IE8 won't open

I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.

Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does,
it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.

Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
must reset it usually each time.

Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
suggestions.

0
Jim

Jim wrote:
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.=20
> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>=20
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it =
does,=20
> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>=20
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and=
 I=20
> must reset it usually each time.
>=20
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting =

> suggestions.

Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may not
be showing accurate results.

Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

If they can't get control, try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and then in
regular mode.

If still no luck, do this:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list=
/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo
2/4/2010 9:01:18 PM
the browser can be tested
via safe mode w/networking.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message news:#RnhUhdpKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does, it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I must reset it usually each time.
>
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting suggestions.

0
db
2/4/2010 9:21:30 PM
Great advice Elmo, the malwarebytes did the job. IE8 now opens just fine.
Many thanks to all.

"Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
Jim wrote:
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it
> does,
> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
> must reset it usually each time.
>
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
> suggestions.

Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may not
be showing accurate results.

Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes� Corporation

[...]

Joe   =o)

0
Jim
2/5/2010 12:28:56 AM
"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in

> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro
> computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show
> anything.

<SNIP>

IE not opening is not a problem, it's a blessing.

You won't like this question any more than the statement above,
but why do you use 2 fairly good (but finicky and imperfect) and
two terrible and dangerous browsers instead of Opera?

NO ONE needs FOUR browsers, let alone the 4 YOU have chosen.

In case you care, I use Opera and OffByOne. Haven't used IE/OE
since the late 90's. Maybe that's why I have never gotten any
malware on my system.

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.
Jim wrote:
> Great advice Elmo, the malwarebytes did the job.  IE8 now opens just fi=
ne.=20
> Many thanks to all.

Great news!  Thanks for reporting back with your solution.

> "Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message=20
> Jim wrote:
>> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
>> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>>
>> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it=
=20
>> does,
>> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>>
>> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off an=
d I
>> must reset it usually each time.
>>
>> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting=

>> suggestions.
>=20
> Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may no=
> be showing accurate results.
>=20
> Download, install, update and run these:
>=20
> Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
>=20
> SuperAntispyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
>=20
> If they can't get control, try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and then in
> regular mode.
>=20
> If still no luck, do this:
>=20
> Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
> (using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
> BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
> you think that's the problem:
>=20
> http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-li=
st/
>=20
> Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available=
,
> (though no .exe is available for BitDefender).
>=20
> After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
> quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
> quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
> exiting.

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo

Opening a file using wildcard characters
When I try opening a file, I get We moved from Windows NT to Windows 2000. When I try using *.* as filename when trying to open a file, I get the error: 'You do not have access to the folder' error. Never happened on NT. Does not happen when I use Excel 2000. I have Excel 97, SR2 alongwith Windows 2000. ...

Form Opening with Blank Column(s)
I have created a couple applications that are working well on our remote access server, Access 2003. However, when I have people put the application on there standard desktop on the network, one or more columns appear blank when the form is opened in Access 2003. Any ideas why the data retrieval or function would change between our server addition of Access vs client workstations? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I have one user in my organization that is experiencing this problem also. The problem started the week of the 25th of February. The user could not give me a ...

how do you open a pub file
how do you open a pub file With Publisher? "bp" <bp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:8C6F34FE-2A92-4FAC-B551-5C1247E71EAE@microsoft.com... > how do you open a pub file If somebody is sending you a Publisher file, and you do not have MS Publisher, you have a choice.. you can buy Publisher or ask for the sender to convert the file to .pdf format which can then be read with Adobe Acrobat Reader.. do a Google search if you do not already have Adobe Reader.. it is a free download.. -- Mike Hall MVP - Windows Shell/User "If hard work were such a w...

open word file
Hi i would like to open word file using getopenfilename by using excel macro and copy the data to excel file. Sub test() Dim appWD As Word.Application Dim appWDS As Word.Document Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application.8") appWD.Visible = True filetoopen = Word.Application.GetOpenFilename("All Files (*.*),*.*") Workbooks.Open filetoopen end sub Here you go. This works. It's not exactly like your code, but you get the idea. The "text to be pasted" should be replaced with text from your Excel file. Let me know if you need help getting...

problems opening excel shared workbook
the following error messages are occurring one after the other on opening the file i.e cancel one message or Ok the message and the next nmessage appears the file is locked try again later cannot be accessed. the file maybe read only or you may be trying to access a read only location or the server the document is stored on may not be responding file is locked in order to save changes to the file you may either close the file before making any changes and then reopen it. use file save as (file menu) to save the file under a new file name or turn off shared workbook and then save the...

Command button opening new window
Within my main form, I have command buttons that run query searches that open a new window based on the search information I input. It always opens in a new window, and also leaves the main form open. Is it possible to have the search opened in the same window? Thanks! Not really. A Sekect query opens as a datasheet form. You could create a subform on your main form and make the record source of the sub form the query you are running. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Shari" wrote: > Within my main form, I have command buttons that run query searches that open > ...

cant open '99 file in '04
I can't get my file from money '99 to open in Money '04. I get the message: "Money can not locate c:\( . . . )\my documents\ my moneyor can not open it, possibly because it is read only, or you have no permission to change it, or drive is write protected." Its not read only. I've reloaded '99 and open it. Any ideas out there? thanks Maybe this FAQ, soon to be up on the web, will help: --- Q): I thought Money files were supposed to be upward compatible. How come Money[new] crashes when upgrading my Money[old] data file? [Relevant to Money2003 (v.11) an...

Outlook only opens in safemode
Hello, Recenlty I installed Outlook 2007 trial, not knowing that it would replace my current version Outllook 2002. The new version was locking up on me so I uninstalled it an reinstalled v2002. 2002 doesn't open but gives me the familiar Microsoft Outlook has encountered an error and needs to close message. So I need to Send the error to Microsoft and given an option to open in Safemode. Safemode works, ok, but I can't save my options. I uninstalled Office 2007, tried repairing and reinstalling Office 2002, then I uninstalled and uninstalled Outlook2002. Does anyone have ...

unable to open MS Outlook 2002
The following error was received when I attempted to open my MS Outlook 2002, can you help? "Unable to open your default e-mail folder an unexpected error has occurred. MAPI was unable to load the information service gwmsp1.dll. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured." ...

Outlook 2002 opens IE when viewing hotmail folders
I'm at a loss with this one. There are 4 computers at my location. All of them are running XP Professional and Office XP Professional with Frontpage. All the latest updates and service packs (except XP SP2) have been applied to all of the installations. All of the installations use internet only email setup (no MS Exchange) and all of the installations have at least one hotmail account setup. The problem is that on two of the computers, when ever a hotmail folder is accessed, it displays the items in Outlook but also opens up an instance of Internet Explorer that displays the same item...

Stop opening multiple versions of Excel when click on xls files
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel and opens the file. However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up a new instance of Excel. So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running simultaneously. It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in question once Excel is already opened, etc. Any ideas? Thanks. On Jun 28, 2:55 pm, ste...

Can't open Pub 2003 files in Pub 2007
Hi I've installed the 2007 Office Beta with the Technical Refresh. I am unable to open files created in Publisher 2003. BUT this only happens on one machine. Another machine with the same installation can open the files no problem. I've run the Office Diagnostics but all checked out ok. any suggestions? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033...

Help needed with opening an Excel file from an embedded excel application.
Hello, I have a SDI MFC application that uses the following code to create an empty embedded excel 2003 application: (Extracted from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311546) void CEmbed_ExcelView::EmbedAutomateExcel() { //Change the cursor so that the user knows that something exciting is going //on. BeginWaitCursor(); CEmbed_ExcelCntrItem* pItem = NULL; TRY { //Get the document associated with this view, and be sure that it is //valid. CEmbed_ExcelDoc* pDoc = GetDocument(); ASSERT_VALID(pDoc); //Create a new item associated with this document, and be sure that //it is val...

Mac Excel 2008 breaking links when opening Windows 2003 spreadsheet?
Version: 2008 Hi, <br><br>I have a spreadsheet created with Windows Excel 2003. When it is opened with Mac 2008, some of the links in the spreadsheet become broken. Not all of the links, only a few. The spreadsheet has multiple pages, and the page name is stripped out of the links by Mac 2008. This makes this not clickable. Any Ideas? Does the service pack 1 fix this problem? <br><br>Thanks. "Service pack 1"??? That would be the 12.1.x level. If you're still running vintage Office 2008 (12.0.x) it's a wonder any of it is working properly :...

OWA Issues not opening
Hi We have a server with Windows server 2000 and Exchange 2003 loaded I am having issues with the Staff OWA... when they try to open server\exchange they get asked for a password..... they enter the correct password but it keeps asking for a password and refuses them entry. When I log on to my PC as domain Admin can open the Admin OWA folder but the staff cannot any Ideas thanks Try posting to microsoft.public.exchange.clients as OWA is a part of Exchange, not Outlook, despite its confusing name. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discuss...

Why can't I open two files with the same name
I have two files: c:\temp\fred.xls f:\course\grades\fred.xls When I try to open them side by side for comparison purposes, Excel says I can't do that, EVEN if they are in different folders. Doesn't Excel use path names as part of the file name??? What's going on here? How can I fix it? TIA Hi this is just an Excel restriction. No way around it "gfhasman" wrote: > I have two files: > c:\temp\fred.xls > f:\course\grades\fred.xls > > When I try to open them side by side for comparison purposes, Excel says I > can't do that, EVEN if ...

I Visual Basic Error "File Not Found" when Excel opens
Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then a window pops up asking me if I want...

writing Great Plains open orders into UPS program
I need to import the open sales order information into the UPS program. Has anyone done something like this before? This is a one time thing. ups have an ecommerce group that can help you with mapping the fields into their system. you can download files fro mtheir website according to your needs. in our case we upload their files to GP. -- http://ddelprado.blogspot.com "Jack Tundra" wrote: > I need to import the open sales order information into the UPS program. Has > anyone done something like this before? This is a one time thing. > > > thank you &qu...

Outlook New Profile without opening mail icon from control panel. #2
Hello team, I am trying to create a new profile without opening control panel. In fact, I do not have privileges to open the control panel. Even I do not have privileges to open any .cpl file from windows\system32 folder. Whenever I try to open any cpl file, it gives me following error message: "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" However, I want to create a new profile for Outlook, as my old profile is corrupted and I am unable to configure email account in the same profile. (Exchange email acc...

Can't open outlook 2000 .pst file with outlook 2003
I have a bunch of emails and contact info on a desktop that I want to transfer to my laptop. I tried to copy the outlook.pst file and open that with outlook 2003 and I get an error saying that the file is not a .pst file (which it is since I can open it with outlook 2000). Is there a conversion that I have to run the file through? Any ideas? No conversion necessary. How did you "try to copy" this file? It appears you corrupted it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a3801c3e034$c2784910$a001280a@ph...

outlook attachment opens system32 folder
I have a user who uses Outlook 2000 with every service pack and update out there. When he tries to open 2 particular attachments that are sent to him daily, the system 32 folder opens, but not the attachment. He can not save the attachments either. ...

Outlook 2000 faills to open
I recently picked to change from a user group of Outlook to the stand alone and ever since has not been able to use outlook. I get the message cannot open outlook.exe and will be closed. Error log generated. Don't know what to do. Please help! I have tried reinstalling componets and that has not changed anything. Thanks for your help ...

Problems Opening Explorer.exe from VBScript
I wrote the following script a couple of years back and just revisited it. While explorer opens, it fails to open to the designated folder. Exploer only opens to root C:\ sub openFolder (target) Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") objShell.Run "explorer.exe /e " & targetFolder Set objShell = Nothing end sub I've also tried explicity stating the path to no avail. sub openFolder (target) Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") objShell.Run "explorer.e...

Word bug: http hyperlinks to pdf docs open in IE, not default browser
In Word 2003 SP3, hyperlinks to PDF documents open in Internet Explorer, even though IE is not the system default browser. An adjacent hyperlink to a ".html" file in the same Word document opens in Firefox, as appropriate. This is a duplicate of an unresolved bug from Word 2002, reported here (as one of many archives for this group) http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31307531/word-bug--http-hyperlink.aspx Have you been into Control Panel | Program and Features | Turn Windows features on or off and disabled IE? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "WBT"...

Wierd IE8 problem
Hi I'm using Windows 7 / IE8. My Fathers computer also uses this setup. When I view a particular web page, I see about 8 tabs on the web page. When viewing the same web page, my Father does not see the 8 tabs. He sees the information contained in seperate sections one after the other (not in tabs) and also not all of the links work. We are both using the same version of IE8. All settings in advanced options are identical. The only difference between the 2 machines is that my PC was preinstalled with Windows 7 whilst my Fathers PC was pre installed with Vista and then ...