IE8 won't open

I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.

Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does,
it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.

Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
must reset it usually each time.

Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
suggestions.

0
Jim

Jim wrote:
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.=20
> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>=20
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it =
does,=20
> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>=20
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and=
 I=20
> must reset it usually each time.
>=20
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting =

> suggestions.

Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may not
be showing accurate results.

Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

If they can't get control, try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and then in
regular mode.

If still no luck, do this:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list=
/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo
2/4/2010 9:01:18 PM
the browser can be tested
via safe mode w/networking.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message news:#RnhUhdpKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does, it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I must reset it usually each time.
>
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting suggestions.

0
db
2/4/2010 9:21:30 PM
Great advice Elmo, the malwarebytes did the job. IE8 now opens just fine.
Many thanks to all.

"Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
Jim wrote:
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it
> does,
> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
> must reset it usually each time.
>
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
> suggestions.

Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may not
be showing accurate results.

Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes� Corporation

[...]

Joe   =o)

0
Jim
2/5/2010 12:28:56 AM
"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in

> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro
> computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show
> anything.

<SNIP>

IE not opening is not a problem, it's a blessing.

You won't like this question any more than the statement above,
but why do you use 2 fairly good (but finicky and imperfect) and
two terrible and dangerous browsers instead of Opera?

NO ONE needs FOUR browsers, let alone the 4 YOU have chosen.

In case you care, I use Opera and OffByOne. Haven't used IE/OE
since the late 90's. Maybe that's why I have never gotten any
malware on my system.

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.
Jim wrote:
> Great advice Elmo, the malwarebytes did the job.  IE8 now opens just fi=
ne.=20
> Many thanks to all.

Great news!  Thanks for reporting back with your solution.

> "Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message=20
> Jim wrote:
>> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
>> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>>
>> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it=
=20
>> does,
>> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>>
>> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off an=
d I
>> must reset it usually each time.
>>
>> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting=

>> suggestions.
>=20
> Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may no=
> be showing accurate results.
>=20
> Download, install, update and run these:
>=20
> Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
>=20
> SuperAntispyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
>=20
> If they can't get control, try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and then in
> regular mode.
>=20
> If still no luck, do this:
>=20
> Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
> (using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
> BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
> you think that's the problem:
>=20
> http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-li=
st/
>=20
> Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available=
,
> (though no .exe is available for BitDefender).
>=20
> After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
> quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
> quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
> exiting.

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo

Others receive Path Error when opening a Spread Sheet that is Update Data on Open"
I have excel doc that is automatically updating on open from an Access DB. All are shared on a network. It works fine for me but other users get an invalid path error that refers to C:\... (etc) . Where is the defulet that Excel automatically extracts this from because it is totally eronious Additionally they get a Jet path dialog box that is listing an eronious path too. AKK.. Help! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Trouble opening .xls files
I have heaps of .xls files but now Excel has difficulty opening files that have spaces in the file name/path. Example: - If I try to open an xls with the path C:\documents and settings\f arthur\my documents\spread sheet.xls I start recieving the following: - can't find file name "C:\documents" I then retry and recieve can't find filename "C:\documents and" it does this all the way through the spaces till it gets to the file extension .xls and only then opens it. I can't think of anything more to try and have many files to rename without spaces :o( d...

emails are being deleted after I open them
If I open an email and want to respond at a later time; when I close it, it disappears. It is not in my deleted files. This is something new in the last week or so. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00E3_01C7631F.5FDF3C70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Check your VIEW for a FILTERED VIEW. Select VIEW on your Outlook menu. Select ARRANGE BY Select CURRENT VIEW Then be sure that the MESSAGES view is selected. Did this help? Nikki Peterson "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

Network drive disappears when opening publisher document #2
Windows 2003 SBS server, active directory domain, Windows XP Pro client, Microsoft Office Pro 2003. I have a user who had a Microsoft Publisher document he was working on. He has been storing it on a mapped network drive and opening it from there. However, a couple days ago for some reason, whenever he tried to open the document directly from the network drive, his computer was completely losing the drive to the point that I, as the network admin, had to go and remove his computer from the domain and add it back again to even see the network share. If he copies the document to his local driv...

Cannot open .mdb file by double click when another user has opened
Hi, Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our team and we could edit it at one time. After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages. But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and after that will open .md...

opening sent items archive
Can somebody please tell me how to open the archived sent items file?????? I have found the large achive file but I dont know how to open/retrieve it. There is a sent item back in February that I need to sned again !!!! Many thanks. MKL >-----Original Message----- >Can somebody please tell me how to open the archived sent >items file?????? I have found the large achive file but I >dont know how to open/retrieve it. There is a sent item >back in February that I need to sned again !!!! Many >thanks. MKL >. > This is what i think it is. If you get a me...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

Creating email that arrives already open.
I am trying to create an email with graphics/pics. and charts that when sent will arrive already opened, like the page of a magazine. Not have the receipent have to open a file to see the message. If I need a special program to do this, what is the name? -- Ted In Outlook, Insert - Picture - From File will do it. "Ted" <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF5694E7-54E1-4022-93D3-F6EDBEC39102@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create an email with graphics/pics. and charts that when sent > will arrive already opened, like the page of a magazine. ...

Date format Workbooks Open
I have an application which saves the output to .xls format. If I open the file from Excel, I get the Text Import Wizard. There is a date/time column in format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm However, If I use Application.Workbooks.Open to open the file, the date/time column is in format dd/mm/yy hh:mm ie the yyyy is shortened to 2 digits. Manually clicking into a cell and pressing enter updates the cell, as does Text to Columns. I have recorded some code to use Data>Text to Columns, but running the code does nothing. If the dates are in column L, the code is as follows: ...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Opening mutiple folders...
Is it possible to open mutiple folders at one time in seperate windows?... Example: I would like to open my Inbox but also like to open and display Sent Messages at the same time time... Not directly. But you can go to Edit, Find Message (Ctrl+Shift+F) and find messages in another folder. You can choose criteria that would find all messages. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "hsnp" <hsnp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D13CBE0D-366D-4CFD-A418-1F01BBC7D33C@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to open mutiple folders at one time...

Excel 2003 open slow only with domain accounts
If i logon locally on my PC all works fine. If i logon in my pc with user a domain account excel (only it!, word, access and others work fine)takes 1-2 min (splash screen) before open (i set it to open no documents on startup but is the same). I try to delete temporary files and to set up a default printer...nothing. Domain is 2003 (only 1 domain,1 tree, 1 forest) client is an XP (sp1 installed) Any idea? ...

Open Relay DataBase
Is there a way to use the ORDB.ORG Open Relay DataBase in Exchange 2003? "Keith Eaton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to use the ORDB.ORG Open Relay DataBase in >Exchange 2003? Take a look at the Connection filtering tab of the message delivery object. You can enter 1 (in this release) entry there. Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm & http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm I placed relays.ordb.org in the connection filter/block list service organization, is this what ...

Spreadsheets have to be open twice to view #2
Every spreadsheet that I double-click to open only opens Excel, but the background is gray. From here I have to open the spreadsheet from within Excel. Is there a global option that can correct this? ...

Problem opening up project solution with SSMS 2008R2
I have several 2005 SQL Projects saved in Visual Source Safe and when I try to open with SSMS 2008 R2, I get a Class Not Registered error. I went under tools>options to make sure things looked right there. I have received two different error. 1) Class not registered 2) The located assembly manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. I also tried adding a new SQL project and it did nothing. ...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

HOW TO DO -INPUT FORM WHERE DROP DOWN LISTS OPEN OTHER LISTS TO SE
Inputters need to put in their time and select what they worked on, witch can start out with one type, then tree down to more specific types they must select. An example is at: http://www.accessmvp.com/Arvin/Combo.zip It uses listboxes but the code is the same. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "tnahowru" <tnahowru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24CFD905-A4F3-4B5D-81FE-2704B8BB6FA5@microsoft.com... > Inputters need to put in their time and select what they worked on, witch > can...

Opening and Reading the locked files
Hi I need to backup some of the locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

excell not able open
hi not able to open my excell worksheet password protect how to acess it thank you ss On Aug 3, 1:08=A0pm, "ss" <dp_sto...@sembship.com> wrote: > hi > =A0 =A0 not able to open my excell worksheet password protect > =A0 =A0 how to acess it > > thank you > =A0ss A CRM forum is probably not the best place to ask. However, google/ bing excel password and you will find lots of inexpensive password crackers. Some even give you the first few characters, which may be enough. Leon Tribe Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog htt...

Problem opening attachments
When I receive an email with an exe attachment I cannot open it. I have changed the settings in Outlook public folders to allow exe files and what not and this does seem to be taking effect somewhat. Without the change I cannot get access to the email. By changing the appropriate access level I can get it to prompt me to save or open according to the access I set. Problem is when I set it to open it goes through all the motions and then gives me an error. The following error is logged in the event viewer. Access to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\...

Opening Report Manager from anything besides localhost gives error
I've never noticed this before, but if I try to go to http:\\crmserver\ReportManager I get a 403.6 error: "Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected". However, http:\\localhost\ReportManager works when I'm on the server. My Crystal Reports SW works fine, and once I'm in Report Manager it appears to work fine. What did i do wrong? ...

CAN I OPEN A PUBLISHER 95 DOCUMENT IN PUBLISHER 98 VERSION
CAN I OPEN A PUBLISHER 95 DOCUMENT IN PUBLISHER 98 VERSION SHONA wrote: > CAN I OPEN A PUBLISHER 95 DOCUMENT IN PUBLISHER 98 VERSION Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. If you're having problems, ditch NAV. -- In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/ (1) Lower your caps. It's considered rude, as if you are shouting. (2) Have you tried? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "SHONA" <SHONA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E42036DF-1475-437E-9D3D-4A4B98...