Can't connect to remote computer with Remote Assistance

When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I receive
the following message:

”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the DNS
name of the remote computer could not be resolved.”

Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus software.

Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access
along with port 3389 enabled.

I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP address
from her internet provider, with the same results.

She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachment because her Remote
Assistance program will only allow her to save it as a file.

I’ll get the same message if I try to connect even after the invitation has
expired.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick J.

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:34:02 -0800
Rick J. <RickJ@discussions.microsoft.com> articulated:

> When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I
> receive the following message:
>
> ”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the
> DNS name of the remote computer could not be resolved.”
>
> Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus
> software.
>
> Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full
> access along with port 3389 enabled.
>
> I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP
> address from her internet provider, with the same results.
>
> She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachment because her
> Remote Assistance program will only allow her to save it as a file.
>
> I’ll get the same message if I try to connect even after the
> invitation has expired.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

{untested}
This link (somewhat dated) might be of use to you.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprmass.html

--

Carmel	|::::=======
	|::::=======
	|===========
	|===========

0
Carmel
1/30/2010 7:43:02 PM
Rick J. wrote:
> When trying to access my mother=E2=80=99s computer using Remote Assista=
nce I receive=20
> the following message:
>=20
> =E2=80=9DA Remote Assistance connection could not be established becaus=
e the DNS=20
> name of the remote computer could not be resolved.=E2=80=9D
>=20
> Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus softwar=
e.
>=20
> Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access=
=20
> along with port 3389 enabled.
>=20
> I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP add=
ress=20
> from her internet provider, with the same results.
>=20
> She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachment because her Remote =

> Assistance program will only allow her to save it as a file.
>=20
> I=E2=80=99ll get the same message if I try to connect even after the in=
vitation has=20
> expired.
>=20
> Any help would be appreciated.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Rick J.

TeamViewer is a better solution.. you get the following:

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

and she gets the much simpler:

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

You might use the Run option rather than the Install option on you end..
your mother should save the file to her Desktop, double-click and it'll
start right up.  She will give you the ID# and password.  Her ID should
stay the same, so if that's the only person you help, you won't have to
ask for her ID each time, just the new password.  If you're
disconnected, the same password will apply, making it much easier to
resume from a disconnect.

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo
1/30/2010 9:30:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Teamviewer does what I need.

Thanks again,

Rick J.

"Elmo" wrote:

> Rick J. wrote:
> > When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I receive
> > the following message:
> >
> > ”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the DNS
> > name of the remote computer could not be resolved.”
> >
> > Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus software.
> >
> > Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access
> > along with port 3389 enabled.
> >
> > I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP address
> > from her internet provider, with the same results.
> >
> > She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachment because her Remote
> > Assistance program will only allow her to save it as a file.
> >
> > I’ll get the same message if I try to connect even after the invitation has
> > expired.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rick J.
>
> TeamViewer is a better solution.. you get the following:
>
> http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe
>
> and she gets the much simpler:
>
> http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe
>
> You might use the Run option rather than the Install option on you end..
> your mother should save the file to her Desktop, double-click and it'll
> start right up.  She will give you the ID# and password.  Her ID should
> stay the same, so if that's the only person you help, you won't have to
> ask for her ID each time, just the new password.  If you're
> disconnected, the same password will apply, making it much easier to
> resume from a disconnect.
>
> --
> Joe   =o)
> .

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

AP Computer checks not being pulled in SafePay
We created a new company and imported safepay setup from one of our existing companies. We noticed that in the new company, computer checks are not showing up in the Safepay file. Any idea what to check? We have tried deleting and recreatign the safepay setup from scratch and still got the same results. Thanks! ...

Remote Outlook
Is it a must to be running Windows XP to use the RPC over HTTP feture? Will it work with 2000Pro? Are there any workarounds? TIA joe I think it's a requirement. Otherwise you'd have to use something like Outlook Web Access. "Joe" <.> wrote in message news:OT%237dYxpFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > Is it a must to be running Windows XP to use the RPC over HTTP feture? > Will it work with 2000Pro? > Are there any workarounds? There are no workarounds that I know of - you need winxp. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outl...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

Problem accessing remote SQL Server from C# application
I have a remote SQL Sever 2008 DB which works flawlessly when using Management Studio. However, whenever I try to reach the DB from a C# app developed on Visual Studio 2008, I get "40 =96 could not open a connection to SQL server" or something similar. I guess it has nothing to do with the connection to the server, since port 1433 is open on the server, and I can access the data, and perform any operarion with it, using Management Studio. Is there any other thing I should try? Thanks is advance http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/SQL-Server-2005-Remot...

How do I get my e-mail accounts to open on home, office computers
I have tried to get my office computer and my home computer where they can access all of my e-mail acct.'s. No luck... called server repeatedly and can not get my office computer to receive messages... majority go to my home. Is there anyway of doing this without paying for an additional service? I'm restricted to one company for service at this time... sschmitz <sschmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have tried to get my office computer and my home computer where > they can access all of my e-mail acct.'s. No luck... called server > repeatedly and c...

Problem connecting socket
On one machine I am having problems making a socket connection. When I try to connect, I immediately get an FD_CONNECT notification response with a WSAENOTCONN error. Sometimes the connection works; most of the time it doesn't. I don't think I am doing anything fancy. The code has not changed and has been working for awhile. Suddenly this machine seems to have a problem. Below is the connection code without the notification code. Can someone think of something to look for? Thanks /*******************/ /* Create a socket */ /*******************/ m_hSocket = socket(PF_INET,...

Connections in Exchange 2003 server showing 2 connections.
My exchange server keeps giving me the following error in the event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: Routing Engine/Service Event ID: 929 Date: 9/21/2004 Time: 1:15:24 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1940 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=IST external mail,CN=Connections,CN=First Routing Group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Gr...

How to connect Outlook To Aol for email?
How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? Thanks In article <0d5001c3bfee$53823630$a301280a@phx.gbl>, power4fl@bellsouth.net says... |How to connect Outlook To Aol for email? | |Thanks | You can't directly. I believe there is a third-party program that will do it for you. Try a google search. ...

no connection
When I try to 'send and recieve' I get a message "mail.bellsouth.netproperties not responding" I know some setting is messed up,but what & where? Thanks Has this account ever worked? Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "flhxcharlie" <flhxcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDB240CE-E063-4C5C-A1D0-38E01B3A2D4C@microsoft.com... ...

Connection Error Issues
I am working in SSRS 2005, and am building "ad hoc" reports with parameters in VS2005. Everything runs well with in VS 2005, I build and deploy the reports, with no issue, and they run fine in Report Manager. Then the report viewer is linked to a website that essentially lists the avaible reports. Here is the issue, the end user can access the webpage but when they click the link to the report it throws a connection error such as: "An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Query execution failed for data set 'DataSet1'. (rsErrorExe...

CONNECT
How do you connect to CRM? I have it installed, The snap in works, but I just cant figure out how to access it yet.I don't have sales for outlook installed yet, but I thought you could access it via a web interface? ...