Dedicated hdd for page file, outer disc space used

Windows XP latest SP
Hdd dedicated for page file installed, single partition.
Page file of fixed size generated on this disc.
While reviewing the partition with Windows on-board defragmentation
utility, the page file is presented in outer partition sections.
It doesn't start from partition beginning.

I guess files critical for system performance should be placed at inner
section - faster read/write access.

Does windows on-board defrag utility really show the facts?
Does this file is really placed in outer partition section?
If yes, why does windows do that this way?
0
kakii

kakii;3375151 Wrote:
> Windows XP latest SP
> Hdd dedicated for page file installed, single partition.
> Page file of fixed size generated on this disc.
> While reviewing the partition with Windows on-board defragmentation
> utility, the page file is presented in outer partition sections.
> It doesn't start from partition beginning.
>
> I guess files critical for system performance should be placed at inner
>
> section - faster read/write access.
>
> Does windows on-board defrag utility really show the facts?
> Does this file is really placed in outer partition section?
> If yes, why does windows do that this way?

Try to verify the exact partition information using Partition Magic or
any other similar software. Also consider using ooDefrag (External
Tool) to defrag your HDD.

--
jhonsteve
0
kakii wrote:

> Windows XP latest SP
> Hdd dedicated for page file installed, single partition.
> Page file of fixed size generated on this disc.
> While reviewing the partition with Windows on-board defragmentation
> utility, the page file is presented in outer partition sections.
> It doesn't start from partition beginning.
>
> I guess files critical for system performance should be placed at inner
> section - faster read/write access.
>
> Does windows on-board defrag utility really show the facts?
> Does this file is really placed in outer partition section?
> If yes, why does windows do that this way?

Defragmentation can only make contiguous a file if there is sufficient
contiguous free space in which to store the file.  One of the problems with
fragmentation is that some "system" files (which are often very small)
cannot be moved by any defragger, even the commercial ones (PerfectDisk,
Diskeeper, O&O).  I forget which but one of them will actually let you see a
map of the files and that's how I found some tiny files marked "System" by
the defragger (but "system" was never well defined) that would not get moved
by a defrag operation.  Because some of my files were huge in size, there
wasn't enough contiguous free space to pack the file's sectors all together
so it would always remain with 1 or 2 fragments.  While it wasn't worth the
effort, I had the time and obstinence to find a solution, which was to save
an image (logical, not sector-by-sector) of the partition and then restore
that image (using a bootable CD so the OS was *not* running in that
partition).  Restoring put the files together in contiguous clusters.  Those
tiny "system" tagged files got slammed together instead of at random places
on the disk which limited the max size of any section.

You never mentioned how much physical RAM you have in your system.  You
never mentioned how much was reported as free (since free RAM is wasted
RAM).  You never mentioned the min/max size for your paging file, or if they
were set to the same value to eliminate or reduce fragmentation.  You never
mentioned if all of the pagefile was in the OS partition or split to another
partition on another hard disk.  I didn't run into the problem of these
system-tagged files not providing large enough space for the pagefile to
reside within one of them, only for the much larger data file.  I suspect
you made your pagefile was too huge.

Why do you think the "inner section" is faster (if you mean the inside
tracks of the platters; i.e., those closest to the spindle)?  Rotational
speed is the same across the entire platter but linear speed is greatest at
the outside, not inside.  More sectors fly under the heads per second at the
outside than do at the inside.  Cylinders, tracks, and mapped sectors are
numbered starting from the OUTSIDE of the platter.  More sectors pass under
the heads per second at the outside of the platter than do at the inside,
even with variable recording.  Platters are rigid.  Part of them doesn't
rotate slower or faster than any other part.  Spin a plate on your table.
Is it somehow elastic or disconnected so the center of it somehow spins
faster than the outside.  It all rotates at the same speed.  A 7200RPM disk
spins ALL parts of its platters at 7200RPM.  Sectors don't get bigger in
size as you progress from the center to outside.  They're all the same size.
That means the same sized segments at the inner track are spinning SLOWER
than the same sized segments at the outside tracks.  More distance to cover
at the outside than for the inside within the same single rotation for it
all.

Start here: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/tracks.htm
0
VanguardLH
2/10/2010 10:01:01 AM
Thanks to VanguardLH for the explanations
0
kakii

Determining if a file contents has changed
Hello, I was curious how I could determine if a file contents has changed? I am planning on creating a "tail" command like in Unix. The idea is that the tool will print the last contents of a file, and everytime the file has changed, it will continue to print those contents to the screen. Someone suggested FileSystemWatcher, would this be a valid class to use? If so, which library is this class in? I cannot find it. Thanks. "Jon" <TheFakeJon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1141716772.845354.290520@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | Hello, I was curious how I c...

excel files #4
When I click on excel file on desktop or through my documents, excel opens with a blank grey page and dialogue box saying file couldn't be found. I then close the box and can access the file through file and open, I used to just click and it opened instantly, what has gone wrong? Try this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. (unregserver is not always need...

Tab from one page to the next page in Tab Control
I'm stumped!! How do you get your tabs to go from one page in tab control to the next page? Right now, when I get to the bottom of the page, it tabs back to the top. I am using Access 2003 with Windows XP. I want to be able to tab from one page to the next as I complete my form. Any help is appreciated. -- retired_vol You'll need to use code to set the focus to the first control on the second tab in the LostFocus event of the last control on the first tab: Private Sub Control1_LostFocus() Me.Control2.SetFocus End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSte...

Deleting Log files in MDBDATA folder
I am running Exchange 5.5. Our Server is running very low on disk space. I have over 1GB of Log files in the folder MDBDATA. Can these files be deleted. Thanks in advance. Lee Lee, These are transaction log files, vital for database roll-back. These logs will be cleared after you perform a Full-backup on the Exchange Directory and Information databases. Janice "lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c1c01c3add4$7c1615c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am running Exchange 5.5. Our Server is running very low > on disk space. I have over 1GB of Log...

View System Volume Info files by a limited user
I have granted full control to a limited user to view the files in C: \system volume information, but I still cannot view the files. Is there a way to view them? Thanks. Mint wrote: >I have granted full control to a limited user to view the files in C: >\system volume information, >but I still cannot view the files. > >Is there a way to view them? > >Thanks. > > See if this article helps: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531> Let us know if it solved your problem. -- THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT...

Looking for Source for PRE Printed Barcoded Gift Cards for use with RMS
Does anyone have a source for GiftCards looking for The same type of card Home Depot / Sears / etx has Logo Side one - Barcode Side 2 For use with RMS J home@vmweb.net.nospam J, Go to Google and type "Gift Cards". You'll find hundreds. Nothing special about the cards, just have the serial number incremented and bar code printed. -- * "ParkRanger" <bfgpaintball.com> wrote in message news:%23L3%23Nc3qEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... Does anyone have a source for GiftCards looking for The same type of card Home Depot / Sears / etx has Logo Side one - B...

PDF or Image file transfer to Excel
Is there any possible way to pull the information off an image onto Excel? For example, Blue Company receives a remittance advice each month from Red Customer. This remittance advice is received in PDF format and is hundreds of pages. Is there anyway to take this remittance advice in PDF format and translate it to Excel? That way all the invoices on this remittance advice do not have to be manually keyed? Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!! Ryan You can convert the pdf to an html file, and then open it up in Excel. Of course you'll lose formatting but you can reconstruct it ...

Using one field to poulate others
I am sure this is a common question...but I could not find the answer. I have a form where purchases are recorded (stock table) and it has a supplier name field, with additional supplier details such as address below all stored on the (supplier table). When the supplier name is entered into the form I would like the address field etc to be automatically populated but I am at a loss how to do this. Can anyone help? Many thanks, Danny On 15 Mar, 18:29, Ofer Cohen <OferCo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Create a comboBox that Include all the fields that you want to display ...

Permission to use object denied.
I have a user on a Windows 2000 machine with user rights. The user is also running office 97. When he opens a excel speedsheet and Enable's Macros, he gets the following message; "Permission to use object denied". Hi Shannon............ It sounds like there is some sort of link to another workbook that a macro is calling and your user does not have rights to it. I think I would open the book without enabling the macros, and then take a look at them to see if one is trying to do such a thing. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Shannon" <Shannon507@aol.com>...

Why is there inverted L shaped line/edge on my double pages ?
Im making a wedding service booklet and there are mysterious upside down L shaped lines round the edge of the pages.Is this some shade effect or something Ive added acccidentally?(Publisher software) Is it possible that you have crop marks appearing? Go to File > Print > Advanced Print Settings > Page Settings Tab > Uncheck "Crop Marks" -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Exchange 5.5 with dedicated SMTP routes
Hi, I currently had one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server that forward all email to Mailsweeper. Mailsweeper was configured to send outgoing mail to the following: domain1.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx all other mail to yyy.yyy.yyyy.yyyy. Due to company changes I have been asked to removed the mailsweeper box, now I am having problems doing the above with Exchange. I tried "Email by domain" however I cant seem to use * within this and cost/priorities the routes. Do I have to manually edit the GWART with "admin /r" ? i would be very grateful for so...

Using VBA to create PDF
I am successfully using Ron de Bruin's Create and mail PDF files with Excel 2007. Here is the relevant snippet from his function: Myvar.ExportAsFixedFormat _ Type:=xlTypePDF, _ FileName:=Fname, _ Quality:=xlQualityMinimum, _ IncludeDocProperties:=True, _ IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _ OpenAfterPublish:=OpenPDFAfterPublish My questions is, where can I learn more of the above settings? Specifically, I would like to set the paper size to Legal. It's defaulting to Letter...

Using the Immediate window to run a sub
I am just learning VBA and learning to use the debug features as I go. I have successfully written functions and debugged then by running them from the debug window. ?MyFunction() In the Code Window I can position the cursor and press F5 and run the code from that point. Now I want to run a sub from the Immediate window. After some searching I found that the correct syntax is to run my sub: form_form1.Combo0_Click But in the Code Window when I can position the cursor and press F5 to run the code from that point a Macro dialog shows up for me to select a function from a ...

Retrieving backed up .pst files
I have backed up .pst files to a CD. However, when I try to open the file on the CD, I get an access denied message. Is this normal? Yes. CDs are read only. Outlook requires read/write access. Copy the file to the hard drive, remove the read-only check mark and use File->Open in Outlook to open the file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Norm Neligan asked: | I have ba...

Linking excel data to Word document so links survive file name change
If I am in the wrong forum to post this question please let me know. My problem is related to linking data in an excel spreadsheet to a Word docment in the same folder. Here is situation: each job has a folder [job1 job2 job3 etc.], each job folder has at least 2 files a spreadsheet and 1 report document. so in folder job1 there will be job1.doc and job1.xls. I am trying to develope templates for these 2 files that will maintain the link. So when we start job4 we can create a new folder (job4) and start new files (job4.xls and job4.doc) that are linked. I have searched a lot and found...

Default page margin measurements in Excel 2000
How do I change the default page margin measurements in Excel 2000 fom cm. to inches? Respond to: jimengel@primus.ca This is set by your Regional Settings. Here's how in Windows XP; should be similar in other versions Start | Control Panel | Regional... open Regional Setting Options tab, click Customize and change Measurement System to US (the only country that uses inches now) best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "J. L. Engel" <J. L. Engel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:899CE7F1-8679-45E9-99E8...

Can't open word file with password: "can't find encryption code"
I have a word file with a password and encrypted used to open in word 2003 with the compatibility pack as the file was created in another pc in word 2007. Now, after installing office 2007, can't open that file: it says can't find the encryption code or source. Thank you. ...

Print to file problem
Original post was "Spreadsheet saved to a file" Problem is how to print a file that was created by using "Print To File" from an EXCEL spreadsheet. The answer posted in response does not solve the problem. I cannot open the print file in EXCEL or any other meaningful way. I CAN get the 'text' of the file into excel or a word processor, but printing from there does not result in a normal EXCEL spreadsheet output. The file created has no extension. What should the extension (if any) be? Any ideas on how to use this file to print out the original spreadsh...

Hide Main report Page Footer If subreport spans multiple pages?
I have a report that displays invoices for given customers. The report is grouped by customer. Sometimes the invoice details (subreport) spans across a second page. I have got all headers & page footers to repeat on that second page so this works fine. What I want is to hide the Main Reports Page footer if the Subreport is spanning on a second page. Hide it on the first page (for that group only) and display it only on the last page (usually the second page... but hey.. it could even be the third!). I CANNOT use the [page] and [pages] event because sometimes the report prints multiple i...

I am getting "unable to read" when trying to open an excel file
When trying to open an existing Excel file. I am getting "unable to read message" Worf, That sounds like a media error. If you're trying to open it directly from a diskette, CD ROM, etc., try copying it to the hard drive (Desktop, My Documents, wherever). Open from there. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "worf65" <worf65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63506006-D794-4C20-98AE-0C49B8705DB9@microsoft.com... > When trying to open an existing Excel file. I am getting "unable to read > message" Earl It is happening ev...

Outlook 2000 Files
I currently had a hard drive fail. I have a full backup of the hard drive, however I can't find where outlook stores the file that contains my contact list and emails that were presently saved within outlook. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when searching for pst-file. By default it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service P...

How can I open .pub 1995 files?
I have old .pub files -1995 but have 1998 and 2000 software and am trying to find a way to open the files. I don't use Norton and am a mobile worker so am go crazy about not being able to access my work. Publisher 98 and 2000 will open 95 publications. Are you sure they are 95 files? You can send me one of the files and I will try to open it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jvb1962" <jvb1962@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B50B451-F93D...

How to Use Retail Sales Statistics Table?
E:\My Documents\*.htm when I copy the table to Excel 2003, it works, Year 2003 Retail Sales Statistics 2003 2002 Company Name Industry Sales Amount Retail Number: Number: Thousand Dollars LastYeaarSamePeriodRate±% Thousand Dollars LastYeaarSamePeriodRate±% 1 1 HundredUnite Department Store/SuperMarket/Convenient Store 67627140 22.46 67627140 22.46 2 3 National Beauty HomeApplianceSpecialShop 23878860 34.25 23878860 34.25 3 2 DL D Commerce Department Store/SuperMarket/Convenient Store 23084920 26.96 15035460 12.46 How can I use this table? ...

save page setup
I have a custom size publication. I can't save the page setup or the printer preferances when I open the publication. The custon size is in the dropdown boxs for both (page setup and printer pref.), but I have to manually reset them each time. What version Publisher? Is your printer driver current? What model printer? Is it just one particular publication? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "sierralightfoot" <sierralightfoot@discussions...