Can't resize windows manually

Today I have lost the ability to resize windows manually, every IE8, email
and program windows. If I moved the mouse pointer to the corner of a window
I could resize it manually. Now any window just appears maximised and if I
click minimised it just reduces to the task bar until I click maximise
again. If I move down the screen I can resize the taskbar but nothing else.
I have googled which wasn't much help and was generally about resizing
partitions. As far as I am aware I haven't changed any settings.
Does anyone have any solutions please?
Many thanks
Andrew Wilson

0
Andrew

"Andrew Wilson" <andrew@thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Today I have lost the ability to resize windows manually, every IE8, email
> and program windows. If I moved the mouse pointer to the corner of a
> window I could resize it manually. Now any window just appears maximised
> and if I click minimised it just reduces to the task bar until I click
> maximise again. If I move down the screen I can resize the taskbar but
> nothing else. I have googled which wasn't much help and was generally
> about resizing partitions. As far as I am aware I haven't changed any
> settings.
> Does anyone have any solutions please?
> Many thanks

clicking minimise does what it does .. are you missing the button right next
to it? restore down/maximise
http://www.calvin.edu/~rbobeldy/tutorials/os/parts_of_windows1_1.htm

0
123Jim
7/2/2010 8:56:28 AM
"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> "Andrew Wilson" <andrew@thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Today I have lost the ability to resize windows manually, every IE8,
>> email and program windows. If I moved the mouse pointer to the corner of
>> a window I could resize it manually. Now any window just appears
>> maximised and if I click minimised it just reduces to the task bar until
>> I click maximise again. If I move down the screen I can resize the
>> taskbar but nothing else. I have googled which wasn't much help and was
>> generally about resizing partitions. As far as I am aware I haven't
>> changed any settings.
>> Does anyone have any solutions please?
>> Many thanks
>
> clicking minimise does what it does .. are you missing the button right
> next to it? restore down/maximise
> http://www.calvin.edu/~rbobeldy/tutorials/os/parts_of_windows1_1.htm
When I click the double box in the top right corner to reduce window size it
just disappears to the task bar. It seems to be only happening on IE8 now
for some reason.
Many thanks
Andrew

0
Andrew
7/2/2010 11:34:35 AM

> "123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Andrew Wilson" <andrew@thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Today I have lost the ability to resize windows manually, every IE8,
>>> email and program windows. If I moved the mouse pointer to the corner of
>>> a window I could resize it manually. Now any window just appears
>>> maximised and if I click minimised it just reduces to the task bar until
>>> I click maximise again. If I move down the screen I can resize the
>>> taskbar but nothing else. I have googled which wasn't much help and was
>>> generally about resizing partitions. As far as I am aware I haven't
>>> changed any settings.
>>> Does anyone have any solutions please?
>>> Many thanks
>>
>> clicking minimise does what it does .. are you missing the button right
>> next to it? restore down/maximise
>> http://www.calvin.edu/~rbobeldy/tutorials/os/parts_of_windows1_1.htm
> When I click the double box in the top right corner to reduce window size
> it just disappears to the task bar. It seems to be only happening on IE8
> now for some reason.
> Many thanks
> Andrew

Maybe IE has picked up some malware .. I suggest resetting IE to default
condition .

First though, in the very unlikely event that this causes you a problem,
create a restore point:
Start > All programs > accessories > system tools > system restore > create
a restore point > next etc

Now reset IE:
tools > Internet options > advanced > reset > apply > ok

0
123Jim
7/2/2010 12:27:02 PM

> "Andrew Wilson" <andrew@thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "123Jim" <jnkjnjnini@uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Andrew Wilson" <andrew@thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> clicking minimise does what it does .. are you missing the button right
>>> next to it? restore down/maximise
>>> http://www.calvin.edu/~rbobeldy/tutorials/os/parts_of_windows1_1.htm
>> When I click the double box in the top right corner to reduce window size
>> it just disappears to the task bar. It seems to be only happening on IE8
>> now for some reason.
>> Many thanks
>> Andrew
>
> Maybe IE has picked up some malware .. I suggest resetting IE to default
> condition .
>
> First though, in the very unlikely event that this causes you a problem,
> create a restore point:
> Start > All programs > accessories > system tools > system restore >
> create a restore point > next etc
>
> Now reset IE:
> tools > Internet options > advanced > reset > apply > ok
I've found the answer but it's very odd. It happens when I turn off and
unplug my USB printer to use the power socket for something else. When I
plug it back in again and switch it on I can resize windows manually in IE8
again.
Very strange
Andrew Wilson

0
Andrew

problem with resizing
Hi! I'm writing a MDI application. Child window is splitted in three panes. In the one pane I've got a FormView with some buttons. How to do, that this FormView was in the center of a pane (even during resizing )? And the second problem, how to do, that during resizing, splitters dividing window were always in the same places? Please, help me. I would be appreciate. bart ...

Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not?
Dear Expert, Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not? Thank you, phong phong What is SQL 2003 ??? Peter "msnews.microsoft.com" <hattha9@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23wAkRlsVFHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Dear Expert, > Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not? > > Thank you, > phong > ...

Bitmap resize on same DC
I am a little be confused! I have a custom control with a bitmap inside I create the bitmap with this code ************************************************* CClientDC dc(this) ; if (m_dcGrid.GetSafeHdc() == NULL) { m_dcGrid.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc) ; m_bitmapGrid.CreateCompatibleBitmap(&dc, m_nClientWidth,m_nClientHeight) ; m_pbitmapOldGrid = m_dcGrid.SelectObject(&m_bitmapGrid) ; } ************************************************ and in OnPaint i have: ************************************************ CPaintDC dc(this) ; // device context for painting CDC memDC ; CBit...

Signing into money windows 9x , me
Not sure if this will work 100% but yas can try go to http://www.microsoft.com/pki/mscorp/Microsoft%20Secure%20Server%20Authority(3).crt and download the certficate click open then click install certfication this should fix signing into Money and MSN Money -- Steve steven_morrison69@hotmail.com ...

how to increase manually expenses in a column in excel
please help Please explain what you want -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "keren" <keren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:344ECAC7-7E0C-4520-B202-CFCB79D81187@microsoft.com... > please help > More detail is required. What do you currently have in the column and what do want after the increase? If you want to increase all data by the same amount by adding, place the increase in an unused cell. Copy that cell then select the data cells and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc. To change all by 10% just enter 1.1 in the un...

Colored text in Windows Explorer
When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown in black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the blue files? I am running WinXP Home Edition with SP3. Compressed files are Blue. Encrypted files are green. "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45444E11-4354-4D15-AB96-DDF8995BD0F7@microsoft.com... > > When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown > in > black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the b...

getting windows emails to flash dive & accessig windows mail remot
I am a novice to the ultimate degree, 2 questions: 1. Can I send my windows emails to a flash drive? If so how do I do it. 2. Can I access my windows mail remotely? If so How? 1. Not directly. The Windows Mail message store must be on a local hard drive. However you can export email messages: File, Export, Messages, Microsoft Windows Mail. 2. You can't access the Windows Mail program remotely. But assuming you allow Windows Mail to leave a copy of messages on the server, you should be able to access just about any mail server via webmail. Who is your mail service provider? ...

Bills and Deposits Window
I am using "Background Banking" to automatically download bank transactions into account register. After I accept these transitions,how do I get the "Bills and Deposits" window to recognize them? You will not get this screen, but what you will need to do is look at the bills & deposits screen and see if the transactions were matched-up. If you have a deposit that includes a paycheck, this will not happen automatically, unless you have direct deposit, otherwise, the payee will say something like, "Counter Credit". If this is the case, then you will...

sql script to determine window or report access
Does anyone have a sql script that will help determine who has access to a particular window. For example: we would like to run a script that will determine which users have access to the Vendor Maintenance window or customer maintenance window. If anyone has done any work on this, kindly post the script. Jack On Dec 9, 1:00 am, "Jack Tundra" <jacktun...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a sql script that will help determine who has access to a > particular window. For example: we would like to run a script that will > determine which users have access to...

wiping windows xp laptop computer clean and starting over
my daughters laptop had gotten a nasty virus that i was unable to remove. instead of taking it to somebody else to work on it, i decided i would try to undertake this task myself. i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers but i am learning and willing to read and do research. i have an idea of what i need to do to wipe her computer clean, so we can start over. i just ordered a new recovery disk for her laptop. the only problem was that they sent me 2 disks and that is my first question in this process. one disk says....."Operating system CD - Microsoft wind...

resizing problems
I am using OpenGL in my MFC app. The problem is when I resize the window from the left or top border the whole scene of my OpenGL moves even before my OnPaint event handler is called and when my OnPaint is called after this it repaints the scene so this produces a flicker. If, however I resize the window from the right or bottom border this problem doen't occur. Can anybody please tell me what is happening? Thank you ...

windows live mail
unable to get spelling check to cjeck emails before they are sent. Is the spelling being checked as you type? Alt + T, Options, Spelling, ..... -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "Paul Baxter" <Paul Baxter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40856CC5-4157-41C7-8FCD-63088A1543C0@microsoft.com... > unable to get spelling check to cjeck emails before they are sent. On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:01:01 -0800, Paul Baxter <Paul Baxter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >unable to get spelling check to cjeck emails before they are sent. You don't...

CStatic derived dialog and auto-resize
Hi, I would like to add auto-resizing feature to my Cstatic derived control. I mean when I load a bitmap I would like to adjust size dynamically. I tried to SendMessage WM_SIZE but it doesn't work. >I would like to add auto-resizing feature to my Cstatic derived control. I >mean when I load a bitmap I would like to adjust size >dynamically. >I tried to SendMessage WM_SIZE but it doesn't work. You can resize a window by using the SetWindowPos or MoveWindow APIs. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

Windows Mail Error Code
I have looked through the postings but couldn't find anything reguarding this error code. I can receive mail and occasionally send one out, but mostly I just can send them. Can you help me with this? Thanks! An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Titan Twilight 5k Race Form', Account: 'NOHS PTO', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B It is possible that your mail account in Windows Mail is corrupted. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that corrupted mail account...

Windows XP SP2 Money Prep
Are there any known Money update requirements before installing Windows XP SP2? I am running Money 2004 Std. Worked fine here doing nothing special. As always, you should have backups of your Money data that you have reason to trust. "Robert Sharon" <rcsharon@att.net> wrote in message news:QIMsd.93890$7i4.78445@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Are there any known Money update requirements before installing Windows XP > SP2? I am running Money 2004 Std. ...

Duplicate browser windows open from Outlook hyperlinks
Everytime I click on a hyperlink in Outlook it opens two duplicate browser windows. I've tried everything short of total re-install. Can anyone help? Are you double-clicking on the link? "Jon" <igetstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04c601c49088$60f99d60$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Everytime I click on a hyperlink in Outlook it opens two > duplicate browser windows. I've tried everything short of > total re-install. Can anyone help? no, definitely not >-----Original Message----- >Are you double-clicking on the link? > >"Jon" <ig...

How move Windows Mail local folders to windows live mail?
Went to Windows 7 and setup wlm. Have been unable to get my windows mail folders/files moved to wlm. What do I need to do to make this happen? Import the messages..the message store from WM can't be moved to WLM Alternative..Drag/drop to a Windows Explorer folder(from WM to the folder) and Drag/drop from the Windows Explorer to a user created folder in WLM(suggest creating the folder in WLM's Storage folder section) Moving Messages from Vista's Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!172.entry -- ...winsto...

backup window freezes!
Hi, Everytime I try to backup either thru the wizard or with run...ntbackup.exe... or try to copy to C: (not sure if I am doing this right tho), the backup window freezes, and the only way to continue, is to end task, with nothing accomplished. What can I do? Thanks, Jim "JS" wrote: > Hi, > Everytime I try to backup either thru the wizard or with > run...ntbackup.exe... or try to copy to C: (not sure if I am doing this > right tho), the backup window freezes, and the only way to continue, is to > end task, with nothing accomplished. What can...

Windows madia player no picture
Vista windows Media Player 11 has sound and visualization but no picture on some AVI files. One file that does not respond is Fill Handle.exe. AVI which is a tutorial for Windows Office 2007. ...

is publisher 97 compatabile with windows XP?
I recently upgraded to Windows XP from windows 98. New computer. Tried to install Publisher 97, and my computer froze. Lost cause? Any patches or anything available? I searched Microsoft knowledge base. All I could find were related to Office 97. Thanks Did you get an error? Publisher 97 will happily reside in XP. Disable your virus software when you install. If a you try to install Publisher to a standalone computer that has resident virus protection software installed, you may receive the following message at the end of the setup: Installation could not be completed, please check the ...

To pause an Windows service application
Hi! Here is some text from e-learning about windows services. "If you want to pause and restart the Windows service application, you must set the CanPauseAndContinue property to True. If this property is set to True, you should override the OnPause and OnContinue methods. However, if the OnPause method releases all the resources in the OnStart method, it functions as the OnStop method. You can pause only a portion of the work that the service perform while the service perform the remaining activities normally." Now to my question what in meant by the last row when i...

Payables cheque stub
It was brought to my attention that the payables cheque stub shows details of invoices and payments that zero out on a vendor's next cheque that is issued after a manual payment has been entered. I'm not sure if there is a setup to only print what was selected for the new cheque? For example, we entered a manual payment for $1000 that paid two invoices $800 and $200. The following cheque run we paid the same vendor for some other invoices but these three lines all showed up on that remittance. thanks. There is a setting in the Payables Setup window 'Print previously applie...

skin window
hi, I create a skinnable window. But I have no way to make its menu visible. How do I fix it? thanks hi alan.... how did you make skinnable window? I create a region on a bitmap that is almost a rectangle, then use SetWindowRgn to attach the window. When handling the WM_ERASEBKGND, I bitblt the bitmap to the DC. That's my way. "zek" <zekixx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eyt6D0NXDHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > hi alan.... > > how did you make skinnable window? > > thanks alan.. "Alan Li" <activeperson@sina.com> wrote in ...

Wildcards in File,Open... Excel & Word 97 within Windows 2000
Does anybody know a fix for this? I run Windows 2000 and Office 97. I have other applications, like Adobe Acrobat and stuff like that. I am the administrator on this unnetworked laptop and full access rights to everything. I am a hardcore keyboard user; using the mouse is painfully slow. In Acrobat Reader, I can funnel down to viewing specific types of file in its Open File dialogue box by doing what should be natural. In filename, type *.doc, or *.pdf, or *.txt. Acrobat complies and gives me the information I need. But none of my Office 97 applications - Excel, Word or Powerpoint...

Windows Active Directory Interview Questions
Here i have gathered some of the most important interview questions on Windows Active Directory Services. These are related to Windows 2003 AD environment. Please click on the following link to see them http://www2.isupportyou.net/2010/07/some-windows-active-directory-interview.html ...