Problem with encoding date - but works on Win98

Hi all

My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.

Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
Win98.
=B4
On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
give this error:

Invalid argument to date encode.

Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
yesterday, 15.05.2010.
It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
result in an access violation error.

As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
or something.
Any ideas anyone?

WBR
Sonnich
0
jodleren

"jodleren" <sonnich@hot.ee> wrote in message

> My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
> Originally it works on Win98 . . .
> On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> give this error:
>
> Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.

Windows XP offers "compatibility" settings, to emulate Win95 or
Win98, which solves this type of problem about 80 per cent of
the time.  "Compatibility" is explained via / Start / Help.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
5/16/2010 4:23:57 PM
On May 16, 7:23=A0pm, "Don Phillipson" <e...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
> "jodleren" <sonn...@hot.ee> wrote in message

> > My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> > exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
> > Originally it works on Win98 . . .
> > On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> > give this error:
>
> > Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> > Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
>
> Windows XP offers "compatibility" settings, to emulate Win95 or
> Win98, which solves this type of problem about 80 per cent of
> the time. =A0"Compatibility" is explained via / Start / Help.

Thanks for the idea. That does not help, for both win 95 and win 98.
The error remain.

Sonnich
0
jodleren
5/16/2010 5:16:02 PM
From: "jodleren" <sonnich@hot.ee>

| On May 16, 7:23 pm, "Don Phillipson" <e...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
>> "jodleren" <sonn...@hot.ee> wrote in message

>> > My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
>> > exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
>> > Originally it works on Win98 . . .
>> > On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
>> > give this error:

>> > Invalid argument to date encode.

>> > Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.

>> Windows XP offers "compatibility" settings, to emulate Win95 or
>> Win98, which solves this type of problem about 80 per cent of
>> the time.  "Compatibility" is explained via / Start / Help.

| Thanks for the idea. That does not help, for both win 95 and win 98.
| The error remain.

1.  Win9x/ME is a different family than NT and thus can have compatibilities issues if it
isn't coded to be NT caompatible.

2.  It probably wasn't Y2K compliant and thus the error.

--
Dave

David
5/16/2010 6:53:31 PM
ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\misc.chm::/compatibility_tab_and_wizard.htm

Go to the Program *.exe File
Right Click it
Open Properties
Go to Compatibility in Properties
Check Mark Run this Program in Compatibility made for:
Window 98 / Window Me
Click Apply
Click OK

To run the Program Compatibility Wizard
Start the Program Compatibility ( hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm )
Wizard.
Follow the instructions in the wizard.
 Note

To start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help and
Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and
then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility
Wizard.
Set the compatibility properties manually
As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set
the compatibility properties for a program manually. The settings are the
same as the options in the Program Compatibility Wizard.

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start
menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your
program.
 Notes

The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard
drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or
setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in
effect after you close the program.
For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click
the option and then click What's This.

"jodleren" <sonnich@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
>
> Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
> Win98.
> �
> On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> give this error:
>
> Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
> I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
> yesterday, 15.05.2010.
> It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
> result in an access violation error.
>
> As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
> or something.
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

0
Hot
5/16/2010 7:32:24 PM
On May 16, 10:32=A0pm, "Hot-text" <hot-t...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\misc.chm::/compatibility_tab_and_wizard.htm
>
> Go to the Program *.exe File
> Right Click it
> Open Properties
> Go to Compatibility in Properties
> Check Mark Run this Program in Compatibility made for:
> Window 98 / Window Me
> Click Apply
> Click OK
>
> To run the Program Compatibility Wizard
> Start the Program Compatibility ( hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm )
> Wizard.
> Follow the instructions in the wizard.
> =A0Note
>
> To start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help and
> Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and
> then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility
> Wizard.
> Set the compatibility properties manually
> As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can se=
> the compatibility properties for a program manually. The settings are the
> same as the options in the Program Compatibility Wizard.
>
> To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
> Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start
> menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
> Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for yo=
ur
> program.
> =A0Notes
>
> The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your ha=
rd
> drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs =
or
> setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in
> effect after you close the program.
> For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-clic=
> the option and then click What's This.
>
> "jodleren" <sonn...@hot.ee> wrote in message

> > Hi all
>
> > My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> > exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
>
> > Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
> > Win98.
> > =B4
> > On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> > give this error:
>
> > Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> > Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
> > I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
> > yesterday, 15.05.2010.
> > It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
> > result in an access violation error.
>
> > As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
> > or something.
> > Any ideas anyone?
>
> > WBR
> > Sonnich

The compability issue does not solve it. Not is it a Y2K problem, as
it works on Win98.

So, any other suggestions?

WBT
Sonnich
0
jodleren
5/17/2010 8:32:10 AM
Why not run it in a Win98 VM in XP??

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

0
Noel
5/17/2010 10:49:06 AM
On May 16, 7:16=A0pm, jodleren <sonn...@hot.ee> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
>
> Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
> Win98.
> =B4
> On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> give this error:
>
> Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
> I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
> yesterday, 15.05.2010.
> It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
> result in an access violation error.
>
> As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
> or something.
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

To be more exact, my problem is ntdll.dll - after loading that the
error occurs. Next it loads msimtf.dll

Gee, I recall ntdll.dll - it can cause a lot of problems, and it is
probably related to user rights :)

WBR
Sonnich
0
jodleren
5/17/2010 3:57:31 PM
Then he need to run his Windows Update
To fix it, for in 1999 thay put out a update to fix the  Y2K
If he run all of the Windows Update, then  Y2K is not the problem!

> [...]
>>
>> > Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
>> > Win98.
>> > �
>> > On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
>> > give this error:
>>
>> > Invalid argument to date encode.
>>
>> > Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
>> > I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
>> > yesterday, 15.05.2010.
>> > It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
>> > result in an access violation error.
>>
>> > As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
>> > or something.
>> > Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> > WBR
>> > Sonnich
>
> The compability issue does not solve it. Not is it a Y2K problem, as

0
Hot
5/17/2010 9:21:57 PM
If it's ntdll.dll - it's 100% of problems!
Ok I'll do a Find: All Files on my Win98
Ntdll.dll << Find Now
I have Two
#One in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM  Ntdll.dll  20KB
Version 4.10.1998

#Two in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\  Ntdll.dll  692KB
5.1.2600.2180(xp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Have you run all of you Windows Updates?

For I have all my Windows Updates and can not get no more and you see from
the Updates that #Two is a xp_sp2!

> On May 16, 7:16 pm, jodleren <sonn...@hot.ee> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
>> exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
>>
>> Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
>> Win98.
>> �
>> On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
>> give this error:
>>
>> Invalid argument to date encode.
>>
>> Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
>> I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
>> yesterday, 15.05.2010.
>> It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
>> result in an access violation error.
>>
>> As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
>> or something.
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> WBR
>> Sonnich
>
> To be more exact, my problem is ntdll.dll - after loading that the
> error occurs. Next it loads msimtf.dll
>
> Gee, I recall ntdll.dll - it can cause a lot of problems, and it is
> probably related to user rights :)
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

0
Hot
5/17/2010 9:42:12 PM
Hi Sonnich,

This error message comes from the Borland Delphi Runtime. The error is
returned by Delphi functions such as Encodedate(), if the function
cannot handle the parameters passed to it.

So, your SCM program was written using the Borland Delphi language. When
the Delphi VCL Runtime calls a date function on your XP machine, it hits
this error.

This specific error was reported quite a bit by Delphi users, after XP
SP3 was released. It even affected some of Borland's own products; see:

http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=61610

As described in that bug report, the problem is often caused by a known
issue for XP SP3 when used in the Jerusalem timezone.

If that matches your scenario, see this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953917

Download and install the hotfix described in the article, and
(hopefully), SCM will then run okay on XP.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--
amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

On 17/05/2010 02:16, jodleren wrote:
> My problem is an older programme, Next from SCM for Windor 60 to
> exact. Probably that doesnt tell you much.
> Originally it works on Win98, and can be reinstalled and work on
> Win98.
> On Win XP however, it will work the first time, but after that it will
> give this error:
>
> Invalid argument to date encode.
>
> Then an access violation will occur, and the programme will not work.
> I tried it on to Win XP computers, the result is the same. That was
> yesterday, 15.05.2010.
> It does not even read in the language or anything. All functions
> result in an access violation error.
> > As it works on Win98, it has to be related to some kind of windows DLL
> or something.
> Any ideas anyone?
0
Andrew
5/18/2010 2:46:42 AM
On May 18, 5:46=A0am, Andrew McLaren <and...@invalid.domain.com> wrote:
> Hi Sonnich,
>
> This error message comes from the Borland Delphi Runtime. The error is
> returned by Delphi functions such as Encodedate(), if the function
> cannot handle the parameters passed to it.
>
> So, your SCM program was written using the Borland Delphi language. When
> the Delphi VCL Runtime calls a date function on your XP machine, it hits
> this error.
>
> This specific error was reported quite a bit by Delphi users, after XP
> SP3 was released. It even affected some of Borland's own products; see:
>
> http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=3D61610
>
> As described in that bug report, the problem is often caused by a known
> issue for XP SP3 when used in the Jerusalem timezone.
>
> If that matches your scenario, see this Microsoft KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953917
>
> Download and install the hotfix described in the article, and
> (hopefully), SCM will then run okay on XP.

Thanks Andrew, that explains. At I installed the update, but that did
not change much. However, knowing the nature of the problem is enough
as I'll let them use Win XP without SP3 - then it will work for them

WBR
Sonnich
0
jodleren
5/18/2010 11:27:31 AM
"jodleren" wrote:

> On May 18, 5:46 am, Andrew McLaren <and...@invalid.domain.com> wrote:
> > Hi Sonnich,
> >
> > This error message comes from the Borland Delphi Runtime. The error is
> > returned by Delphi functions such as Encodedate(), if the function
> > cannot handle the parameters passed to it.
> >
> > So, your SCM program was written using the Borland Delphi language. When
> > the Delphi VCL Runtime calls a date function on your XP machine, it hits
> > this error.
> >
> > This specific error was reported quite a bit by Delphi users, after XP
> > SP3 was released. It even affected some of Borland's own products; see:
> >
> > http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=61610
> >
> > As described in that bug report, the problem is often caused by a known
> > issue for XP SP3 when used in the Jerusalem timezone.
> >
> > If that matches your scenario, see this Microsoft KB article:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953917
> >
> > Download and install the hotfix described in the article, and
> > (hopefully), SCM will then run okay on XP.
>
> Thanks Andrew, that explains. At I installed the update, but that did
> not change much. However, knowing the nature of the problem is enough
> as I'll let them use Win XP without SP3 - then it will work for them
>
> WBR
> Sonnich
> .

Just a word of warning Windows XP SP2 and earlier versions on 32 bit systems
will reach end of life on July 13, 2010 as well as Windows 2000 Professional.

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Project 2007 Work Field Formula to Exclude Work Done by Resources Not in a Resource Group
I have a workshop task in my project schedule which is worked on by Resources from my company (Resource Group = VENDOR) and resources in the client's company (Resource Group = CLIENT). I need a formula to calculate WORK hours for ONLY the resources in Resource Group = VENDOR. I want to drop any hours that the CLIENT spends on the task and only calculate VENDOR hours. Does anyone have a formula? I am familiar with Project, but have not used formulas before. Could not find a formula to do this in any of the other forums on the net.. Thanks! +------------------------...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

How to graph 2 stacked colums/date, both over time?
I need to create a stacked column graph which displays two stacked columns, for example the components of actual sales compared to the same components of projected sales over several time periods within the same graph. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks. Is this what you need? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "LTB @ Miami, OK" <LTBMiamiOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F55225F-98E8-4F0E-BF25-31BD42...

Directory Replication Problem #2

I want work, and view,a single sheet in Mac Excel ... like I did in PC Excel
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How do you setup MAC Excel to be able to work in a single sheet format ... the Mac Excel comes up showing several sheets. It isn't showing "several sheets", it's using the newly introduced Page Layout View by default. You're only viewing the one sheet but it's 'separated' into pages as it would be if you were to print the sheet. You can click the Normal View button in the lower left corner of the document window or go to View> Normal to change the view of any given sheet at any time you wish � Norma...

Year(Date()) not working
Access 2003 Win 2000. SELECT tblCustomerComplaints.DateReceived FROM tblCustomerComplaints WHERE (((tblCustomerComplaints.DateReceived)=Year(Date()))); The Year(Date)) isn't returning the current year as I *think* it should. It returns NULL. Can anyone please point out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! Given the name of the field ([DateReceived]), is it reasonable to assume that the value is a date/time value? If so, why are you comparing it to the Year-value of today's date (i.e., Year(Date()))? (?are you trying to test the value in [DateReceived] to see if ...

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Back button doesn't work in Windows 7
New computer loaded with Windows 7. The back button doesn't work most of the time. Fix? Thanks, Rick Morrison "Rick Morrison" <rlmorrison@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:IamdnTxlp9BhAcjWnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@giganews.com... > New computer loaded with Windows 7. The back button doesn't work most of > the time. Fix? Back button works fine on Windows 7 on my home PC. What 3rd party toolbars have you got loaded? Google? Yahoo? Anything else? The only time the back button doesn't seem to work is when there is an intermediate redi...

Formatting cells to show two dates in one cell
I have a column in my spreadsheet that is for the date that I recieve info from clients. When I recieve this info on more than one date, I've been putting a comma between the two dates. I have a word document that I use merge to pull this information (along with other info), but when I pull the data from this particular column, it changes the dates to something like 12:00AM. I've tried changing the formatting of this column to text and also to general, but it still will not give me just the two dates. I don't want to create another column for the second dat...

Function "Workingdays" query error date
I am trying to calculate the number of days, excluding weekends, between two dates. I am using the "workingdays" VBA code. I have pasted the code in a module, naming it "mdlWorkingdays". The code is listed below along with a sample of the data. "mdlWorkingdays" Option Compare Database '*********** Code Start ************** Public Function Workingdays(Start_Date As Date, End_Date As Date) As Integer '.................................................................... ' Name: WorkingDays ' Inputs: StartDate As Date ' EndDate As Da...