USB stick Drive letter allocation

I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - because
that is where software is specifically writing to.  However, if I boot up
without the USB memory stick another drive (the CD) is allocated to the now
missing drive letter and I have to re-assign both of them to regain drive
letter D.

Is there a way to stop D being assigned to another drive - even if there is
nothing there at the time of boot up?

Thanks.

Bill

0
Bill
12/26/2009 7:01:21 PM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Bill R wrote:
> I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - because
> that is where software is specifically writing to.  However, if I boot up
> without the USB memory stick another drive (the CD) is allocated to the now
> missing drive letter and I have to re-assign both of them to regain drive
> letter D.
>
> Is there a way to stop D being assigned to another drive - even if there is
> nothing there at the time of boot up?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

	Why not simply assign the optical drive another letter?  As it's always
present, its letter won't change at each reboot.

     Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right-click
the desired drive/partition > Change Drive letter and paths....

     Personally, I always assign my CD/DVD drives letters far enough
down the alphabet to keep them from interfering with the lettering of my
often changing hard drive partitions.  For instances, I usually label
CD/DVD-ROM drives as R: (for Read-Only), CDR/CDRWs as W: (for Writable),
and Zip drives as Z: (for the obvious).  This lettering system is, of
course, not necessary; it's purely a matter of personal preference.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
12/26/2009 7:13:25 PM
"Bill R" <bill@compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - because
> that is where software is specifically writing to.  However, if I boot up
> without the USB memory stick another drive (the CD) is allocated to the
> now missing drive letter and I have to re-assign both of them to regain
> drive letter D.
>
> Is there a way to stop D being assigned to another drive - even if there
> is nothing there at the time of boot up?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

Look here: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

--pa

0
Pavel
12/27/2009 7:35:30 AM
On Dec 27, 2:35=A0am, "Pavel A." <pave...@12fastmail34.fm> wrote:
> "Bill R" <b...@compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > I have a USB memory stick which needs to be assigned as drive D - becau=
se
> > that is where software is specifically writing to. =A0However, if I boo=
t up
> > without the USB memory stick another drive (the CD) is allocated to the
> > now missing drive letter and I have to re-assign both of them to regain
> > drive letter D.
>
> > Is there a way to stop D being assigned to another drive - even if ther=
> > is nothing there at the time of boot up?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > Bill
>
> Look here:http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
>
> --pa

I second USBDLM.  It is a great tool!!!!!
0
smlunatick

Running CHKDSK on external drive? Where is the log?
Hello all, I ran CHKDSK on my 1TB external drive and went to look for a WINLOGON log file for that program but there wasn't one for the day I ran the test. Although it took forever, it appeared everything was running in CHKDSK. I was surprised to see it run from Windows and not the blue DOS screen I usually get on the C:/ drive.. Why don't I get a log for this test of the external drive? Thank you, J Tinsby On 07/11/2010 03:43 PM, J Tinsby wrote: > I was surprised to see it run from Windows and not the blue > DOS screen I usually get on the C:/ drive.. T...

CD/DVD drive is not detected
"CD/DVD drive is not detected" Win XP Professional with SP3 First off...I recognize this is a well know and documented problem...please be patient and read on. Well..I'm giving this one last try, hence this note. Have tried all the reccomended Microsoft and 3rd party fixes. First ran MS's "Fix-it" - which determined that "CD/DVD drive is not detected". Uh huh..that's why I downloaded it. Next tried the various registry edits, including first using automated packages, such as "CD Gone", "CD Reg", etc. for high/low filte...

Star TSP 700 USB receipt printer
Is anyone using this printer? I tried to use the raster driver and can get it to print a receipt but it doesn't pop the cash drawer. When using the OPOS driver for the printer it only shows COM port choices not USB. The cash drawer does pop if I use a parrallel TSP 743 printer and the OPOS driver. Pat Use USB and go into printer options and under raster it shows cash drawer info "Pat@arms" <Patarms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65B7D22C-34FD-4DC4-928A-7C3B4F952C5C@microsoft.com... > Is anyone using this printer? I tried to use the raster driver...

USB
Anyone have suggestions on good sites/books on accessing the usb port from Windows application? Would like to access a usb port as a serial or parallel port. Thanks Normally you access the USB port via the device driver for the specific device which is attached to that port (unless, of course, you are writing the device driver for a new device). I'm not sure that it's meaningful to attempt to" access a usb port as a serial or parallel port" without knowledge of the device you are trying to communicate with. Keith Is it possible to have a USB to rs232 device attached...

How do I enable USB ports?
I'm on a computer that was origionally intended for public use but is now used in an office and as a result of being intended for public use, it's set so that nothing connects to the USB ports. If I plug in a drive, it lights up, so there is power to the USB ports, but it doesn't show in My Computer. So how do I enable the USB ports? What icon do I go to in Control Panel? Or, in case that icon isn't there, in what subfolder of Z:\User would I find the file that opens the needed panel? Enter the BIOS and re-enable them. Also see:- http://www.dexternights....

I have numbers instead of letters on my columns, why?
I don't see anywhere to change this. I copied a client's spreadsheet and now all of my Excel sheets have numbers for the columns and the rows. It is making it hard to do formulas. Please help! >From the menu - select Tools | Options; click the General tab and make sure R1C1 reference style is NOT checked. Tools>options>general and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lisawjs" <lisawjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4717FB6D-8253-4BAB-AF32-63DE07EBEA10@microsoft.com... > I don't see anywhere to change this....

Maintaining Order of Songs Synced from WMP to USB Stick
Hi There, I'm a novice, and I thank you for reading my message. I've been creating Sync Lists of Songs, with the songs mixed in a particular order I desire. I then name the playlist. I sync the lists into my USB Stick 1GB without shuffling, but upon playback the order of the songs in the playlist have been altered. In fact, they are played back in the order of the artist. Is it possible to sync the playlist exactly as I mixed it, and have the USB Stick playback the exact mix of song order accordingly? Or is this an impossiblity? Thank you for your help and...

Excel 2003
I have mapped a netwok drive to a PC acting as a file server. When I try to save an excel 2003 file to the network drive (or sub folder thereof) I get the "can't use \ / in the file name etc " error message. When I try to save the same file to the same network drive but with the default file name of "book1" the file saves correctly. This problem is not exhibiting itself on other 2003 applications (word & PP work perfectly). This looks like an application error to me - is there a fix? It sounds like the subfolder that you're trying to save into doesn'...

USB problem
Running XP-SP3 with all updates current. I have a WACOM tablet, driver is latest version; plugged into a USB port in rear of DELL PC. I'll boot up and get error message,"USB device not recognized...". I check Device Manager and no flags are showing. I simply plug into another USB port and I get message that "Human Interface Device found" and my tablet now works. The next day I boot up and the same error message pops up and the fix is to reverse what I did the previous day, just plug back into yesterday's "bad USB port". Any ideas what I am ch...

Enumerating USB device
Hi, I have a USB device that has 2 logical units. USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990&0 (Drive A:) USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990&1 (Drive B:) I used SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() func and I get just one:USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990 I guess this is understandable since there is only one physical device. However, is there a function that I can use to get both the drive letters? I used the DEVINTERFACE_VOLUME GUID for the SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() function. ...

Charging an IPod with USB
I'm in China where their electrical supply is 220V. I am using my laptop to charge my stepson's IPod. However, he is sometimes at his father's house where he only has access to a desktop which is using the 220V electrical supply. Does the desktop USB connection supply the same amount of power as my laptop USB connection or will I toast his IPod when using the USB connection on the desktop? In other words, do all USB connections supply the same amount of output power, regardless of the input voltage? Please excuse my ignorance and thank you in advance for any assistan...

how do i add my signature to the end of a letter so it can print
I would like my signature to print, versus hand signing all individual letters. Any Help? Scan your signature and then insert scanned picture into the relevant documents? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "LAS" <LAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:423BAC38-ABD7-45DC-94ED-71A7C0EEB605@microsoft.com... >I would like my signature to print, versus hand signing all individual > letters. Any Help? You have to be kind of careful about that, though. Here at my work, some of the typists got ahold of the Lead Engineer's signatu...

Unable to unplug the USB device if I open and close any document from USB device from my application
Hi, I have written a aplication which support specific file format document say .dat file. By using this application I can open \ read \ write the .dat files. But If I open a .dat file which is present in USB device and modify the content of a file and close the file properly then if i try to unplug the USB (without closing my application) then Windows Vista \ XP will not allow to unplug the USB device it says "Windows can's stop your Generic volume device....." message box. To unplug the USB device I have to close my application. Can anyone please tell me why I am u...

Kensington PocketHUB Mini USB 2.0 - Hub - 4 ports
List Price:$21.95 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000VMWG9U Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000VMWG9U The Kensington PocketHUB Mini USB 2.0 is the fastest way to turn one port into four. When you're traveling, your business doesn't stop. Now you can plug in and get four ports to do just about everything - scan, print, use your favorite mouse. Small, compact and lightweight, this is the smartest move you can make. Plug and play that's ready to go anytime, anywhere. ...

Need External Hard Drive Recommendations
I want an external hard drive at least 1TB in capacity. I have been reading the reviews and they are all over the place. Some professional reviewers rate some of them very good but individual users rate them from excellent to poor (on the same drive). Some say thet're quiet and some say they're noisy. Most users say their drive broke down either out of the box or within one to three months. I want something reliable and would like your opinions as well as reviews I can get on the Internet (if possible). Looks like I'll have to go with the concensus. I looked at review...

thankyou letter to shareholder for donations and participation
need to prepare a letter to thank the shareholders for donations and participation in the end of year gala Any letter template could be used. As for content, you're on your own for that one. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "strasshofer" <strasshofer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE5E9E93-CE1A-4125-B9E8-176C16E71A3E@microsoft.com... > need to prepare a letter to thank the shareholders for donations and > participation in the end of year gala Thanks...

Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD?
Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD? Can it still be perhaps somewhere among temporary files? The story is short I saved s file in a USB disk and lost it... forgot to make a backup on my HDD. Do you know how to get down to the command (DOS) prompt on your pc? If you do take the following action:- 1. Go to DOS prompt. 2. Make sure you are at:- C:\> 3. Type in:- dir xxxxxx.xlsx /s - where xxxxxx.xlsx is the name of the file that you have lost. If it is still on your HDD the above command will tell you where it is (which direc...

Re: pst on a usb stick
Yep - that's what I have been doing. It's a minor price to pay for a very powerful capability (IMHO). Maybe I'll have to look into writing some VBA to close open PSTs then exit. Thanks! /SamCal/ Reply-To: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> From: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> References: <OywwLA5dIHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> <200851124616scalabrese@comcast.net> Subject: Re: pst on a usb stick Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:52:11 -0400 Lines: 49 Organization: Slipstick.com Message-ID: <77311BBA-C06C-42EC-A060-C9...

Spare Drives for Recovery
We have an Active/Active/Passive cluster for our Exchange 2003 mailboxes running on Windows 2003. Physically, each system has one logical drive, drive C: that the OS and Exchange software is installed on. The cluster resource groups are: Quorum disk is 2gig. MSDTC disk is 2gig. EXCH01 and EXCH02 each have two drives, a 20gig and a 120gig. The 20gig is the log file and transaction file drive, the 120gig drive is for the database/store files. Now, the database/store drives do not have enough room if we need to do a recovery storage group type of restore so we purchased a two 146gig drive...

Disable prompt for USB Driver
We are developing a system with CE 6.0 R2 that has a user accessible USB port. We want the user to be able to plug in flash drives so we can upload and download files. However if the user plugs in a device that is not supported via the built in drivers we get an Unidentified USB Device message box asking the user to enter the name of the driver. Is there a way to disable this prompt and basically have the system ignore the device? Thanks You can clone the USB Host driver and remove the call to CallGetDriverName() or you can clone NETUI and modify GetDriverName() The f...

i cannot view documents in vista from an external hard drive
I can't open anything that I saved onto an external hard drive now that I have the Vista system prior to this I had XP Help On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:38:00 -0800, Whizz <Whizz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Wrong news group. This one is about Microsoft Access, the database program. -Tom. >I can't open anything that I saved onto an external hard drive now that I >have the Vista system prior to this I had XP >Help ...

How can i prevent xp auto play, when i inject a usb storage?
I want to prvent xp autoplay in vc programmed when a usb storage is injected into machines, how can i do? I know set regedit, can do this , but i want to know any other method, especially in programm. You can do the same thing you would do when you use RegEdit. You can alter the registery using : RegOpenKeyEx(...) RegQueryValueEx(...) RegSetValueEx(...) AliR. "tanyuheng" <tanyuheng@etang.com> wrote in message news:%23uERaFi%23FHA.3036@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I want to prvent xp autoplay in vc programmed when a usb storage is injected > into machines, how can i...

USB optical mouse
Hello, I have windows xp home installed and it was installed with ps/s mouse and keyboard. I am trying to install a USB optical mouse and I got the error below: A problem has occured during the installation. Your hardware might not work correctly. The USB port is enabled and I usually connect USB stick memory drives and it works fine, but there is a problem with the mouse. Mouse lights up, initializes during Bios routine but somehow windows does not see it. Thank you On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:40:44 -0700 (PDT), Tester <calinguga@netscape.net> wrote: >Hello, >I have wi...

Don't want second sentence of e-mail tstart with capital letter?
When I receive e-mails, I only see my name on the e-mail. My old Outlook would tell me who sent it. Now, I see just my name until I open it to find out who sent it. How to change this to show sender Whats your Q got to do with the subject line? "Jimmylee" <Jimmylee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2844A70-D48D-4C4B-8E5F-9FA3ED5BE413@microsoft.com... > When I receive e-mails, I only see my name on the e-mail. > My old Outlook would tell me who sent it. > Now, I see just my name until I open it to find out who sent it. > How to change th...

Not receiving after hard drive upgrade
I installed a new hard drive (copied system and all files) and since then I do not get any emails. I reinstalled outlook and still no luck. It connects and runs through the send/receive with no errors but I do not get email. All the settings seem to be correct. Any ideas? Outlook 2003 "Francine Otterson" <FrancineOtterson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC2A75AA-FD98-4513-A5A5-1AA363D3431C@microsoft.com... > Possible the mail delivery location changed and mail is being delivered into > a personal folder and not the mailbox. > > What version of O...