Can't change desktop icon spacing

I have my display resolution set to 1280x1024. The icons on the desktop are
smaller then I like.
I opened the  desktop 'display properties/appearance/advanced'. under
'item/icon', I increased the size of the icons and that worked. After that,
they were crowded together so I tried to increase the horizontal and vertical
spacing between them. That doesn't work (they don't move). Can someone tell
me how to fix this?

Thanks, Jim B.

PS: on the arrange icons menu 'align to grid' is checked. If I uncheck this,
would I be able to change the spacing (ie. change the size of the grid) then
recheck the align to grid?

JimB wrote:
> I have my display resolution set to 1280x1024. The icons on the
> desktop are smaller then I like.
> I opened the  desktop 'display properties/appearance/advanced'.
> under 'item/icon', I increased the size of the icons and that
> worked. After that, they were crowded together so I tried to
> increase the horizontal and vertical spacing between them. That
> doesn't work (they don't move). Can someone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Thanks, Jim B.
>
> PS: on the arrange icons menu 'align to grid' is checked. If I
> uncheck this, would I be able to change the spacing (ie. change the
> size of the grid) then recheck the align to grid?

Change the spacing, reboot.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
3/22/2010 11:38:32 PM
Sorry about this. I found that if I uncheck 'align to grid' then make my
spacing changes in display properties and close out of that dialog screen
then, when I recheck 'align to grid', the icons pop to the new spacing. Maybe
this will help somebody else.

Jim

"JimB" wrote:

> I have my display resolution set to 1280x1024. The icons on the desktop are
> smaller then I like.
> I opened the  desktop 'display properties/appearance/advanced'. under
> 'item/icon', I increased the size of the icons and that worked. After that,
> they were crowded together so I tried to increase the horizontal and vertical
> spacing between them. That doesn't work (they don't move). Can someone tell
> me how to fix this?
>
> Thanks, Jim B.
>
> PS: on the arrange icons menu 'align to grid' is checked. If I uncheck this,
> would I be able to change the spacing (ie. change the size of the grid) then
> recheck the align to grid?
The way I suggest allows you to see the changes quickly.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> JimB wrote:
> > I have my display resolution set to 1280x1024. The icons on the
> > desktop are smaller then I like.
> > I opened the  desktop 'display properties/appearance/advanced'.
> > under 'item/icon', I increased the size of the icons and that
> > worked. After that, they were crowded together so I tried to
> > increase the horizontal and vertical spacing between them. That
> > doesn't work (they don't move). Can someone tell me how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks, Jim B.
> >
> > PS: on the arrange icons menu 'align to grid' is checked. If I
> > uncheck this, would I be able to change the spacing (ie. change the
> > size of the grid) then recheck the align to grid?
>
> Change the spacing, reboot.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

Integration Mgr
We are getting a Out of Stack Space error when we run an integration in 8.0. I'm only finding documentation on version 6.0 re: this error. I can't figure out how to do a trace on this issue. It's not even getting past the first document. I thought it may be related to duplicate vendor document numbers but since it's not getting past the first document, it makes me wonder. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hi Jav, Check out Knowledge base article #904610. "jav" wrote: > We are getting a Out of Stack Space error when we run an integration in 8.0. >...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Synchronize Desktop Outlook to Outlook Web Access?
Using Outlook 2003 with Win XP SP1, latest updates to both. I just got a new e-mail address from work, which uses Outlook Web Access (Exchange server) for its web mail. Since the folders look similar to the Outlook folders in my desktop Outlook, I wonder if there is a way to synchronize the data between my desktop Outlook, and that on the web. In other words, to import the contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc. from my desktop Outlook into the folders on the web. My Inbox as well. (I have several e-mail accounts, all going into one Inbox in my desktop Outlook. Of course, I think I can only a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Mouse pointer becomes huge after doing stuff on desktop...
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 2 Gigabyte GA P55A UD3 Intel i5 750 2.67 ghz Powercolor Radeon 5850 These are what i am using, anybody else have the same issue? I tried Google but it wasn't that much of a help. -- ImTheSlime Anyone? -- ImTheSlime "ImTheSlime" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:fe2a525c344f7eed03f42d6a16c2a3d6@nntp-gateway.com... > > Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 2 > Gigabyte GA P55A UD3 > Intel i5 750 2.67 ghz > Powercolor Radeon 5850 > > These are what i am ...

Remote Desktop Deployment
We have had good success deploying remote offices with Remote Desktop. The bonus here is only having to update the server, not a bunch of individual workstations. Also saved quite a bit of time on the installs (RDP rather than full blown GP install). Any reason not to deploy an installation entirely with RDP regardless of location? The only downside we see at this point is the additional $100 for the RDP license. Easily eaten up in installation time, plus can be passed to the client. -- Doug T I've seen good success with RDP too but since you asked about the downsides, - Th...

Battery on Desktop?
OK, gonna try this another way ... Ine the Power Options panel on wife's pc, it now shows options for both Plugged In and Running On Battery. Even has a battery capacity screen. This is a desktop. No battery involved. Why the battery option? How do I fix this??? Control Panel - Power Options - Power Schemes - down arrow - Home/Office Desktop "chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message news:OV3$FH%23sKHA.5356@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > OK, gonna try this another way ... > > Ine the Power Options panel on wife's pc, it no...

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

colour change of dated box

Daylight saving time changes for Exchange 2003 server
Hi guys, I was wondering how other real life systems administrators are preparing for the upcoming “2007 global time zone update for Windows” (daylight time change for exchange 2003 server). I'd like to know what contingency plans are being planned out to implement this update and what practical ideas you think thus far are the best. I would greatly value your input. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx -Thanks! ...