HP Pavilion Intel 8200 runs slower than other Intel Q8200

I have an HP p6140f+, Pavilion Q8200 Intel CPU desktop. Windows 7, 8 GB of
RAM.
After I have defragged the C drive perfectly, deleted all cookies,
significantly reduced Restore points, have no applications loaded other than
ESET NOD32 AV, Graphic PCI Express 9400 GT, and running Passmark Performance
Test, version 7, after the many tests are done this new desktop gets an
overall score of 691.

When I get the worldwide database for the same CPU Q8200 and the same
Graphics card and the same (or less RAM I find overall scores of 1220, 1144,
1191, 1292 and higher.

Talking to HP is useless.

Any ideas?

0
Ritter197
4/5/2010 2:11:48 AM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Isn't this a Q for a Win 7 group and not a win Xp one?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/threads

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have an HP p6140f+, Pavilion Q8200 Intel CPU desktop. Windows 7, 8 GB of
> RAM.
> After I have defragged the C drive perfectly, deleted all cookies,
> significantly reduced Restore points, have no applications loaded other
> than ESET NOD32 AV, Graphic PCI Express 9400 GT, and running Passmark
> Performance Test, version 7, after the many tests are done this new
> desktop gets an overall score of 691.
>
> When I get the worldwide database for the same CPU Q8200 and the same
> Graphics card and the same (or less RAM I find overall scores of 1220,
> 1144, 1191, 1292 and higher.
>
> Talking to HP is useless.
>
> Any ideas?

0
DL
4/5/2010 8:46:25 AM
Ritter197 wrote:

> I have an HP p6140f+, Pavilion Q8200 Intel CPU desktop. Windows 7, 8 GB
> of RAM.
> After I have defragged the C drive perfectly, deleted all cookies,
> significantly reduced Restore points, have no applications loaded other
> than ESET NOD32 AV, Graphic PCI Express 9400 GT, and running Passmark
> Performance Test, version 7, after the many tests are done this new
> desktop gets an overall score of 691.
>
> When I get the worldwide database for the same CPU Q8200 and the same
> Graphics card and the same (or less RAM I find overall scores of 1220,
> 1144, 1191, 1292 and higher.
>
> Talking to HP is useless.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you disable ESET NOD32 AV, before starting a benchmark run ?

It is possible, an AV would be scanning any files which are being
read by the benchmark. With the AV disabled, perhaps disk access
will be faster.

Since the Passmark suite tests multiple aspects of the computer, you
should be comparing the individual test results, and determining
which test result most negatively affects your score.

    Paul
0
Paul
4/5/2010 10:18:31 AM
Never heard of 2 different Intel CPU's.
It is a Intel Q8200 that came with the HP desktop, for sure. And with
Windows 7.

"DL" <invalid@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Isn't this a Q for a Win 7 group and not a win Xp one?
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/threads
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have an HP p6140f+, Pavilion Q8200 Intel CPU desktop. Windows 7, 8 GB
>> of RAM.
>> After I have defragged the C drive perfectly, deleted all cookies,
>> significantly reduced Restore points, have no applications loaded other
>> than ESET NOD32 AV, Graphic PCI Express 9400 GT, and running Passmark
>> Performance Test, version 7, after the many tests are done this new
>> desktop gets an overall score of 691.
>>
>> When I get the worldwide database for the same CPU Q8200 and the same
>> Graphics card and the same (or less RAM I find overall scores of 1220,
>> 1144, 1191, 1292 and higher.
>>
>> Talking to HP is useless.
>>
>> Any ideas?

0
Ritter197
4/5/2010 7:04:23 PM
It is the CPU, it test the lowest and brings the overall test results down
to its lowest level.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>>
>> I have an HP p6140f+, Pavilion Q8200 Intel CPU desktop. Windows 7, 8 GB
>> of RAM.
>> After I have defragged the C drive perfectly, deleted all cookies,
>> significantly reduced Restore points, have no applications loaded other
>> than ESET NOD32 AV, Graphic PCI Express 9400 GT, and running Passmark
>> Performance Test, version 7, after the many tests are done this new
>> desktop gets an overall score of 691.
>>
>> When I get the worldwide database for the same CPU Q8200 and the same
>> Graphics card and the same (or less RAM I find overall scores of 1220,
>> 1144, 1191, 1292 and higher.
>>
>> Talking to HP is useless.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Do you disable ESET NOD32 AV, before starting a benchmark run ?
>
> It is possible, an AV would be scanning any files which are being
> read by the benchmark. With the AV disabled, perhaps disk access
> will be faster.
>
> Since the Passmark suite tests multiple aspects of the computer, you
> should be comparing the individual test results, and determining
> which test result most negatively affects your score.
>
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/5/2010 7:05:40 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> It is the CPU, it test the lowest and brings the overall test results
> down to its lowest level.

OK, you have two options.

1) Go into the BIOS and disable EIST (Intel SpeedStep).
    SpeedStep allows the processor to go from "high multiplier" to
    "low multiplier" to save power.

2) If you cannot find such an adjustment in the BIOS, go into Windows
    and visit the control panels. There should be a panel for "Power Management"
    of some sort. It has "power schemes" in it. At least one of the schemes
    will be a "high power" scheme. The "Always ON" one is the one I'd select.
    Make note of the current setting, then switch to "Always ON" and run the
    benchmark again.

You can also verify the system frequencies, using CPUZ. You can use the
"no-install" version here. Check both the CPU frequency, and see if the
memory settings are giving abnormally low results.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

CPUZ is supposed to update the processor frequency value, on the fly. So
if you went from "low multiplier" to "high multiplier", the speed of the
processor shown, should be seen to change as well. If you use the "Always ON"
power scheme, to disable SpeedStep, then CPUZ should stay at the rated CPU
speed at all times. Even when the computer is idle. While the PassMark is
running, keep an eye on the CPUZ window, and it should stay at the
top speed.

The Q8200 is listed here as 2.33GHz at FSB1333. 1333/4 = 333. 2330/333 = 7.
So 7 is the high multiplier. I expect the low multiplier is probably something
like 6, and 6*333=2.0GHz. So when I think about it, SpeedStep really shouldn't
make that much difference to the benchmark. The high and low settings of
your processor, are pretty close together.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB5M

If you go to Task Manager (control-alt-delete), do you see four performance
graphs ? That implies four cores.

http://img.techpowerup.org/080221/quad.jpg

There can be a couple reasons for seeing only one graph in Task Manager. There
is a preference setting in Task Manager, to display the utilization of the
quad core, as one graph. But the other reason, is the OS is only using one
core at the moment, rather than all four. It is possible for the OS to only
be using one of the cores, leaving the other three idle.

So, your next place to visit. would be Device Manager. Check the "Computer"
entry. If you click the (+) next to the word "Computer", underneath it,
you should see the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) type. Mine right now,
reads...

    "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

as I have a dual core Core2. If I had only one core, then the word
Multiprocessor might be replaced by Uniprocessor. The Uniprocessor
HAL supports the operation of a single core.

Windows allows easily changing the "driver" for that item. Using only
a driver change from the available drivers, you can switch from
"Uniprocessor" to "Multiprocessor", and thereby you will get four
graphs in Task Manager.

Some other HAL transition cases, are not as easy. For example, if the
"Computer" entry in Device Manager said "Standard PC", then you're in
much worse shape. That may not be fixable using a simple driver upgrade.
"Standard PC" makes no reference to ACPI, and means that ACPI is not
working. If you were to attempt a shutdown in WinXP, with the Computer
being a "Standard PC", then you would not be able to "soft off" the
computer. You'd see the old Win98 "It is Safe to Turn Off This Computer"
kind of message on the screen instead.

In terms of ACPI compliance, it is possible for a computer BIOS to be
so broken, as to prevent ACPI installation. On my retail motherboards
here, I have an option in the BIOS to select "ACPI 2.0 compliance", but
I doubt that setting is really important. Another setting in the BIOS
I've seen, is "MPS Standard" of either version 1.1 or 1.4. Switching
to version 1.4, may make it possible for an older dual core computer,
to assume its "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" role in Windows.

Since you have an HP, I doubt any of that is relevant to you, as they
would have set everything up right. But at least you can poke around
in Device Manager and Task Manager, and see what's up.

    Paul
0
Paul
4/6/2010 12:35:52 AM
Ritter197 wrote:
> It is the CPU, it test the lowest and brings the overall test results
> down to its lowest level.

Use a power management scheme that doesn't throttle the processor.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
4/7/2010 4:54:17 PM
I set it always in windows control panel for highest performance. (Win7)

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> It is the CPU, it test the lowest and brings the overall test results
>> down to its lowest level.
>

> Use a power management scheme that doesn't throttle the processor.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Ritter197
4/8/2010 1:26:39 AM
Ritter197 wrote:
> I set it always in windows control panel for highest performance. (Win7)

Have you looked in Task Manager yet, to see if you have four graphs
of processor performance. That is one way to prove all four cores
are reporting in to Windows 7. If the OS is only using one core,
that can account for poor performance.

    Paul
0
Paul
4/8/2010 1:40:41 AM
In Task manger under Windows 7 I see under Performance  I see CPU usage
about 1 % and Memory usage at 1.86 GB. I see no bars. Which tab???

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I set it always in windows control panel for highest performance. (Win7)
>
> Have you looked in Task Manager yet, to see if you have four graphs
> of processor performance. That is one way to prove all four cores
> are reporting in to Windows 7. If the OS is only using one core,
> that can account for poor performance.
>
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/8/2010 2:06:21 AM
Ritter197 wrote:
> In Task manger under Windows 7 I see under Performance  I see CPU usage
> about 1 % and Memory usage at 1.86 GB. I see no bars. Which tab???

There is a partial shot of a Task Manager window here. This picture
is from the "Performance" tab and shows one pane per core. Task Manager
usually has a setting, where you can select one pane for the whole
computer, rather than displaying each core. So first you'd check to see if
that is the case. If it is set to "View" "CPU History" "One Graph Per CPU",
then you should see four panes, as in this picture. If you only see one pane,
then the system is only using one of your four cores.

http://img.techpowerup.org/080221/quad.jpg

    Paul

>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> I set it always in windows control panel for highest performance. (Win7)
>>
>> Have you looked in Task Manager yet, to see if you have four graphs
>> of processor performance. That is one way to prove all four cores
>> are reporting in to Windows 7. If the OS is only using one core,
>> that can account for poor performance.
>>
>>    Paul

0
Paul
4/8/2010 4:04:48 AM
Paul, Thanks for the feedback.
When I go to TM and View I can see 1 CPU and it cannot be changed.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> In Task manger under Windows 7 I see under Performance  I see CPU usage
>> about 1 % and Memory usage at 1.86 GB. I see no bars. Which tab???
>
> There is a partial shot of a Task Manager window here. This picture
> is from the "Performance" tab and shows one pane per core. Task Manager
> usually has a setting, where you can select one pane for the whole
> computer, rather than displaying each core. So first you'd check to see if
> that is the case. If it is set to "View" "CPU History" "One Graph Per
> CPU",
> then you should see four panes, as in this picture. If you only see one
> pane,
> then the system is only using one of your four cores.
>
> http://img.techpowerup.org/080221/quad.jpg
>
>    Paul
>

>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Have you looked in Task Manager yet, to see if you have four graphs
>>> of processor performance. That is one way to prove all four cores
>>> are reporting in to Windows 7. If the OS is only using one core,
>>> that can account for poor performance.
>>>
>>>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/8/2010 3:42:48 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> Paul, Thanks for the feedback.
> When I go to TM and View I can see 1 CPU and it cannot be changed.

OK, now go to Device Manager, and look at the "Computer" entry.
It should say something about "Multiprocessor", not "Uniprocessor".

This is an example of the Computer entry in Device Manager.
If the value is currently "ACPI Uniprocessor", then the driver
update option can be used to change it to ACPI Multiprocessor.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/gzpfoody/z177.jpg

Before doing that, you would also review your BIOS settings.
At power up, usually there is some key press mentioned in your
manual, to enter the BIOS. On my computers here, as the computer
is starting, a message on the screen tells me which key to press
to enter the BIOS. On my current Asus motherboard, I'm to press
the "Delete" key. On my previous Asrock board, the key for the
BIOS was "F2".

Once inside the BIOS, some useful things to check under the
"Power" BIOS entry or similar:

1) Suspend Mode - S1 only, S3 only, Auto

    Auto should allow S3, or you can select S3 only. In any
    case, any method used to allow S3, will allow the computer
    to be placed in standby with the fans off.

2) ACPI 2.0 Support

    Enable this. I think the ACPI standard is even up to 3.0 now,
    but 2.0 is what is showing in my BIOS right now.

3) On one of my motherboards (not the current one), the
    under the Chipset subsection, there is an

    MPS Revision [1.1 or 1.4]

I can't be sure, but I might have had that set to 1.4. In some cases,
that setting prevents the HAL change needed in Windows. So if the
machine refuses to go to "ACPI Multiprocessor", the reason could be
the MPS setting.

So you can visit these issues in either order. You can go into
the BIOS and have a look around. Or you can go into the Device
Manager in WinXP and try to change the "Computer" HAL value
to "ACPI Multiprocessor" with a "Driver Update" from the menu.

If the computer doesn't have an MPS Revision option at all, it
might already be set to 1.4 .

HTH,
      Paul
0
Paul
4/8/2010 8:00:48 PM
I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
others.
The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
Nothing else.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> Paul, Thanks for the feedback.
>> When I go to TM and View I can see 1 CPU and it cannot be changed.
>>

> OK, now go to Device Manager, and look at the "Computer" entry.
> It should say something about "Multiprocessor", not "Uniprocessor".
>
> This is an example of the Computer entry in Device Manager.
> If the value is currently "ACPI Uniprocessor", then the driver
> update option can be used to change it to ACPI Multiprocessor.
>
> http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/gzpfoody/z177.jpg
>
> Before doing that, you would also review your BIOS settings.
> At power up, usually there is some key press mentioned in your
> manual, to enter the BIOS. On my computers here, as the computer
> is starting, a message on the screen tells me which key to press
> to enter the BIOS. On my current Asus motherboard, I'm to press
> the "Delete" key. On my previous Asrock board, the key for the
> BIOS was "F2".
>
> Once inside the BIOS, some useful things to check under the
> "Power" BIOS entry or similar:
>
> 1) Suspend Mode - S1 only, S3 only, Auto
>
>    Auto should allow S3, or you can select S3 only. In any
>    case, any method used to allow S3, will allow the computer
>    to be placed in standby with the fans off.
>
> 2) ACPI 2.0 Support
>
>    Enable this. I think the ACPI standard is even up to 3.0 now,
>    but 2.0 is what is showing in my BIOS right now.
>
> 3) On one of my motherboards (not the current one), the
>    under the Chipset subsection, there is an
>
>    MPS Revision [1.1 or 1.4]
>
> I can't be sure, but I might have had that set to 1.4. In some cases,
> that setting prevents the HAL change needed in Windows. So if the
> machine refuses to go to "ACPI Multiprocessor", the reason could be
> the MPS setting.
>
> So you can visit these issues in either order. You can go into
> the BIOS and have a look around. Or you can go into the Device
> Manager in WinXP and try to change the "Computer" HAL value
> to "ACPI Multiprocessor" with a "Driver Update" from the menu.
>
> If the computer doesn't have an MPS Revision option at all, it
> might already be set to 1.4 .
>
> HTH,
>      Paul

0
Ritter197
4/8/2010 11:08:36 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
> others.
> The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
> Nothing else.

There is a table here, with some common values for entering the BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=buu08011

Computer make or model    Press this key to enter the BIOS

Compaq Presario           Press the F10 key at the red Compaq logo as the computer starts.
Dell Dimension            Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
Dell OptiPlex             Press the F2 key or CTRL + ALT + ENTER keys as the computer starts.
Dell Latitude (except LM) Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
Dell Inspiron/Latitude LM Press the F2 key as the computer starts.
Emachines                 Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
Gateway                   Press the F1 key as the computer starts.
HP Pavilion (most models) Press the F1 key at the blue HP screen as the computer starts.
HP Vectra and Kayak       Press the F2 key at the blue HP screen as the computer starts.
IBM ThinkPad              Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
IBM Aptiva                Press the F1 key at the blue IBM screen as the computer starts.

You have a Pavilion p6140f with an Asus IPIBL-LB (HP name = benicia-GL8E) motherboard.

So my guess would be, " Press F1 ".

*******
Hmmm.

ACPI X64 based PC. You probably want to change to "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based pc" ?
What is interesting, is I find so few hits for that HAL, on the Microsoft site.

You seem to be ACPI compliant, as otherwise you couldn't run the HAL you have currently.
I would check the BIOS settings (like, for the MPS thing), and also take a look through
this article, for anything you may have added to that computer along the way. Then, try the
"driver update" option for what currently shows as "ACPI X64 based PC".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

    Paul
0
Paul
4/9/2010 12:46:54 AM
Believe it or not. After HOURS of trying I finally got down to the basement
and dragged up another keyboard.
THAT one works for F10.
Will read again your suggestion  a few threads back and let you know.
Thanks for all the help!!!!

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
>> others.
>> The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
>> Nothing else.
>
> There is a table here, with some common values for entering the BIOS.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=buu08011
>
> Computer make or model    Press this key to enter the BIOS
>
> Compaq Presario           Press the F10 key at the red Compaq logo as the
> computer starts.
> Dell Dimension            Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
> Dell OptiPlex             Press the F2 key or CTRL + ALT + ENTER keys as
> the computer starts.
> Dell Latitude (except LM) Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any
> time.
> Dell Inspiron/Latitude LM Press the F2 key as the computer starts.
> Emachines                 Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
> Gateway                   Press the F1 key as the computer starts.
> HP Pavilion (most models) Press the F1 key at the blue HP screen as the
> computer starts.
> HP Vectra and Kayak       Press the F2 key at the blue HP screen as the
> computer starts.
> IBM ThinkPad              Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any
> time.
> IBM Aptiva                Press the F1 key at the blue IBM screen as the
> computer starts.
>
> You have a Pavilion p6140f with an Asus IPIBL-LB (HP name = benicia-GL8E)
> motherboard.
>
> So my guess would be, " Press F1 ".
>
> *******
> Hmmm.
>
> ACPI X64 based PC. You probably want to change to "ACPI Multiprocessor
> x64-based pc" ?
> What is interesting, is I find so few hits for that HAL, on the Microsoft
> site.
>
> You seem to be ACPI compliant, as otherwise you couldn't run the HAL you
> have currently.
> I would check the BIOS settings (like, for the MPS thing), and also take a
> look through
> this article, for anything you may have added to that computer along the
> way. Then, try the
> "driver update" option for what currently shows as "ACPI X64 based PC".
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903
>
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/9/2010 2:33:23 AM
I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)

Under POWER I have only 2 options:
    After power failure      Automatic
    XD(Execute Disable)       Enable
Nothing for Suspend modes.
Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have not yet succeeded to get to BIOS. No DEL, No F2, and a number of
>> others.
>> The device Manager says under CPU : ACPIX64 based PC.
>> Nothing else.
>
> There is a table here, with some common values for entering the BIOS.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=buu08011
>
> Computer make or model    Press this key to enter the BIOS
>
> Compaq Presario           Press the F10 key at the red Compaq logo as the
> computer starts.
> Dell Dimension            Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
> Dell OptiPlex             Press the F2 key or CTRL + ALT + ENTER keys as
> the computer starts.
> Dell Latitude (except LM) Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any
> time.
> Dell Inspiron/Latitude LM Press the F2 key as the computer starts.
> Emachines                 Press the DELETE key as the computer starts.
> Gateway                   Press the F1 key as the computer starts.
> HP Pavilion (most models) Press the F1 key at the blue HP screen as the
> computer starts.
> HP Vectra and Kayak       Press the F2 key at the blue HP screen as the
> computer starts.
> IBM ThinkPad              Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any
> time.
> IBM Aptiva                Press the F1 key at the blue IBM screen as the
> computer starts.
>
> You have a Pavilion p6140f with an Asus IPIBL-LB (HP name = benicia-GL8E)
> motherboard.
>
> So my guess would be, " Press F1 ".
>
> *******
> Hmmm.
>
> ACPI X64 based PC. You probably want to change to "ACPI Multiprocessor
> x64-based pc" ?
> What is interesting, is I find so few hits for that HAL, on the Microsoft
> site.
>
> You seem to be ACPI compliant, as otherwise you couldn't run the HAL you
> have currently.
> I would check the BIOS settings (like, for the MPS thing), and also take a
> look through
> this article, for anything you may have added to that computer along the
> way. Then, try the
> "driver update" option for what currently shows as "ACPI X64 based PC".
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903
>
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/9/2010 2:47:23 AM
Ritter197 wrote:
> I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)
>
> Under POWER I have only 2 options:
>    After power failure      Automatic
>    XD(Execute Disable)       Enable
> Nothing for Suspend modes.
> Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI

Have you gone to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the
ACPI x64 thing, and tried to do a Driver Update ? What did
it report as install options ? Is one of the options
for "Multiprocessor" ?

For example, on my machine, when I drill down:

   "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."

    ACPI Multiprocessor PC                                 <--- My current HAL choice
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (APCI) PC   <--- Equiv. to your HAL
    MPS Multiprocessor PC                                  <--- from an earlier era...
    Standard PC                                            <--- Don't use this...

You want to see an option like the Multiprocessor one, in
your list. And note any error messages, if it doesn't work.

HTH,
    Paul
0
Paul
4/9/2010 3:41:54 AM
Here is what I find:

Device Manager:
    Computer
        ACPIx64 based PC

I cannot drill down further meaningfully. It says device is working
properly. It also says (when trying to update drivers) that this device does
not need drivers.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)
>>
>> Under POWER I have only 2 options:
>>    After power failure      Automatic
>>    XD(Execute Disable)       Enable
>> Nothing for Suspend modes.
>> Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI
>>

> Have you gone to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the
> ACPI x64 thing, and tried to do a Driver Update ? What did
> it report as install options ? Is one of the options
> for "Multiprocessor" ?
>
> For example, on my machine, when I drill down:
>
>   "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
>
>    ACPI Multiprocessor PC                                 <--- My current
> HAL choice
>    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (APCI) PC   <--- Equiv. to
> your HAL
>    MPS Multiprocessor PC                                  <--- from an
> earlier era...
>    Standard PC                                            <--- Don't use
> this...
>
> You want to see an option like the Multiprocessor one, in
> your list. And note any error messages, if it doesn't work.
>
> HTH,
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/9/2010 1:43:08 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> Here is what I find:
>
> Device Manager:
>    Computer
>        ACPIx64 based PC
>
> I cannot drill down further meaningfully. It says device is working
> properly. It also says (when trying to update drivers) that this device
> does not need drivers.

I've been working on your problem (a bit).

I installed Version 7100 of Windows 7 in Virtual PC. I got to Device
Manager and looked at the Computer Entry. Now, my version of Windows 7
is only the 32 bit edition, but at least I could see the HAL was only
ACPI on mine as well. I attempted to do the "Driver Update" and
basically wasn't offered any options at all. But this could be
considered normal, because my copy of VPC2007 only seems to expose one
core of my dual core processor. So Windows 7 isn't even detecting two
cores, due to the software limitations of my virtual environment.

Along the way, one other option came to mind. Apparently, the boot manager
has an option which declares the number of cores. So, if a user wanted
to artificially limit the number of cores on their PC (say, for software
testing), there is apparently a boot option that controls that.

In Windows 7, I tried to run bcdedit (assuming that is the tool to use),
and I suspect it runs in a command window. The command window flashed, and
disappeared (just like it would in WinXP). I opened a command window, and
typed "bcdedit" in there, and it told me I needed to be the administrator.
Well, I can't be bothered figuring out how to fix that :-)

So I downloaded EasyBCD from Neosmart (version 1.7.2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD

After installation, I used the "Advanced Options". Just above the
"Apply Settings" button, is a "Limit Windows to X CPUs". You might
try setting that to 4, if it isn't there already. Mine says "0"
right now, which presumably means "use as many as you can find".
If your value was set to "1", then that would explain why your
system is running on 1 core. I think it is possible WinXP might
have had a similar option, like MaxCPUs.

Since this is a WinXP group, you might want to find a Windows 7 group
for more help. I tried to find more information on Windows 7 HAL options
and how to force them, and I didn't manage to find anything to help
you. The Microsoft KB was strangely unhelpful.

    Paul

>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> I can now report after hitting F10 (BIOS)
>>>
>>> Under POWER I have only 2 options:
>>>    After power failure      Automatic
>>>    XD(Execute Disable)       Enable
>>> Nothing for Suspend modes.
>>> Nothing there for ACPI 2.0 support or anything re ACPI
>>>

>> Have you gone to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the
>> ACPI x64 thing, and tried to do a Driver Update ? What did
>> it report as install options ? Is one of the options
>> for "Multiprocessor" ?
>>
>> For example, on my machine, when I drill down:
>>
>>   "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
>>
>>    ACPI Multiprocessor PC                                 <--- My
>> current HAL choice
>>    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (APCI) PC   <--- Equiv.
>> to your HAL
>>    MPS Multiprocessor PC                                  <--- from an
>> earlier era...
>>    Standard PC                                            <--- Don't
>> use this...
>>
>> You want to see an option like the Multiprocessor one, in
>> your list. And note any error messages, if it doesn't work.
>>
>> HTH,
>>    Paul

0
Paul
4/9/2010 11:19:25 PM
Well, what an experience. I do thank Paul for his continued support!
I downloaded EasyBCD and installed it. When I used it then it showed 1 Core
open. I changed it to 4 and then closed it down.
That's when trouble (but also success!) started.
The computer would not boot up any longer. No F key would get me anywhere.
Just a black screen (not even blue!).

I finally re-installed Windows 7 and after some additional downloads for
latest updates it worked again.

Now the good part! Running PassMark Performance Test 7.0 it now shows 4
cores (open?) and the results are dramatically improved. From an overall
score of 655 to 1104!
All individual areas show improvements, but the biggest by FAR in the CPU
area. So, without Paul's good advice I would have never got where I am
now.!!!!

Thanks a lot again

Karl

> [...]
>>>>

>>> Have you gone to the Device Manager, and right clicked on the
>>> ACPI x64 thing, and tried to do a Driver Update ? What did
>>> it report as install options ? Is one of the options
>>> for "Multiprocessor" ?
>>>
>>> For example, on my machine, when I drill down:
>>>
>>>   "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
>>>
>>>    ACPI Multiprocessor PC                                 <--- My
>>> current HAL choice
>>>    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (APCI) PC   <--- Equiv. to
>>> your HAL
>>>    MPS Multiprocessor PC                                  <--- from an
>>> earlier era...
>>>    Standard PC                                            <--- Don't use
>>> this...
>>>
>>> You want to see an option like the Multiprocessor one, in
>>> your list. And note any error messages, if it doesn't work.

0
Ritter197
4/10/2010 11:59:01 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> Well, what an experience. I do thank Paul for his continued support!
> I downloaded EasyBCD and installed it. When I used it then it showed 1
> Core open. I changed it to 4 and then closed it down.
> That's when trouble (but also success!) started.
> The computer would not boot up any longer. No F key would get me
> anywhere. Just a black screen (not even blue!).
>
> I finally re-installed Windows 7 and after some additional downloads for
> latest updates it worked again.
>
> Now the good part! Running PassMark Performance Test 7.0 it now shows 4
> cores (open?) and the results are dramatically improved. From an overall
> score of 655 to 1104!
> All individual areas show improvements, but the biggest by FAR in the
> CPU area. So, without Paul's good advice I would have never got where I
> am now.!!!!
>
> Thanks a lot again
>
> Karl

Weird. I would never have expected a change like that, to cause the
box to "fall over".

It raises the question though, of how did the box get in that state in
the first place. Does a Windows 7 computer have the ability to change
the HAL, based on "how it is feeling" ? The computer, as shipped by HP,
must have had all four cores enabled. The HAL and the BCD boot options
should have been set up for that. It would be interesting to find
out, how the OS would end up running on just one core. I mean, it
could happen to you again, if there is a behavior of Windows 7 that
does that kind of thing.

Doing a little bit of research, I see that Microsoft has changed from
the simple to understand "boot.ini" file, to the BCD. And the BCD, is
like a registry hive. Which changes what used to be a simple task,
into something a lot more complicated. Yeah, that sounds like progress
to me...

    Paul
0
Paul
4/11/2010 4:15:01 AM
Paul, you are so right , unfortunately!
I will try to find out what changes, but last night I got the score of 1122
(highest ever) and I saw in Task Manager 4 windows next to the CPU.
I went to bed, got up this am and just for the heck of it ran all tests
again.
What do you think????
Back to the low 700. Ran it twice. More or less same result. AND in Task
Manager it shows 1 (one) CPU.

There are some people who do not care as long as their computer works, but
that is definitely not the case here. I like to tweak, until I have the
highest performance and then leave it (but test it again to make sure all is
at peak performance)

I used to have 3 BMW's and I did the same things to them. ALWAYS got them
running better than any mechanic at the BMW place would do it.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> Well, what an experience. I do thank Paul for his continued support!
>> I downloaded EasyBCD and installed it. When I used it then it showed 1
>> Core open. I changed it to 4 and then closed it down.
>> That's when trouble (but also success!) started.
>> The computer would not boot up any longer. No F key would get me
>> anywhere. Just a black screen (not even blue!).
>>
>> I finally re-installed Windows 7 and after some additional downloads for
>> latest updates it worked again.
>>
>> Now the good part! Running PassMark Performance Test 7.0 it now shows 4
>> cores (open?) and the results are dramatically improved. From an overall
>> score of 655 to 1104!
>> All individual areas show improvements, but the biggest by FAR in the CPU
>> area. So, without Paul's good advice I would have never got where I am
>> now.!!!!
>>
>> Thanks a lot again
>>
>> Karl
>
> Weird. I would never have expected a change like that, to cause the
> box to "fall over".
>
> It raises the question though, of how did the box get in that state in
> the first place. Does a Windows 7 computer have the ability to change
> the HAL, based on "how it is feeling" ? The computer, as shipped by HP,
> must have had all four cores enabled. The HAL and the BCD boot options
> should have been set up for that. It would be interesting to find
> out, how the OS would end up running on just one core. I mean, it
> could happen to you again, if there is a behavior of Windows 7 that
> does that kind of thing.
>
> Doing a little bit of research, I see that Microsoft has changed from
> the simple to understand "boot.ini" file, to the BCD. And the BCD, is
> like a registry hive. Which changes what used to be a simple task,
> into something a lot more complicated. Yeah, that sounds like progress
> to me...
>
>    Paul

0
Ritter197
4/11/2010 10:47:40 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> Paul, you are so right , unfortunately!
> I will try to find out what changes, but last night I got the score of
> 1122 (highest ever) and I saw in Task Manager 4 windows next to the CPU.
> I went to bed, got up this am and just for the heck of it ran all tests
> again.
> What do you think????
> Back to the low 700. Ran it twice. More or less same result. AND in Task
> Manager it shows 1 (one) CPU.
>
> There are some people who do not care as long as their computer works,
> but that is definitely not the case here. I like to tweak, until I have
> the highest performance and then leave it (but test it again to make
> sure all is at peak performance)
>
> I used to have 3 BMW's and I did the same things to them. ALWAYS got
> them running better than any mechanic at the BMW place would do it.

Does the Windows 7 machine have an Event Viewer ? Perhaps you could
look in there, for some error.

(Again, I don't understand the Windows 7 design intent. I managed to
find the Event Viewer, but it wasn't exactly easy. It is found via
Control Panels, but I had to use the "search" box at the top of the
dialog to find it.)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to find anything relevant
to help with this. Keywords would be "HAL, Multiprocessor, MAXCPUs, Windows 7"
but I was finding very little the other day. If I find some
"bread crumbs" I'll report back :-)

    Paul
0
Paul
4/11/2010 11:43:00 PM
Ritter197 wrote:
> Paul, you are so right , unfortunately!
> I will try to find out what changes, but last night I got the score of
> 1122 (highest ever) and I saw in Task Manager 4 windows next to the CPU.
> I went to bed, got up this am and just for the heck of it ran all tests
> again.
> What do you think????
> Back to the low 700. Ran it twice. More or less same result. AND in Task
> Manager it shows 1 (one) CPU.
>
> There are some people who do not care as long as their computer works,
> but that is definitely not the case here. I like to tweak, until I have
> the highest performance and then leave it (but test it again to make
> sure all is at peak performance)
>
> I used to have 3 BMW's and I did the same things to them. ALWAYS got
> them running better than any mechanic at the BMW place would do it.

Oh, and by the way, I discovered you can use "msconfig" on Windows 7, to
change the MAXCPU setting to 4 cores. But I expect the result would
have been no different than your previous experience with EasyBCD.
(Another black screen etc.) Windows 7 has some kind of Repair option
as well, which might have worked and been faster than a reinstall.

    Paul
0
Paul

unable to uninstall Intel Pro Wireless
Hi, I was trying to do a little clean up of my Gatewat tablet m275 Windows XP Tablet edition the other day. All of a sudden the Intel PROSet wireless conigurator stopped working. I tried to allow windows to detect my wireless entwork but that failed. I Was going to reinstall teh Intel PROSet wireless but I get an error that teh installation file couldn't be found or it was on a network. This means I can not only not uninstall the program but I can't reinstall it because it is a newer program then the one I found. How can I go about uninstalling an unremovable program? T...

Run a macro
Hey there i was going through my ICT project and wanted to select a month from a drop down box a macro would run. As at the minute i have a list of the month is buttons and macros runnning as the buttons are clicked but i would prefer to having it running as i clicked it from a drop down box. I have linked the cell I2 so that the number is displayed as i select it from the dropdown box. So i would like to run a macro when the number is displayed in theory. I think i would need to run an =IF command but i dont know what it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Fanle You ...

Run a macro based on the value of a cell
Hi Everyone I have what seems to be a simple task but can't seem to figure it out. I have a excel file that has the tabs "Current User List" & "Prev User List" On these sheets the first row is called "status" which is either "curr" or "prev" to indicate employee status. I copied and modified the macro posted on this site for copying an entire row to another worsheet and it works fine but I'd like to go one step further. If I change the status of an employee on the "Current User List" to "Prev" I want ...

HP Pavillion a1632x
I had a HP Pavillion a1632x running WinXP64 media ed which was hit by a virus. I could not recover via the recovery mode. I made the mistake of installing Vsta (updating was unavailable). Is there a way to access the old registy using the remote registy call call it WinXP1.reg ? If I were to install XP from scratch, export my registry into a file WinXP2.reg, import WinXP1.reg, and then overwrite the latest from WinXP2.reg, would I get a useable system If Vista was a clean install, and you say "updating was unavailable" then everything on C was lost. And anyway i...

running out of disk space
I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in %temp% folder lately like 10 GB in two days. I deleted them a couple of days ago and got disk fill message today, seeing a large number of temp_....zip again in %temp% what is causing this? windows search? i've seen something like this before; could be spyware "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in news:uig186UqKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl: > I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in > %temp% folder lately > like 10 GB in two...

Computer not recognizing HP 3970 Scanjet
Hello. I am running Windows XP Prof SP3 with IE8 and an HP 3970 Scanjet The lamp works fine and stays on all of the time.. When I reboot my computer (after installing a program update), sometimes it does not recognize my HP S970 Scanjet and a message pops up stating' Found New Hardware' and it asks me to install the CD (even though the software is already installed and liated under Add/Remove programs) but when I 'install' using the CD, it cannot find the driver. When I reboot, the scanner, the lamp comes on and make noise to show that it is connected....

Can't Run 2004 off LAN
I can't run 2004 when I disconnect from my LAN at work where I installed it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall without the connection and deleting all associated files that I could find and it still won't start. So I reinstalled it again connected to the LAN and it works fine. Am I forced to only use this program connected to the LAN? In microsoft.public.money, Reed wrote: >I can't run 2004 when I disconnect from my LAN at work >where I installed it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall >without the connection and deleting all associated files >that I coul...

Single check with HP printer
I can't get Money 2003 set up to print single checks properly. I have changed all the parameters on the check printing dialog box but the checks still print on the wrong side. (Paper must be aligned on right side of printer by Money prints check on left side.) I changed all those selections (right side, left side, edge feed) on on the dialog box at print time but I still can't get it right. I am running Windows ME. Thanks for any help. Janet Take a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;117505 The easiest solution may be to get a for...

Any problems installing and running BOTH Office 2004 and Office 2008 on the same Mac?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Any problems installing and running BOTH Office 2004 and Office 2008 on the same Mac? Is this supported by MS? thx On 7/7/09 7:11 PM, in article 59b77b77.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Zama@officeformac.com" <Zama@officeformac.com> wrote: > Any problems installing and running BOTH Office 2004 and Office 2008 on the > same Mac? Is this supported by MS? thx Yes, it's OK to have both installed. I don't recommend using both versions of Entourage because of the sync issues, but it is possible....

Running Macros w/vba
How can one run a macro in an excel file using automation...? Hi not sure for what you're asking but a macro introduction can be found at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany alien2_51" <dan.billow"at wrote: > How can one run a macro in an excel file using automation...? I'm populating data inside an Excel spreadsheet from within a DTS package once the data is there I need run a Macro whcih outputs the data contained in each worksheet to an XML file which I then need to validate against an XSD... I never ha...

Office 2010 HP printer problem
Office 2010 Professional Plus 2010 (the released 32-bit version, two activated copies on two computers) does not print multiple copies of any office document with my HP Laserjet P2055dn printers (using the latest Dec. 15, 2009 PCL 6 and PCL 5 UPD drivers available on the HP Web site). No matter how many copies are entered, only 1 copy of a document prints. Both of our computers are running Windows 7 x64. The printers worked fine with the Beta version of Office 2010, and work properly withh our non-Office programs. Our Xerox and Canon printers work properly. Does anyone have a ...

Run time error 70 permission denied
Hi, I have a macro that is set to copy a file from one location to the other. While executing the macro it gives an error :"Run time error 70 permission denied" I have checked the permissions and i have all the permissions for the file as well as its parent dir. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ...

Cannot restart my HP computer with HP original Recovery Disks
I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA, Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart". I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer. Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The screen stays dark. The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is fine, I can hear...

Can't get Money to run after spyware infiltration
I had a problem with spyware getting onto my machine and causing havoc. I managed to clean it up with Spybot and a few other tools, but now when I go to run MS Money 2004 I get an error message saying the Money is not installed correctly. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Money but it did not help. The uninstall process worked and the reinstall process worked (no error messages) but I still get a "Money is not installed correctly" pop up when I try to run it. Does anyone have any insight about how to fix this? Thanks! S, Which platform are you running M04 on and whic...

macro not running in XP
My macro is working in NT but not working in XP.compilation error saying dll not found is coming.actually the applciation contains 3 buttons. 2 buttons out of which are used to open the common dialog box (for selecting the files destination.)and another button behind which the entire macro is placed. now the problem is in XP we are unable to even click the button (to select the path ,error message saying compilation error dll not found is arising) In tools references i have checked the vba project and few others but could'nt solve the problem.. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Nam...

Anyway To Have Outlook Reminders Play even when outlook's not running?
Is there any way to have outlook play alarm for reminders when outlook isn't running and you're say browsing the net? I have google desktop which I've heard can display reminders from google calendar, any way it can be utilized with outlook? "Nibi" <neebster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193623934.406653.309020@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way to have outlook play alarm for reminders when outlook > isn't running and you're say browsing the net? I have google desktop > which I've heard can display reminders from google ca...

running Outlook 2002 SP1 on WinXP with multiple users-trouble logging off
I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2002 SP1. I have 4 users on this machine and if any of the users tries to log off of the computer they get an error message that says Outlook is still running. I have to hit the "end now" button anywhere from 2 to 5 times before outlook stops and the person is able to log off. It takes about 10 seconds between each time I have to hit the "end now" button. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? I have tried uninstalling outlook and reinstalling and this doesn't help Thanks, Ron ...

Running Autosum with Filters
I have filtered a list of data and want to find the total of one of my filtered columns. At present it's not allowing me to do this. Does anyone know a way around it? Many thanks. Hi You have a few options. One is to use SUBTOTAL() to sum your values. This function has various options, so check out Help. Another way, to just see the total, is to click on the column header and use the Sum option in the status bar. If set to this option, it will show the total. -- Andy. "Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF8402FD-E307-448B-A912-CFE3114B6733@...

get the running path
Hi, i know there was an possibility to get the application exe path from the main args. But I do not remember how to extract the information. Could somebody give me the example? Thanks, Holger hi holger, try this TCHAR szPath[MAX_PATH]; GetModuleFileName(GetModuleHandle(GetExeName()), szPath, MAX_PATH); -- kind regards, muechel while(!sleep()) ++sheep; hi, Try GetModuleFileName() AfxGetInstanceHandle() Dont remember which one will give the path. hth gangadhar Holger Krei´┐Żl wrote: > Hi, > > i know there was an possibility to get the application exe path from t...

Applications Responding Slowly on iMac with Intel
I just purchased the new iMac with the Intel processor. (I am also a new Mac user.) When I am using Microsoft Office, everything is responding slowly. For example, it can take 30-45 seconds to launch Excel. Also, when I'm executing certain actions within the applications, I sometimes get the "beachball" icon and everything is moving slowly overall. Applecare has no anwers for me, and I've taken the computer into the store for a diagnostic and everything came out clean with respect to my hardware. Has anyone else had this problem? You didn't specify, but I'm as...

Run Rules on existing inbox
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3346077206_814772 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit I have finally gotten around to clearing my inbox and creating rules to keep it that way the question is, once I have created some rules, (which I have) can I get them to run over the current inbox and sort? As apposed to manually sorting the curent inbox and waiting for new mail to be sorted b my new rules. Thanks --B_3346077206_...

Error Running a Macro
Dear members,I am quite fresh using macros.Therefore,I would like you to be patient: A. Situation: I recorded a macro that must open a dataform where I can see information about a small database in Excel, but when I run it, it tells me that there is a mistake, then I debugged the macro and found out this in the code Sub LoadDataForm() ' ' LoadDataForm Makro ' Makro am 7/28/2005 von Vidal A. Castillo aufgezeichnet ' Range("A4").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Range("A4:V1366").Select ActiveSheet.ShowDataForm End Sub ...

Balance column in statements NEEDS to be a running balance!
We are using RMS Store Operations and have been haunted by the statement that comes standard with the software. Customers that really read their statements are completely dissatisfied with the way the balance column computes. Some customers have gone as far as refusing to pay off of them with out us re-printing their invoices and penciling in the correct amounts to prove the final balance... NO GOOD! The statement that I am referring to only occurs when we are using a revolving account type and the Radio Button for "Due after invoice date plus" is checked, we set ours for ...

HP Desktop for sale!
Hi, I have an unused HP Pavilion with the fallowing specs: # Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHz, 2000MT/s System Bus) # Memory: 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1GB) (expandable to 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)/ 4 GB (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)) # Hard Drive:320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) hard drive # Optical Drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive # Expandable Drive Bay: HP Pocket Media Drive bay # Video Graphics: Integrated graphics # Network Interface: Integrated 10/100BaseT network interface # Sound: High Definition 8-channel audio # Fax/Modem: 56K bps dat...

Error running rules
I am trying to create a rule which will forward emails going to a certain account that no longer exists on our server to a new email account on a seperate server. I also wanted an automatic message sent to the sender telling them to update their address book. When I try to run my rule I get an error telling me that "this action is not available in the current mode". I have tried changing the setting under the Exchange System Manager to allow all the check boxes i.e. automatic replies and forwarding. I then restarted my personal computer and still get this message. Any idea...