Alt-F4 No Longer Closes Windows

Hi everyone,

Until maybe 2 months ago I could close windows on my system with Alt-
F4, with one exception -- the command prompt. If my task bar was
empty, I could even bring up the Windows Security dialog and shutdown
my system from there. But now Alt-F4 has no effect.

I don't even remember exactly when the issue started. I think the
culprit was an MS update, but searching Microsoft's site turned up
nothing. Can anyone help resolve this issue? Thanks to anyone who does.
0
whitesmith

RPC over HTTP on Windows 2000 Pro
Hi all, Can anyone confirm that I will be able to use Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTP on Windows 2000 Professional please? Many thanks, Mike In news:8A9F1E1B-36EA-470F-ADC9-6E044FC31D31@microsoft.com, Mike K <MikeK@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi all, > > Can anyone confirm that I will be able to use Outlook 2003 via RPC > over HTTP on Windows 2000 Professional please? > > Many thanks, > Mike Sorry; you'll need Windows XP SP1 or SP2 to do this. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402731033.aspx ...

longer drop down box content?
I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of three paragraphs to insert into the letter. I was thinking a a drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words. My paragraphs are approx. 70 words. Is there a way to make the drop-down options longer? Or, is there a better way to do this? I am using Word 2007 A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per item. There is no way to increase tho...

Why CRM WEb Client auto-close if the client pc swap domain
Our office previously has existing domain with all the computer connected to it. After indentify that CRM 3.0 single pc deployment need to be install on Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, we have formatted our only server and promote a new domain. CRM has been setup according to User Implementation guide. However after setup done, existing office pc that was previously connected to the formatted server, after joined the new domain, has trouble running the CRM web client. Each time launch the http://CRMserver:5555, the IE appear for 1 -2 seconds, then it disappear. But with new pc ...

In Windows Live Mail ?
In Windows Live Mail: When using the Newsgroup function can I hide Read Messages ? FDLeyda Yes. Windows Live Mail Newsgroup. In your newsreader: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop On the Web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "FDLeyda" <fdleyda@no_reply.com> wrote in message news:uPD6wwx7KHA.1436@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > In Windows Live Mail: > > ...

Double-click X to close program
User has Excel 2000 SR-1. He also uses GroupWise 6.5.4. For some unexplained reason, he must double-click the X in the title bar to close Excel rather than the normal single-click. We have not found any setting that seems to control this. We have already disabled Integrations in GW which fixed some other problems he was having. I believe his operating system is XP. What do we need to do so he can single-click the X to close the program? TIA! Check the following link for information on problems with Excel and GroupWise: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828484...

Character code for ALT-ENTER
Hi All, I am extracting data from excel and I need to know if the data has been wrapped by setting the cell properties. I have been told that excel uses ALT-ENTER to put a soft break in a line. Can anyone tell me what character code this will equate to? TIA Peter Peter Longstaff wrote: > I have been told that excel uses ALT-ENTER to put a soft break in a line. > > Can anyone tell me what character code this will equate to? The character is still the Enter key, but it's sent to the application via WM_SYSKEYDOWN and WM_SYSCHAR messages. -- Regards, Tobias Tobias G´┐Żntne...

Can I dual boot windows 7 and windows xp on he sane nachine?
Windows 7 was installed first on a 500Gg disk. I would now like to install WINXP on a separate 160Gg disk on the same machine and be able to dual boot between the two to test test old hardware. Is this possible Artreid wrote: > Windows 7 was installed first on a 500Gg disk. I would now like to > install WINXP on a separate 160Gg disk on the same machine and be > able to dual boot between the two to test test old hardware. > > Is this possible Yes. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart...

Window and reports Resource ID
Does anyone have a listing for the resource IDs for Great Plains windows and reports. I would like to get them if anyone has compiled this information in a spreadsheet. My email is jacktundra@hotmail.com Thank you Jack Jack What version are you running? Also, what about third party products? for v9 and earlier. If you use Advanced Security to export settings as XML you can then extract all the resources details including resource IDs from the resulting XML file. In V10.0 they added the syCurrentResources (SY09400) table. Go to Microsoft Dynamics GP >> Tools >> Mainte...

Error: 514: Transfer Palm to Windows
I have an excel spreadsheet which I have on my Palm Pilot which was placed there by documents to go. One day my spreadsheet on my palm tol me an error 514 message, and just froze, found out it could be insufficent space on my palm. There is no macros, but was a password needed to change data within the palm. I transfered it back and when open it in word i get an error message: EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d0b99. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d0b99 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=0000000...

Importing Messages into Windows Live Mail for Windows 7
Can I import old messages from my outlook express (as .dbx files) into windows live mail for windows 7? I can only find instructions for windows live on vista! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice IDisposable, Destructors, Finalizers and Garbage http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6b73ba55-130d-4f8e-bde8-6f44c0686f27/idisposable-destructors.aspx If you are speaking of moving to a different machine as well, then....... Transferring data from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail: For messages: Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to a f...

How do you enter Unicode characters that don't have a Alt-nnnn shortcut?
I have a need to enter a range of non-English names into a combo box on a form in an Access 2003 application. Sometimes this requires the use of accented characters that do not appear on a UK keyboard. If I refer to the Windows XP Character Map facility (charmap,.exe) then I can see that many such foreign characters have been allocated an Alt-nnnn code that is displayed at the bottom right of the Character Map acreen. This makes it easy to enter these characters. However, many other characters have not been given an Alt-nnnn keyboard shortcut. They only have a U-FFFF code, displayed at...

Year End closing
We are currently using payables, receivables, HR, Payroll, Project accounting, Financials and Fixed assets. Can some one lend me, the check list for all the above mentioned modules. Thanks, Ram If you log into CustomerSource you can download year-end processing guides for GP modules via the knowledgebase. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Ram" wrote: > We are currently using payables, receivables, HR, Payroll, Project > accounting, Financials and Fixed assets. > > Can some one lend me, the check list for all the above mentioned modules. > > Thanks, > > ...

W7 no longer remembers who I am...
My W7 Home Premium has stopped remembering all of my user IDs. When I log into various sites - banks, things like Vonage, etc. my ID no longer pops up automatically. After I have re-entered it, it forgets again next time. Is there an option that got reset? If so, I wonder how? TIA, Paul Oops! Wrong place for this. But I wonder where to post it? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message news:OVAGYljOLHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My W7 Home Premium has stopped remembering all of my user IDs. When I log > into variou...

files required to use windows update are no longer registered or i
Here is some history.... For some reason, the SP3 update would never finish installing on my system. After may hours of investigation and trial/error, I ran across a posting the suggested the following 1. Download and install subinact.exe. 2. Open Notepad (Start Menu-All Programs-Accessories-Notepad) and copy and paste the text below into the new Notepad document: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrat...

login window doesn't automatically appear
Whenever I boot up Windows XP (either restart, or from a cold boot), or even if I simply log out, I am taken to the login screen that has my user account (the only one on the computer). Up until this last week, I would see a white space below the username; I would simply type in my password and then I'd log in. Now, however,I see the username, but no white space, making me click to view it. I'm wondering what has happened to cause this. It can't be a common problem; googling simply leads me to myriads of results about not being able to log in at all. Admittedly this is a ...

message "Personal folder did not close properly" occurs frequently
Very often when I start up Outlook the message "personal folder did not close properly" or similiar appears and then repair takes about 5 minutes to execute before Outlook opens Do you close Outlook before shutting down your PC? If not; you should ;-) There also situation in which Outlook will not fully close after closing the last open Outlook window. For an overview and possible solutions see http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook...

compiled on visual studio 2003 on windows XP, want to install on windows 7, error
Hello, I have a VB.Net program, which I wrote on my windows XP pc (all recent updates installed), and I created a setup project for installing the program. Now I want to install that program on windows 7, but there I get a message: .Net framework 3.5 needed. Unfortunately, the latest version of the .Net framework is installed on the windows 7 pc. Anyone has experience with this problem? Does anyone knows a solution? Thanks in advance. Steven I think that for most people including me is to run the Windows Update first when they have installed Windows 7. Somehow thi...

Money has detected that you did not close the file "........." bef
..I have been working on a money file. I went to open this file again and got the message 'Money has detected that you did not close the file "........." before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now. I click yes. It then takes me to the Open File dialogue box. I tried reopening my original file and it does the same as above. I then try opening a backup and get the message that *.tmp file did not exit properly. How can I get the database to change its status so that i...

File->Close All Items
In Contacts, when I click on File->Close All Items, nothing happens. I have run Detect and Repair, which claimed to run successfully, but it has not solved the problem. ...

"Your IMAP server closed the connection."
Hi: I am using Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2 Home and I am getting the following pop up message fairly frequently. It is annoying because when I get the message it comes to the foreground and interrupts whatever work I am doing. "Your IMAP server closed the connection. This can occur if you leave the connection idle for too long." I don't have any other e-mail programs open. I know you can receive this message when other e-mail programs are open. I talked to my ISP and they said there is nothing they can do but that they have the same problem when using Outlook...

ALT+... and CTR+ALT+DEL
Hello Guys, I know this question has been asked many times, sorry for asking again. How can I block CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+F4, ALT+SPACE, CTRL+SPACE and virtually all combinations that could, for instance, call some of Windows UI features, like CTR+ESC? I would like to do it "legally", i.e. without using undocumented methods - application should work fine on Win XP, Win 2K and Win 98 machines as well. First of all, is it possible without using DirectInput from DirectX libs? I'm working on MFC application that should be strong enough to block students (this is a kind of testing/teach...

Close and Inactive form
Hi, I am wanting to have an open form closed automatically if the form has been open for a specified period of time with no data added to it. We have a number of staff members who for whatever reason leave the office without closing open forms. Any Ideas would be appreciated. -- Jens On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 03:38:01 -0800, Jens <Jens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Check these out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb243861.aspx http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259971 -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi, I am wanting to have an open form closed automatically...

sending email from Windows Mail
I am unable to send email from my roadrunner account. I can receive just not send. I get the following meassage:This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program. > > I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned > below could not be delivered to one or more destinations. > The e-mail server has responded with the following error: > > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Cannot open SMTP connection to '75.180.132.33' > Connect: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (10065) > >...

closing windows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: Exchange Is there anything like &quot;close all items&quot; that we have in outlook client in Entourage? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3354722422_15615782 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 4/21/10 5:04 PM, in article 59bb741e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "basu1947@officeformac.com" <basu1947@officeformac.com> w...

close w/o saving
I closed without saving by accident but Windows keeps a temp copy of the file. Does anyone know how to retreive that copy? Hi IMHO your file is probably lost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "frs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:714301c40234$38ccd740$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I closed without saving by accident but Windows keeps a > temp copy of the file. Does anyone know how to retreive > that copy? Unless you're running some autosave program, I think you're out of luck. But you may want to look into one of these: ...