PC Dead, XP HD to new box - BUT USB Keyboard??

My XP PC died.   I bought a new PC,  Exchanged HD's,  but XP will not
complete boot up,  It gets to recognizing there is new hardware and asks:
"New hardware found, do you want to Install??"  And  " Do you want broadband
or Dial-up?"

The Old XP PC had PS/2 Keyboard & PS/2 mouse.  New has USB Keyboard & mouse.
 I would suspect that is at least the 'new hardware' found.   I can't answer
the question as the new PC does not pass the input from USB input to the old
XP system.

IS THERE,  a way to use the new PC's Windows 7 64bit home system to "Fix"
the XP system??   I.E.  I have all the recovery files, but if I run the
recovery DISCs,  It will kill my exitin Registry.

>>> Is there a way to place the USB drivers AND have the XP system 'find' them as it is  coming up (rather than ask me)?   & if you know which drivers?

I have access to all the XP files, but - Windows 7 doesl not run many of my
older softweare products, or allow me to install drivers for my hardware!!
- I  will need to dual boot to XP when I want those items.    All I need is
to have XP accept the USB Keyboard & mouse to have it work.

Thanks

Bob K wrote:
> My XP PC died.   I bought a new PC,  Exchanged HD's,  but XP will
> not complete boot up,  It gets to recognizing there is new hardware
> and asks: "New hardware found, do you want to Install??"  And  " Do
> you want broadband or Dial-up?"
>
> The Old XP PC had PS/2 Keyboard & PS/2 mouse.  New has USB Keyboard
> & mouse. I would suspect that is at least the 'new hardware' found.
> I can't answer the question as the new PC does not pass the input
> from USB input to the old XP system.
>
> IS THERE,  a way to use the new PC's Windows 7 64bit home system to
> "Fix" the XP system??   I.E.  I have all the recovery files, but if
> I run the recovery DISCs,  It will kill my exitin Registry.

> I have access to all the XP files, but - Windows 7 doesl not run
> many of my older softweare products, or allow me to install drivers
> for my hardware!! - I  will need to dual boot to XP when I want
> those items.    All I need is to have XP accept the USB Keyboard &
> mouse to have it work.
>
> Thanks

First - you will need to perform a Repair Installation on the Windows XP
hard drive if you want it to boot.

If you have actual Windows XP media (installation, not restore/recovery) and
you integrate SP3 into that and use it to perform a repair/in-place
upgrade - you can repair the HAL and likely your Windows XP will boot/work
again.

Although - if it was an OEM licensed copy - you cannot move it in accordance
with the license agreement anyway.  Copy your files off and call it a loss.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/20/2010 8:38:15 AM
Your old system has apparently a recovery cd, therefore its an oem version
and not licensed for use on another PC, in fact it may be locked to origonal
hardware.

"Bob K" <Bob K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My XP PC died.   I bought a new PC,  Exchanged HD's,  but XP will not
> complete boot up,  It gets to recognizing there is new hardware and asks:
> "New hardware found, do you want to Install??"  And  " Do you want
> broadband
> or Dial-up?"
>
> The Old XP PC had PS/2 Keyboard & PS/2 mouse.  New has USB Keyboard &
> mouse.
> I would suspect that is at least the 'new hardware' found.   I can't
> answer
> the question as the new PC does not pass the input from USB input to the
> old
> XP system.
>
> IS THERE,  a way to use the new PC's Windows 7 64bit home system to "Fix"
> the XP system??   I.E.  I have all the recovery files, but if I run the
> recovery DISCs,  It will kill my exitin Registry.

> I have access to all the XP files, but - Windows 7 doesl not run many of
> my
> older softweare products, or allow me to install drivers for my hardware!!
> - I  will need to dual boot to XP when I want those items.    All I need
> is
> to have XP accept the USB Keyboard & mouse to have it work.
>
> Thanks

0
DL

Restore from 98-XP
I had done a backup of money DATA in 98. Can I restore it to XP by just doing file restore? Is this a trick question? Are you talking about having made a backup of a Money data file using Money version X File|Backup on Windows 98, can you restore the data from the Money Backup File (diskettes) using Money File|Restore from the same Money version X that has been installed on a Windows XP machine? The answer should be yes, if the backup is a good one--i.e., no bad diskettes--and the version of Money installed on the XP machine has the same updates as the version that made the backup in the firs...

Battery life in cordless keyboards and mice.
Hello All! This is a typical description of a Logitech product:"The Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave Pro Keyboard � all you have to do is connect it via a USB port. Expect the battery life to last you approximately 3 years, so you can use the keyboard as much as you want without any worries at all! " I wish I could find a wireless keyboard and mouse whose batteries last so long under realistic conditions by which I mean switched on 12 hours a day, seven days a week.. Has anyone got any ideas? Mostly, I tend to find "lasts up to a year", which is doubtless ...

Problems with new user
Working on a box with Win 2003 SP1 running Exchange 2003 SP2. I have entered a new user in Active Directory. When I go to Properties/Email Addresses the Email Address box is empty. I do have the Automatically update Email Address based on Recipient Policy checked and there is a default policy showing in Recipient Policy. Also, this user will not show up in the Global Address List. I have downloaded the Global Address List several time for changes. Looking for help It may take some depending on your network for the Recipient Update service to stamp the addresses. You manually force ...

Moving to a new computer
I'm trying to move my Outlook 2003 data file (Outlook.PST) to my new computer using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. However, when I try to open the data file and point to it in the right location, it seems to keep opening up a new file that I had already created sort of by accident when I was setting up the computer. My question is, I want to open up my old data file on my new computer, but I don't know how. The instructions are not complicated. In Outlook: File > Open > Outlook Data File... Since you already created an Outlook profile, it created a new, blank PST f...

outlook xp repair
My outlook is corrupted how the inbox repair tool works? Inbox repair tool info http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm However this is to repair a currupted pst file not OL If its an OL problem try the Detect/Repair option within OL David "Francisco" <franciscop@jasdiagnostics.com> wrote in message news:040e01c36c29$e33c1390$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My outlook is corrupted how the inbox repair tool works? ...

Pc Based Home Theater
Monster MCC AV100 Activity-based A/V Home Theater Controller Price:$279.95 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000CQPFCU Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000CQPFCU ...

Re: Recovery from EX2000 to EX2003 Server on a new machine
Hi, i have been having serious problems with my current Exchange 2000 machine where it continously fails to load the Information store and other services at startup. i have got it up and running now but if i reboot it will fail again and only starts 1 in 10 reboots What i would like to do it create another box with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and move all the stores,logs and all to this new server. Is there any procedures that need to be followed to do this? and are there any complications with the AD please advise me on the correct was to do this or any documentation there is available...

Keep formatting PC to PC
I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document from another PC, there's formating have changed. so i wanna know, how to keep page formating, without changing the page sizes with the contents PC to PC? All depends of which version of Excel the PC have. Play it safe by formatting in the lowest version PC. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "chari" <chari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A2FEB7F-FE4A-49CF-862A-25D79086BC8F@microsoft.com... >I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document fro...

How recover XP without losing data or applications
My XP Pro system won't boot after I installed some applications. It won't boot to safe mode. (After the Windows boot screen it shows a "DOS" list of dll files in System32 and the system hangs there.) I heard of various methods to recover XP Pro but I don't want to lose data or applications. What's the best approach to take? kathie wrote: > My XP Pro system won't boot after I installed some applications. > > It won't boot to safe mode. (After the Windows boot screen it shows > a "DOS" list of dll files in Syst...

win 2003 server and USB drive
Interesting problem. I have Win2003 data server and Win2003 exchange. I plug a USB drive into the machine and it recognizes it BUT I never get a drive letter in "my computer". I can I handle this? I want the USB drive for backups. Thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES It's probably wanting to use a drive letter already in use. You can reassign it in Disk Management. Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/prot...

How can I get Pub 2003 to stop creating text boxes when "pasting"?
I am new to MS Publisher 2003 though I have a lot of experience with Pub 2000. I do a newsletter for a fraternal organization each month and it is all done in Publisher. I get a lot of the articles I publish from members via e-mail. In the past, all I had to do was copy the text from the e-mail and paste it into my publication, change the font and its size and I was done. Today was my first "real" experience with Pub 2003 on a new computer. After I copied an e-mail to put in the newsletter I attempted to 'paste' it. What I got was a lot of extra text boxes. In fact, ...

Automatically show new date in the modified cell
I like to add today's date next to the cell value. Everytime the cell is modified, I want the date to be updated automatically to today's date. Any help is appreciated. NYBoy -- NYBoy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NYBoy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8360 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472219 have a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.htm -- bill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bill k's Prof...

Combo Box On Click
I can't get an On Click event to work with a combo box. It looks like it automatically turns into an After Update event. My Combo Box has two columns with the first column hidden because it is a key field. The combo box is also displayed as a hyperlink so that the user can click the list item value to open a form. But I can get the On Click event to work if the user is selecting an existing value in the combo box. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. My observation as been that the Click event and the After Update events for combo boxes are essentially (or maybe entir...

XP Home Edition Start-up
My computer will not start up normally. When I try to start up it works only until the welcome screen and restarts. I have to start in 'safe mode' and use 'start up with last settings that worked.' The only visible change after start up is that the tool bar on the bottom of the screen is white. Also, I have tried the system restore, but get a premature shutdown, cannot restore message. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You -- Fred "Fred Highmore" <FredHighmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F938C6F0-5313-4D42-8E9...

How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?
I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible when my charts are created. Can I set new color defaults for charts created in Excel? Hi, You can set the colours for chart lines and fill. Menu Tools > Options. On the Color tab is a set of colours for Line and Fill. Cheers Andy pro user wrote: > I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end > up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible > when my char...

How do I set up Times New Roman / 12 as the default font / size
Microsoft Outlook: How do I set up Times New Roman / 12 as the default font / size "OldTimer" wrote: > Microsoft Outlook: > How do I set up Times New Roman / 12 as the default font / size On mail view, click on Tools, choose Options, Mail Format and then Fonts (usually Times New Roman is the default font) OldTimer <OldTimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook: > How do I set up Times New Roman / 12 as the default font / size In which pane? Which version of Outlook? -- Brian Tillman ...

Running a report from a combo box?
I have a student database and I have a heap of queries setup that I run to create pivot charts but most of the data is from a yes/no check box so I'm able to get stats from it. What I want to do those is run reports from a combo box drop down menu that shows me the same data. For example I have a combo box with the home situation, you are able to choose for each student what there how situation is, I can then show this in a report again the child but I want to create a query like the other one's or a report that shows me the number of students and a break up of who has what ho...

Macrons
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I use macrons (e.g. M&amp;#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question marks (?) at the other end if the user is on a PC. <br><br>Macrons translate fine between PC and Mac when using WORD, the problem is only with Entourage. Is there a setting I migh missing? Any chance this issue could be resolved with Office 2008? On 2010-01-12 03:39:00 -0500, Dyanna@officeformac.com said: > When I use macrons (e.g. M&#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question > mark...

pc
vielleicht gehts jetzt wieder mama ...

ReAssign an account shares the account with the existing and new o
I have noticed that when an account is reassigned from one owner to another, it establishes a share between each of these parties. Is there a way of turning this option off. Thanks Kim Cannon Afraid not. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:39:03 -0800, "Kim Cannon" <KimCannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I have noticed that when an account is reassigned from one owner to another, it establishes a share between each of these parties. Is there a way of turning this o...

List Box + Sharepoint Navigation
lI have a master index spreadsheet with links to folders containing sharepoint folder names. For simplicity sake lets say that there are 2 columns in this spreadsheet. Column A has a description and Column B the sharepoint url. I would like to have a macro to: 1) create a list or combo box containing the values in Column A and allow the users to choose an item from the list 2) Open the corresponding Sharepoint folder so the user can select a file to open. 3) Kick off another macro that does some stuff that I already have completed. Your help is greatly appreciated. Than...

about data synchronization between pc and smartphone
I use eVC3/eVC4 to develop for smartphone platform. My desktop program saves/updates data into files on hard disk. On smartphone device,the program saves/updates data into ram or SD card. When the smartphone device connect PC,microsoft activeSync works.How do I keep data synchronization between pc and smartphone? Thanks. ___________________________________ http://www.msale.net/bbs a Chinese-language message board for developers,including palm,ppc,symbian,and etc. http://www.zirong.net/blog/ Miken's private life ...

Smartlist Builder Smartlist based on new View in SQL 2008 with GP
Hi there, I created one smartlist based on a view in SQL 2008. Smartlist is ok and working fine with my user id and sa. But when I give security access to other users, they can see the Smartlist Option but when they click it they get error message that don't have rights to one of the table used in this smartlist. I also have given them Grants through SQL Server. But no effect. What is the problem? Naseer, Check my article on the subject at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/12/smartlist-builder-security-for-sql.html. It explains an issue similar to the one you are havin...

Running projects in Office 2000 created in Office XP
I have a project that was created in Office Xp. Is there any way/conversion that I can run it in Office 2000...????? Hi Jeanfris (Jeanfris@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have a project that was created in Office Xp. Is there any || way/conversion that I can run it in Office 2000...????? What kind of project? What program did you use to create this "project" -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Keyboard shortcut to take cursor from QAT back to text?
I like to use the Alt+4, etc., to take the cursor from the text to select styles and fonts. But is there a keyboard shortcut to go back? Shft+F5 doesn't do it. The cursor should return to where you were in the document once you make your selection on the QAT. If you change your mind and do not want to make a change, pressing Esc will take you back to where you were. You may have to press Esc more than once. Cheryl On Dec 15, 7:28=A0pm, PRR <psaulm...@aim.com> wrote: > I like to use the Alt+4, etc., to take the cursor from the text to > select styles and fonts. ...