM
Roger R wrote:
>> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a
>> System Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>>

> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> The view here is that an anti virus programe is the most likely cause
> of the problem.
>
> I don't have Norton, but do have AVG Free v9.
>
> I checked out the AVG user forum where others have the same issue.
>
> A forum contributor is unable to complete a System Restore with AVG
> installed.
> http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=69653
>
> The official response in the thread from AVG:
>    "There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AVG
>    is installed.
>    08-03-10
>    jirka82
>    Manager at AVG"
>
> So who is right ?

Stated another way:

Is this causation or coincidence?

As I understand it, there is yet any evidence to indicate causation.
There is probably another reason. (I did say "probably." Sure, we might
eventually learn that the latest version of AVG or a specific update is
problematic.) Perhaps your system once had Norton (or McAfee), which was
never *completely* removed. Or maybe ZoneAlarm is installed. For further
information, see this page:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

> And just to repeat, there are no problems with my Win XP pro Sp3, but
> System Restore is something I want to be able to use when needed, as
> it surely will be one day.

The good news is that you now know how to run it in Safe Mode. :-)

System Restore can be useful, but there may come a time when it will be
totally useless (because of malware run amok). In that kind of
situation, restoring an image (from a pre-malware point in time!) of
your hard drive (created by a program like Acronis True Image or
DriveImageXML) is the preferred -- and perhaps only -- solution.

0
Daave
3/21/2010 1:11:01 AM

> "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote in message
>> As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
>> firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
>> well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's
>> what you need to do to run it:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>>

> As you say, my anti virus program is the likely cause of the problem, but
> as I won't be ditching it, your suggestion to run  system restore from the
> command prompt, together with the link to instructions, is most helpful.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roger R

You're welcome.
No, I wouldn't ditch your AV program either, but restoring by this method
bypasses it during the restore and doesn't connect to the internet or a
local network. Then, upon reboot, the AV program starts again as normal.
--
SC Tom

0
SC
3/21/2010 11:37:30 AM
On Mar 20, 6:17=A0pm, "Roger R" <decoder.inva...@clara.invalid.co.uk>
wrote:
> > My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> > Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> The view here is that an anti virus programe is the most likely cause of =
the
> problem.
>
> I don't have Norton, but do have AVG Free v9.
>
> I checked out the AVG user forum where others have the same issue.
>
> A forum contributor is unable to complete a System Restore with AVG
> installed.http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=3Dthread&act=3Ds=
how&id=3D69653

> The official response in the thread from AVG:
> =A0 =A0 "There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AV=
G is
> =A0 =A0 installed.
> =A0 =A0 08-03-10
> =A0 =A0 jirka82
> =A0 =A0 Manager at AVG"
>
> So who is right ?
>
> And just to repeat, there are no problems with my Win XP pro Sp3, but Sys=
tem
> Restore is something I want to be able to use when needed, as it surely w=
ill
> be one day.
>
> Roger R

I would not say that is the view here.  Those comments are from
experience.

AVG says "no known issue"?  They did not say there is no issue and
what they mean they have not seen any issue with SR on the systems in
their lab they use for testing.  It is a good safe response when there
"might" be a problem.  The chances of their test environment being
identical to a troubled system are probably not favorable.

You say there are no problems with your Win XP pro Sp3  -  would it be
better to say there are no known problems?

I think since even MS hints in their own documentation that Safe Mode
might be the ticket for SR not working in the manner you describe,
they must know something about it not working in Regular mode and they
don't know why either or it is too complicated.

SR is a popular target for malware and it could be broken in many ways
that have not been tested yet.  I would sure not rely on SR for
anything - ever.  If you are suspicious of it in any way, shape or
form and want to rely on it or it only works reliably in Safe Mode,
just reinstall SR - that always fixes it for me when I can get my
hands on a system like that.

I quit trying to figure it out and (and don't care if the known/
obvious things like Norton don't work), but I know how to fix it every
time.

0
Jose
3/21/2010 1:38:16 PM
Had the same problem. I found that I could restore in the safe mode. Are you
using Zone Alarm I once read that may be the cause.

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid@clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned
> the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its
> operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
> valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date
> the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot
> be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No
> reason
> is given.  The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some
> of
> the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

0
Roy

Restore of hyper-v VM's on DPM 2010
I have 2 DPM servers, both taking backup of standalone w2k8 hyper-v VM's: Server 1: DPM 2007 - when i set up protection groups of hyper-v VM's (w2k8 server host), it says "backup using saved state". Server 2: DPM 2010 (upgraded to eval from RC) - when i set up protection groups of hyper-v VM's (w2k8r2 server host), it says "backup using child partition snapshot". My problem is the following, on server 1 it's no problem recovering the VM on the same server as it's running on. But on server 2 i only get the option to recover the .vhd...

VBA Code Unable To Create Text File on C:\ Drive In Acc2007
I have a VBA Code that works in Acc2000 and Acc2003 on XP Pro OS Sp3. I was tesing the same code with Acc2007 with Win 7 Pro (64-bits). My Acc2003 has Sp3 and my Acc2007 has Sp2. This is the VBA Code that I used: Dim FullPath As String Dim QueryName As String Dim filename As Variant filename = Forms![Video Export]![Text22] FullPath = "c:\" & Trim(filename) & ".txt" AvidQueryName = "OutputToVideo" DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "Comma Delimited Spec 2007", _ QueryName, FullPath,...

Unable to Print Timesheets in BP
We recently installed BP, PDK and Great Plains. We are experiencing significant difficulty in printing the beautiful looking timesheet that displays when hitting the "Print" button in Business Portal. The timesheet data basically bleeds off of the right hand side of the page even on legal. Has anyone experienced the same issue? We are required to submit timesheets to our customers withour invoices. I wish these were formated with the weeks in two one week rows rather than one two week period all the way accross. And that it fit on letter sized paper! What we currently ...

Restore Mailbox for Comparison
I have exchange 2003 on win2k3 and have an employee who left the company. It is thought that emails were deleted from the mailbox. I tried the "recover deleted items" but there was nothing there. I think this person knew a bit too much. I have monthly backups of the exchange server. The users mailbox has not been deleted and is still active. I would like to keep the mailbox and restore one of the old backup mailbox to compare what was deleted. Is there a way to do this. Thx On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:56:02 -0700, Harry Piedra <HarryPiedra@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

System Hanging in GP
Hi All, Has anyone experienced screens hanging on random machines that have XP service pack 2. You just get the hour glass, but it will sit there for days. It does finish the process's, but you have to end the task. I am seeing this everywhere and can't pinpoint this. Again, this is random! thanks in advance Nic Hi Check for spyware (run adaware and remove spyware). What are the users doing within GP before it hungs? -- Regards James[MVP] Visit MBS Blog Central http://mbscentral.blogs.com "NIc" <NIc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6F88F...

Restore exchange server 2000 to a disaster recovery machine
Hi all I can't quite get my head around this. I want to be able to restore my exchange server onto another machine for disaster recovery purposes. Every day i want to be able to take a tape thats a backup from the live server to the offsite disaster recovery server (drs) I have set up the DRS to have the same domain name etc and user names. What do I need to do now. I cannot mount the stores due to all sorts of error messages.I have looked at Q297289 but thats a scenario when you wish not to use the live server anymore Regards Craig Domain name does not need to be the same. Setup a n...

Journal size doesn't show up in System Mgr.
I just found out that when I view mailbox sizes in Exchange 2000's System Manager, the reported sizes aren't taking into account attachments saved in the users' journals!?!? How do I view this information? For example, I can look at User X and see that their mailbox store is 100MB, but if I go to their PC and look at their mailbox size, it may report 350MB - the Journal actually reporting the other 250MB that the System Manager doesn't report. I'm having a terrible time finding mailbox bloat unless I go to each user and look at their machines individually. How can I...

Restoring from backup
Our computer recently crashed and I have a backup copy of our money. But when I went in to restore from backup it asks for a password. My husband and I never used a password on our home computer. Also, the money 2002 cd has a spider crack in the back - I can't feel it but I can see it. Is there a way to fix the spider crack and install the newer version? Carrie Generally when Money asks for a password on a file known not to have one, it is trying to tell you that the file was written with a newer version of Money than you are trying to use to read it. Granted, this is a goofy w...

recipient unable to open excel 2003 doc with excel 2000
When ever I create an excel doc useing MSO Excel 2003 and send it to my biz partner who uses excell 2000 he is unable to open it with out it being all garbled. How can I save these documents so that he can open them. People who also have MSO Excel 2003 have no problem opening the doc. Thanks for your help in advance. FMF DOC wrote: > When ever I create an excel doc useing MSO Excel 2003 and send it to my biz > partner who uses excell 2000 he is unable to open it with out it being all > garbled. > > How can I save these documents so that he can open them. > > Peop...

failed exchange database restore
Have backed up the "first storage Group", and dilligently backing up every day, The server HDD crash lossing everything, had to rebuild the server from scratch, restored the data OK, but now come to restore the "mailboxes" but on the right pain of the backup screen is says no entries! Have looked at several tapes and on another server using MS backup and they all say "no entries found" yet there appears to be backing up the mailboxes. I have followed the instruction from begining to end and still the restore fails. Need urgent help as it is Saturday and ne...

Unable to install CRM 3.0 client on Outlook 2003
I originally attempted to install the CRM 3.0 laptop client for Outlook 2003 on a standalone WinXP machine at a customer's home office (in a workgroup; not joined to the customer's domain). Received the following error message after the first list of missing components were successfully added during the installation prerequisite phase: ================ "Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Common.Analyzer+CollectAction failed. %1 is not a valid Win32 application." ================ Pressing the "Ignore" button at this prompt results in the following message: "Data P...

How to Restore Public Calendar Permissions
Most of the items on our public calendar were deleted. We restored the items by copying them from a .pst which was extracted from a backup. Sometime afterwards we found that users could not see items on the calendar until they displayed the previous month first and then the current month. Users cannot print items from the public calendar (it appears blank) and they cannot change items that they created previously. They are able to create new items. We've tried making everyone an owner just to see if anything changed but the results were still the same. I'm assuming that all ...

Unable to delete #3
I have Windows XP with SP2 and Outlook XP. I have an entry that did not download completely and now I can not delete that message. I tried Safe Mode but that did not work. Do you have any ideals on removing that message, in hopes that I do not have to uninstall then reinstall. Thanks in advance Dan Did not download from where? Your ISP? Use their web interface to delete the offending mail. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be dele...

a quick question about the system tray
i'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times before. how, in mfc, can you have a program go to the system tray at all times, but only show up in the taskbar if the window is restored? this is in a dialog based application. thanks, edward I do this by handling WM_SIZE in my main window (I've done it in dialog and SDI MFC apps) to detect a minimise and use ShowWindow() to hide the window if minimise happened. Then, I use Shell_NotifyIcon() to add a notify area icon. Then you need to handle click messages on the main window (the clicks will actually be on the icon but they are n...

Test Restore
My test restore seems to have brought over all of the data. However, I can only logon with the sa account. I can see all of my user accounts in SQL Server but they do not exist in Great Plains. I marked the Automatically Add Logins to Server and Automatically Add Users to Database options in Step 14 of setting up GP with GP Utilities. I cannot find any reference to adding users to GP anywhere else. Where would I find the documentation? I did not set up the original Production Server but am trying to test a restore to another computer which is running Windows XP OS with an evalua...

Unable to open the outlook window.
I just downloaded Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to my computer. When I try to open Outlook, the window opens for about 2 seconds and then closes automatically. I received an error message: "cannot start microsoft office outlook. unable to open the outlok window. the server is not available. contact your system administrator if this problem persist." I'm have home based computer and don't have an administrator. Can anyone help? Did you create a profile with settings (email account, POP3 and SMPT server names, etc.) for Outlook to use? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Ti...

=Date() not picking up system date
Hi. I am a novice at Access. I had a Access databse created in 2000 version. Last week I converted it to 2002/3 version using the auto convert feature. Now I find all teh queries and forms picking up the system date using =Date() comes back with #Name? Creating a new form using the insert Date and Time comes back with the same #Name? Has any one got an answer as to why it doesn't pick up the system date. This is happening on multiple computers. -- Brian Sounds like a problem with library references: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Pe...

Systems Integration question
Does anyone know of any [authoritative] resources (books, papers etc) which compare and contrast different Systems Integration technologies (e.g. J2EE and .NET)? In particular, I'm looking for a comprehensive comparison of several of these techonologies. ...

Unable to Display Folder #5
We are currently rolling out new workstations (Windows XP with Office XP). Users receiveing these new workstations are currently reciveing erros messages when going into outlook. At this time, it is not all users but some select users. Fore Example, when I go into Outlook 2003, instead of bringing up the Inbox, I get a message on the screen (pane) where the inbox would be that it was "Unable to display folder". For some users it is there inbox while others have the same problem on the sent items folder or the deleted items folder. The same users can get to their inbox/...

unable to access my recent documents icon in word and publisher
unable to access my recent documents icon in word and publisher- HOW CAN i TURN ON RECENT DOCUMENT FEATURE? Perhaps you are running one of those Windows utilities that clears all kinds of history lists? If so, turn it off. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Oliviachamp" wrote: > unable to access my recent documents icon in word and publisher- HOW CAN i > TURN ON RECENT DOCUMENT FEATURE? ...

Exchange 5.5 System Free/Busy objects left in Exchange 2003 since Migration.
Hi I hope somebody can help with this. I migrated our old Exchange 5.5 Org to Exchange 2003 last year and followed all the MS KB's about doing this. Since then we have switched to Native Mode 2003 and working fine. However we found that our AD infrastructure wasn't at its best and are currently deploying a new Domain. Now this is where the fun starts. While creating a new Exchange 2003 Org in the new Domain, we are replicating the Public/System Folders from the old Org and we have been getting some errors. On investigation we have found that there are redundant Free/Busy Schedule+ obj...

Message larger than system limit or mailbox is full
One our users had a problem where someone was trying to email him a 12MB zip file, but the email got bounced back to the sender with: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again. Our receive message size is set to a maximum of 20,000KB (i.e. 20MB), and there are no limits set on the user's mailbox. Are there any other limits that I might be missing somewhere? The exchange logs indicate that the message came in and a NDR was sent out. The appli...

No Operating System on the PC I purchased from library yesterday
Howdy there all you folks, wuz happening, I dont know. I have a suggestion to make here to yal, I purchased a gateway desktop PC from my local library yesterday for only 10 dollars right, they said it do not have a operating system on it, well it have 128 MB RAM on it though, last night I tried installing windows xp home edition service pack 2 right, well its telling me that I need to install a full version of an previous version of windows like 98, 2000 professional, or Millenium Edition and then I can upgade from that and be on my way to surfing online, well all I have is windows xp h...

restoring public folder calendar events
is there a way to restore deleted events in a public folder calendar? Pearl <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there a way to restore deleted events in a public folder calendar? Remember to include your version & SP levels of everything when you post in here as it can make a big difference. The answer is yes, if you've got deleted item retention enabled for the public store and it's within the time limit. Make sure to enable the DumpsterAlwaysOn reghack on a workstation and then try to use tools | recover deleted items to see the old data & ...