Updating my old Comp.

Hello,
  I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
 Model:D845EBT
Version:AAA92334-304
NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
CPU Socket: 478mPGA
5 pci 1 agp slot

I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
will all work together.  thanks
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It's just not worth it, the money will be much better spent buying a new
machine.

John

tech support wrote:
> Hello,
>   I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
> and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
> to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
> with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
>  Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
> if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
> expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
> will all work together.  thanks
0
John
11/25/2009 10:18:36 PM
tech support wrote:
> Hello,
>   I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
> and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
> to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
> with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
>  Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
> if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
> expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
> will all work together.  thanks

Then at this point, all we can do, is analyze the computer case.

Regular (the most common) computer cases are ATX standard. They can
take a full-sized ATX motherboard at 12" x 9.6". Or, the smaller
cases are suited to microATX, at 9.6" x 9.6". The mounting holes on
the two standards have a common subset of holes. And a new microATX
motherboard, can take the place of your old microATX one. (You
can fit a microATX in a standard ATX's place, but not vice versa,
because there wouldn't be room.)

The "I/O plate" area on the back of the case, holds a thin metal plate.
It snaps into place. It has holes in it, matched to the motherboard.
When you buy a new motherboard, the old plate snaps out of the case,
and the plate provided with the new motherboard, takes its place. There
are springy metal contacts on the plate, and they're intended to rub
against the side of the I/O connectors, to help reduce EMI. You install
the plate, before lowering the motherboard into place. The fun part,
is getting the motherboard I/O connectors, through the holes in the
I/O plate.

That I/O plate has a standard location, and a number of standards,
including regular ATX and microATX, have that at the same location
relative to the motherboard.

The computer case can be super-tiny and thin. In that case, only
low profile cards fit. Some slim Dells are made that way. Not recommended,
due to the difficulty of finding add-in cards that fit.

As the case gets larger, you get room for more hard drive racks. Some
cases have the racks turned towards the front. That is great for an
"install once and forget" situation. But if you're always removing
drives, there are a few cases with side-mounted racks. Like the
Antec Sonata family. It has one front mount rack, and a side mount
rack.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-129-024-S08?$S640W$

Case dimensions also come into play, when selecting video cards. The
high end video cards have been getting longer and longer with
each generation. You might see cards being 10" long for example.
If you have a "lower rack" in your computer case, this can
bump into the video card. I'm lucky - I have a ten year old
computer case, which is missing the lower rack. It means I'll have
less problems fitting a video card, than other people have. On
the other hand, I have a severe limit on the number of drives
that fit in the case. And I can't have a side-mount rack either.

So have a look at your case. Check it for room for various things.
Check it for layout. Does it have a removable motherboard tray ?
My cheesy case with the missing lower rack, turned out to have
a removable tray. I didn't realize it did, until I took it apart
one day and noticed the screws. Turned out to be a very useful
feature. My current motherboard, only fits if I use the tray
(due to my choice of aftermarket CPU cooler).

If buying a replacement case, make sure it has features that
make doing your build easy. Like no crossbar, half way down the
opening on the case. That is less common now, and modern cases
tend to have unrestricted access to the motherboard area. If
you want to install the CPU heatsink/fan, before loading the
motherboard into the case, sometimes that crossbar gets in the way.
Then you have to fit the CPU cooler, with the motherboard
already installed in the case.

The ATX power supply standard, has two dimensions which are standard.
(The part that bolts to the case - the faceplate dimensions.)
Some supplies can be longer than others, extending further inside
the computer case. If you were to buy a 1200W power supply,
and had an old, long, CDROM drive you were using, they might
get pretty close to one another.

There is another standard called BTX, but there is no reason to
be thinking in that direction. That was never popular with home
builders.

So chances are good, that you could reuse the case. But check
the dimensions, the size of things, before "getting married" to
the old case.

   ATX article.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx

   BTX - the "mirror image" standard.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

Your power supply probably has a 2x2 ATX12V connector. That is
what powers the processor on modern systems. You might be missing
connectors for SATA hard drives (adapters are available) or
PCI Express auxiliary power connectors (adapters are available).
You can continue to use your existing supply, if the new components
are not high end stuff. For example, if you buy a video card that
uses 200+ watts, then the old ATX supply for sure, is not going to
be reusable. But if you're building a low end system, it is possible
even a 350W can be reused. Dual core 65W processors helps in that
regard.

Good luck,
    Paul
0
Paul
11/25/2009 10:53:07 PM
On Nov 25, 5:06=A0pm, tech support <tech
supp...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> =A0 I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R, =A0and i want to rip its g=
uts out
> and put =A0new hardware in. =A0The only problem is i have literally no id=
ea where
> to begin. =A0I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is comp=
atable
> with this system. =A0My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel=
 Corp.
> =A0Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram =
and
> if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card. =A0I know this will =
be
> expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
> will all work together. =A0thanks

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
0
Bob
11/26/2009 1:05:48 AM
Thanks alot Paul that was very informative, that exactly the info i needed at
this point.
I dont know why john john wasted his time posting a comment to my thread
when i specifically said i wasnt interested in the cost tho, i was alraedy
told that it would be cheaper to just buy a new comp.

tech support said this on 11/25/2009 5:06 PM:
> Hello,
>   I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
> and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
> to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
> with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
>  Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
> if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
> expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
> will all work together.  thanks

I would caution you that an old PC might have an under powered power
supply for new hardware.  It gets worse if you add more drives (as cheap
as they are now).    Some case + p/s are like $50.   It might not be
worth it.   Also the power connectors for new motherboards might not
match the current power supply, or the p/s might not have the new SATA
power plugs.   If you have to buy a p/s, now the only thing left is the
case, practically the cheapest part of a system.    ...okay the floppy
is cheaper.... LOL

0
Big_Al
11/26/2009 1:48:58 AM
tech support wrote:
>  I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its
> guts out and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have
> literally no idea where to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard
> but i dont know what is compatable with this system.  My current
> motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp. Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well
> as ram and if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I
> know this will be expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just
> what i need to buy that will all work together.  thanks

The thing that will limit you is the case.  If you are going to have to
replace the case, then there goes the power supply, the mptherboard, the
cpu, the memory, the video card, the sound card, etc.  You might be able to
slavage a CD/DVD drive or even the hard disk drive.  Beyond that - unless
you purchased high end video/audio - you'll be replacing *everything*
anyway.  So building a new custom machine and assembling everything yourself
or purchasing a new third-tier vendor pre-assembled would be best - not for
just a cost thing - but for realistic physical reasons. heh

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
11/26/2009 4:32:50 AM
Cheaper and more effective and not as costly "Go out a purchase a new one" --
Peter

"tech support" <tech support@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>  I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
> and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
> to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
> with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
> Model:D845EBT
> Version:AAA92334-304
> NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
> CPU Socket: 478mPGA
> 5 pci 1 agp slot
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
> if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
> expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
> will all work together.  thanks

0
Peter
11/26/2009 5:47:05 AM
tech support wrote:
> Thanks alot Paul that was very informative, that exactly the info i needed at
> this point.
> I dont know why john john wasted his time posting a comment to my thread
> when i specifically said i wasnt interested in the cost tho

Because I think that what you are trying to do is pure folly and I
thought you should know.  But if you want to keep spending and adding to
that old completely outdated box suit yourself.

John
0
John
11/26/2009 12:16:07 PM
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:06:19 -0800, tech support <tech support@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>  I have an old computer, a VPR Matrix 180R,  and i want to rip its guts out
>and put  new hardware in.  The only problem is i have literally no idea where
>to begin.  I want to get a new motherboard but i dont know what is compatable
>with this system.  My current motherboard specs are; Manufacturer:Intel Corp.
> Model:D845EBT
>Version:AAA92334-304
>NorthBridge: Intel i845E Rivision E0
>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
>CPU Socket: 478mPGA
>5 pci 1 agp slot
>
>I want to buy a new motherboard and then a new processor, as well as ram and
>if i have to a hard drive and a PCI-E graphics card.  I know this will be
>expensive, but im not asking about the cost, just what i need to buy that
>will all work together.  thanks

Dump it you can't update it, make a new one.

I am in the same boat  and have update and upgraded  some 3 to 4 times, time for a new case may be
Micro ATX etc..

I have just 3 things I can use,  Sata   DVD Buner , Sata Hard Drive and may be the 485W PSU..

0
billsmith
11/27/2009 3:35:47 AM

> Thanks alot Paul that was very informative, that exactly the info i needed
> at
> this point.
> I dont know why john john wasted his time posting a comment to my thread
> when i specifically said i wasnt interested in the cost tho, i was alraedy
> told that it would be cheaper to just buy a new comp.

I pretty much agree with John John on dumping the case for a new one.  The
power supply is old and may not support a new motherboard's power
requirements.  Putting in a new motherboard will require at the minimum a
repair install to add all the new features. The hard drive is also old and
if you are changing out the hardware anyway, a new larger drive should be
included in the purchase anyhow.  The old drive can be placed in the new
system to copy off the data.

0
LVTravel

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

old sales reps
I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find an answer to it. I had an employee quit that was a sales rep, now she still shows up in the login screen. Is there any ramifications to deleting her. There's no way to make it inactive and it's annoying having her show up on all the reports and the login screen. Am I stuck having her show up everywhere until the end of time? Craig Craig, I think it is a glaring omission to not be able to inactivate employees, so you can keep thier records, but not have to wade through them on a day to day basis. My solution ...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...

Client method called by RegisterStartupScript is firing but UI isn't updating
Can somebody look at the below code and tell me what I am doing wrong. I am uploading files and need to report back to the client when each upload has completed. for(i=0;i<=Request.Files.Count;i++) { int percentComplete = (int)Math.Ceiling((double)(i + 1) / (double) Request.Files.Count * 100); string message = string.Format("{0} of {1} uploaded", i + 1, Request.Files.Count); ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(this, this.GetType(), "progress" + i, @"do_progress('" + message + "','" + percentComplete + "');",...

Exchange updates?
Maybe I'm getting blocked at the firewall or something, but is there a process similar to Windows update that will tell you all of the recommended critical Exchange updates that need to be applied to your server? TIA WSUS. Andrew "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0926995-3D51-43A0-B537-57476FD63E6D@microsoft.com... > Maybe I'm getting blocked at the firewall or something, but is there a > process similar to Windows update that will tell you all of the > recommended > critical Exchange updates that need to be ap...