Cannot read Chinese characters in some programs

I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop.  I have also added
Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
characters properly. Please help.

Andrew

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091

On Mar 31, 9:07=A0pm, Abba1091 <Abba1091.48p...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
> read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
> East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
> well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
> I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop. =A0I have also added
> Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
> are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
> characters properly. Please help.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Abba1091
> Abba1091's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.ht=
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

"Cannot read Chinese characters in some programs"
1) Are the characters too small?
2) Are the characters not in Chinese?
3) Can you read Chinese normally?
4) Can you read which language the characters are in?
5) Do you really WANT "some programs" to be in Chinese?
If you cannot read the Chinese characters, then they (A) are either
too small, (B) you can't read Chinese anyway, (C) the characters were
written by some joker, (D) the characters are LIKE Chinese but wrong
shape, (E) wrong dialect, Mandarin etc.
Only likely cure for your dilemma is: (A) Learn Chinese or (B) get in
a translator or (C) learn English and buy an English pc or (D) move to
China where, hopefully, all pc's "speak" Chinese (YOUR specific
dialect).
Sorry about the long screed but "reading" & "seeing" have totally
different meanings in this context. Good luck.
0
sandy58
4/1/2010 8:47:47 AM
I used to be able to "see" those Chinese characters before I
re-installed Windows. Now, after all the programs have been
re-installed, the characters in some programs show up as funny
characters. I think it has something to do with the encoding of the
characters. Here is an example "&#25411;&#28632;&#34452;&#29249;". I am
sure everybody can see them but I doubt if anybody can understand them.

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091
4/1/2010 4:47:21 PM
Not sure what have I done but the problem is gone now.

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091

Cannot open any Office programs after installing 12.1.1 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel After I downloaded and installed both the 12.1.0 and 12.1.1 updates for Office 2008 I cant get Word or any other programs to open. What happens is that when I click on an Office program like Word, Microsoft Office Setup Assistant opens and asks me if I want to participate in the "Customer Experience Improvement Program." After selecting yes or no I press continue and it takes me to the "Get Started" screen. After I select finish it takes me to the Auto Update program and then I close those and Word n...

Read newsgroups
Hello, is there a way to read and post articles (with attachments) from within VB.net (framework 3.5). Just don't know where to start with this!!! Some sample code would come handy. Thanks in advance! To be complete: I mean articles in newsgroups! * Q wrote, On 20-1-2010 22:32: > Hello, > > is there a way to read and post articles (with attachments) from within > VB.net (framework 3.5). > > Just don't know where to start with this!!! > > Some sample code would come handy. > > Thanks in advance! It's not supported by de...

Outlook 2003 Reading Pane
Is there a way to rearrange how the From, To, Subject header fields are displayed in the Reading Pane? Can the font size for these headers be changed even? I have just migrated from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 and find that the headers in the Reading Pane takes up quite a bit of room on the screen, where as OE is a simple 2-liner headers with the From and To fields on the 1st line and Subject on the 2nd. Any help is appreciated, thanks! Twinkyz You can actually remove them completely if you'd like. Just right click in the small dark gray border round the reading pane and choose ...

Newbie: Read/Write xml

cannot open/launch Money 2004 program
I am trying first-time use of the Trial download of Microsoft Money 2004 that came already loaded on my new computer. After entering all my account information and clicking "finish", I got the message that it encountered a problem and will now shut down. Now every time I launch the program, I get the same message and cannot open the program at all. Please help. I am having the same problem with both my original version of Money 2003 and the newly downloaded Money 2004. "mickiking@yahoo.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1823e01c44a...

Extracting data to the right of a character
I need to extract data to the right of a dash (-). For example, from 123-34, I need 34 The data can be of a variable length with no set length either before or after the dash so I can't use Right or Left functions. I can't immediately see a built-in function that would do this. Do I have to grow my own? Anyone already done it? TVM Anthony You need to use the Instr function to locate the dash and then get everything from there on. Mid([YourField],Instr(1,[YourField],"-")+1) Actually if YourField could be Null, you might want to force the Instr comparison to check a s...

how to enforce a character set
Hello all... We have an Exchange 2003 and along with it we have the GFI Mail Essential program.Since I'm in Greece in the disclaimer we have a greek text. When someone sends a mail using only english characters at the receiving end the encoding used it's us-ascii ror something like that with a result the Greek part of the disclaimer to be filled with question marks. This happens allthough I have enforced through Internet Message Format to use Greek encoding. My question is why is that happening ? I mean shouldn't Exchange apply the character set that I have selected for my domain ...

Windows XP Start, Program menu question
Am running Windows XP with the Start menu set to classic setting. Problem is that when I click on Start, Programs only the catagories that I have used lately come up such as Accessories - Games - etc. They all used to come up which is what I want it to be. How do I get Programs under Start, Programs to show again when I move the mouse over them and not just the ones I used lately?? They all used to show until the setting got switched somehow. TIA On Jan 28, 7:43=A0pm, kraut <NewsGroupsPle...@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote: > Am running Windows XP with the Start ...

How to make a tab read only
Hello Guys, I know how to make tabs diabled, but how do I make it read only? I"m assuming that you are looking at making all the fields on the tab read-only? If that's the case you can do that within the UI. Just open the Form in the Customization section of CRM, then open each field on the form and check the Read-Only checkbox. You can also do this with JavaScript in the Form's OnLoad() event. "e" wrote: > Hello Guys, > > I know how to make tabs diabled, but how do I make it read only? ...

Read data from excel file under Window 2008 web server
I want to write a .Net webpage to read data from a Excel file, I am using 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0...' to do so. But it is not ok if the web server is windows server 2008 standard. Is there other connection method that can work under windows 208 environment? wktsang1 wrote: > I want to write a .Net webpage to read data from a Excel file, I am > using 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0...' to do so. But it is not ok if the > web server is windows server 2008 standard. > > Is there other connection method that can work under windows 208 > environment? ...

Set the number of line characters in Outlook (Plain Text)?
I need to set the line characters in Outlook so they don't look awkward when emails I send are received. I assume 68 characters may be a good length, but I have been unable to locate where to make adjustments. "LKV" <LKV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD89E737-801C-4BE4-BE7C-9FBD66999BCE@microsoft.com... >I need to set the line characters in Outlook so they don't look awkward when > emails I send are received. I assume 68 characters may be a good length, but > I have been unable to locate where to make adjustments. You didn'...

Which is better: Word or Outlook to send email? Read on...
There seems to be a difference in image quality when I get emails that were sent directly from Word as opposed to using Outlook to do an "Insert" "Picture". I've heard that Word changes the format of .jpg and .gif images once they are inserted in Word, and that is the reason. Anyone have any ideas on this? Is it generally just better to stick with Outlook when you want to send an HTML email instead of using Word. thx! Scotty I don't know about either method *looking* better or not. I do know that I see far more problems with email regarding using Word ...

very basic MS access 2007 (button click no read issue)
I added 2 text fields and a button to a form in MS access 2007. and i went to the code builder and tried to add values to the text fields . ex: textBox1.text = "name" i coded this to the button click event.. but some times after i get an error.. the button click property never works... so i have to create a new form and redo it. can some one tell me why this is hapenning , and tell me a way to prevent this.. In Access, you can only use the text property if the control has the focus. Instead, try: textbox1 = "Name" or textbox1.Value = "...

How to read HTML "PARAM" value from Active X control
I am now writing VB6 Active X control that need to read back dynamic settings from HTML page PARAM like following: <OBJECT ID="UserControl1" classid="clsid:8D448F66-8D94-45FA-B31E-8096D82EE64F" <PARAM NAME="HOSTNAME" VALUE="www.hostname.com"> </OBJECT> How can I read back the HOSTNAME value from my vb6 code ? Thanks in advance. Rgds, Kenneth. ...

maximum characters in cell
Is there a way to receive an alert if I type more than 'x' characters in a cell? I have tried data, validation and played with some options but it's not really what I want. For example, I don't want more than 40 characters in a cell as I upload this data to an application that will truncate anything beyond this number (for example). However, I need to paste data into these cells and would like to be notified If I go over the limit. One of the options in data, validation will wrap the text in a cell if more than 40 to fit the column, but this is not what I want. Is there an...

(XML) HTTP(S) in the Auto-lead Data READING using ASP / XML
Hi Here is the STEPS/METHOD my service provider sends the calling customer numbers captured : Export Method - HTTP 1. The partner provides Who’s Calling with a URL address to direct the data t the partner 2. Call Sync exports the call record data (XML) HTTP(S) in the Auto-lead Dat Format (ADF) 1.0 3. The partner system receives the data at the desired URL 4. The partner responds with an acknowledgement back to Call Sync. Th following is an example of an acknowledgement <result> success! </result 5. The partner URL also accepts a variable called ping in the query string an responds w...

Increase distribution reference field to at least 50 characters.
My client uses the distribution reference field which appear to be very long but only allows 30 characters. They would great appreciate having the field be at least 50 characters long. -- Thanks a lot, Julie London Technology Management Concepts (TMC) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

One Note has stopped working after opening the program
I have had OneNote installed on my laptop for about two years and all of the sudden about 6 months ago...it started giving One Note has stopped working right after I opened the program. I have done the diagnostic and they say there are no errors. Do you think there is another program that is interferring with it. I even tried the reinstall repair program and am still having the problem. Cornfused in Iowa wrote: > I have had OneNote installed on my laptop for about two years and all > of the sudden about 6 months ago...it started giving One Note has > stopped working ...

Can not Read Excel files
Hi, I am writing for my boss having trouble. She has a relatively new computer, Windows XP, and has Quattro Pro installed. However, she is working on group projects with people who have Excel and she can not read any of their files. I suggested the free viewer download from Microsoft but it doesn't seem to be supported by Windows XP. Any ideas? Thanks!! It is supported and works well "Elizabeth" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352f01c4293e$94c90650$a501280a@phx.gbl... : Hi, I am writing for my boss having trouble. She has a : relatively...

Reading data from cells on a worksheet into a textbox
How do you read data from cells on a worksheet into a textbox on a data entry form? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ something like :- mystring = ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Value Me.TextBox1.Text = mystring ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

HELP! Procedure or Program suggestion for finding multiple - the last 4 occurances
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C67D09.E7F4DE00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need help in finding a procedure or program suggestion for finding = multiple - the last 4 occurances - of recurring appointments in Outlook. The standard "find" seems to have a bug in that it will not find all = occurances of recurring appointments, it will not find the last series = of a recurring appointments -i.e. the last months worth that has already = occured - and in general returns ...

Change everybody's preview pane setting to mark as read
I keep getting read receipts which say "messages was deleted without being read" because some people in my organisation use the preview pane. The procedure to turn in the option which will "mark items as read when viewed using preview pane" will solve all this. My question is : Is there a way to turn this "mark as read..." setting on globally for every Outlook user in my organisation? (I've seen a command line switch the will take away the preview pane altogether but I don't want to do that, maybe something similar exists that will solve my pro...

Unread messages showing as "read"
We are having trouble at our office with emails coming in and automatically going to "read" status. The "Mark all as read" option is not checked and we can not figure out why this might be happening. Any ideas? -- JosephG "JosephG" <JosephG.3f50832@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:JosephG.3f50832@outlookbanter.com... > We are having trouble at our office with emails coming in and > automatically going to "read" status. The "Mark all as read" option is > not checked and we can not figure out why this might be happ...

How do I read Pocket Excel files from Excel
Just got an Ipaq and trying to use ActiveSync to synchronise speadsheet files between that and my desktop. Unfortunately, when I update the file using Pocket Excel on the Ipaq, it is converted to .pxl format, which the desktop version of Excel (2000) won't read! How do I get round this one? ...

counter problem(you really want to read this)
i have a workbook that contains two sheets. Sheet one contains a list of names. Each name references an information sheet for that name. I wish to collect data for each name for a specified number of days "x". When that number of days is met, then I wish to click on a button on the toolbar to delete some number "x" of days of data from 1 - "x" including "x". I wish to do this to make the data more current hence meaningful ...