How does hibernate work

I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be
truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume
from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on
disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space
maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is
stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug
it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag
to signal the system that it's in hibernation?

Thanks,
Tom
0
njem
1/21/2010 5:33:04 AM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

17 Replies
1015 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

"njem" <njem@q.com> wrote in message 
news:37227ed4-db07-4748-a3a5-f81df7097bcb@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...
>I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
> saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be
> truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume
> from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on
> disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space
> maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is
> stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug
> it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag
> to signal the system that it's in hibernation?
>

How the machine knows to resume from hibernate is BIOS dependant.  There are 
two schemes.

In both schemes the RAM contents are written to a file called hiberfil.sys.

In the first scheme, the BIOS checks for the presence of the hiberfil.sys 
file on the hard disc and if it finds it, loads it into RAM and then 
proceeds as though recovering from STANDBY.  Once recovered the file is 
deleted.

In the second scheme, the BIOS sets an internal flag that it has hibernated, 
and thus loads hiberfil.sys if the flag is set, otherwise it just boots 
normally even if the file is present.  Some BIOSes report an error if they 
can't find the hiberfil.sys file.  Once recovered the file is not 
necessarily deleted.

The first scheme has the feature that it will recover from hibernate if the 
system disc is replaced by another that was hibernated before it was removed 
even if the original was not. 


0
M
1/21/2010 10:56:57 AM
On Jan 21, 3:56=A0am, "M.I.5=BE" <no....@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote:
> In the first scheme, ...once recovered the file is
> deleted.

I've never seen the hiberfile deleted so I guess this must be less
common. Although win must maintain a hiberfile for some reason even
before it has hibernated. On a system that has not had hibernating
enabled, if you enable it in win, a hiberfile is immediately created.
Maybe if the bios deletes it on coming out of hibernation win just
immediately creates a new one?

>
> In the second scheme, the BIOS sets an internal flag that it has hibernat=
ed,

That, (or a flag on disk, which you didn't mention so I guess is not
done) is what I expected. But if it's in bios you would think it would
be either flashed in (non-volatile) or maintained by the clock battery
along with things like the time. So the fact that removing a laptop
battery can clear the hibernating flag is surprising.

Thanks,
Tom
0
njem
1/22/2010 2:56:09 AM

"M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4b5832bb$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net
> "njem" <njem@q.com> wrote in message
> news:37227ed4-db07-4748-a3a5-f81df7097bcb@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...
>> I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
>> saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to
>> be truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to
>> resume from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either
>> saved on disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in
>> space maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop
>> that is stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is
>> to unplug it and take the battery out for a while so where actually
>> is the flag to signal the system that it's in hibernation?
>>
>
> How the machine knows to resume from hibernate is BIOS dependant. There 
> are two schemes.
>
> In both schemes the RAM contents are written to a file called
> hiberfil.sys.
> In the first scheme, the BIOS checks for the presence of the
> hiberfil.sys file on the hard disc and if it finds it, loads it into
> RAM and then proceeds as though recovering from STANDBY.  Once
> recovered the file is deleted.
>
> In the second scheme, the BIOS sets an internal flag that it has
> hibernated, and thus loads hiberfil.sys if the flag is set, otherwise
> it just boots normally even if the file is present.  Some BIOSes
> report an error if they can't find the hiberfil.sys file.  Once
> recovered the file is not necessarily deleted.
>
> The first scheme has the feature that it will recover from hibernate
> if the system disc is replaced by another that was hibernated before
> it was removed even if the original was not.

I don't think that anything is written to BIOS on hibernation. It's just a 
flag that is set in the OS startup to bring the system back to where 
hiberfil.sys saved it. If Windows (or any other OS) had the ability to write 
to BIOS, imagine what a field day the malware authors of the world would 
have :-)
-- 
SC Tom

0
SC
1/22/2010 3:17:21 AM
njem wrote:
> I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
> saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be
> truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume
> from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on
> disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space
> maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is
> stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug
> it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag
> to signal the system that it's in hibernation?

Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel takes
control of the session.  Any changes that you make to the computer after 
it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer from resuming from 
hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as simple as 
plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer from 
sucessfully resuming from hibernation.  I suspect that removing your 
battery for an extended period resets certain settings in the BIOS and 
this prevents the computer from resuming from hibernation.  When the 
computer successfully resumes the hyberfil.sys file is marked as 
inactive, this prevents ntldr from loading a stale hiberfil.sys file.

John
0
John
1/22/2010 5:00:47 AM
On Jan 21, 8:17=A0pm, "SC Tom" <s...@tom.net> wrote:
> I don't think that anything is written to BIOS on hibernation. It's just =
a
> flag that is set in the OS startup to bring the system back to where
> hiberfil.sys saved it. If Windows (or any other OS) had the ability to wr=
ite
> to BIOS, imagine what a field day the malware authors of the world would
> have :-)

It may be something the OS does within its own files but it could
certainly be in bios space. The bios could have a service call to set
a hibernation flag without opening access. And bios flash utilities,
some of which run right in win, right to bios. And years ago I
remember there were hacker utilities to read bios (even though it was
supposed to be protected) let you modify it (if yours had become
corrupted) and rewrite it. Also if I'm not mistaken hinernation only
works with bios that support it. That would be one advantage to what
you're describing. Bios wouldn't matter.
0
njem
1/22/2010 3:46:17 PM
On Jan 21, 10:00=A0pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>
> Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
> found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel takes
> control of the session. =A0Any changes that you make to the computer afte=
r
> it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer from resuming from
> hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as simple as
> plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer from
> sucessfully resuming from hibernation. =A0I suspect that removing your
> battery for an extended period resets certain settings in the BIOS and
> this prevents the computer from resuming from hibernation. =A0When the
> computer successfully resumes the hyberfil.sys file is marked as
> inactive, this prevents ntldr from loading a stale hiberfil.sys file.
>
> John

I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it. And I
had one case that would conflict with the scheme you described. I had
a desktop that was stuck in a resume from hibernation loop. I thought
I would be clever and take the drive out, put it in another system,
delete the hiberfile, put it back and was sure it would be fine.
Instead it still tried to resume from hibernation but immediately
complained about an error in resuming. Also when I"ve taken a laptop
battery out then restart it doesn't try to resume, fail, and then boot
from scratch, it goes straight to normal boot. It's really not that
important but I wanted to better understand so when I have cases like
the stuck desktop I know what's going on and how to get out of it.

Thanks,
Tom
0
njem
1/22/2010 3:54:58 PM

"njem" <njem@q.com> wrote in message 
news:f3268a1e-e83a-4171-a140-29f954cb441a@f12g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 21, 10:00 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
>> found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel takes
>> control of the session.  Any changes that you make to the computer after
>> it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer from resuming from
>> hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as simple as
>> plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer from
>> sucessfully resuming from hibernation.  I suspect that removing your
>> battery for an extended period resets certain settings in the BIOS and
>> this prevents the computer from resuming from hibernation.  When the
>> computer successfully resumes the hyberfil.sys file is marked as
>> inactive, this prevents ntldr from loading a stale hiberfil.sys file.
>>
>> John
>
> I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
> strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it. And I
> had one case that would conflict with the scheme you described. I had
> a desktop that was stuck in a resume from hibernation loop. I thought
> I would be clever and take the drive out, put it in another system,
> delete the hiberfile, put it back and was sure it would be fine.
> Instead it still tried to resume from hibernation but immediately
> complained about an error in resuming. Also when I"ve taken a laptop
> battery out then restart it doesn't try to resume, fail, and then boot
> from scratch, it goes straight to normal boot. It's really not that
> important but I wanted to better understand so when I have cases like
> the stuck desktop I know what's going on and how to get out of it.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Yes, the BIOS has to support the function. I guess I was mixing up BIOS and 
CMOS. After further research, I think I found out what was confusing me (and 
believe me, I can be easily confused :-)  ). Since the bootstrap loader is 
handled by BIOS, I would bet that's where the information to access the 
hibernation file is loaded. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. It's 
all clear as mud to me now.
-- 
SC Tom
 

0
SC
1/22/2010 6:45:06 PM
SC Tom wrote:

> Since the bootstrap 
> loader is handled by BIOS, I would bet that's where the information to 
> access the hibernation file is loaded.

No, the information to load the hiberfil.sys file is contained in ntldr.

John
0
John
1/22/2010 8:54:18 PM

njem wrote:
> On Jan 21, 10:00 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
>> found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel takes
>> control of the session.  Any changes that you make to the computer after
>> it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer from resuming from
>> hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as simple as
>> plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer from
>> sucessfully resuming from hibernation.  I suspect that removing your
>> battery for an extended period resets certain settings in the BIOS and
>> this prevents the computer from resuming from hibernation.  When the
>> computer successfully resumes the hyberfil.sys file is marked as
>> inactive, this prevents ntldr from loading a stale hiberfil.sys file.
>>
>> John
> 
> I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
> strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it.

The computer has to be ACPI compliant so that the operating system can 
tell it to shut itself off.  The devices also need to be Plug and Play 
compliant, Plug and Play also requires that the computer be ACPI compliant.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-starts-up-part-the-second.aspx
Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)

http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
Boot Process

John
0
John
1/22/2010 8:59:14 PM
M.I.5� wrote:
> "njem" <njem@q.com> wrote in message 
> news:37227ed4-db07-4748-a3a5-f81df7097bcb@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...
>> I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
>> saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be
>> truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume
>> from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on
>> disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space
>> maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is
>> stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug
>> it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag
>> to signal the system that it's in hibernation?
>>
> 
> How the machine knows to resume from hibernate is BIOS dependant.  There are 
> two schemes.
> 
> In both schemes the RAM contents are written to a file called hiberfil.sys.

This much is true.

> In the first scheme, the BIOS checks for the presence of the hiberfil.sys 
> file on the hard disc and if it finds it, loads it into RAM and then 
> proceeds as though recovering from STANDBY.  Once recovered the file is 
> deleted.
> 
> In the second scheme, the BIOS sets an internal flag that it has hibernated, 
> and thus loads hiberfil.sys if the flag is set, otherwise it just boots 
> normally even if the file is present.  Some BIOSes report an error if they 
> can't find the hiberfil.sys file.  Once recovered the file is not 
> necessarily deleted.

Neither of these can be true. If a hibernate flag were set in the NVRAM 
of the BIOS, then if you had Linux installed on the same machine, it too 
would be hibernated. You can hibernate Linux and it won't affect 
Windows, and vice-versa. It's just a flag that's set in the filesystem 
of each operating system's boot drive.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
1/23/2010 1:11:39 AM
njem wrote:
> I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
> strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it. And I
> had one case that would conflict with the scheme you described. I had

The BIOS has to support hibernate to the extent that it needs to be an 
ACPI-compliant BIOS. ACPI contains internal processor information that 
is needed to get it to hibernate or go into standby.

But the BIOS' CMOS doesn't store any flags that tell it to go into 
hibernate.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
1/23/2010 1:15:18 AM
On Jan 22, 1:59=A0pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-star...
> Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)
>
> http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
> Boot Process
>

Well I read the references, but it leaves me wondering why that time I
deleted the hiberfile it still tried to resume. Oh well. At least on
laptops I know the battery trick works.

Thanks,
Tom
0
njem
1/23/2010 1:26:48 AM
"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:4b5a4ccb$1@news.bnb-lp.com...
> ... If a hibernate flag were set in the NVRAM of the BIOS, then if you had 
> Linux installed on the same machine, it too would be hibernated. You can 
> hibernate Linux and it won't affect Windows, and vice-versa. It's just a 
> flag that's set in the filesystem of each operating system's boot drive.

What would be the desired user experience?
Suppose you have OS A and OS B on same machine, and hibernated OS A.
Would you then prefer OS A to resume automatically, or have a choice to boot 
OS B?

The "new" boot datbase of NT6 has a Resume object parameter,
maybe exactly for this purpose - let to choose what happens on resume ?

Regards,
 -- pa
 

0
Pavel
1/23/2010 1:34:14 AM
njem wrote:
> On Jan 22, 1:59 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-star...
>> Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)
>>
>> http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
>> Boot Process
>>
> 
> Well I read the references, but it leaves me wondering why that time I
> deleted the hiberfile it still tried to resume. Oh well. At least on
> laptops I know the battery trick works.

Boot to the Recovery Console and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

What happens when you hit the Spacebar or F8 key before Windows loads? 
Hibernation is a pretty finicky thing at best of times.  Buggy drivers 
and marginal hardware can put a kybosh on all of it in a hurry.

John
0
John
1/23/2010 5:46:27 AM
Pavel A. wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:4b5a4ccb$1@news.bnb-lp.com...
>> ... If a hibernate flag were set in the NVRAM of the BIOS, then if you 
>> had Linux installed on the same machine, it too would be hibernated. 
>> You can hibernate Linux and it won't affect Windows, and vice-versa. 
>> It's just a flag that's set in the filesystem of each operating 
>> system's boot drive.
> 
> What would be the desired user experience?
> Suppose you have OS A and OS B on same machine, and hibernated OS A.
> Would you then prefer OS A to resume automatically, or have a choice to 
> boot OS B?

OS A would resume automatically if you put it on standby, you would have 
no choice on that one. But if you put it on hibernate, then it would go 
through the initial boot and then you can choose to go into either A or 
B; if you went back to A, then it would resume from a hibernate, unless 
you told it to ignore the resume file (you could do that by pressing F8 
key during initial part of the Windows booting).

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
1/23/2010 6:25:37 AM

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
news:uoTUEX6mKHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl
> njem wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 10:00 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>>> Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
>>> found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel
>>> takes control of the session.  Any changes that you make to the
>>> computer after it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer
>>> from resuming from hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as
>>> simple as plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer
>>> from sucessfully resuming from hibernation.  I suspect that
>>> removing your battery for an extended period resets certain
>>> settings in the BIOS and this prevents the computer from resuming
>>> from hibernation.  When the computer successfully resumes the
>>> hyberfil.sys file is marked as inactive, this prevents ntldr from
>>> loading a stale hiberfil.sys file. John
>>
>> I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
>> strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it.
>
> The computer has to be ACPI compliant so that the operating system can
> tell it to shut itself off.  The devices also need to be Plug and Play
> compliant, Plug and Play also requires that the computer be ACPI
> compliant.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-starts-up-part-the-second.aspx
> Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)
>
> http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
> Boot Process
>
> John

Thanks, John, good stuff! I hadn't gone through anything like that since 
upgrading from NT3.51 to NT4.0 LOL!
-- 
SC Tom

0
SC
1/23/2010 1:39:14 PM
"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:4b5a4ccb$1@news.bnb-lp.com...
> M.I.5� wrote:
>> "njem" <njem@q.com> wrote in message 
>> news:37227ed4-db07-4748-a3a5-f81df7097bcb@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...
>>> I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's
>>> saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be
>>> truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume
>>> from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on
>>> disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space
>>> maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is
>>> stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug
>>> it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag
>>> to signal the system that it's in hibernation?
>>>
>>
>> How the machine knows to resume from hibernate is BIOS dependant.  There 
>> are two schemes.
>>
>> In both schemes the RAM contents are written to a file called 
>> hiberfil.sys.
>
> This much is true.
>
>> In the first scheme, the BIOS checks for the presence of the hiberfil.sys 
>> file on the hard disc and if it finds it, loads it into RAM and then 
>> proceeds as though recovering from STANDBY.  Once recovered the file is 
>> deleted.
>>
>> In the second scheme, the BIOS sets an internal flag that it has 
>> hibernated, and thus loads hiberfil.sys if the flag is set, otherwise it 
>> just boots normally even if the file is present.  Some BIOSes report an 
>> error if they can't find the hiberfil.sys file.  Once recovered the file 
>> is not necessarily deleted.
>
> Neither of these can be true. If a hibernate flag were set in the NVRAM of 
> the BIOS, then if you had Linux installed on the same machine, it too 
> would be hibernated. You can hibernate Linux and it won't affect Windows, 
> and vice-versa. It's just a flag that's set in the filesystem of each 
> operating system's boot drive.
>

Somebody suggested that the flag is set on the hard disc (somewhere). 
Either is a possibility.

My desktop machine will reawaken from hibernate if the hiberfil.sys file 
exists on the hard disc (I've even experimented with saving hiberfil.sys 
files to awaken the machine to different states.

My laptop won't, as it uses a flag (and indeed it doesn't delete the last 
hiberfil.sys file).


0
M
1/25/2010 2:43:49 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Working Outlook with Comcast services
I recently starting using Comcast and they do not support outlook - how can i get the outlook to work with my new provider which version of outlook? Short instructions: configure your pop account using tools, email accounts. Use the same account information you use to configure OE - the dialogs will be slightly different from OE's. Long instructions: we need to know the version and mode - see help, about. they don't 'support' it in that they won't help you configure it, but it will work just fine. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2...

email rules not working
In my inbox, I have an email that says it is from Alan Borger in the from column. When I open the email, I can see that the email was sent by a service. The complete from address is: 39311@bizmailtoday.com; on behalf of; Alan Borger [mkt@aborger.com] I want a rule to send this email to my Alan Borger folder. I set up the rule as follows: Apply this rule after the message arrives from 39311@bizmailtoday.com and with Alan Borger in the sender's address and on this machine only move it to the Alan Borger folder Unfortunately the rule does not work. Any and all sugg...

Mouse in KVM stopped working
Hi: I've been using KVM, 'MiniView 4-port KVM' for about six months for four different PCs, but mostly I've been using only 2 PCs a day although I did hook it up with four PCs to KVM. This morning I found both 'mouse and keyboard' stopped working to all four PCs. Monitor/Screen is all OK, crisp and clear. Also, all connections are in perfect shape. When I turned on one of PCs, a buzzing noise. At first, the PC going bad? , .... but when I took off 'mouse' connected with KVM, noise ceased. Afterwards, both mouse and keyboard does not respon...

Keyboard shortcut not working when I copy macro to another computer
I created a large macro to tally information in a report. I established a Keyboard shortcut for it, and it works great on my computer. I copied the macro, though, and pasted in other computers and the keyboard shortcut won't work. I established a shortcut key when I entered the macro on the other computer. Any tips on what I can do to make the shortcut work? -- telewats ------------------------------------------------------------------------ telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthrea...

Links in email do not work
When I click on a link in an email I get the following message: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" Can anyone tell me what settings need to be changed. I am running Windows 7 and this popped up after having the computer shut down for the weekend. See the following http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Motomo43&qu...

How come Exchng32.exe doesn't work on XP?
How come Exchng32.exe doesn't work on XP? -- Regards, Spin what error do you get when you try? are you logged on as administrator? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in the Slipstick Ratin...

Opportunity Product tax calcuation not working??
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knows what value/benefit the OpportunityProduct.Tax field has. When I put a value of tax as $0.21 (7%) on a value of $3.00 product item with a quantity of 1. That is 3.00 * 1 * 1.07 = $3.21, but the Opportunity only shows $3.00. What is the use of putting this tax value in in the first place if it does not use it. This involves a greater problem as TAX never seems to calculate automatically. We have made modifications to edit.aspx for QOI (quotes, orders, and invoices) to auto-calculate the sales tax. When the QOI.product is saved the QOI.produc...

How to disable the system hibernation?
I want to disable my desktop goes into Standby or Hibernate anymore.Can I use a API function to achieve my goal?Thank you. WM_POWERBROADCAST message http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/power/base/wm_powerbroadcast.asp ...

showing the work of different resources depending on their unit
Hi, when you have just one resource you can see in the column "work" which workload this resource has in the specific process. Is it also possible to see the specific workload of a resource in the gantt-view, when u have several resources for one process? i already see their unit in %, but i would like to know what this means in hrs, without to calculate it by hand. Thx a lot, rgds emeurer -- asdasdasdasd123 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ asdasdasdasd123's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/175470.htm Vi...

"Customize Outlook Today" Button Won't Work
When I click on the "Customize Outlook Today" button in Outlook Today, nothing happens. The web-button depresses and releases, but Outlook won't go into the customize view. I'm using Outlook 2000 SP 3 on a Windows 2000 platform. My Internet software is IE 6.0. The computer's hard drive was recently formatted and all programs reinstalled by our computer repair folks. It was at that time I couldn't customize Outlook Today. I've been hollering for help from them ever since I got the computer back, but they're not responding to this issue. In artic...

SFO is out of work ?
Hello, We install SFO and at the begining it works normaly. But now for unknow reason its out of order. The CRM Tools Bar is out ... And in the CRM folder : IIS message : "Cannot find server or DNS error" the adress is currently :http://localhost:2525/stage.aspx?page=SFA&area .... Some one could help us ? regards Either check or remove and re-add the reference to crmaddin.dll. To get to the reference in Outlook, go to Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins. When a break has occurred, you’ll notice that either the CRM Outlook Addin reference i...

The code below worked for a few days and just totally stopped working. What can I do to make sure it continues to work? Thanks!
The code below worked for a few days and just totally stopped working. What can I do to make sure it continues to work? Thanks! ----- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim C As Range, D As Range Set D = Intersect(Range("A:A"), Target) If D Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each C In D On Error Resume Next Target.Offset(0, 6).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" ' - For Column E Target.Offset(0, 7).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" ' - For Column F Target.Offset(0, 9).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(RC7,I.O.! R2C1:R5...

Work-around
Is there a temporary work around using the web version? I can view using the web, however, when I try to edit a document, it attempts to open Document Connection and I get the authentication error. Yes: Download the document to your hard drive, edit it, then re-save it back to the web. On 18/03/10 11:52 PM, in article 1ec6308d-c2e2-497a-94ce-6f40bf9262a4@g26g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "rtbrookstx" <rtbrookstx@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a temporary work around using the web version? I can view > using the web, however, when I try to edit a document, i...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Hyperlinks stopped working in Outlook
My son has Office 2003 and all hyperlinks do not work in any of the Office products (minus IE). I have tried to reset all the defaults but this hasn't helped. Ideas? Thanks, Barry >-----Original Message----- >My son has Office 2003 and all hyperlinks do not work in >any of the Office products (minus IE). I have tried to >reset all the defaults but this hasn't helped. Ideas? > >Thanks, Barry >. > MINE is doing the same thing ...

Hibernation
Computer will stand by and shut down...but will not hibernate. Probably have something running in the background. Shut down a few things at a time till you find the cause. "GMG" <gmgreen@cox.net> wrote in message news:i_3Zm.1540$Iz5.324@newsfe05.iad... > Computer will stand by and shut down...but will not hibernate. > Em Sexta 25 Dezembro 2009 14:28, GMG escreveu: > Computer will stand by and shut down...but will not hibernate. is the hiberation active? how do you do for it to hibernate? GMG wrote: > Computer will stand by and shut...

Global variable not working
Have a form that allows the user to select a value from a combo box. The combo box result is used as the criteria of a dlookup function. The value created by the public function will be used in a series of calculations throughout the application. The function is returning the value of 1 every time, regardless of the user selection. Need help fixing this situation! Current Code: Private Sub Combo0_AfterUpdate() Dim lCriteria As Long lCriteria = Me!txtLocality_ID FindGPCI_Work (lCriteria) MsgBox "lCriteria equal to " & lCriteria, vbOKOnly...

Actual work reported by resources in PWA gets overwritten
We are using PS 2007, resources submitting actual work via PWA "My Task". PM accepts changes. In some cases we have noticed that actual has been overwritten by numbers with lots of decimals (looks like some sort of automatic leveling). In the approval history I still see original figures. In admin we have settings protecting actual work. Where can this be coming from and how to get correct numbers back? Thanks in advance Vera This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060607060308000306050003 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Co...

Hibernation not working
I set my wife's PC (XP SP3) to hibernate after 1 hour, but it doesn't do it. Any suggestions? Thank you. Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk On Feb 28, 10:12=A0pm, Herbert Eppel <HE@UK> wrote: > I set my wife's PC (XP SP3) to hibernate after 1 hour, but it doesn't do = it. > > Any suggestions? > > Thank you. > > Herbert Eppelwww.HETranslation.co.uk Test the mechanism by hibernating manually. Click Start, Turn Off Computer and you can see the various options - one of which is Stand By. When you press the Shift key, the...

is RMS work with Vista?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C8059F.4583E5B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone know that RMS 2.0 will work with windows Vista? Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C8059F.4583E5B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"...

Memory failure : Getting Sum to work
I added the number 200 3 times (vertical) . Got the correct answer but i can't seem to get the answer to appear in the total cell. Just the formula shows up . What am i doing wrong ? Format the cell with the formula as General (or number--just not text). Then with that cell selected, hit F2 followed by enter. Drew Cutter wrote: > > I added the number 200 3 times (vertical) . Got the correct answer but i > can't seem to get the answer to appear in the total cell. Just the > formula shows up . What am i doing wrong ? -- Dave Peterson It sounds as though the cell...

Working with DOM in VC++
Hello, I think I have a problem that can't be solved this way. But I'll try anyways. I am working with SVG and JavaScript and I have created a VC++ dialog that uses CWebBrowser. CWebBrowser's function is calling web pages that use JavaScript and SVG. My JavaScript is using DOM to alter SVG content but it is only done on DOM level and whatever change the user is making doesn't affect the actual file contents. What I need to do is to change the contents of a web file itself. For example. If I my original SVG code is: <text id="some_id"> Original ...

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

Hyperlinks to DB dont work now that DB is converted
We have converted all our Access 97 databases to Access 2000- not without a lot of issues. Most of them have now been researched and resolved, some re-coded, etc. We have one issue that we cannot resolve. We used to have hyperlinks on our Intra-net to several Access Databases. These were essentially "shortcuts" to the databases so that the general population could have easy access. Now that we did our Access conversion, the hyperlinks on our intranet do not work. Clicking on the link gives an option to open the file from its current location or download it to a local loc...