dvd-rw cannot read cd/dvd

Out of the blue, the optical drive cannot read the cd/dvd.When I power on the
pc, it does detect the device as shown in 'my computer" but whenI insert a
cd/dvd, it will not read it.

I detached the data cable and attached it again, the pc recognised a new
device but still it cannnot read the cd/dvd. However when I attached this
optical drive into another pc, it can read the same cd. This shows me that
the optical drive it functioning proper, so is it the controllers problem?

As an experiment, I attached another optical drive from my wife's computer
into my computer, it can detected a new device and read the same cd.

So it seems very strange to me and do not know whats the root cause of the
problem. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks
..
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

      Try Doug Knox's Fix.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

"bb202" <bb202@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Out of the blue, the optical drive cannot read the cd/dvd.When I power on
> the
> pc, it does detect the device as shown in 'my computer" but whenI insert a
> cd/dvd, it will not read it.
>
> I detached the data cable and attached it again, the pc recognised a new
> device but still it cannnot read the cd/dvd. However when I attached this
> optical drive into another pc, it can read the same cd. This shows me that
> the optical drive it functioning proper, so is it the controllers problem?
>
> As an experiment, I attached another optical drive from my wife's computer
> into my computer, it can detected a new device and read the same cd.
>
> So it seems very strange to me and do not know whats the root cause of the
> problem. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks
> .

0
Rich

The "read mail" icon in toolbar
When I press the "read mail" envelope in the toolbar nothing happens. All the other icons work ok, but not this one. It would help if you explained where you are seeing that "Read Mail" = button. I'm going to assume it is on the toolbar of Internet Explorer. It sounds like your Windows Mail doesn't have all its defaults. Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on &qu...

reading currency/number
Could you please tell me how can I read the numbers/currencies automatically. Say, if I put a currency like 5.000 in A1, cell A2 can show me the reading in words like five thousand dollars. Many thanks. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany whitesnow wrote: > Could you please tell me how can I read the numbers/currencies > automatically. Say, if I put a currency like 5.000 in A1, cell A2 can > show me the reading in words like five thousand dollars. Many thanks. ...

lost cd-key / product code
I have publisher 2000, i tried to reinstall the other day but i have lost the 25digit cd-key or product code number, is there anything i can do? i have the box, cd, and pamplets, but not the cd case, which i lost, that has the code on it, please any help would be appreiciated http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;823570 How to Obtain a New Product Key for Office Program Setup -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Rory" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1dcb501c454bd$8d705d40$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I have publisher 20...

How do I read secure email?
I am using Outlook 2000 SR-1. I have installed my digital ID and I can send out signed email. However I cannot read email encrypted with my public key. It works just fine in Outlook Express but Outlook just gives me a blank message. How do I look at the data? You have to use your private key to read your secure mail. It's encrypted with the public key that everyone has, but only you have the private key to read it. Are you sure you've set it up correctly? I believe it's case-sensitive. If you told the public key one thing and the private key something different, you'r...

Total Gym Blast Vol. 1&amp;2 Series DVD Set
Price:$65.00 Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B000PQKKQS Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B000PQKKQS Rev 'em up fast and furious. Each of these tough, challenging, progressive workouts is an intense 15-minute muscle isolation superset targeting Abs, Back/Chest, Shoulders, Biceps/Triceps, Buns & Legs. Focus on a different key muscle group each day or through the course of each day. Within a week, you'll get a fun and memorable full body workout. Before you know it, you'll see and feel results. SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Total Gym 1700 Clu...

Back up to CD RW
I want to back up my portfolio from Portfolio Manger to a cd rw.( Not Thru Money) The default is the A drive which I can't seem to change. Also, Do I back up the .mny file or the current backup I made that I call 10102004? If I need to restore this file do I need to do anything else? It shows as a read only file. Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Steve wrote: >I want to back up my portfolio from Portfolio Manger to a cd rw.( Not Thru >Money) The default is the A drive which I can't seem to change. See FAQ available at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html for informat...

grouping mails based "read" status
I want to group mails based on the read status. UnRead mails should b one group and read messages in another group. I searched for th "Customizing Views", but I could not figure. Any idea from the group? Ramesh ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't think you can group by read status. You could sort by the Icon column... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to t...

Slow to Read Mail
Please help!!! When I open outlook and scroll from one message to another, or click on a message, it takes about a second and a half or longer to display the message. This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then return to the first (when the first one should still be in the system's cache). How do I get this program to run faster? Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to a network too. Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512 meg SDRAM. Thanks, Mark Is this Outlook 2002, by any chance? If so, try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in To...

Only one tool: Rip a DVD, convert video, backup iPod, make iPhone Ringtone
This guide aims to show you how to rip a DVD, convert video and transfer music between iPod and computer/two iPod, make your own iPhone ringtone.All you need is [URL="http://www.mobi32.com/DVD-Tools/Aiseesoft-DVD-Software-Toolkit.html"][B]Aiseesoft DVD Software Toolkit[/B][/URL]It includes 4 parts:[B]Part 1. How to rip DVD to iPod/iPhone/Sansa/PSP/Zune and other MP4 and MP3 Players. [/B][B]Part 2. How to convert all video to MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, WMV, MOV, MPG, RM, RMVB, MKV, VOB?[/B][B]Part 3. How to transfer music from iPod to computer, computer to iPod, iPod to iPod. [/B][B]Part 4. ...

how can I open attachments with several pages to read and print
I had a situation last Fall where my Outlook preferences changed, it's now becoming annoying. Before I could open attachments with several pages, review them by page and print as needed. Suddenly every attachment activates my CS2 program, this change now causes me to read each page separately by going back and reopening the attachment then go to the page each and every time? willywlm@comcast.net wrote: NOTE: Do not expose your true e-mail address in newsgroup posts. Spam bots harvest e-mail address from Usenet. Munge your e-mail address or use a bogus one (but do NOT u...

How to convert and rip music from DVD to iPod with with DVD Ripper
[url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/how-to-convert-rip-dvd-audio-to-mp3.html][b]How to convert and rip music from DVD to iPod with with DVD Ripper?[/b][/url][url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/dvd-ripper.html][b]Joboshare DVD Ripper[/b][/url] is professional DVD Ripper software, which can rip DVD to MP4, rip DVD to AVI and almost all other video and audio formats including [b]AVI, MPEG, WMV, MP4, H.264/AVC, RM, MOV, XviD, 3GP, FLV, VOB, ASF, DV, MP3, WMA, WAV, RA, M4A, AAC, AC3, OGG,[/b] etc. with the highest DVD ripping speed and the best quality.[b]Guide: How to convert and rip music fro...

fn_trace_gettable Read All Traces In Directory
Is there away to number the query listed below using all of the SQL Server Profiler traces in a directory? select * FROM fn_trace_gettable ('\\servername\k$\trace\*.trc',DEFAULT) where TextData IS NOT NULL Please help me resolve this issue. Not quite sure what u mean by that but I assume you want to read all the traces at once. If they were rollover files you simply specify the first one in the batch and use the DEFAULT parameter (like you show) and it will read them all. If they are different traces altogether and not rollovers I think you need to read them one a...

read receipts ggggrrrrrr
Spent a full hour trying to work out why this particular exchange2000 server was wouldn't block external read reciepts then found this : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324636 You can use an event sink to strip off the receipt information from the incoming emails: How to remove read receipt requests on the server? http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/howto-readreceipt.asp Gyula Karakas orf support www.vamsoft.com/orf msnews.microsoft.com wrote: > Spent a full hour trying to work out why this particular exchange2000 > server was wouldn't block externa...

Ripping a CD
Windows Media doesn't recognize there is CD in the drive I do see the songs on the CD displayed and they begin playing. If windows media didn't recognize the CD I am not sure that would be the case, right? "malgof5" wrote: > Windows Media doesn't recognize there is CD in the drive Maybe this link is of use: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/database.html It explains how internet databases work -- http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com "vegaslady" wrote: > I do see the songs on the CD displayed and they begin playing. If window...

DVD not appearing on My Computer
I have recently fixed my laptop (Dell XPS M140) after some virus schenanigans. Now some settings are changed for a particular user (admin setting). The CD/DVD drive is not show up on My Computer. It does show up on the Device Manager and the driver is updated and it swears that it is enabled and ready to go. I can put in an audio CD and have it recognized in itunes. But any other software CD is not recognized and does not load. I then signed onto the original administrator account and there is no problem with any type of CD/DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to f...

HELP! CD Drive Not Accessible
I have a Dell desktop with a CD R/W drive (D:\) and a DVD R/W drive (E:\). Two months ago, I started having a problem. When trying to access the D:\ drive, I would get the message "Drive not accessible..." When putting a CD with known good data in the E:\ drive, opening the drive shows the CD to be blank. I "fixed" the problem by completely uninstalling Yahoo! Music. Both drives worked just fine for a couple of weeks, until just a few days ago. The problem has come back...exactly the same as before. I did install Adobe CS3 as well as Adobe Lightroom about a week ...

Read Only, but not Read Only
In Excel 2000 we have a standard read-only worksheet which we save under individual customer name using the "save as" function. When the customers saved sheet is re-opened it opens as read-only when the file properties show that read-only is not ticked. How can we stop the file opening as read-only? There are a few different ways that excel will open a workbook as readonly. 1. You can mark the file readonly in windows explorer. 2. You could be opening a workbook from a drive/folder that you have read access--but not write access. 3. You could have a workbook that was saved w...

How to convert DVD to AVI with Leawo DVD to AVI Converter?
Many people are trying to [url=http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-avi-converter/][b]convert DVD to AVI[/b][/url] for data storage on their computer hard drive. And a lot more people are seeking for a [b][url=http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-avi-converter/]DVD to AVI[/url][/b] Converter to convert DVD to AVI for video edit. Thus they can upload them to YouTube or MySpace for friends to see. Definitely, they don&rsquo;t want their video to be reduced in quality, so a DVD to AVI converter software with best output quality will be their bad need! What about Leawo DVD to AVI Converter? Is it the right ...

releasing shared folder from read only..
X-No-Archive: yes I've got a simple network, 3 computers + 2 wireless, all XP Pro. Have A folder called *work* set up on one computer which I can see, open and open files inside from any computer on the network. I cannot save back to the folder because it tells me it is 'read only' ..............which it is! I've disabled simple file sharing and set the folder to full control, (it's shared, obviously) and each time I unclick the read only radio button in the properties tab for the folder, click apply, exit and re-enter the folder, the read only radio butt...

How can I read Sent messages in HTML
Using Outlook 2007 w/Word 2007 installed: How can I read sent emails, who were sent as HTML, read them as HTML. All my emails are converted to plain text. "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7132931A-85E6-4508-B4F5-0D30AC44B0C7@microsoft.com... > Using Outlook 2007 w/Word 2007 installed: > How can I read sent emails, who were sent as HTML, read them as HTML. All my > emails are converted to plain text. Are you saying that the messages in Sent Items are in Plan Text? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Re: how do i save a publisher file as read only so no one can chan
Assuming they could read it (i.e a pdf or jpg) it is simple. save and exit Publisher: select the file (in Windows Exploder), right click= , properties. Then check the box that says read only. > If they don't have Publisher, the recipients can't even open the file. = ;-) > > -- > > JoAnn Paules > MVP Microsoft [Publisher] > > ~~~~~ > How to ask a question > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 > > > > > "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message > news:uKbLX3fRHHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &...

Dvd/Cdrw not recognized?
I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop.I am running windows xp professional.I was running a cd drive perfectly, when I took a cdrw/dvd from another Dell Inspiron 5000 and installed it in my laptop it does not recognize any hardware for new dvd drive anywhere. I have tried mr.fix it,3hrs and no result. I have tried the registry fix, did not work. I have looked for a driver, none found. Please tell me if it is possible to have a dvd cdrw while running xp professional? If so HOW! Please help! =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBH?= <PaulG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A73F7A24-A427-4...

Scripts cant read Server 2008 Registry
I have several maintenance automation scripts in place for servers in our domain. We have noticed that several of the scripts are incapable of reading or writing to the Windows 2008 Server registry. Does anyone know of an easy workaround or a solution to this issue? In addition to permissions issues and 32 vs 64 bit issues. I've had trouble with WScrip.Shell on Win7. I don't know if that's a known problem, but I found with one script that WScript.shell simply didn't work, while the same operation using WMI StdRegProv did work. I can't explain it. I just ...

Outlook 2007
Hi, In Outlook 2007 - specifically related to the Reading Pane - How does one adjust the text size so that it remains enlarged or reduced? Unlike with Outlook 2003 where we had to click on the border surrounding the reading pane to access the text size changes - all I can find relative to Outlook 2007 is to use the Ctrl+Mouse scroll wheel. If the feature was intentionally removed, it most certainly does not allow for success when in productivity mode and it is quite frustrating for those who wear glasses or are senior citizens. _If_ Microsoft has not taken into account people with vis...

how to add more variables into arraylist when read another xml fil
hello, let's say i have two xml file 1. myData1.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <myRoot> <myDataInput Number="1" Type="0" Status="Off" ObjName="test"> <Properties Attr="0" Number="1" ObjName="test"> <Description/> </Properties> </myDataInput> <myDataInput Number="2" Type="2" Status="Off" ObjName="test1"> <Properties Attr="2" Number="2" ObjName="test2"> ...