Default Name for C Drive

I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on an old HP
laptop.  my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the keyboard and I can
not remember what it was called before it was renamed gibberish.

what is the default name for the C: Drive?  is it local disk? Drive C:?

Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name affect
the operability of my programs that were installed under the old name?

thank you!

helloprilly wrote:
> I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on
> an old HP laptop.  my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the
> keyboard and I can not remember what it was called before it was
> renamed gibberish.
>
> what is the default name for the C: Drive?  is it local disk? Drive
> C:?
>
> Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name
> affect the operability of my programs that were installed under the
> old name?

Most applications do not care what the volume name is - none I know of care
what the user friendly (presentation) name is.  Ignore it and move on. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
4/5/2010 2:38:07 AM
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:38:07 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Most applications do not care what the volume name is - none I know of care
>what the user friendly (presentation) name is.

The only time that I've needed to know it was when some format routine
asked me what it was. Of course, at that point in time, I had no idea
what it was.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
wrote:
> I just had to install and new hard drive and upgrade my memory on an old =
HP
> laptop. =A0my hard drive was renamed as I was cleaning the keyboard and I=
 can
> not remember what it was called before it was renamed gibberish. =A0
>
> what is the default name for the C: Drive? =A0is it local disk? Drive C:?
>
> Will renaming this drive from soemthing other than the default name affec=
> the operability of my programs that were installed under the old name?
>
> thank you!

The default is no name and it will show up in Explorer as something
like:

Local Disk (C:)

Explorer has to call it something or you would just have a blank space
and may not know what it is.

You can right click your drive and enter/change the name to anything
you want.  If it never had a name, the name box at the top of the
General tab in the drive Properties will be empty even though it seems
to have a "name" in Explorer.

Type in whatever name you want and click OK.  XP doesn't care what the
name is (fortunately) which is why it is easy to change.  If XP did
care, it would hopefully be much harder to change it.  It is easy to
change so it makes sense to your eyeballs.
0
Jose

Cell names #2
Is there a way to delete multiple names from the Insert>name>define box? One at a time. But you can get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager to help: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp e_vandenbush wrote: > > Is there a way to delete multiple names from the Insert>name>define box? -- Dave Peterson Hi E, To delete multiple names and many other name related utilities, try downloading Jan Karel Pieterse's invaluable Name Manager addin. It is downloadable, free of charge, at: ...

Contact Name First to last
whenever I create a contact information the name appearing the fileas box as"last name to first", is there a permanent way to keep the file as is exactly as full name? Dear, Whynot - In OL XP and 2003 Go to Tools -Email Accounts-click on View or change existing directories or address book(next), click on change, Select show names by File As. (Please respond to this question Was this post helpful to you?) Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Alexbj" wrote: > whenever I create a contact information the name appearing the fileas box > as"last name to f...

Hello How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange 2007? Thanks! Look up: New-RecipientDomain Get-EMailAddressPolicy New-EMailAddressPolicy Set-EMailAddressPolicy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Ronald" <2omikk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uOf%23x$$nKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello > > How to add an additional email domain and make it default for Exchange > 2007? > > Thanks! > We have a dedicated group for SBS...

workplace default pane default tab
Hi, Strange as it may seem, some users cannot find "Default tab" and "Default pane" to customize in the General tab of the Workplace (either in Client or Web Access). Even those who already used it, do no find it anymore. How can this be achieved (customization / programming)? Thanks a lot. ...

How do I name the column headings ie. Address
I would like to create a database of names and addresses. I'm unable to find out how to label the column headings ie. Name, Address, Town etc. You can't directly, but you could put headings in Row 1 and turn off Excel's column Headings, Tools>Options>View, Row and Column headers. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Lyric35" <Lyric35@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:443AD86B-E599-4FFF-B733-A432EDC44959@microsoft.com... >I would like to create a database of names and addresses. I...

Form defaults
Hi, I have a button on a form that disables and rearranges controls. I think I went into design view it it pressed and that control arrangement became the default. I cannot change it back though. I tried clicking the button twice and everything goes back to how it should be in form view. Then when I go to design mode everything goes to the wrong defaults. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help. ...

Force outlook to go to AD to get Exchange server name
I've this quesitons about Microsoft Outlook 2000/2003 clients (MAPI) for Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers. How can I force the Outlook clients to go to AD to find out which exchange server is holding the mailbox of the user? I want to do that every time clients starts or refresh it if it is already running. This way I don't have to reconfigure (or "Check Name") them whenever I move mailbox of the user from one exchange server to another in the organization. Thanks RD You shouldn't have to do that. When Outlook connects, it should get the Home Server attribute f...

How can I find the common names in two columns of names?
I have two columns of names. I want to find if there are any common names in these two columns, and if there are I want to figure out which ones are common. The only solution I could think of so far is using the find function in Excel by entering each name individually from the second column and searching them in the first column. It works, but considering the fact that I have more than 250 names in the second column and 990 names in the first one, I just wanted to know if there is a simpler way. I also have the SSN of these individuals as separate columns, in case I might need nume...

Changing Entity Name
We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:15:03 -0700, Shawki <Shawki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? Not possible in CRM I'm afraid! You will be able to do this in the next version of CRM, 3.0. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Shawki" wrote: > We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? This is possible. Unsupported t...

Default Catagory
Is ther a way in Outlook 2002 and 2003 to set a default catagory to all new Calendar items when they are created i.e. "Work" and then add any others you require? Also can you add a catogory to all the existing items in the calendar again "Work" in one go without destorying any existing catogories? Thanks Shane ...

Change default outlook calendar
I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. How? David <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just went from outlook 2002 to outlook 2003 pro. > > I now have a default calendar that I would like to delete > because of all of its errors (duplicates, etc.) and > replace it with a clean copy of an alternative calendar. > How? Create a new PST and set it to be your default delivery locat...

Retrieve File Names in Directories
Can anyone tell me how or if it is possible to start at a particular directory and drill down to all subdirectories and get the names of files and the associated paths of each? I was thinking you can do this with the File System Object within Excel VBA?? If anyone could point me to good web site that covers this, it would be appreciated. I basically want to start at one directory and follow all paths until no more directories. So drill both down and accross. Hopefully I am explaining correctly. Hi SharonM, What do you want to do with them after you get them? Dan At a...

distribution list - hide names
What is the BEST way to send the same email message to a large group of customers, but control what the recipient sees in the "To:" field of the email they receive? Sample distribution list "My Customers" Miles Smith (msmith@abbott.com) Michael Dell (mdell@dell.com) Steve Balmer (sbalmer@microsoft.com) I know by default that when I choose a distribution list such as "My Customers" in the "To" field when I create the message, it looks like To: + My Customers on my screen, but when the email is received by each person, their email looks like "T...

Change default font and size for comments?
Does anyone know how to do the above? Many thanks Anita Hi Anita! Right-click on the desktop > Properties Appearance tab > Item dropdown, select Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK You'll see that you can change the font and colour as well. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font ...

How do I get the name box to show up?
The name box and discription box dissapeared? Name box showed which cell you were in (ex. A1 ) and the other showed what you had put in that cell. These no longer show up when I start excel. How do I fix? Tools-Options, View tab. Make sure formula bar is checked. **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "chocolate10" <chocolate10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:300EAC4E-5CDB-4EAD-BF68-08EB58902BA7@microsoft.com... > The name box and discription box dissapear...

reference sheet tab name in a cell
I want to add the name of the tab in a cell on my worksheet Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html In article <7633BADA-2219-4710-9ADC-189E46BEAA33@microsoft.com>, "wendyvan" <wendyvan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to add the name of the tab in a cell on my worksheet ...

Footer defaults
I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them the default? -- Joe S. Hi create a new workbook with this footer and save this as a template (*.xlt file) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joe S." <JoeS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4D12465C-3586-4F79-A000-19AB582C456C@microsoft.com... > I use a consistent protocol for footers on my reports but would like those > footers to exist in every file I create. Is there some way to make them th...

Current date field name
Hi! We would like to create a field so our Project Managers can easily see what was supposed to start prior to today. I can't figure out what the "name" for today's date would be. Is this close to being right? IIf([% Complete]=100,"Complete",IIf([start]<today,"Late", "Not Late")) Thanks for your help! Stacey Hi Stacey, the name of today's date is 'now()'. Hope that helps! Regards Barbara Am 10.03.2010 17:46, schrieb Stacey: > Hi! > > We would like to create a field so our Project Managers...

Sum A Named Range Across Multiple Columns
Here's another fun one that's sucked up days of my life with no progress. I have groups of columns representing the days of the week where numbers representing amount of work done (just simple whole number quantities) go. I have every other column named as Budget for the budget of work to be done, and every other column beside those named Actual, for actual work done. So basically on this worksheet, columns A, C, E, G, I, K, etc... all represent the named range Budget (=Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet2!$C:$C,Sheet2!$E:$E, etc. �), and columns B, D, F, H, J represent the range Actual (=Sheet2!$B:...

Default organization not default
Hey, I changed my default organization of CRM. However when opening the default server URL. Still the old default organization is opened. Resetting IIS, clearing the Internet Explorer cache en even rebooting the server does not help. Does someone have more ideas?? Thx. Mirella try to disable the other organization and keep the only one . access it with default and post us if you get the error. ------ Aamir http://danishmscrm.blogspot.com/ I disabled all the organizations except the one I that needs to be de default. Opening CRM with the default URL the following error is displa...

Winforms C# DatagridviewcomboboxColumn
I have a DataGridView which was bound to a datasource. At run time I added a new DataGridViewComboBoxColumn and populate the Combo with a DataTable. I can now save the GridColumns + ComboBox Column to a SQL database when user clicks a button. The Problem is when I revisit the FORM I want to pull the datatable and bind to the DataGrid. I could do this succesfully but for one thing. I can set the VALUE of the combobox column from the DataTable. But is is not showing the TEXT or i would say the selectedindex is not moving to the value I got from the DataTable Sample Code ...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...

default mail programme
Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. See my answer in your other thread. On 30/04/2010 14:01, Digs@officeformac.com wrote: > Email Client: pop how do i make entourage my default email programme. -- Michel Bintener Microsoft MVP (Macintosh) *** Please always reply to the newsgroup. *** ...

email default
I set up my outlook as my email default (the same as in outlook 2000). The difference in 2007 is that whenever I sign on to outlook, it totally empties my aol mail box. With 2000, I got my mail but it also stayed in aol. How can I change this? Change the Advanced tab on your Account Properties to leave the messages on the server. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Fran" <Fran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

How to display an object name in the Name Box in Excel 2007?
Hello: In Excel 2003, if I select a series in a graph, the Name Box shows the name of the series and the formula box shows the data range. However, in Excel 2007, it does not show anything in the Name Box. Is there an option to make it display? I scanned the Excel Options, but did not see any. Perhaps I miss it? Thanks, Q They forgot how useful that was. It was also visible in 2003 in the Chart toolbar. The selected chart element is visible in the top left control in the last two chart tools ribbon tabs. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltier...