installing service pack 3

I am trying to install service pack 3 from a disk  with windows xp and
internet explorer 7.  It goes through all the set up and then reboots, then I
get a message :

C:\WINXP\system32\cmd.exe
"The parameters are incorrect."

Any ideas?
--
momof3

momof3 wrote:
> I am trying to install service pack 3 from a disk  with windows xp
> and internet explorer 7.  It goes through all the set up and then
> reboots, then I get a message :
>
> C:\WINXP\system32\cmd.exe
> "The parameters are incorrect."
>
> Any ideas?

Assuming you mean "Windows XP Service Pack 3"...

Little late on the SP3 installation, eh?  ;-)

Here's my suggestion - it's a procedure, not a 'do this and try again, if
that doesn't work, do this and try again' - but a 'do this, this, this,
this, this and this and then try' thing.  Long, easy, but time consuming.
If nothing else, you will end up with a cleaner system and a lot of possible
issues will be eliminated.

First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key.  Let go of both.  This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears.  When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab.  Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

If there is, let everyone here know this and stop the quest - as you have no
SP3 for your operating system.

If there is not, let everyone here know this and continue the quest.

Next we will get the edition and version information...

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
   winver
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

Next question has to do with what type of computer you own and what type
of processor it has.  It's pretty straight forward: Is it an HP branded
computer and does it have an AMD processor installed?

If the answer to BOTH of those is YES, then you need to prevent a known
issue with that combination using the following instructions:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-60484-2

If the answer to EITHER of those is NO, then you are generally safe in
continuing on.  But either way - answer back here so everyone can know
what you are doing/what you have step-by-excruciating-step.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy to find
out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.   That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Let's look at your copy/license of Windows XP now - validate it if you
will.  Visit the following web site in Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
and locate/click on the "Start Diagnostics" blue button on the left side
of the web page.  Does everything pass?  If not - what are the diagnostic
steps they have you go through?

Next, download/run:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either Run or Save the tool. Choose to Run the
tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an Internet
Explorer-Security Warning dialog box for the Windows Genuine Advantage
Diagnostic Tool; you must choose to Run this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose Continue to run
the diagnostic report. If the RESOLVE button is available after running
the diagnostics, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to
attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the Windows tab and
then click on Copy.
2. Please return to this post and paste the results here for additional
review.

Now that we have some base information, let's cleanup and get ready to
install Windows XP SP3 onto your Windows XP system.

Reboot so you start with a fresh machine.  For everything here you will
need to logon as an user with administrative (installation) priviledges.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up.  No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files.  It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about.  But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon.  When asked, select "RUN",
both times.  Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next".  Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next".  Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.  Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Now for SP3...

Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.  There will be no
file size deviation - it is 316.4MB.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.  Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable.

Reboot when requested to do so.

Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes.

Reboot.

Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Business Portal Web Services
I am trying to setup the Microsoft Dynamics Security Synchronization Utility. I am adding a new application for the Web Services - Dynamics GP. How do I determine my Application Key ID? thanks gptech, thanks for using the newsgroups. In this case, the "Application Key" can be found in the web.config file in the installation directory for the GPWebServices. (Typically Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics GP\GPWebServices\WebServices.) Look for the "SecurityApplicationKey" setting. Unless something has been customized, the ID is likely this GUID: 25cc1a21-2cc4-4b13-a1...

RE-Installing

CreateSalesOrder Web Service returning exception
When attempting to create a new Sales Order via the CreateSalesOrder web service in GP 9, I receive the following error: -------------- Begin Error ------------------------ A validation exception has occurred. Validation Errors: - The U of M for the item is not specified in the item price list as the default selling U of M. - U of M does not exist for the Unit of Measure Schedule being used. - PriceListKey is blank. It must be passed in or a default must exist for the transaction. -------------- End Error ------------------------ If I specify a Unit of Measure for each SalesOrderLine,...

IMAP service failure
Hi I am using IMAP for mac clients. I have recently demoted thei mail server from being a DC (Yes I know it is not recommended) I have a problem now that IMAP has hung and will not respond to to either the services panel or command line I get The requested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service. I have checked the box to allow this service to interact with the desktop. Any suggestions? Is it related to permissions? Michael Anything relevant in App or Sys Event logs? michael wrote: > Hi > I am using IMAP for mac clients. > I have recently demoted thei mail server...

Value Pak Installer

Installation #4

Vista Ultimate, Invalid Disk Pack
Hi! A weird problem. I used to have 3 USB disks (dynamic GPT) running fine under Vista Ultimate. Then I made a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install. Noticing that it didn't recognise my disks (and other problems as well), I decided to go back to Vista Ultimate (using Windows.old). But now the original Vista Ultimate installation didn't recognise them either! They have status Invalid in Disk Management Console. DISKPART sees the disks, and also the partitions, but it doesn't appear to find any volumes. Any command I try to do returns the error message that it is no...

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

Can this be done? #3
Is it possible to move column B fields to the row with matching content in A From this: A B bananas yellow oranges candy pigs bananas cows blue candy blue red yellow To this: A B bananas bananas oranges pigs cows candy candy blue blue red yellow yellow Regards Mike I'd insert a new column B (shifting column B to column C), then use a formula like this in B1: =if(isnumber(match(a1,c:c,0)),a1,na()) and drag down as far as you want. Then Select column B edit|c...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL SPELL CHECK?
Go to www.c360.com. You can download a small spellcheck "add-on" that works with iespell. It's free and it works well. Regards, John ...

Excel won't start after install
After installing office XP excell goes through the motions but never actually starts...help Jon, Try the following: Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010701c3aad2$20f75500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing office XP excell goes through the > motions but never actually starts...help ...

installing updates. Never ends
when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says do not turn off computer.\\ well what do I do when the update never ends? TIA Snooky wrote: > when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates > and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. > > I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says > do not turn off computer.\\ > > well what do I do when the...

Excel 2003 installation error
I have been using my PC with excel program for 3 years and when I tried to open an excel spreadsheat today and it would not open. "Installation error: file not found" appeared. File not found was SKU011.CAB and I have not been able to reinstall as I don't have the installation CD as I bought the PC second hand with programs on it. Can anyone help? If you have access to another computer you could save the file from one computer to a disc and copy it in to the appropriate file folder in the computer with the error. "derk22" wrote: > I have been using my PC wit...

Office 2004 Mac install issue
Hi, Just visited a client with the following setup: 1 x brand new G5 iMac running Mac OS 10.4 1 x 2nd hand eMac 1 x copy of teacher version (3 licences) of Office 2004 Mac. The install on the iMac was faultless. The eMac is a different issue. As it was 2nd Hand we restored it to "out of the box" with the supplied DVD's (no old data remained on the machine). That brought it to 10.3.9. we then upgraded it to 10.4 using a fresh copy bought by the client. Trying to install Office the following happened. Using the setup assistant, the first screen was OK (telling us to be logge...