OT: Athlon 5600+ DRII memory requirements....

....am sOOooo rusty.

Aunty's PC has a Skt. AM2 Asrock AliveNF6P-VSTA motherboard in it with
single core  3800+ 2.4ghz cpu,
and 2 x 512mb's PC2-5300 ((166 actual?) / 333 mhz)

...and I just nabbed her a
AMD Athon 64 x2 CPU 5600+ (ADA5600IAA6CZ) (2800mhz) AM2, on ebay.

I gather that to have the thing operating at its' best, we would fit
PC2-6400 memory modules - whch would  run at 200mhz on the board, before
double-data rate and fsb/cpu core internal quad-pumping etc. confusing
considerations !

And I gather that if I fit the dual core chip which supports
1066*/800/667/533 fsb frequencies, the board fsb actual freq. will be 166
mhz using PC2-5300 modules.

So would it pay to buy new PC2-6400 (200mhz) memory modules, or will it be
satisfactory, performance wise, to leave the PC2-5300 in there, and avoid
the cost of replacing it ?

TIA

regards, Richard

0
RJK
2/14/2010 4:31:19 PM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

RJK wrote:
> ...am sOOooo rusty.
>
> Aunty's PC has a Skt. AM2 Asrock AliveNF6P-VSTA motherboard in it with
> single core  3800+ 2.4ghz cpu,
> and 2 x 512mb's PC2-5300 ((166 actual?) / 333 mhz)
>
> ..and I just nabbed her a
> AMD Athon 64 x2 CPU 5600+ (ADA5600IAA6CZ) (2800mhz) AM2, on ebay.
>
> I gather that to have the thing operating at its' best, we would fit
> PC2-6400 memory modules - whch would  run at 200mhz on the board, before
> double-data rate and fsb/cpu core internal quad-pumping etc. confusing
> considerations !
>
> And I gather that if I fit the dual core chip which supports
> 1066*/800/667/533 fsb frequencies, the board fsb actual freq. will be 166
> mhz using PC2-5300 modules.
>
> So would it pay to buy new PC2-6400 (200mhz) memory modules, or will it be
> satisfactory, performance wise, to leave the PC2-5300 in there, and avoid
> the cost of replacing it ?
>
> TIA
>
> regards, Richard

1) The memory controller is on the processor.

2) The memory clock is synthesized by the processor. The value it uses, is
    selected to not exceed the module rating. The core clock is divided down
    to make a signal suitable for driving the module. Since the divider has
    limited resolution (it is very coarse), depending on your processor,
    it may not be able to make precisely the correct clock value. It will
    make the "next lowest" clock value, if that is the case. I think both
    your old processor and the new one, don't have that problem.

3) There is no "quad pumping" on AMD. That is an Intel terminology, related
    to the externally visible FSB. On AMD, the equivalent of the FSB, is inside
    the processor. There is probably a web page somewhere, that discusses
    whether there are bottlenecks inside the processor itself. On AMD, the
    external bus is HyperTransport, which uses a smaller number of higher speed
    signals, to communicate to the Northbridge and its PCI Express video card slot.

As far as I know, you could leave the memory there, install the new processor
and it would work.

As far as a "trigger" for changing the memory, carry out the following test
before disassembling the system.

1) Run Prime95 in Torture Test mode. Does it run for hours without reporting
    errors ? If no errors are found, your existing RAM could still be error free.
    If the memory shows errors, and especially if you can find stuck-at faults
    with something like a memtest86+ floppy, then go shopping for new memory.
    Memory fails often enough, that memory errors provide a better reason to
    spend money on new modules, than just making speed changes.

If the existing memory is running well, just plug in the new processor and
use it.

The main benefit of a dual core processor, as a replacement for a
single core processor, is smoother desktop operation. Single core processors
don't seem to operate as smoothly, in my testing here. So that would be the
most visible benefit. If Aunty uses Photoshop, that might run faster with
the new processor. Or even web browsing could be faster.

Generally speaking, buying expensive boutique memory is a poorer investment,
than getting a faster processor. Memory speed changes add a few percentage
points to overall performance. You need a pathological case such as WinRAR
compression or Photoshop, to get a little more benefit from faster memory.
But for balanced desktop operation (a little of every kind of application),
it isn't worth the bother of changing it. Aunty would likely not
be able to tell the difference, if you did a blind test and installed
either the old memory, or your new boutique memory. If all Aunty does,
is run memory bandwidth benchmarks all day long, then naturally she would
want "only the best" memory for that.

    Paul
0
Paul
> [...]
> the
> most visible benefit. If Aunty uses Photoshop, that might run faster with
> the new processor. Or even web browsing could be faster.
>
> Generally speaking, buying expensive boutique memory is a poorer
> investment,
> than getting a faster processor. Memory speed changes add a few percentage
> points to overall performance. You need a pathological case such as WinRAR
> compression or Photoshop, to get a little more benefit from faster memory.
> But for balanced desktop operation (a little of every kind of
> application),
> it isn't worth the bother of changing it. Aunty would likely not
> be able to tell the difference, if you did a blind test and installed
> either the old memory, or your new boutique memory. If all Aunty does,
> is run memory bandwidth benchmarks all day long, then naturally she would

Thank you so much, ....MUCH appreciated.

regards, Richard

0
RJK

inetinfo memory increasing, normal?
i was just wondering- the inetinfo process is increasing steadily and never seems to drop. It is not spiking it just is steadily increasing everyday even when no users are logged onto the mail server. I am using exchange 2003 sp2 with the /3g switch and have 2.5 gb of memory and a page file of about 4gb on my drive, the other 2 drives consist of a database and a logging drive. I also have a front end OWA server also exchange 2003. I am not sure if the queue would cause it so I checked the queue and :The queue seems ok there are about 2500 queues totaling about 10000 messages in ...

Low memory #3
I am getting the message "Not enough memory to convert the text formatting", I have been using MS Office Publisher 2007 as a stand alone with MS Office XP Small Business. Yesterday I updated to MS Office Standard 2007. I am getting the message above and have ran SpeedupmyPC, RegistryBooster2,Trend Micro PC-cillin 2007 (thinking it was a virus) and down loaded all of the MS Updates that I could find. Nothing is helping and I must get a newsletter out in the next day or two. I'm ready to pull my hair out. CAN ANYONE HELP? Could be your swap file. "Your system is low on virt...

formula requirement
In g10 I will have one of four answers: it could be 1 to 5 6 to 10 11 to 15 16 to 20 If the answer sd 1 to 5 I want the response to be "a" should the answer in G10 between 11 and 15 I want to return "c" Will someone please help with the foluma. Thanks Hi Try =IF(G10<6,"a",IF(G10<11,"b",IF(G10<16,"c","d"))) -- Regards Roger Govier "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60847A0B-736B-4EC6-B279-DF13BC8400DD@microsoft.com... > In g10 I will have one of four answers: > it c...

OT...check this out...OT
http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ try all the controls -- John Inzer Thanks John...pretty nifty. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message news:uuhImG%23mFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ > try all the controls > > -- > > John Inzer > > ...

memory full
i cannot reply or create a message in my outlook express mail. it always pop up the message"there was an error in opening this message" and "memory is full". i already empty the deleted messages, draft and other folders. what else am i going to do to free the memoy? please help me. thank you. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5...

VC and Cobra and OTS
Hello, Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with other UNIX system? Do you mean CORBA? WTH "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk> wrote in message news:OJ6KUh%232DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with > other UNIX system? > > > > yes ..... sorry. "WTH" <spamsucks@Ih8it.com> wrote in message news:u09iMT$2DHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Do you mean CORBA? > > WTH > > "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk>...

How do I increase memory in Office 2003?
Trying to access the office assistant I get a "not enough memory" popup ...

Conditional Required text
Hi there, I know this is a simple one, but I am creating a spreadsheet for unique work task numbers at work. Basically this file will be the master list and should have limited access. I can do this bit. What I want the spreadsheet to do is to have a column that is required to have text entered when I edit one of the work task numbers. Is this possible? Also I would like to record the changes/revision history with dates of the change. In the required text column the user can type in their assumptions for the change. Thanks in advance ------------------------------------------------ ~...

OT
OT - OFF - TOPIC Hola amig@s; El gobierno Colombiano en su continuo inter�s de ofrecer oportunidades acad�micas y profesionales a todos sus habitantes y a todos los interesados en capacitaci�n ha preparado una de las mejores plataformas de educaci�n virtual, con cursos virtuales "certificados" con cero costo. Los invito a visitar la WEB del Servicio nacional de Aprendizaje, nacionales o extranjeros pueden acceder a una de las plataformas educativas gratuitas mejor estructuradas y pagadas por todos los Colombianos. Hay cursos de inform�tica, office, outlook , cursos de Excel...

OT...Ping...Brian Kvalheim...OT
Hey...Brian... Check your e-mail. If you didn't receive anything from me...give me a current address. -- John Inzer Hmmmm you didn't send me anything John Inzer wrote: || Hey...Brian... || || Check your e-mail. || || If you didn't receive anything from || me...give me a current address. || || -- || || John Inzer Did not receive anything. I am at bkvalheim@hotmail.com -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: >...

Memory issues
Hi folks, I'm using Outlook 2003 on Win XP SP2. What would effect how much memory Outlook uses? I've noticed it jumping around all over the place between say 30Mb - 300Mb of RAM. Although I don't understand what's causing the behaviour. The only plugin I use is Cloudmark Desktop's anti-spam tool, which I assume would have nothing to do with it. Any thoughts on what would cause this dramatic memory usage? -- StainlessSteelRat http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." -- The...

How do I make checkboxes required?
I have a series of checkboxes on my form. I need the user to have clicked in each one of them to verify that step was taken before being allowed to close the screen. I selected yes on the required area of the master table, but it's still not enforcing the requirement. Any help is appreciated. (p.s. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star Taylor You can check the values of each checkbox in the Unload event of the form. If any are not checked (are either Null or value = 0) then set Cancel = 1, which will prevent the form from closing. Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer) If IsNul...

Virtual memory increasing.
Hi, I have developed an application in VB6 and if I run that executable ( for 40 hours continously) it keeps on increasing virtual memory until I recieve an error like no more memory can be allocated. I have two machines and this problem come only on one machine, I believe memory is managed by COM runtime or VB runtime in VB6 by reference counting. Can you please help me how can I solve this problem? Best Regards Ahmad "Ahmad" <Ahmad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4F5F26A-F40B-454F-94C3-98DFC62AC64B@microsoft.com... > Hi, > >...

Low memory error when saving publisher files
I get the following error when saving any publisher files. Even new ones. "Due to low memory or use of a floppy other than the one you started with, Publisher has had to rename your publication A:\FILENAME.TMP. To resume, close all programs including Publisher; then restart Publisher and open the file. You may rename the publication." I have tried: - uninstalling and reinstalling publisher. - reinstalling office - reinstalled adobe acrobat - increasing virtual memory HELP! I don't know what to do now... Are you trying to save your file to a floppy? If so, never, ever, ev...

Intercepting memory accesses
I want to get some idea of how to approach the following problem. I'm very interested in being able to intercept read/writes from/to mapped memory pages, be they resident in physical memory or paged out to disk. I'd like to detect these operations when they arise from either a local process or one running on a networked machine. I'd also like to be able to detect when an app on some remote machine opens and maps a file from the local machine and unmaps it. I've not written a device driver before and know it is far from trivial, although I am a seasoned develo...

Removing Email Field Requirements
Is there a way to remove email field requirements / validation. Some of our clients are fax reciepients only and we were able to send faxes using [fax: @2125551212] in the email field but CRM requires @something.com. Thanks, Joe Joe, Currently there is no supported way to customize the activities in MSCRM. This has been indicated that it will be in the v2 release next year though. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:03:37 -0700, "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Is there a way...

ot question
except for being something i need to do in an mfc app i'm working on this doesn't really have anything to do with mfc.... but its as bad a place to start as any other group i watch. i need a kind of generic algorithm to take an array of 3d points that describe a surface, then given two coordinates of another point interpolate the third coordinate on the surface. picture it like you have a set of random latitude, longitude and elevation points, then want to find the elevation of any given latitude and longitude coordinate. (over a small area, don't worry about spherical earth and...

Kind of OT, kind of not OT
As some of you know, I used to work for a major computer manufacturer. Well, earlier today I stopped to see some of the people I used to work with in a neighboring town. While I was there, one of the employees was going to deal with a customer issue. He had ordered Office (not sure which version) on Jan 28 and was chewing everyone's butt out stating he STILL hadn't received it. He'd called the tech support department and the local presence and bitched at everyone. After doing some double-checking, the young woman found his receipt and apparently she remembered this customer. She ...

Displaying of Required Fields
Hello, With Dynamics GP, I had gone into the user preferences and changed the display of my required fields, worked great. Then, because I had some issues with other things, I decided to do a complete re-install, so the required fields just went back to normal text. I again went into user preferences and changed the display of the required fields to black font...bolded...and when I hit apply, that is how it shows in the user preferences display preview window. However, in GP, all the required fields are just plain black font. Anyone ever have this problem or know of a f...

Required scan code(can it be generated from virtual code) for option key in treo 700wx sprint device
Hi, We are working on Treo 700wx sprint device. In that on clicking option button twice the aplhabet key board can be used as numeric keyboard . In our application on start up we have to make this happen programatically. So we have used the keybd_event function for making an key press programatically. This function mainly requires two parameters .. They are 1. Virtual Key Code 2. Scan code by using the pretranslatemessage function we are able to find out the virtualkeycode .i.e 202 in decimal and (CA) in Hexa Decimal. In windowsMobile 5.0 pocket pc sdk it we checked for this virtual k...

Outlook requires a password but none has been set
Hi, I upgraded to Office 2007 only to find that Outlook is asking for a password for the pst file. I've never set a password on it before. Since then, Outlook is launching in secure mode as it says it was there was an issue with a file. I cant get it back to normal. Thanks for your help. Jonathan Try this to see if it helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/passwordonpst.htm -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Clientsol" wrote: > Hi, > I upgraded to Office 2007 only to find that Outlook is...

Not enough memory to print to pdf
When I tried to print a 12 page newsletter in pdf I got a message that there wasn't enough memory in Publisher to print more than 9 pages. I have printed longer newsletters in the past. How do I increase the memory in Publisher? I am using Publisher 2003. This article, while it addresses version 6 of Acrobat, will help. How to configure Acrobat Distiller to work with Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826360/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "The chemist" <The chemist@discussions.mic...

Outlook 2002 SP3 Virtual Memory / Crashing problem
Hello, all. I have Outlook 2002 SP3 on my work laptop. (thus, upgrading is not an option.) I have recently broken out the .pst into multiple files, and run the outlook repair program against the main .pst file. Even before that I have had a problem where outlook, even sitting, will in a period of time (anywhere from 20 minutes to hours) will lock up. It will lock up the entire computer. A Virtual Memory is running low, making more box is presented, and eventually outlook will crash. Then the computer recovers. It can lock the computer up for 5 minutes. Any quick ideas? My main PST file is ra...

IE8 Appears to have a memory leak on my system.
When I start IE8 it has a small memory footprint. Not long after I start to browse it jumps to 100 MB and can get to 250 MB. Tabs become unresponsive and if I try to close the window it makes the error sound and it wont close. Almost everytime I use it this happens. I have to open my task manager and end the iexplorer.exe processes. This is becoming a hassle. I loved IE8 when it first came about but now I have nothing but problems. I like Firefox but like IE8 more. If this isn't fixed I'm going to switch to firefox. I should be able to close my IE8 without having to use t...

sending Direct Email requires Domain Admin right?
Hi. We have a problem with CRM users not baing able to send Direct Email messages. It comes back with a message - "You do not have sufficient access rights or privileges to perform this action" Server is Win2003 with SP1, and CRM servers and clients have all updates installed. The user is Local Administrator on his PC, the problem will be solved if I add the user to Domain Administrators group. I tried to change DCOM security rights for CMR Exchange connector but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Thanks. Hi, I was having exactly the same problem - only Doma...