reg frag

Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on
a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

Thanks

0
Scott

Right click a bmp and select Open With. Then select Paint and select always open
with

--
Peter

"Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message news:KCkrn.25638$7o6.2778@newsfe27.ams2...
> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on a
> machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
>
> Thanks

0
Peter
3/27/2010 2:05:16 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:59 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:

> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on
> a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
"Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
this program..."

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
3/27/2010 3:13:27 PM
I have 80 computers to do on

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:59 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:
>
>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files
>> on
>> a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
>

> Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
> "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
> this program..."
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Scott
3/27/2010 7:54:41 PM
Suggest you get started. Need info on the setup of the 80 (network from single
server,etc,etc,etc)

--
Peter

"Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message news:4otrn.303667$2R.81000@newsfe11.ams2...
>I have 80 computers to do on
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:59 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on
>>> a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
>>

>> Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
>> "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
>> this program..."
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Peter
3/27/2010 9:29:01 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:54:41 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:

> I have 80 computers to do on

It shouldn't take as much as a minute on each of the computers. Even
allowing for walking from computer to computer, its probably no more
than and hour and a half or so in total.

If I were you, I would put any .bmp file on a thumb drive or CD, then
take it to each of the 80 computers and do what I said below 80 times.
It's likely to be much faster than the time you would spend looking
for another way, trying it, finding out that it didn't work the way
you thought it would, fixing the problems that resulted, etc.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:59 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files
> >> on
> >> a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
> >

> > Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
> > "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
> > this program..."
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
3/27/2010 9:43:05 PM
computers winxp clients on win2k domain

> Suggest you get started. Need info on the setup of the 80 (network from
> single server,etc,etc,etc)
>
> --
> Peter

> "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message
>>I have 80 computers to do on
>>

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>>> Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
>>> "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
>>> this program..."
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Scott
3/27/2010 9:47:03 PM
Best way as Ken and myself posted. Read Ken's last post at 5:43PM today in this
thread
--
Peter

"Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message news:n1vrn.7105$9S6.4434@newsfe19.ams2...
> computers winxp clients on win2k domain
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Suggest you get started. Need info on the setup of the 80 (network from single
>> server,etc,etc,etc)
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message
>>>I have 80 computers to do on
>>>

>>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

0
Peter
3/27/2010 10:42:50 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:42:50 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Best way as Ken and myself posted. Read Ken's last post at 5:43PM today in this
> thread

LOL! 5:43 on your time zone, but not mine. So, I can tell that you are
located on the east coast of the USA. <vbg>

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
3/28/2010 12:47:38 AM
:-)

--
Peter

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:42:50 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Best way as Ken and myself posted. Read Ken's last post at 5:43PM today in this
>> thread
>

> LOL! 5:43 on your time zone, but not mine. So, I can tell that you are
> located on the east coast of the USA. <vbg>
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Peter
3/28/2010 1:01:18 AM
In a .bat file:

assoc .bmp=bmpfile
ftype bmpfile=%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe %1

John

Scott wrote:
> I have 80 computers to do on
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:55:59 -0000, "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files
>>> on
>>> a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
>>
>> Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
>> "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
>> this program..."
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
John
3/28/2010 3:57:34 AM
Thanks John.......Is there a way I can execute this from a single machine?

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> In a .bat file:
>
> assoc .bmp=bmpfile
> ftype bmpfile=%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe %1
>
> John
>
> Scott wrote:
>> I have 80 computers to do on
>>

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>>> Do not edit the registry. Simply right-click *any* .bmp file, click
>>> "Open with," choose Paint, and be sure to check the box "Always use
>>> this program..."
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Scott
3/28/2010 8:52:04 AM
80 machines so you must have a domain?  Push it in a logon or startup
script.  You're not going to tell me that the machines are all stand
alones or that they are loosely arranged in a workgroup?

John

Scott wrote:
> Thanks John.......Is there a way I can execute this from a single machine?
>

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> In a .bat file:
>>
>> assoc .bmp=bmpfile
>> ftype bmpfile=%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe %1
>>
>> John
>>
>> Scott wrote:
>>> I have 80 computers to do on
>>>

>>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

0
John
3/28/2010 2:02:27 PM
They Are on a domain

> 80 machines so you must have a domain?  Push it in a logon or startup
> script.  You're not going to tell me that the machines are all stand
> alones or that they are loosely arranged in a workgroup?
>
> John
>
> Scott wrote:
>> Thanks John.......Is there a way I can execute this from a single
>> machine?
>>

>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>> In a .bat file:
>>>
>>> assoc .bmp=bmpfile
>>> ftype bmpfile=%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe %1
>>>
>>> John

0
Scott
3/28/2010 3:01:53 PM
Push it in your Group Policies.

John

Scott wrote:
> They Are on a domain
>
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> 80 machines so you must have a domain?  Push it in a logon or startup
>> script.  You're not going to tell me that the machines are all stand
>> alones or that they are loosely arranged in a workgroup?
>>
>> John
>>
>> Scott wrote:
>>> Thanks John.......Is there a way I can execute this from a single
>>> machine?
>>>

>>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message

0
John

reg frag
Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit? Thanks Right click a bmp and select Open With. Then select Paint and select always open with -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Scott" <scott@bt.com> wrote in message news:KCkrn.25638$7o6.2778@newsfe27.ams2... > Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on a > machine basis, what reg key do i...

Subproject .reg file
Hi, what's the purpose of the .reg file when you create a subproject? I added some entries to this file and when I execute the application, I thought the items should show up in system registry. Some did and some did not. I assumed those that did perhaps had some system default but not sure. Is this true? Do I need to use some key words to make them get initialized or do i have to create & populate manually? The contents of the subproject .reg file will end up in the OS, of course you need to build the OS after making changes. -- Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engin...

REG attachments
I'm using Win XP SP2 with Outlook 2003. I just purchased some software on line and they emailed me a REG file to register and unlock the software. The problem is Outlook is displaying: "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments: xxxxxxxxx.REG" I realized this is a good idea, but how do I get my registration code now? -- -=[cwa]=- e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net Home: www.cwaiken.net See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm on how to edit the registry so you can unblock them. If you don't like editing the registry, t...

Reg CToolTipCtrl
Hi , I used the CTooltipctrl for a Button. That is displaying tooltip Everytine when my mouse over the button. I need it to be displayed only when iam keeping the mouse over the button and not moving over the button.. Can please anybody repply me .... Use TrackMouseEvent() to detect hover and then activate your tooltip. -SM ...

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M´┐Żller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

Reg: .Net VC++ Books
Hi I'm new to .Net VC++, can you please prescribe some books/websites to take on. Make sure i'm going to work application related to COM,MFC which is related to Device Drivers,Ports,PCB etc... Thanks Siva. "SivaprakashShanmugam" <SivaprakashShanmugam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9D3E710-171C-4400-B62E-40D95AD118C4@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I'm new to .Net VC++, can you please prescribe some books/websites to take > on. Make sure i'm going to work application related to COM,MFC which is > related to Device Drivers,Ports,P...

Suggestion needed from experts reg files
Hi, I am doing an app which involves freqent searching. So ,I thought of this way. Reading from the file once the system boots and cache the memory. When the file does not exist ,the app will not be executing else the app runs normal. I have done searching mechanism in the file. I am getting lost in caching the memory ,Pls explain how the whole procedure works and if at all pls give some sample code snippet. Regards YKUT Whether memory is cached or not is usually up to the memory manager. Why are you wanting to intervene? "YKUT" <ykutanoor2003@yahoo.com> wrote in messa...

Front Page 2003 Registry Keys Reg Edit
As per my previous question, I am in addition NOW have problems when I start Front Page from the Quick Launch Icon. It immediately wants to install something. I cancel that and it opens. Annoying but doesn't prevent it from opening. But it has been installed and uninstalled so much, I have it crossed up somewhere. I am removing it again. I have checked Reg Edit and see Front Page keys are clearly marked. Is it safe to remove any and all keys that say Front Page? -- @nna What's the "something" it wants to install? -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Micros...

Reg Sql Server 2005 Full and Differential Backup
Hi I am create a full backup every day at 1am and from morning 7am onwards differential back until night 11pm (as a single file for 24 hours) next day new file. if i open and restore the backup it show like this Example ----------- FUll backup 120020 Diff at 7 am 123580 Diff at 8 am 124430 Diff at 9 am 124430 Diff at 10 am 128430 Diff at 11 am 129490 Diff at 12 pm 131430 Diff at 1 pm 131430 Diff at 2 pm 123331 (the is a great change in size) Like this upto 11pm. but in middle of the diff . backup the is a size different . and i can able to restore upto 1pm. but can...

zipfix_vista.reg
Hello, Like many people I have read about they have a problem with the Windows Vista for opening .zip files. I tyred to download zipfix_vista.reg but this still dose not fix the problem, I can use winrar to open zip files but the whole file isnot there, If i use another computer and open the file its all there, Can anyone help? This is a Vista question. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US http://www.winzip.com/faq.htm -- Mary Sauer http://m...

Reg Line Style
Hi all, How to implement the following Line styles 1. Dot Line 2. Dash Line 3. Dash dot Line 4. Dash dot dot Line Awaiting for your Guidence Rgds, Ganesh... Have you look at CPen's constructor? "Ganesh" <ma.chinnaganeshkumar@lyos.co.uk> wrote in message news:#D6oEtWjDHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > How to implement the following Line styles > > 1. Dot Line > 2. Dash Line > 3. Dash dot Line > 4. Dash dot dot Line > > Awaiting for your Guidence > > Rgds, > Ganesh... > > > ...

Question reg Form and Report Parameters
I am trying to follow the instructions on the Access Microsoft Office page on Creating a Form that collects Report Parameters from the following link office.microsoft.com/en_us/access/HA100963141033.aspx?mode=print and I am stuck on the following step. My understanding of this is that I needd to add the following: Between [Forms]![Parameter Collector]![Beginning Date] And [Forms]![Parameter Collector]![Ending Date] in the query of the report. I do not have date fields in my query for this report. Do I have to have them? I do not need to store these dates in my db. I just need to en...

Updating platform.reg...
Hello, I want to change the following value in the common.reg : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\Mass_Storage_Class\2] .... .... "UnitAttnRepeat"=dword:A ; TEST UNIT READY repeat (reduce to 1 for large USB disk keys) .... ... Obviously, I don't change the common.reg but I put the new value in my platform.reg (or project.reg) : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\Mass_Storage_Class\2] "UnitAttnRepeat"=dword:1 After this change I have launched a "Build and Sysgen Current BSP" command but in the reldir I see th...

outlook.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Security] "CheckAdminSettings"=dword:00000001 I wonder if anyone could tell me what the above key actually does. i believe it to be something to do with recognising file extensions because i've been advised that installing this key would cure a problem where outlook would block email attachments with the extension pfcs, however i am reluctant to install this key without fully understanding it's impact. It tells Outlook to check a security form in the Exchange server's public fol...

Run Reg File Silently from Batch File
Windows XP SP3 I have the following in a .REG file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop] "AutoEndTasks"=3D"0" I am just using this value as a test and I toggle it between 0 and 1. I would like to develop a batch file that runs the .REG file silently. Toward that end, I have placed the following command in a batch file: regedit.exe /s AutoEndTasks.reg This works if I type it at the command prompt. However, if I put it in a batch file and then run that batch file from the command prompt, ...

How can I create a chart using stacked & reg columns together?
I need to create a chart using 2 axis (which I can do already). The part I am struggling with is on the primary axis, I need 1 standard column and 1 stacked column side-by-side. I can do a dual axis with 1 stacked column and 1 line on the primary, but not a column. Any help is greatly appretiated. Jon Peltier has information and links for clustered stacked columns on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html DMenegay wrote: > I need to create a chart using 2 axis (which I can do already). The part I > am struggling with is on the primary axis...

Exchange 2003/OWA: DefaultTheme reg key
I already asked that some time ago, but unfortunately nobody answered. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=robert+exchange+defaulttheme&hl=en&lr=&selm=%23w45576qEHA.324%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl&rnum=1 What values can HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA\DefaultTheme take ? It works for built-in themes, but I can't get it working with a custom theme. Using hex or decimal for the theme id doesn't make any difference. Where is the information about the chosen theme saved anyway ? Active Directory or the mailbox itself ? Thanks, Robert che...

Help, pls, with 2 reg keys
Where would I find the original installation key either within Office/Outlook 2003 or the registry? We received a PC from our company and 2 sets of Office Pro 2003 were sent, with 2 different keys. We need to keep the correct one that goes with this PC, and send the other back to the main office, where it probably belongs to another PC. They are both OEM versions, btw... Thank you. -- B'Regards, Vinnie You can use the following tool for that; http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do ...

Reg Disaster Recovery method
Hi, I am very new to exchange and i am going to change new server, the configuration will be same, both hardware and software. I am presently using exchange 2003, windows 2003, and outlook 2003. I want to take backup of the old server and i want to install new server, with exchange 2003. How can i take backup what are things to be backed up. I should not lose my mails and calenders, and how do i restore?. If any one can help me, it will great ful, and more ever i am not using any backup software. Is there any online guide for refrence. Rgds, Venkat The safest thing to do is add the ...

Reg files not sticking
I have had a lot of problems with some of my .reg files. They install fine, but after other reboots, they disappear from the right click menu of Windows explorer. Anyone know what the heck is going on. Andy "Mint" <chocolatemint77581@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:fab149fd-5c85-4e7c-9426-7ca148fcaae7@o8g2000yqo.googlegroups.com... > I have had a lot of problems with some of my .reg files. > > They install fine, but after other reboots, they disappear from the > right click menu of > Windows explorer. > > Anyone know what the heck...

word 2007 won't reg key
newer dell computer with OEM vista home premium installed. unable to activate word using reg key stated on the computer. tried at least 10 times, but dialog box indicates error. did bypass activation & opened a few new word docs, but when i copied some old data files into word 2007 everything locked & unable to update. still using old computer & moving some data files to the new. able to get automatic window updates though. Thanks to Dell support, the number on the box was incorrect & had to use the number on the installation disk included in the package of i...

Reg:Trying to write a macro in excel
Hi all, There are 3 sheets in a single xl file: Sheet 1: It contains the template to be populated with the information from the other sheets It contains only selected columns from sheet 2 and sheet 3 whose values need to be populated in sheet 1. PART 1: Sheet 3: contains 3rd column as "subproject id": and has different columns containing the subproject details Aim of code: 1. extract all the subproject ids into sheet1:from sheet 3 in the defined range of cells in sheet1 under the s...

Reg hiding such parameters in the properties of the mail
hi , I am using the outlook 2003 client for sending the email. when it reaches the destination end, the destined user is easily identifying the parameters like, from where the mail is coming like, public ip, machine name, and local ip address of the system which the mail is originated.. so i do not want to publisize such parameters to the outside world.. so how would i adjust the oulook such a way it should not take such parameters while sending the emails. i shal be thankfull if u help me on this! thanks in advance rizwan ...

PiVot Table charts
Hi, Data struct. ============= 1) Division/Dept 2) Projects other data.... Scenario =========== Analysing the data relevant to each division & projects having the Dept as Page Field and Projects as Base field thro' Pivot chart Problem ======== Base field (Project) list all the projects irrelevant to that particular division/dept. Please provide a solution ...

Hi.. Reg: VnWare
Hi.. Can any one share the c# code for executing VnWare commands [like start, stop, list etc] Thkz Chets Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice DOING STATIC IN C# http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/88185d6b-5000-4de0-9997-64005ab433c8/doing-static-in-c.aspx Do you mean you want examples of using C# to call VMWare's PowerCLI? Marco "chetana rupa" wrote in message news:2009122334913chetanarupab@infotechsw.com... > Hi.. > Can any one share the c# code for executing VnWare commands [like start, > stop, list etc] ...