How to force a delayed write to an eSATA drive?

Hi,

I just installed an eSATA as a backup drive. I use Windows Standby a lot,
works really well for a long time before needing to do a restart.

I'd like to shut off the eSATA so it's not running all the time and wasting
electricity. But if I put my machine on Standby and turn off the eSATA then I
get an error when I power on the eSATA. It's a cryptic error but has the
string MFT$ in it so it appears to be a Master File Table corruption, and the
drive becomes inaccessible.

The actual message says a delayed write to the drive failed and says
something about an MFT error.

To correct that, I need to do a cold shutdown of my computer and restart it.
I power down and restart the eSATA drive as well. Seems to fix itself
(almost). I'll get an error that the Recycle Bin is corrupted on the drive
and Windows deletes and rebuilds it.

Is there a way I can force Windows to do the delayed write before putting
the system on Standby so I don't have to keep the drive on all the time?
Ideally automatically, of course.

Is there a safe way to power off the drive before I put Windows on Standby?

It's inconvenient to do a cold shutdown all the time but I don't want to
keep the eSATA powered on all the time either if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Robert
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

"GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.
>
> "GettingByOk" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed an eSATA as a backup drive. I use Windows Standby a lot,
>> works really well for a long time before needing to do a restart.
>>
>> I'd like to shut off the eSATA so it's not running all the time and
>> wasting
>> electricity. But if I put my machine on Standby and turn off the eSATA
>> then I
>> get an error when I power on the eSATA. It's a cryptic error but has the
>> string MFT$ in it so it appears to be a Master File Table corruption, and
>> the
>> drive becomes inaccessible.
>>
>> The actual message says a delayed write to the drive failed and says
>> something about an MFT error.
>>
>> To correct that, I need to do a cold shutdown of my computer and restart
>> it.
>> I power down and restart the eSATA drive as well. Seems to fix itself
>> (almost). I'll get an error that the Recycle Bin is corrupted on the
>> drive
>> and Windows deletes and rebuilds it.
>>
>> Is there a way I can force Windows to do the delayed write before putting
>> the system on Standby so I don't have to keep the drive on all the time?
>> Ideally automatically, of course.
>>
>> Is there a safe way to power off the drive before I put Windows on
>> Standby?
>>
>> It's inconvenient to do a cold shutdown all the time but I don't want to
>> keep the eSATA powered on all the time either if I can avoid it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert

By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may be
noticeable and maybe not.

Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the +
by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.

What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to the
drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
drive even though it is busy.

Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.

0
LVTravel
4/8/2010 6:47:01 PM
Thank you.

Quick question, is this a session-level or system-level change? meaning, can
I do this right before I shut down to flush the write buffer? Then enable it
again.....

.....or do I have to reboot for the change to take effect?

Ideally if I could do this at-will (i.e., flush the write buffer, put
computer in Standby, wake up computer up, then Optimize for Performance
again) then I could have the write buffer available while I'm working and
turn it off when I want to do Standby....

Robert

> Thank you.
>
> Quick question, is this a session-level or system-level change? meaning,
> can
> I do this right before I shut down to flush the write buffer? Then enable
> it
> again.....
>
> ....or do I have to reboot for the change to take effect?
>
> Ideally if I could do this at-will (i.e., flush the write buffer, put
> computer in Standby, wake up computer up, then Optimize for Performance
> again) then I could have the write buffer available while I'm working and
> turn it off when I want to do Standby....
>
> Robert
>
> "LVTravel" wrote:
>

>> "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

>> By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may
>> be
>> noticeable and maybe not.
>>
>> Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the
>> +
>> by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
>> it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
>> Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
>> available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.
>>
>> What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and
>> forces
>> the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to
>> the
>> drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
>> the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes
>> full.
>> With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to
>> the
>> drive even though it is busy.
>>
>> Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
>>
>> .

I'm actually not sure if the change takes effect immediately or on the net
boot but I think that it takes place once you OK out of the change area.
You can test it to find the definitive answer however, it would be a real
pain in the a$$ to do that each time.

Have you tested the fix I mentioned to see if it does solve your problem.
If it doesn't it would be a moot point anyway.

0
LVTravel
4/9/2010 2:37:07 AM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897438.aspx
Sync v2.0

John

GettingByOk wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> Quick question, is this a session-level or system-level change? meaning, can
> I do this right before I shut down to flush the write buffer? Then enable it
> again.....
>
> ....or do I have to reboot for the change to take effect?
>
> Ideally if I could do this at-will (i.e., flush the write buffer, put
> computer in Standby, wake up computer up, then Optimize for Performance
> again) then I could have the write buffer available while I'm working and
> turn it off when I want to do Standby....
>
> Robert
>
> "LVTravel" wrote:
>

>> "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

>> By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may be
>> noticeable and maybe not.
>>
>> Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the +
>> by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
>> it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
>> Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
>> available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.
>>
>> What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
>> the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to the
>> drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
>> the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
>> With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
>> drive even though it is busy.
>>
>> Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
>>
>> .

0
John
4/9/2010 11:21:15 AM
LVTravel, John John,

Thanks. I'll try these.

Robert

"GettingByOk" wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Quick question, is this a session-level or system-level change? meaning, can
> I do this right before I shut down to flush the write buffer? Then enable it
> again.....
>
> ....or do I have to reboot for the change to take effect?
>
> Ideally if I could do this at-will (i.e., flush the write buffer, put
> computer in Standby, wake up computer up, then Optimize for Performance
> again) then I could have the write buffer available while I'm working and
> turn it off when I want to do Standby....
>
> Robert
>
> "LVTravel" wrote:
>

> > "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

> > By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may be
> > noticeable and maybe not.
> >
> > Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the +
> > by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
> > it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
> > Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
> > available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.
> >
> > What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
> > the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to the
> > drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
> > the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
> > With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
> > drive even though it is busy.
> >
> > Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
> >
> > .

Ran into a problem preventing me from trying either of your suggestions.....

Now my computer will not boot if the eSATA drive is turned on. It hangs
right before it finishes loading the BIOS. About 95% of the way before the
white progress bar finishes. Can't even hit F2 to configure or F12 to change
boot order. So I have to turn the eSATA drive off then cycle the computer.

Then of course it says it can't detect the SATA-4 device and I hit F1 to
continue.

Any ideas?

"GettingByOk" wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Quick question, is this a session-level or system-level change? meaning, can
> I do this right before I shut down to flush the write buffer? Then enable it
> again.....
>
> ....or do I have to reboot for the change to take effect?
>
> Ideally if I could do this at-will (i.e., flush the write buffer, put
> computer in Standby, wake up computer up, then Optimize for Performance
> again) then I could have the write buffer available while I'm working and
> turn it off when I want to do Standby....
>
> Robert
>
> "LVTravel" wrote:
>

> > "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.

> > By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may be
> > noticeable and maybe not.
> >
> > Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the +
> > by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
> > it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
> > Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
> > available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.
> >
> > What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
> > the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to the
> > drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
> > the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
> > With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
> > drive even though it is busy.
> >
> > Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
> >
> > .

Hi,

My drive became completely inaccessible for a long time after your
suggestion so I couldn't try it.

I just tried it and there is no Optimize for Performance (I'm running XP
SP2) but there is a check box saying Enable Write Caching -- but it's already
unchecked. The drive seems to work now, I moved it from SATA 4 to SATA 5.
Guess I'll have to keep playing around with it......

Thanks again, and any other suggestions welcome (until this Newsgroup closes
:(   )
Robert

"LVTravel" wrote:

> "GettingByOk" <GettingByOk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Also, I'm on 32-bit Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > "GettingByOk" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just installed an eSATA as a backup drive. I use Windows Standby a lot,
> >> works really well for a long time before needing to do a restart.
> >>
> >> I'd like to shut off the eSATA so it's not running all the time and
> >> wasting
> >> electricity. But if I put my machine on Standby and turn off the eSATA
> >> then I
> >> get an error when I power on the eSATA. It's a cryptic error but has the
> >> string MFT$ in it so it appears to be a Master File Table corruption, and
> >> the
> >> drive becomes inaccessible.
> >>
> >> The actual message says a delayed write to the drive failed and says
> >> something about an MFT error.
> >>
> >> To correct that, I need to do a cold shutdown of my computer and restart
> >> it.
> >> I power down and restart the eSATA drive as well. Seems to fix itself
> >> (almost). I'll get an error that the Recycle Bin is corrupted on the
> >> drive
> >> and Windows deletes and rebuilds it.
> >>
> >> Is there a way I can force Windows to do the delayed write before putting
> >> the system on Standby so I don't have to keep the drive on all the time?
> >> Ideally automatically, of course.
> >>
> >> Is there a safe way to power off the drive before I put Windows on
> >> Standby?
> >>
> >> It's inconvenient to do a cold shutdown all the time but I don't want to
> >> keep the eSATA powered on all the time either if I can avoid it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Robert
>
> By turning off the feature you will probably slow the computer.  It may be
> noticeable and maybe not.
>
> Try this: Right click My Computer.  Left click Device Manager.  Click the +
> by Disk drives to open that listing.  Find your drive and right click on
> it's name.  Left click on Properties.  Click Policies tab.  Turn off the
> Optimize for performance and click on Optimize for quick removal (if
> available.)  OK out and you should not have the issue again.
>
> What this does is turn off the write cache (buffer) for the drive and forces
> the computer to write immediately to a drive.  The write cache writes to the
> drive normally (when the Optimize for Performance is turned on) only when
> the processor and data path to the drive is idle or the cache becomes full.
> With it turned off it will cause the processor to immediately write to the
> drive even though it is busy.
>
> Let us know if this helps or if issues remain.
>
> .

best practice for home drive permissions
Hi, Re NTFS permissions not share permissions what is the best practice for the root of a home drive share \\server\users$ Im migrating to a new file server and finding the old permissions inconsistent and in a proper mess. My understanding that a user should create his home drive when he first logs in when using the \\server\share\%username% attribute in the AD object , what permissions are needed to enable this on the root? Currently the service desk create new accounts and when they do it appears to get created as soon as they create the object, which is not a problem ...

sending delay?
When pushing the send button in outlook 2000 it takes up to 3 minutes for the hourglass to disappear. We use Exchange 2000. This problem only occurs in the office where the server stands. From other office's which are connected using routers this problem never occurs. What can be the problem I had the same problem and realized it was a corrupted profile. Check that out! "Andr´┐Ż" <andre@paagman.org> wrote in message news:%23CGpdRrRDHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > When pushing the send button in outlook 2000 it takes up to 3 minutes for > the hourglass to disapp...

Tying to write OPOS SO for Line Display
Hi, I am a newbie in OPOS. I am trying to write an OPOS SO to an app which uses OPOS 1.6 and it uses an OPOS CO. The "line display" is in fact a TFT display, and SO talks with it through a socket. Socket interface functions OK, the CO - SO is a pain. We can not use POS for .NET due to app. Can you direct me to a sample code of an SO ? At the moment When trying to use it through the MonroeCS CO control (OPOSLineDisplay.ocx, version OposCCOs-1_11_001), Open gives code 104 (=OPOS_E_NOSERVICE), and get_OpenResult() gives code 305 (=OPOS_OR_BADIF). What these return codes really mea...

publisher cannot write to a file on a network drive
Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk. Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems. The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the folder she is trying to save to. The user can write to the folder with other apps, i.e. word Dan Thannhauser wrote: > Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk. > > Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems. > > The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the > folder she is trying to save to. > > The user can write to the folder with...

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

Delayed Sending In Exchange
Does anyone know how to delay the sending of messages in Outlook 2002/XP using Exchange? The main thing is that the user wants to be able to send a message at a later time and not be logged into the PC when that time arises. Is it possible to delay sending without being logged into the PC? In the open email message go to options and choose "do not deliver before..." and pick the desired send time. -- *************** No Email Replies "b.ups.help" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d4501c3a487$b7c90290$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does any...

Seeking Client Write-Up Solution
I seem to recall that there is (or was) a client write-up ISV solution for GP for CPAs that work with clients that use GP, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know of such a solution? ------=_NextPart_0001_125E6E44 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Cindy, I did a search in partnersource industry solutions and didn't come up with anything but as with anything it's all in "what you search on" so perhaps the phrases you used weren't in the writup. But I guess I can't say that I've heard of anything like this before. Hopeful...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Writing formulae
Help! HI, I wonder if anyone can help me at all. I want a formulae to calculate the following but as I'm new to excel I'm not familiar with what operators to use, what I can use etc. Please could someone help me out? if G12<=2000 then G12+1 elseif G12 >2000 AND G12<=3000 then G12+5 elseif G12>3000 AND G12<=30000 then G12+10 elseif G12>30000 AND G12<=50000 then G12+50 elseif G12>50000 AND G12<=100000 then G12+100 elseif G12>100000 AND G12<=1000000 then G12+1000 elseif G12>1000000 AND G12<=20000000 then G12+10000 elseif G12>20000000 AND G12<...

Clean Drive D
I am running Compaq.Which is a Presario.Also Windows XP. Hard drive is 80 GB. I have a Drive C, and a Drive D. Drive C has plenty of free space. But Drive D free space is about used up. Drive D has a capacity of 4.95 GB. It is showing free space at 937 MB. Is there a way to clean Drive D ? Thank You Carl2435 wrote: > I am running Compaq.Which is a Presario.Also Windows XP. > Hard drive is 80 GB. I have a Drive C, and a Drive D. Drive C > has plenty of free space. But Drive D free space is about used > up. Drive D has a capacity of 4.95 GB. It is showing free space...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

SBS2003 mail delivery to AOL delayed
My users are getting NDR's when sending to AOL only. Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay) This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed. ******@aol.com A little about this server. Standard cable account with Dynamic IP. I have disabled Symantec AV 9 autoprotect. When I check the queue the error associated is... An SMTP protocol error occurred. I am not configured to use a smart host. This server was configured using the Intern...

Flash drive flashing like crazy when plugged in
Hello I have a question about my Attache flash drive and my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I boot up my computer and plug in my flash drive, the small red light on the memory stick flashes on and off for a few minutes and my cursor blinks quickly between the Vista spinning icon and the pointing arrow. Is my computer trying to synchronize the memory stick with my hard drive...or is it trying to do something else? I'm really not sure what is going on here. Sometimes I get the small AutoPlay menu and sometimes I don't. On rare occas...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

Unbound form writing back to table
I have a form with two text boxes. I want to take what the user enters into those text boxes and write that data back to a table. I know I bound those text boxes to the table but I want to keep them unbound and use some kind of VBA code to say AFTER UPDATE, write back to a table I specify. Provide buttons for Ok and Cancel on your form. In the Ok button's Click event procedure, exeute an append query statement to add the data to the desired table. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather...

force

Delayed Mail!!
All, My mail has suddenly started to be delayed in sending and receiving mail. We have a exchange 2000 box and it will sometimes be recieved in two minutes and sometimes it takes 10 minutes. I am sending the mail to my own internal mail from my internal mail. This normally is recieved striaght away!! Brian Any help from http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=gvdu00haq3n9nasmlrb6achdnlvg6isk4l%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3Dudp%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26as_ugroup%3Dmicrosoft.public.exchange.admin%26as_uauthors%3Drich%26as_drrb%3Dq%26a...

How to write htis code using IFileOperation in Vista
Hello, I have this piece of code which i am using in my application developed on VS2003. i have migrated the code to VS2005 and have cleaned the code, but now i have to port it to Vista. The code uses SHFILEOPSTRUCT and SHFileOperation which are nwo deprecated and a new interface IFileOperation has been introduced for Vista. I did a lot of head banging but still i could not figure out how to modify my code except the use of SetOperationFlag() function of IFileInterface. So please see if you could help. Here are the snippets //For Deleting a file SHFILEOPSTRUCT shfileop; ...

Two servers, same domain, delayed mail delivery from outside to 2nd server
Before I got here, someone decided they didn't want to spend the money for Exch5.5 enterprise, so now we have two standard Exch5.5 servers with one as the "front end" that accepts all external e-mails and houses about half our recipients and another server behind it that only handles the other half of our recipients. Both running Exch5.5 & WinNT. For some reason about 2 months ago, delivery from the IMS is severely delayed to the second server; sometimes a user will wait 20-40 minutes for e-mails and suddenly a ton show up in their mailbox. I don't have this problem wit...

Writing CDATA data to XML
Hi folks! I have a DataSet, which I'm writing into XML using the DataSet.WriteXML() method. Now, I want to write the cell's data/text as CDATA, when it is written into an XML. For example, I want the XML output as follows: <root> <myElement><![CDATA[abc]]></myElement> </root> but not... <root> <myElement>&lt;![CDATA[abc]]&gt;</myElement> </root> Is this possible? thanks! -Yasutaka That is what native "DataSet.WriteXML()" got you ? The MS coders must have had a day off. "Yasutaka Ito" <...

Moving Contact's & Email's from old drive to new one
I would like to know how to find my old email's and contacts on an old drive that went bad and copy them on to my new drive. Bob Lair <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to know how to find my old email's and > contacts on an old drive that went bad and copy them on > to my new drive. http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Writing formula to worksheet...
I am using VBA to create a new worksheet with summary totals in several columns that I then want to move over to an already established roll-up worksheet (on a new row). I've accomplished the first part (new worksheet) and have successfully added the new row on the roll-up worksheet. I am now trying to write the "Do Loop" that will write the formulas into the roll-up worksheet. Formulas are required so that when the underlying info changes on the new sheet the roll-up worksheet will automatically reflect the changes. I am using relative references in the code (...

Forcing an ActiveX control to serialize it's properties.
Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? Kurt "Kurt" <k_nojunk@larimore.net> wrote in message news:OqS15%23p3DHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? > > Kurt > > Kurt, Try getting a pointer to the IPersistStorage interface via QueryInterface. Then call the method IPersistStorage::Save which needs an IStorage* to specify where the properties will be saved to. ...

Forcing an account
Hi All Is there anyway to get Outlook 2002 and/or 2003 to force to use a certain mail account for certain contacts? For example for contact A, B and C I want to always send new messages, replies and forwards via mail account 1 and for contact D, E and F I want to do the same using mail account 2. I don't want this to deviate even if one of these contacts has sent an email to an alternate mail account. Even though I set my main account as the default, when certain emails come in on my other accounts I can't force my replies or forwards to go to a certain account. Are there any hidd...