Internet Explorer

I am running Win XP 2 and have automatic upgrades ticked. IE upgraded to
8, then problems. I cannot open a MS window, try's to open but closes
half why through. Same when I try to open Win Media Player, opens but
when I click to play window closes.
Reverted back to IE 7 but problem remains.
Can open MS windows using Firefox but not media player.
Tried running IE diagnostics but problem remains.
Any-one any idea's? Its driving me crazy.

--
clanbull
clanbull's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165492.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
clanbull

clanbull wrote:
> I am running Win XP 2 and have automatic upgrades ticked. IE
> upgraded to 8, then problems. I cannot open a MS window, try's to
> open but closes half why through. Same when I try to open Win Media
> Player, opens but when I click to play window closes.
> Reverted back to IE 7 but problem remains.
> Can open MS windows using Firefox but not media player.
> Tried running IE diagnostics but problem remains.
> Any-one any idea's? Its driving me crazy.

Why still Service Pack 2?

Anyway - let's get some vital information and do some cleanup.

First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key.  Let go of both.  This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears.  When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab.  Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
   winver
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What exact version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy
to find out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press
and hold the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the
"ALT" key still pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.
That will bring up the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give
you the exact version you are using - repeat what you see there in
response to this message.

Now that some information has been given...

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you should install SP3, but not now.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up.  No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files.  It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about.  But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon.  When asked, select "RUN",
both times.  Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next".  Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next".  Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.  Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in Windows Firewall only.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/20/2009 1:35:58 PM
Ok. I do have service pack 3 but I do not have the 64-bit version of
WinXP.
It is Win Ver 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp-sp3_gdr 090804-1435:) Pack 3. c2007
MS.
Mem 1,047,908KB

IE ver 7.0.5730.13IC. Update Ver:0.

Operating Sys is; WinXP Home Edition, Ver2002 Ser Pk2.

I will now try what you suggest. Thanks so far.

--
clanbull
clanbull's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165492.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1284369.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
clanbull

error in script from internet explorer
when i use online help i cannot click a link without getting an error from I.E. concerning the script ...

Money 2004 internet update
My 2004 is not updating properly, infact not at all. When I press update now it will crash the program. My internet settings and bank setting are correct. This problem is only happening on my Dell computer running windows 2000. Ijust installed a new graphix card and I am running a dual monitor setup. It updated once after I installed the card then not again after that. I loaded the program on my laptop to test it and all features work fine. Are there any known issues in regards to graphix cards ore running in a dual monitor set up? Well... It is definatly the video card. I disabled ...

Install the internet pack for Internet Explorer
--sstgmprmnanztmshb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dyatvmthbtnsg"; type="multipart/alternative" --dyatvmthbtnsg Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fbkzxamyh" --fbkzxamyh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain ...

Internet Explorer
I am running Win XP 2 and have automatic upgrades ticked. IE upgraded to 8, then problems. I cannot open a MS window, try's to open but closes half why through. Same when I try to open Win Media Player, opens but when I click to play window closes. Reverted back to IE 7 but problem remains. Can open MS windows using Firefox but not media player. Tried running IE diagnostics but problem remains. Any-one any idea's? Its driving me crazy. -- clanbull ------------------------------------------------------------------------ clanbull's Profile: http://forums.techarena.i...

Internet Explorer Problem
I have a weird one that I haven't been able to solve and need some help. My Internet Explorer browser on my XP machine will not run in 'Admin' mode but runs fine in any of the user modes on the machine. I've done what I can to reset IE to original settings and no luck which leads to to believe that the program, in of itself, is okay but there's apparently some registry key I need to tweak to get it running again in Admin mode. If I boot up into a general user mode OR 'switch user', it's fine. So I'm hopeful that a MS engineer might see this and b...

Windows Vista
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I just saw a screen capture of what appears to be either Vista's Windows Explorer or Search Screen. Near the top of the 'screen' it says: Show Only: 'All' 'E-Mail' 'Document' 'Picture' 'Music' 'Other' What I want to know is how this affects e-mail. I currently use Outlook 2003 for e-mail and the PST file is password protected since more then one person uses the computer. As a result I obviously don't want my e-mail searched and displayed to anyone who just clicks on the &#...

Rmsnet and Internet order
It seems that information on this subject is hard to come by so I am hoping someone here has a little insight. Way back when, we used to use Quicksell 2000 for our brick and mortar POS. We also use Storefront V5 for our web store. SMSPOS used to host a server where we could export our Storefront orders in Yahoo XML format to a specific directory. This was done from within the Storefront software using the HTTP POST method. The XML was posted to an asp script which I suppose parsed the XML and created a file suitable for import into Quicksell. We would then connect to that server via a keystro...

Internet Facing Deployment (IFD) not facing the internet
I have microsoft sharepoint running with small business server 2007 on an application server. I'm trying to host Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Internet Facing Deployment (IFD). I've set up the DNS to point to the server where CRM is running on IIS I've opened up permissions for it in IIS The Firewall is as open as I can figure out to get it. Port forwarded and translated in the NAT policies I even set up a sub-domain on my domain provider to point to the the static IP And that static IP points to our private IP in the DNS(as stated above). I ran the IFD tool, I believe correctly, beca...

Millionaire at 31...on the internet #7
Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us for years to come as it is the first �Wave� of the NEW I...

Internet 7 to Internet 8
I am trying to convert Intert 7 to Internet 8 through Compatibility but I can't manage to make it work. Nick If you have Internet Explorer 7 then you can not "convert" it to To Internet Explorer 8. IE7 doesn't have any way to become something that wasn't invented when it was made. If you have Internet Explorer 8 you can use compatibility mode to display pages that worked with IE7 but won't in IE8. One caveat: If the page depends upon some feature of IE7 that was changed as a security vulnerability, compatibility mode will not re-enable the vul...

Internet Mail Archive
I can't seem to display the contents of my in and out IMC Archive folders. I checked the folder size and it is quite big. I already set my logging options to all none. Can I safely delete my archive folders and recreate them? TIA PeteD Hi Pete, The easiest way is to navigate to them in DOS and delete them. There is no problem with deleting the Archive folders. Hope this helps, -- Patrick Genova Pgenova@online.microsoft.com Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for Newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and co...

Problem With Internet Links
I have Outlook 2000-SP3 and Windows 2000-SP4. I used to be able to click on an Internet link included in an e-mail and my web browser would be launched. Now nothing happens when I click on an Internet link. Not sure if it is an Outlook problem but I thought I'd give it a try... Thanks for your suggestions. ---- tb Tiziano <nospam@example.com> wrote: > I used to be able to click on an Internet link included > in an e-mail and my web browser would be launched. > Now nothing happens when I click on an Internet > link. Try this: in Internet Explorer, click Tools>In...

Measuring Round-Trip Internet Email time
I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Windows 2000 SP4. I'm looking to measure roundtrip delivery time for an Internet email. Basically, I'd like to somehow have an email sent out to a foreign system, then come back into the Exchange system and have the round-trip time recorded. Is there an easy way to set this up? Or do I need foreign tools to do so? Thanks! There is no easy way to do this and there are lots of variables that you have no control over so would need to average the value over as large a number of emails as possible and include as many foreign systems as possible. Ultimately o...

Millionaire at 31 ... on the Internet!
Hello, My name is David Vouillamoz I was wondering if you would be interested in promoting Stephan Ducharme's brand new ebook just released this week ? It's titled "Millionaire at 31... on the Internet. Listen to how he's doing it" You could earn up to $70 a sale. 5 out of 100 readers purchase. Two-tier commissions: 40% to direct seller + 10% to sub-referrer. Everything is set up... tested solo ad, website, brandable e-book, you won't even need to place it on your server Just send out the pre-written solo ad with your affiliate link and that's it. Stepha...

FWD: Try this internet package from M$ Corporation
--ozdyqjjujl Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fynoxhmsmzmqkn"; type="multipart/alternative" --fynoxhmsmzmqkn Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pgyxatbcvclzegf" --pgyxatbcvclzegf Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to m...

new internet carrier & I can't make outlook work
switched internet carriers now have comcast.net cannot send or recieve Outlook e-mail Comcast e-mail works fine, but not on Craigs List In news:E1C044F1-3490-40C5-94CF-E1C997CCA5A2@microsoft.com, Quinton567 <Quinton567@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > switched internet carriers > now have comcast.net > cannot send or recieve Outlook e-mail > Comcast e-mail works fine, but not on Craigs List What does Craig's List (and web browsing) have to do with your email, or Outlook? Who hosts your email? Comcast? You need to make sure you use their server for your POP server...

internet
Is there any way to convert access objects (or tavles, relations and queries) to SQlite (or mSQL)? Tnx in advance, Alex ...

Internet Explorer Window Closes Automatically
Hi All, I have several end users that have their Internet Explorer close automatically everytime they try to access our CRM server. We've tried all of the following common suggestions: 1) Disable google/msn/IE popup blockers 2) Make sure that the IE Security settings are set to default 3) Add the CRM site to the list of 'Trusted' sites within IE. Anyone have any other ideas? Can you open by http://crmserver/loader.aspx If so, then pop-up blocker is the cause. Remember, that if they have XP SP2, then they probably have 2 blockers because now there is one built into IE....

Getting the Internet Cache (Temporary Internet Files) folder in MFC
Hi guys! Is there any way I could get the Internet Cache folder also known as the Temporary Internet Files folder from Visual C++/MFC ??? Regards, Mystique Sure. Try SHGetSpecialFolderLocation with CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE "Mystique" <misic@softhome.net> wrote in message news:O6QL5jRiFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi guys! > Is there any way I could get the Internet Cache folder also known as the > Temporary Internet Files folder from Visual C++/MFC ??? ...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
Last night I was going about my regular buisness of (after work) getting on and vegging in fron of my laptop while I watch TV. An update came around (mind you everything was working fine yesterday) which was: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB980182). Now for some reason I can't access yahoo.com or lotro.com? These two sites are the only ones that I can't seem to access for some reason? I have tried to search for malicious spyware and viruses nothing comes across (McAfee, and Malewarebytes) I have tried to System restore to a date I ...

Favicons in Internet Explorer
I've been searching, but can't find a good answer. What are the requirements for the favicon.ico icon for Internet Explorer across OS and browser versions? Microsoft states that it should include 16x16 and 32x32: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537656(VS.85).aspx#Create_the_Correct_Size_Icon Can anyone tell me about resolution support - 4bit or 8bit - across WinXP, Vista, Win7 etc? Hi, I have a folder of saved Favicons. The Favicon file for McAfee contains 9 icons: Three sizes: 16x16 32x32 48x48 Each of these sizes comes in 16 colors 256 colo...

Internet explorer is very slow in opening Excel Pivot Table lists
i created a small Pivot Table (using less than 1 MB of source data contained in the same file). i saved the file as a Web Page and opted for Pivot Table functionality for the Table. i was able to open the resultant htm file and navigate through the data pretty quickly and easily. The next day, i opened that same htm file, but this time MSIE was VERY slow. My CPU usage went up to a 100% for more than a minute before i got any response on my MSIE. Then i was able to navigate the data, but very slowly. MSIE would go into the "Not responding" mode. The htm file and the suppo...

internet
IM HAVING INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM WITH MY LAPTOP..IT SHOWS THE INTERNET IS CONNECTED AND RUNNING BUT I CANT BROWSE. IT DOESNT WORK @ ALL..WHAT CAN I DO? On 4/21/09 2:27 PM, "help on fixing my computer" <helponfixingmycomputer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > IM HAVING INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM WITH MY LAPTOP..IT SHOWS THE INTERNET > IS CONNECTED AND RUNNING BUT I CANT BROWSE. IT DOESNT WORK @ ALL..WHAT CAN I > DO? Shouting with all caps is rude! This list is for the discussion of Microsoft Office for Mac. Please ask your question on a list that discu...

Try on this internet pack that came from the MS
--korzzxeptfuu Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zhksepouhtxwpafy"; type="multipart/alternative" --zhksepouhtxwpafy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="rjbvsszci" --rjbvsszci Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to c...

Can you deploy internet facing CRM 4 on SBS?
At a CRM 4 briefing session I picked up that IFD required a separate server for authentication. I have a CRM 3 Small Business deployment on SBS 2003. Can I upgrade this to CRM 4 Workgroup edition on SBS 2003 and activate IFD - using just the one existing server? BillB Bill, I have IFD working against an SBS server with no issues. Jason Roy "BillB" <BillB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7696AAB8-CA82-4744-A297-9D29EECCE4AE@microsoft.com... > At a CRM 4 briefing session I picked up that IFD required a separate > server > for authentication. ...