Recover XP

I have a system that lost the hal.dll Apparently the user could not enter
recovery console or did not know how, Instead they created another copy of
xp. I now have a windows folder and a windows.2 folder. I have a suspicion
there was another attempt to install as there is no windows.1 folder.
Anyways, all the information in the windows folder is what I need or, to
restore this windows folder as the os.
Would it be possible to change the boot.ini from windows.2 back to windows
and be able to boot to this folder. It really would save me a lot of time
having to wipe the drive and install everything again as the information is
still there.

   Did the user leave you with two versions of WinXP and you get a menu to
select one or the other?  Or did the user install another version of XP and
that's the only one it boots to?

"alexus56" <alexus56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a system that lost the hal.dll Apparently the user could not enter
> recovery console or did not know how, Instead they created another copy of
> xp. I now have a windows folder and a windows.2 folder. I have a suspicion
> there was another attempt to install as there is no windows.1 folder.
> Anyways, all the information in the windows folder is what I need or, to
> restore this windows folder as the os.
> Would it be possible to change the boot.ini from windows.2 back to windows
> and be able to boot to this folder. It really would save me a lot of time
> having to wipe the drive and install everything again as the information
> is
> still there.

0
Rich
1/12/2010 3:03:41 AM
  Microsoft has a repair method for hal.dll,to view it,follow this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

"alexus56" wrote:

> I have a system that lost the hal.dll Apparently the user could not enter
> recovery console or did not know how, Instead they created another copy of
> xp. I now have a windows folder and a windows.2 folder. I have a suspicion
> there was another attempt to install as there is no windows.1 folder.
> Anyways, all the information in the windows folder is what I need or, to
> restore this windows folder as the os.
> Would it be possible to change the boot.ini from windows.2 back to windows
> and be able to boot to this folder. It really would save me a lot of time
> having to wipe the drive and install everything again as the information is
> still there.
  Also,once the xp OS is back with the .dll file,boot pc to xp cd,recovery
 console,select 1 For C:,press enter for password,type: DiskPart  In DiskPart,
 locate the 2nd xp installation,delete the partition,create one on the empty
 space if desired,press ESC key to exit,type: EXIT to terminate
recovery,format
 the new partition in diskmgmt.msc  in XP.

"alexus56" wrote:

> I have a system that lost the hal.dll Apparently the user could not enter
> recovery console or did not know how, Instead they created another copy of
> xp. I now have a windows folder and a windows.2 folder. I have a suspicion
> there was another attempt to install as there is no windows.1 folder.
> Anyways, all the information in the windows folder is what I need or, to
> restore this windows folder as the os.
> Would it be possible to change the boot.ini from windows.2 back to windows
> and be able to boot to this folder. It really would save me a lot of time
> having to wipe the drive and install everything again as the information is
> still there.
The second installation is the only one it boots to although like I said, no
telling what user did before it got to me. Just going by what they said they
did.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

>    Did the user leave you with two versions of WinXP and you get a menu to
> select one or the other?  Or did the user install another version of XP and
> that's the only one it boots to?
>
> "alexus56" <alexus56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a system that lost the hal.dll Apparently the user could not enter
> > recovery console or did not know how, Instead they created another copy of
> > xp. I now have a windows folder and a windows.2 folder. I have a suspicion
> > there was another attempt to install as there is no windows.1 folder.
> > Anyways, all the information in the windows folder is what I need or, to
> > restore this windows folder as the os.
> > Would it be possible to change the boot.ini from windows.2 back to windows
> > and be able to boot to this folder. It really would save me a lot of time
> > having to wipe the drive and install everything again as the information
> > is
> > still there.
>

> .

HELP! When I removed Office XP did I lose by inbox file?
I didn't archive my inbox and personal folders before removing Office XP. Now I have reinstalled Office XP and thought I could find my old data files. but all of the import and repair tools work with PST which I don't have. I remember that previously there were seperate inbox files and can not find them now. Thank you for your input. Ron Be sure to show hidden and system files on your computer and then do a search for *.pst. This should get you started... "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093b01c3ba63$265a8120$a401280a@phx.gbl....

CListView and xp style in vs 2003
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com **** I have added XP styles to my MFC application by adding a manifest file to my project. Everything seems ok, apart from the fact that when i click on an icon in CListView (which has report style) the icon disapears! The icon is displayed ok when not in XP style. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks Andy -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 9...

Windows XP Professional
Is there a built in component of this system that allows me to create business documents such as brochures, etc. without the need for additional software? I am a beginner and do not understand much of the normal terminology. I just want to create a bi-fold hand-out for an upcoming event. Have Microsoft Word and Adobe 6.0 installed at present. No, Windows is the operating system. The following is from www.webopedia.com: "The most important program that runs on a computer. Every general-purpose computer must have an operating system to run other programs. Operating systems perform b...

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

ivex windraft under XP
I was running windraft 3.07 under NT 4. After upgrading to XP Pro, it runs incredibly slowly, to the point of uselessness. Ivex seems to be no more, sad to say. Is there a fix for this problem? Thanks, George Sorry, wrong NG. ...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

Outlook XP dialogs cut off
Some of the settings dialog boxes seem to be cut off to where some buttons or input fields do not show completely. I have a large (20.5") LCD set to the native resolution of 1600x1200 so every box should be at full size. I can not find an answer to this in the either the knowledge base or the Outlook support center. I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 with Office XP Pro. what specific dialogs and are they resizable? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsx...

xp device not recognized for ext. usb hdd after virus removal
I'm running xp pro sp 3 and was surfing the web using firefox 3.6.6 & my antivirus (avira free) said it found a virus, and I had it remove it. A couple minutes later it found something again and I had it remove the threat. I ran microsoft security essentials and it started to scan my pc but I cancelled the scan and instead decided to reboot into safe mode and run malware bytes antimalware and did a full scan of my c: drive and it found and removed 4 threats. While still in safe mode, XP then detected a USB device as though I had just plugged one in (which I did not) - some...

From Access 97 to XP
Dear Users, I would like to upgrade all Access 97 databases into Access XP. Could I install Access XP without uninstalling Access 97? If so, could I continue to use Access 97? Kind Regards Charles Yes. During the installation of Office XP, choose "Custom" installation. Make sure that the folder has a different name than the one where A97 is installed, and uncheck the box for "remove previous versions". This is the recommended approach. You need at least one computer where you can still use A97, because sometimes you find a database is partially corrupt when you tr...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

Outlook XP Menu Locks
Odd issue has just popped up. Outlook XP on a few different computers this week all ahve gotten the same issue. While working in a new email, or while a few emails or drafts are open, the toolbars and menus all become locked. Can't click on any of them. Hot keys like Ctrl + C don't work either. The only option is to close down all of the drafts or messages opened to get it working again. This just started this past week and is happening on multiple machines. What is weird, we have Access 97 on these computers as well. It too is doing the same behaviour while c...

Resource leak when using CToolbar in windows XP
Hi, One of our applications does a lot of printing. We found that in windows 2000 and windows XP, it crashes after printing 2224 docs. The error says "Cannot create empty document". On further investigation, we found that this crash happens when the number of GDI objects used up by the application reaches 10000. The same application works fine in windows 2003 - only 481 GDI objects are used. I executed the code in debugger. Found that everytime it uses a CToolbar, atleast 6 to 8 GDI objects are allocated. But only one is returned on destruction. There seems to be a bug in ba...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...

how do i get excel on xp home edition
Elayne Excel is not part of Windows XP which is an operating system. To get Excel you either need to purchase the stand-alone product or as part of the Office suite of applications -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Elayne" <Elayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFD452EE-9AE1-4099-A3D5-E26EEF6B7124@microsoft.com... > ...

Help! I accidentally deleted emails that I desperately need to recover... Any suggestions please?
Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? Many thanks! On 1/26/10 10:20 AM, in article C7847266.27FB9%gavin@kerner.com, "Gavin Wilding" <gavin@kerner.com> wrote: > Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? It depends on what you backed up. Without more details, we can't help. You can use Switch Identity to access data in a second Identity. -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> YouTalk <...

Recover junk mail
How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail folder that I mistakenly just deleted? afaik...locally emptying or purging the junk mail folder is permanent in WLM(and also if using WLM for http access to a Hotmail account). If Pop3, access the web server holding the account to determine if the messages are present(ymmv) in the web Deleted folder. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18654186-1254-4406-9DAF-22B213E775D4@microsoft.com... > How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail fold...

Outlook XP Emails Get Stuck, Not Large PST Issue
As a network admin at our company I've ran across about 1-2 users per week starting to have this problem, and the first one was reported about 5 weeks ago, where they randomly cannot send emails in Outlook XP (w/ SP3). They may have a few stuck in their outbox, and if you try to send them it just hangs usually around 50% on trying to connect to SMTP on our mail server to send it. If you close Outlook and reopen it fixes it for awhile then starts doing it again. Another temp fix I found is if when it's happening if I go into TOols->Account settings->Advanced and on t...

xp desktop icons are locked
Some one messed with my PC and all my desktop icon are locked. I have tried everything and nothing works. What is "everything"? Need to know what you've tried. "indy8six" <indy8six@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BE5544C-AF52-4FC2-9C80-EFB8E8AFB55A@microsoft.com... : Some one messed with my PC and all my desktop icon are locked. I have tried : everything and nothing works. indy8six wrote: > Some one messed with my PC and all my desktop icon are locked. I > have tried everything and nothing works. Explain what you me...

Recover
I set up my labtop for pop 3 mail. I like keeping almost all of my e-mails on the webmail server so I can refer to them. After I received the messages from my labtop, all the messages on my webmail were gone. I empytied the deleted items folder also on my labtop. Is there any kind of folder that they go to on the computer that's hidden before they e-mails are complety taken off the computer. Also is there a way to pull them off of the server again. The messages are gone, unless whoever provides your webmail has a way for you to get deleted messages back - ask them. In the fu...

Is it possible to recover a file that's been saved over?
I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file containing very important information on my laptop. I wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the file on top...

Macros in Excel XP
Hi, I have recently started using office xp and have some macros stored in the personal.xls file. They used to open automatically in '97 but now I have to open the file every time I start Excel. The files are in xlstart folder so what's different? Any ideas? regards Phil Phil In XP the xlStart folder moved from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office to C:\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel. I suspect this is your problem. (It actually moved in XL2000 I think) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Phil Boffin" <philboffin@tiscali.co.uk>...

XP Boot problems
Buongiorno a tutti ! sono in un grande guaio ... a seguito della disinstallazione di un programma all'avvio il pc mi segnala che il disco non contiene il BOOT !!! Allora si tratta di un PC con windows XP Sp3 installato regolarmente e senza particolari programmi se escludiamo un software gestionale e Office. Il programma disinstallato era un sospettosissimo "Antimalware" il quale � stato disinstallato usando una utility chiamata REVO uninstaller in quanto il programma in questione (antimalware) non disponeva di un uninstaller .. Cosa mi suggerite ? il problema enorme ...

Recover Outlook Tasks
I use tasks as a to-do list and have a problem with some tasks that have been deleted by a synchronisation. I sync a PocketPC2002 pda with a notebook and a desktop both running XP Outlook 2002. I didn't realise when doing a recent sync (ActiveSync 3.7.1) with the notebook that many of my tasks were deleted. Before realising I synced with the desktop so now none of the three devices have all my tasks. Is there a way to recover them? There is nothing in the deleted folders or archives. Thanks in advance... Did you have a backup of your PST file, presuming you use a PST file? If ...

Create windows for XP?2000
Hi, I am new to VC. Can I use CSplitterWnd class to create windows(in explorer style split windows) for use in Win-XP/2000. Please help me. Thanks, Charlie. Yes, you can, it shouldn't be any different from what you did for pre-2000 OSes like 95/98. MSDN documentation outlines the steps you need to take. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "charlie" <cl.lists@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120020013.143365.16450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I am new to VC. > > Can I use CSplitterWnd cla...