Wireless keyboard/mice: software, EULA and plug n play?

I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
keyboards mention there is software included.

Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.

Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but don't
mention windows 7. Others  mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
limitations to the hardware with each OS?

Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned about
that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually associated
with the wireless keyboards and mice?

I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and mouse
into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor. Can I
do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in future?
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
> keyboards mention there is software included.
>
> Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
> play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.
>
> Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but
> don't
> mention windows 7. Others  mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
> keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
> limitations to the hardware with each OS?
>
> Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
> use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
> microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned
> about
> that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually associated
> with the wireless keyboards and mice?
>
> I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and
> mouse
> into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor. Can
> do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in
> future?

The mouse and keyboard are for the most part PNP. The software is for
programming the various buttons on the mouse and "special" keys on the
keyboard. Without the software being loaded, you won't have the capability
to change, say, the Back button on the mouse or the DVD Play key on the
keyboard.

The ones that don't list Windows 7 were probably released before 7 came out.
Check the manufacturer's site for the compatibility of the particular model.

By moving the supplied dongle from PC to laptop to a new PC, you can use the
same hardware on any of them (just not at the same time, obviously). Not
sure how that would work on built-in Bluetooth if the PC and the notebook
both have it- I'm not lucky enough to own anything quite that new :-)
--
SC Tom

0
SC
4/23/2010 11:15:23 AM
"SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote in message

> "Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently looked at some wireless keyboards. Some that are microsoft
>> keyboards mention there is software included.
>>
>> Most sales people I talked to said wireless keyboards and mice are plug n
>> play. I pretty much only need drivers for an operating system.
>>
>> Some wireless keyboards and mice say they work with XP and Vista, but
>> don't
>> mention windows 7. Others  mention windows 7. Can I use all wireless
>> keyboards and mice? Can I get the right drivers or are there actually
>> limitations to the hardware with each OS?
>>
>> Since there is software to install I am concerned about not being able to
>> use certain wireless items on other systems I own. Most notable are the
>> microsoft products, since I have an EULA for windows XP, I am concerned
>> about
>> that kind of stuff. Does anyone know about the software usually
>> associated
>> with the wireless keyboards and mice?
>>
>> I have a desktop and laptop, I need to be able to plug a keyboard and
>> mouse
>> into my laptop occasionally and then connect the laptop to my monitor.
>> Can I
>> do this? Or use the wireless hardware on a new computer I could buy in
>> future?
>
> The mouse and keyboard are for the most part PNP. The software is for
> programming the various buttons on the mouse and "special" keys on the
> keyboard. Without the software being loaded, you won't have the capability
> to change, say, the Back button on the mouse or the DVD Play key on the
> keyboard.
>
> The ones that don't list Windows 7 were probably released before 7 came
> out. Check the manufacturer's site for the compatibility of the particular
> model.
>
> By moving the supplied dongle from PC to laptop to a new PC, you can use
> the same hardware on any of them (just not at the same time, obviously).
> Not sure how that would work on built-in Bluetooth if the PC and the
> notebook both have it- I'm not lucky enough to own anything quite that new
> :-)
> --
> SC Tom

Just a little clarification to what Tom said. My Logitech connects via P/S2,
which needs nothing for basic function, or USB. Anything W2K or newer should
have basic USB drivers.

BT kb &mouse would probably have it's own USB dongle that could be switched
to other PCs USB ports. You'd  need drivers for it  so make sure you have
the ones for whatever O/S you want to use it with.

If you want to use the keyboard with another BT device make sure it's
stack(software) supports keyboard and mouse or any other device/function you
may want./need. BT stacks can be a real PIA. The upside to BT is you might
be able to use the keyboard with a PDA or smartphone, if you ever want./need
to. I'd like to have one of the pricey DiNovas.
HTH

EULAs are betweem you and you're lawyer :^b.

I appriciate the replys emmensely.

I would leave the keyboard or keys alone. But there areusually extra buttons
on the newer keyboards, so assigining them could be a setp into the future
for me.

I am not planning on buying these now (it's been close due to some other
shifting around). Later when I change mroe on my computer, I could use those
upgrades. I'd hope in a year or so. By then who knows what is out....... But
I need to know this stuff now.

Again thank you.

I don't use bluetooth, unless thats the wireless. I don't even have a cell
phone. Hit me on my land line, facebook, myspace or email! I just don't need
on yet. Still!...........Hey I got something that is called an answering
machine...........I can check it and call you back........

Wireless Question
When it comes to wireless, whether BlueTooth, 802.11 (a/b/g), etc, at the bottom, it is all sockets correct? Is there anything else other than sockets that do the actual marshalling? -- CSFastRunII - A developers dream! A integrated taskbar designed to easily launch one or groups of application with one click. check out http://www.consiliumsoft.com for details. As far as programming goes, you just use the wireless connection as you would any network connection ie you don't have to know how the computers are connected. Ralph Krausse wrote: > When it comes to wireless, whether Bl...

CDs don't play
I have WMP 11 for XP, using XP Professional. I can play music if I've loaded it onto the computer but it won't play CDs. Does anyone know why this is and how I can fix it? ...

Keyboard problem in Outlook 2003
I have my keyboard to UK English and the keyboard works fine in all my programs but Outlook 2003. For example if I do shift and 2 get a @ on the screen instead of a ". If I do shift and ' I get " on the screen and not a @. This only happens in Outlook, can anyone tell me why? Thanks Tony ...

How do I create a JPG, GIF, PNG file. Do I need special software
I need to find out how to create these kinds of documents. How do i do that? Almost all graphics software will create those graphic files. Even Paint (in all Windows operating systems) ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:59:02 -0800, in microsoft.public.office.misc, Darlene S <Darlene S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to find out how to create these kinds of documents. How do i do that? Copy the image, Paste it into Picture Manager, Export the resulting file as the desired ty...

Outlook using wrong keyboard??
Hi l hope someone can help me my pc is set with a UK keyboard by default and works fine in all applications except outlook. When l am adding an email address instead of an @ sign l get a " sign, also when l try for a � sign l get a # instead. I am aware that it is using the US keyboard but everything is set to uk! Any ideas anyone?? Regards Steve G I use an English (UK) keyboard in America, so I can use the � sign. On the quick launch tool bar at the bottom of screen you should see an EN, click on show language bar, click on that and change to English UK, if English UK is not sh...

wireless router question from a dummy
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the same case with a wireless n router? thanks How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC? "iluv my kitties and family&...

Outlook 2000
Outlook is not sending/receiving mail - errors are "no server connection". Have disabled firewall but problem persists. Could problem be due to corrupt firewall software files or another cause outside the computer? No problem w/Internet access. Thank you. ...

intercepting key from keyboard and rejecting it completely
Hi, I've got a text box. How do I intercept specific key from a keyboard and make it as just it never happened, ie. reject it completely before even cursor in text box moves? thanx alek_mil alekm wrote: > Hi, > I've got a text box. How do I intercept specific key from a keyboard > and make it as just it never happened, ie. reject it completely > before even cursor in text box moves? > thanx > > alek_mil You can use the KeyPress event of the text control, check for the ASCII value, and cancel it. Say Private Sub TheControl_KeyPress(Ke...

Macro keyboard shortcuts in Visio 2000
The subject pretty much says it all: does anyone know if it's possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to a macro in Visio 2000? TIA, Dan. ...

Setting up Wireless Networks
On my laptop, I am using Vista Home Premium (32-bit). I set up a wireless connection with my router, using a Netgear wireless adapter. Works like a charm. On my desktop, I have Vista Home Premium (64-bit). It interjects a "VirtualProfile" into the equation of wireless networks available. Using Netgear, I established "Profile1." On the Manage Wireless Networks tab under the Network and Sharing Center, I see both networks. I have placed Profile1 on top (so to speak) of VirtualProfile, assuming that the system will attempt to connect to the Internet firs...

Could keyboard malfunction be a registry issue?
I've used a wonderful Keytronic keyboard for 10 years, using it with every generation of computer I purchase. Yesterday, the space bar quit working along with the delete keys and the 3, 6, and 9 on the numeric keypad. So, today, I purchased a brand new keytronic keyboard to replace it but whoops, the same problem remains. I switched to this piece of crap microsoft keyboard that does not appear to have any key problems but when I switch back to either of the keytronic keyboards, the same problems pop up. I'm stumped. I deleted the keyboard driver and rebooted but that ...

wireless
alguem sabe configurar o airsnort cracado?obrigado ...

Software removing and registration problem
I am running Windows XP. I installed Adobe InDesign on an old computer and now that I have a new computer I have firstly uninstalled the program, but once I installed the program on the new computer and try to register the software I get an error message that there is a maximum no. of copies registered. I have tried running Microsoft disk clean up utility to see if I could remove on the old computer any In Design files that might be causing this problem. But there are no files on the list. Please help. DG, this is a Microsoft Dynamics GP forum. You should pose your question on a M...

VBA Password Recovery Software
Hi All I have forgotten the password to a file I created in Excel. I locked the Visual Basic on the file and now can't reopen it to look at the macros I wrote. I have been looking for some freeware on the web for a password breaker, however there isn't any I can find that will break the code. Can anyone recommend a site or software that will break the password for free? Has anyone bought VBA Password Recovery software and I could send them my file to be unlocked? Thank you so much if you can help! Cheers Nick I have something that is 80% finished that can do that but it ...

Re: Graphics Software
Hi All I have a requirement to produce some simple graphs and pie charts in an MFC environment. Can anyone recommend a product for this purpose? Regards Larry http://codeguru.earthweb.com/controls/Graphing.html http://codeguru.earthweb.com/controls/chartnpie.html HTH, Tom "LarryM" <larryman.nospam@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:Bi_Za.29274$bo1.13976@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Hi All > > I have a requirement to produce some simple graphs and pie > charts in an MFC environment. > > Can anyone recommend a product for this purpose? > > R...

Lock the Keyboard
I've two questions : - is it possible in excel to lock the keyboard i.e. user cannot press any key or pressing a key does not have any effect. - Secondly, if possible, can we lock the keyboard for a given range only ? also, can we pass a message when user presses any key ? Please don't quote Tools->Protection, I know about that option but something else. You would have to use Excel programming code - VBA or possibly a Windows API function. Jim Cone San Francisco, USA <babs00@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1117033443.694826.42280@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... ...

Backup Software
I've been using BackupExec (ver 7.x and 8.x only). I heard there are lots of issues with version 9 and later especially since Symantec took over Veritas. Any BackupExec ver10.x users out there? Care to post some feedback about the software (good/bad)? I'm thinking of switching over to other backup software products. I don't like built-in Windows Backup. Which backup software do you use? Can someone recommend a decent, easy to use exchange 2003 aware backup software? Of course it has to be compatible with Win2k3 server as well. Btw we are only hosting 40 mailboxes on our mail serve...

free software for monitoingr the data traffic?
I am using MFC to develop instrument control software and need snooper software to monitor the data traffic. To hel[p me debug, I need some "snooper" tools. Could anyone tell me where I can find free software for monitoring the TCP/IP, USB, and RS232 data traffic? "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1176742053.835294.289810@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > > I am using MFC to develop instrument control software and need snooper > software to monitor the data traffic. To hel[p me debug, I need some > "snooper" tools. > > ...

kbfiltr compiled for Windows 7 x64, fails to run keyboard & mouse
The Keyboard and Mouse are not functional after installing kbfiltr sample for Windows 7 x64 and restarting. The Keyboard and regular mouse are inactive and fail to respond. The system must be restarted using F8/LKG. The Test system is a Lenovo T400 laptop, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The kbfiltr sample built for the XP x86 platform works just fine on a Lenovo T60p laptop, running Windows XP (32 bit). Is there a known problem with that sample running in x64 mode? no known issues. are you sure your driver is loading properly and is properly signed? "Tony A.&quo...

Keyboard Shortcut to Junk Email Filters
Anybody know if there are any K/B shortcuts to the junk email filter settings. I don't want to use the right mouse button to select the menu, the left button to select "Junk Mail" and then the left button again to select "add to blocked senders list" Surely MS must have included a shortcut that one can use from the K/B as you scroll through the emails? ...

Wireless connection
Vista HP 32bit.... When I power on my laptop after not using the Power off.....so its coming out of Sleep....and you see RESUMING WINDOWS.....9 out of 10 times I won't get connected to my Router. I have used the Diagnostic Tool...and get the same results, which is, power off the Router...and power it back on...and when I do that, I do get re-connected. Suggestions denmarfl wrote: > Vista HP 32bit.... > > When I power on my laptop after not using the Power off.....so its coming > out of Sleep....and you see RESUMING WINDOWS.....9 out of 10 times I won'...

Sum field N times
I would like to sum a specific cell N times. Is there a command to execute this? As I am VBA inept, I am hopeful it can be done without the use of VBA. Thank you. Hi =N*A1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sara Jane wrote: > I would like to sum a specific cell N times. Is there a > command to execute this? As I am VBA inept, I am hopeful > it can be done without the use of VBA. > > Thank you. ...

Money 2004 and Antivirus Software
When I installed Money 2004 it said I needed to setup my antivirus software to work with Money 2004, but when I followed the Help link, I couldn't find any information on how to do it. I searched Microsoft's site, but still can't find any information. Has anyone found anything about using Money with antivirus software? Or is it not an issue? I've got NAV and didn't have any problems with the install or general use. It's probably just a cover-your-a__ point for MS. "Steve2896@hotmail.com" <steve2896@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23KsJSu8VDHA....

Win7 wireless area networking
I have an existing wireless home network for file sharing and what not. It was no trick to get this working with XP. Vista was problematical, but is now working. How can I connect my Win7 to the home wireless network? I've been searching and experimenting for days, with no success. This is not a Home-group solution, since I have but one Win7 machine. Can someone walk me through the setup? Thanks in advance! Avraham Avraham Hanadari wrote: > I have an existing wireless home network for file sharing and what not. > It was no trick to get this working with XP. Vi...

WMP "date last played" is inaccurate
Hi, I'm using WMP 11 and Vista. I just noticed when I played a song at 8pm on June 2nd, it updated the "date last played" to June 3rd. Is there a time zone setting that can be changed? I've looked seemingly everywhere. Thanks for anyone's help. Same here, I think it's a Windows update bug. Probably will be fixed soon. Hopefully! What time zone are you in? Date last played is actually a combination of date and time, and WMP always seems to use GMT time to set it, regardless of the time zone that is set in Control Panel. If there's a significant di...