Glitch while updating

My daughter's computer was recently doing an update.  We were at the point
where the computer was rebooting and had the screen "do not turn off your
computer, updating......" etc.  Unfortunately, our ISP went out at that
time, and the computer was left in that limbo for over 24 hours.  I finally
just hit the power button to turn it off, and now when we turn it on it is
in a continual loop of rebooting itself.  I've tried putting in the Windows
disk and it reads it okay, and will get so far to reinstall, but then it
does the same thing and reboots itself.

I don't know what to try at this point.  I'd really like to not lose
everything on her hard drive if possible.  Any suggestions welcome.

--
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure
Island, and, best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5245 (20100702) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Jamie

Jamie W wrote:
> My daughter's computer was recently doing an update.  We were at the
> point where the computer was rebooting and had the screen "do not turn
> off your computer, updating......" etc.  Unfortunately, our ISP went out
> at that time, and the computer was left in that limbo for over 24
> hours.  I finally just hit the power button to turn it off, and now when
> we turn it on it is in a continual loop of rebooting itself.  I've tried
> putting in the Windows disk and it reads it okay, and will get so far to
> reinstall, but then it does the same thing and reboots itself.
>
> I don't know what to try at this point.  I'd really like to not lose
> everything on her hard drive if possible.  Any suggestions welcome.

Tap or the F8 key when the computer is booting up (after the BIOS POST
routine, just before Windows starts to load) and access the Advanced
boot menu and try booting to the Last Known Good Configuration.  Also,
at that Advanced Boot Option screen, select the option to "Disable
automatic restart on system failure", this will cause the computer to
halt on a blue screen (if it is blue screening) and you might be able to
get useful information from the bugcheck error message.

John
0
John
7/2/2010 1:18:10 PM
Jamie W wrote:
> My daughter's computer was recently doing an update.  We were at the
> point where the computer was rebooting and had the screen "do not
> turn off your computer, updating......" etc.  Unfortunately, our ISP
> went out at that time, and the computer was left in that limbo for
> over 24 hours.  I finally just hit the power button to turn it off,
> and now when we turn it on it is in a continual loop of rebooting
> itself.  I've tried putting in the Windows disk and it reads it okay,
> and will get so far to reinstall, but then it does the same thing and
> reboots itself.

Please describe the "Windows disk." Is it an actual Windows XP
installation CD (and if so, what SP level?) or something else?

What does the phrase "will get so far to reinstall" mean? What exactly
did you do? Were you trying to use the Recovery Console? Were you trying
to perform a Repair Install? Please include as many details as possible
in your next post.

0
Daave

An After DST Glitch
Before I made any changes to my Exchange 2003 organization for the new DST I had a Mailbox Policy set to run against the users Deleted Items folder. I would get an email in my Inbox every morning to let me know the results of this nightly policy being run. After I applied the DST patches and ran the Rebasing Tool I am no longer getting these mails. Can anyone tell me what would be a good course of action to take? I didn't make any changes to the organization other than what was necessary to update the DST. I can see my email address still listed to send me the results of th...

Word/Excel sluggish after SP1 update
Is anyone else experiencing a lag in Word and Excel since updating Office 2008 to SP1? I get the spinning beach ball often and it's making it hard to use either one of these apps. Before SP1 both Word and Excel were very fast. ...

IMF updates #2
Hi there How is the IMF filter updated? When does this happen? We have had support email going through it OK, but now it's stopped arriving in the correct public folder and is found in the spam archive and we were wondering if the IMF has had an update that has changed things. Thanks, Neal "Neal" <neal_@_ap0yar_dot_co_dot_nz> wrote in message news:neal_@_ap0yar_dot_co_dot_nz: > Hi there > > How is the IMF filter updated? When does this happen? > > We have had support email going through it OK, but now it's stopped > arriving > in the c...

Inventory Update #2
Is there a way to replace item quantities for all stores in HQ and then download those changes to the stores? Reason is....we don't use RMS for inventory control so our purchase orders, transfers, etc. are done in a separate system and downloaded to the stores. Before installing HQ, I would accomplish this by using the Inventory Wizard and replacing old quantities with new ones from a .csv file I created. This was okay but needed to be done at each store and I was hoping that HQ would have a better solution. Krista, Are you talking about setting the entire store's onhands to...

VB updates in form field not updated in tables
I encounter some new problems with my application. There are two table: proposal ad proposal details. I have a form showing the details of the proposal and a subform with the proposal details in list form. When updating the volume of one record, I update the total sales field using a field after update VB script. A first challenge is to find a way to force the update of the underlying table without using the Refresh or recalc mothod. Using these methods makes the current record jump to the first record. Not acceptable as user experience. Next step is that I in the same after upd...

Update Documentation First then deploy Payroll Tax Update!!
Could you please update your documentation before adding a payroll tax update to the automatic update feature!? Last night I check your update page and it only showed the 2007 Round 5 payroll update so I ran the automatic update process. Well it seem that you decided to deploy the 2008 update without telling anyone you were doing it. So now I wait for support to get me a script to fix "my mistake". That is the last time I trust Microsoft GP!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote fo...

Updating Worksheet from Userform TextBoxes
I have a userform with 15 textboxes on it. I'm looking for help t update a cell on the worksheet using the data from the first populate textbox (in some cases only 1 textbox will be populated, in others i could be 10 or more boxes which are populated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you name your textboxes consecutively (textbox1, ..., textbox15), it makes life a little easier: Option Explicit Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim iCtr As Long For iCtr = 1 To 15 If Trim(Me.Controls("textbox" & iCtr).Text) = "" Then ...

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Glitch
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor does not complete due to missing WUA (Windows Update Agent). How may I download and install WUA in order to complete the process. Based upon my limited expertise I am not able to find an appropriate site for the WUA installation. Please try not to be too complicated. Thanks in advance for your consideration. Are you currently running WinXP SP3 & is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update? Is Automatic Updates enabled & working? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti...

Windows 7 update nightmare
I finally updated from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, as an upgarde rather than a new installation, on my new Acer desktop OK, but it was a hassle. I ran the Upgrade Advisor and it said to uninstall ATI Install Manager and re-install it after the upgrade, and to uninstall Canon Easy Photo-Printer which was not compatible. So I did. Ran the Upgrade Advisor again and those problems were gone. Ran the upgrade Windows7 media disk and after waiting for the compatibility section to do its thing up it came saying that those two applications were still problems. Trying to bypass them o...

update label on form from within class file
Hi, Can anyone please help me? I'm building I small tool to process some files in a directory. I've created a class file and added the process to the class-file. When clicking on a button on the form, I create an object of the class and start the process by calling the methode... On my form, I would like a label that shows the filename of the file currenly be processed. I've tried raising an event form within the class but that forces the process to stop after the first occurens... Does aynone have an idea on how to update a label on a form from within an...

Can I show date of last update?
Is it possible to have a field that automatically shows the date when the sheet was last updated, ie, when any field contents have been changed? (Apologies if this question is repeated. I posted it yesterday, but it was not in the 'date/Excel' search list today.) There are three replies to your earlier post. There is a better way to write and read posts... http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/ or http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Program...

Automatic Update Service won't start since xp x64 repair install
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with this prob that has me stumped. I recently did a repair install of XP x64, and since then the Auto Update Service won't start. When I run services.msc and try to manually start it I get, "The automatic updates service failed to start due to the following error: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service." It shows Error 1508. BITS and RPC were already running and properly configured. I downloaded and installed the Windows Update Agent and rebooted. No joy. Regis...

Money Updates error
I am getting the same error a few others have mentioned, when using Internet Update on Money 2004 Deluxe. My bank accounts and news update fine, but I get the following error under Money Updates: "An unknown error has occurred. Please try the operation again. If problem persists, reinstall Money from your original disks." Like others who tried, reinstalling doesn't help. Clearing the cache didn't help for me. Has anyone heard anything more from Microsoft? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Peter wrote: >I am getting the same error a few others have mentio...

Applying the Year End Update
I noticed that the documention for the Year-End Update indicates that you can apply the update prior to completing all of the payrolls for the year (but you have to apply it before creating the Year-End Wage file). Can anyone confirm that this is in fact true? Has anyone had any problems applying the update in advance? I seem to recall in the past having to wait until all payrolls were done for the year. Thanks. The update usually just deals with last-minute changes by the IRS, etc. for changing the forms or computations in the yearly compliance reporting. It is perfectl...

Anoying Excel 2007 glitch
I tried to program a macro to open an online spreadsheet called http://88.208.xxx.xxx/hello.csv via VBA i.e I tried to use the proper IP address rather than the domain address www.xxxx.com/hello.csv. This worked fine when I wasn't using VBA in 2007. Worked fine in VBA in 2003. Unlike 2003, 2007 VBA gave a 'could not open' error message before going on to open the file . What's really annoying though is that now, even though I deleted the VBA command and replaced the IP address with the domain name, EVERY TIME I open 2007, it STILL gives me an error message telling me it...

Update Max value
I wish to update the value in cell A3 from the maximum of the input update to cell A1 or cell A2 or the previous cell A3 value . I use the formula =MAX(A1,A2,A3) but it is not working. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob If you put that formula in cell A3, you will create a circular reference, the formula is referencing the cell that contains the formula. Try putting in A4 or some other cell =MAX(A1,A2,A3) or =MAX(A1:A3) -- Regards Roger Govier "BobB" <bobb001@comcast.net> wrote in message news:c7idnfuXXZVAP2XZnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@comcast.com... >I wish to u...

KB979906
I have been trying to download an important update, for a few days, on my home computer and each time (which has been several), I've attempted the download... It has been unsuccesful. Please Assists. KB979906 Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows Vista and Windows Server (2008) KB979906 "ChubbyQban" wrote: > I have been trying to download an important update, for a few days, on my > home computer and each time (which has been several), I've attempted the > download... It has been unsuccesful. > > Please ...

Logging an update
The other day some real great people gave me some code to enter "NOW" in a cell when the cell is double clicked. It kind of works, but not exactly like I need. I need for the code to insert the current date and time in cell $A$1 when the cell is double clicked, regardless of what is already in that cell. The code is put in the Workbook module because it effects more than one sheet. The code I have follows: Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target _ As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Address = "$A$1" And...

this folder has not yet been updated
I removed a profile in outlook 2003 and then wen to add it back in. After I did that and resetup the email account with the exchange server. there was no email and all I get is this "this folder has not yet been updated" in the lower right corner and an error stating "Task 'Micsosoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80040107): 'Could not open the item. Try again.'" when I do a asend/recieve. All the emai lis there when I log in to webmail. ...

Too many problems while updating information online
Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money 2007 Deluxe - ING Direct - Bestbuy Card (HSBC) - MBNA - Bank of America This is frustrating!! Anyone else with the same problems? Just keep trying, eventually it will work. If you're in a bind, download the QIF or OFX files from the institutions web sites -- B of A works better that way anyway :) Paul McKenna <Paul McKenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money >2007 Deluxe > >- ING Direct >- Bestbuy Card (HSBC...

Help on my recent update download
HI all, I just got an recent update download for office. And there is this annoying computer generated voice that reads everything that you do. Things like Voice: "FIRE FOX" when you open the application. Does anyone know how to turn it off. Or delete the update? Thank you, Andy That's part of Mac OS X. Mine also got randomly turned on recently, though I don't remember whether it happened before or after I updated MS Office and OS X and several other things. I'm vaguely thinking before--so that might just be a coincidence. It was driving me crazy. Anyhow, apple m...

list box updating
Please help me with the code for a command button to do the following: My form has a list box of Doctors. I need to pick one, then click a command button that will open a form, to edit his data. When that form is closed the list box is updated. I don't have much code worth showing but here is what works. Private Sub cmdAddProv_Click() Dim stDocName As String ???? stDocName = "f_ProviderDetail" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria End Sub Dan Why a listbox? They take up a lot of room on the screen. How about using a combobox, typing the start of the name, the...

Updated PowerPoint Indexer
More features: MRU file list, indexing multiword phrases, indexing permutations of multiword indexes, more canonicalization rules, enhanced number parser, just lots of stuff. Greatly enhanced documentation. Now has a .msi version to do the install for those who can't download it and build it. joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...

update
hi I can not install the update to office v.X "10.2" '10.4' ".10.5". The cursor is is fixed to "gathering information". In article <ezYYA1LiDHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "dlcc2" <dlcc2@freesurf.fr> wrote: > hi > > I can not install the update to office v.X "10.2" '10.4' ".10.5". The > cursor is is fixed to "gathering information". > Make sure that the Microsoft Database Daemon is not running (turn it off in Entourage: File/Turn Off Office Notifications...), then log...

Graph formats after updates
I am trying to keep a set of graphs linked in a document to their excel file. The problem is that I cannot select the option to keep them the same size and format when they are updated. The option is greyed out. Please help me! ...