Cannot read Chinese characters in some programs

I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop.  I have also added
Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
characters properly. Please help.

Andrew

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091

On Mar 31, 9:07=A0pm, Abba1091 <Abba1091.48p...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> I have re-installed Windows XP on my desktop recently and now I cannot
> read Chinese characters in some programs. I have already installed the
> East Asian languages files under the "Regional and language options" as
> well as setting the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Chinese(PRC).
> I have many Chinese fonts installed on my desktop. =A0I have also added
> Chinese in the "Language preference" in Internet Explorer. Still, there
> are some programs and some websites that I cannot read the Chinese
> characters properly. Please help.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Abba1091
> Abba1091's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.ht=
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

"Cannot read Chinese characters in some programs"
1) Are the characters too small?
2) Are the characters not in Chinese?
3) Can you read Chinese normally?
4) Can you read which language the characters are in?
5) Do you really WANT "some programs" to be in Chinese?
If you cannot read the Chinese characters, then they (A) are either
too small, (B) you can't read Chinese anyway, (C) the characters were
written by some joker, (D) the characters are LIKE Chinese but wrong
shape, (E) wrong dialect, Mandarin etc.
Only likely cure for your dilemma is: (A) Learn Chinese or (B) get in
a translator or (C) learn English and buy an English pc or (D) move to
China where, hopefully, all pc's "speak" Chinese (YOUR specific
dialect).
Sorry about the long screed but "reading" & "seeing" have totally
different meanings in this context. Good luck.
0
sandy58
4/1/2010 8:47:47 AM
I used to be able to "see" those Chinese characters before I
re-installed Windows. Now, after all the programs have been
re-installed, the characters in some programs show up as funny
characters. I think it has something to do with the encoding of the
characters. Here is an example "&#25411;&#28632;&#34452;&#29249;". I am
sure everybody can see them but I doubt if anybody can understand them.

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091
4/1/2010 4:47:21 PM
Not sure what have I done but the problem is gone now.

--
Abba1091
Abba1091's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/202629.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1322669.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Abba1091

Window location at program start
Running Windows XP Media Center Edition. Using two 19' monitors. One particular program starts at the right side of monitor 1, with the other half on monitor 2. If I select maximize on the properties window, it starts using only monitor 1, but full screen of course. Is there a switch I can add to the start command to get it to run, in normal window, on monitor 1? Thank you. Its usually on option of your dual monitor software "Cefoxtrot" <Cefoxtrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DDA543C-1378-4942-A989-0A9F5A39EE00@microsoft.com... >...

Clear Contents except first character
I have an excel spreadsheet which contains answers to a survey (man rows of columns of answers, each column is the answer to a question) Each cell in each column contains one of the following answers; 1- Yes 2- Not Really 3- Always 4- Never *I would like to clear the contents of all the cells so that the onl thing that appears is the number, not the additional words. Th numbers are in the first character space of each cell. * For example if cell B3 says �1- Yes� I want cell B3 to just have �1� I know how to do this manually, but I know there has got to be a way t automate this b/c it is a ...

Reading .wks file

File won't open as read only

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

reading confirmation

The memory could not be "read".

Hiding password characters
Hi! I've just added an InputBox function to my macro that requires users to enter a password, otherwise the other procedures do not run. However, there's a problem: when the user types the password, characters are revealed, they're not replaced by *. How can I make this change via macro? Thanks You can not do it with a input box, you will have to use a user form and a text box to do it and set the passwordchar to what you want to show like ***** -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from i...

Problem with Japanese characters
I upgraded from office 2000 to 2003. My wife was sending e-mail messages to her sisters phone in Japan before the upgrade and she could read them. Sending e-mail with Outlook 2003 she can't read them. I set Outlook 2003 to use Plain Text/Japanese (Shift-JIS) after Auto Select didn't work, and she still can,t read the messages. Is there a fix for this? Thanks Harry Do you know what is wrong with the messages? Are they not using Japanese fonts, have garbled text, ASCII characters etc? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Programming using user forms
I have a workbook with 69 worksheets. 68 of the worksheets are formatted exactly the same. Each represents a different jurisdiction. The 69th sheet is called "Pivots". I have code that creates csv files by drilling down on each pivot table. The code is something like... Dim pt as PivotTable For each pt in Worksheets("Pivots").Pivottables Do some stuff Next pt This works very well but I may always want to do the "stuff" on every pivot table. Is there a way, with user forms or something, to select certain pivot tables (based on their name, maybe?). Ma...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...

write a program which tests a specific port to see wether is listening mode?
hi all, I want to write a program which tests a specific port to see wether is in listening mode or not. do you know any api / code to get tat?? Network port? Or I/O port? I'm assuming network port information here... Are you looking for the sort of state that netstat reports? Take a look at GetTcpTable, which will lead you to the rest of the functions for the IP Helper APIs. joe On 30 Apr 2007 04:53:13 -0700, "vishal.g.shah@gmail.com" <vishal.g.shah@gmail.com> wrote: >hi all, > I want to write a program which tests a specific por...

Outlook not marking read emails as read
Hi - We have 1 computer that is doing the oddest thing, anytime the customer reads the last email in his box, exit's out of email and then comes back in, that email is now marked as unread - it's the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time. I uninstalled office XP, rebooted, then reinstalled and applied the 2 service packs, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. So now I'm stuck and was wondering if anybody out there has any thoughts on what to do.... thanks! Gerri Urban gurban@ci.broomfield.co.us ...

Value of non-numeric characters in a formula
As pretty much an Excel newbie, why does Excel (97 and 2002) treat a non-numeric character as having a value of 1 in a =PRODUCT formula? It treats the same character as a 0 in a =SUM formula. Make C1 =PRODUCT(A1,B1). Then, e.g put 5 in A1 and 3 in B1. C1 shows 15. Fine. Now try putting 0 in B1. C1 is now 0. Fine again. Now try putting an e or a comma in B1. C1 shows 5! Why? Try the same thing with C1 = SUM(A1,B1). The result will be 8, 5, and 5. TIA for the explanation. I'm sure it's there somewhere in the Help info, but I can't see it. -- Jeff (Remove xxx from emai...

Suggested reading
Any suggested reading for Access 2003 VBA? I have both "Step by Step Access 2003" And "Microsoft Access 2003 VBA for Dummies" (how Ironic) and niether have been very helpful. Try this book. It's a winner: Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference by Patricia Cardoza, Teresa Hennig, Graham Seach, and Armen Stein http://www.amazon.com/Access-2007-Programmers-Reference-Programmer/dp/0470047038/ref=sr_1_1/104-1181757-2327103?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185824619&sr=8-1 -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.access...

Message(s) Not Being Marked As Read
I have "Mark message read after displayed for" '0' seconds checked. But in my Junk e-mail folder the messages don't get marked as read when I select them, only when I open them. I'm assuming this is because there isn't a the reading pane for the Junk e-mail folder even though I have "Show reading pane" checked in "Layout" a reading pane doesn't display in the Junk email right pane. Is this normal? I'd rather just click on the message instead of opening the message to mark it as read. James > I'd rather just c...

Removing character in a string
When importing an excel file the character " ' " appears in front of a zip code; '85004 this hinders the vlookup formula. How can I remove this character en mass? Select the column of cells CTRL+H Replace: ' With: Click REPLACE ALL button "MikeL" wrote: > When importing an excel file the character " ' " appears in front of a zip > code; > > '85004 this hinders the vlookup formula. How can I remove this character en > mass? Maybe you could modify your =vlookup() If the value you're matching o...

Breaking the main execution thread in a thread crazy program
How can we break the execution of the main app thread(the winmain thread) without going through all the threads running. I mean i can go through all the threads in the Debug/threads window and see if any of them contains the winmain in their stack and understand that is the main thread. But with a 25+ thread program it just gets frustrating. Is there any easy way? thanks in advance Fleming You can give names to your threads. There are at least two ways (used for different purposes): To see the thread name in Threads dialog: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-...

Suddenly not able to save new or open previous files with name lengths over 45 characters
I'm using Excel 2003 if it matters ... I'm wondering if there is a known bug/issue on this. For what ever reason, when I try to save a new file (or for that matter open something done previously) with a name that has more than 45 characters or so (might be off by a couple), I get message that it can't save and then gives me a bunch of reasons (file path might not exist, might have too many characters, folder might be read only, etc). I know file exists in the folder I'm checking - I can email myself the file and open from the email so its definitely there! Any sane insight? ...

Controling READ ONLY and READ/WRITE mode when opening a project PS
Hello All, I was looking for a way to force users to select between READ ONLY and READ/WRITE instead of it defaulting to READ/WRITE when opening projects in MS Project 2007. Any suggestions would be a huge help. Thanks, Eric Eric -- Short of using custom software development, there is no way to force this issue with your PMs. If you want to try the custom software development route, then please repost your message in the microsoft.public.project.developer newsgroup. Otherwise, make this a training and performance issue with your PMs. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Ho...

Read/Not read
Hello We have an exhange-server environment. The Boss' secretary need's to be able to read the Boss' mail, without the messages being marked as read, within outlook 2003. She can access the Boss mail, but all mail she reads is being marked as read, hence the boss can not figure out what he has seen/not seen. What is the solution? Thanx a lot /Jan Hi Towli. There is no way to marked as unread automatically, Just she should be tick the unread option on the pop up menu after she open the her boss e-mail. Once you right click button one of e-mail on the e-mail list, you w...