CD-RW DRIVE/CD Drive Not showing up under device manager.

Hola,

I have a dvd-RW drive and a regular cd drive installed on my computer. Up
until a few days ago it was working fine. Now it dosen't even show up under
the device manager. I ran a compelte virus scan which came up with nothing. I
tried using the Microsoft auto-fix program and it failed. I followed the
instructions for a reg edit of the upper and lower files and still no sucess.

I'm kinda at a loss here. The drives open fine I haven't installed or
removed anything major recently that I can think of. Once I put a game or any
cd in it just comes back err. cannot locate disc.

Any help appreciated!
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Man on a mission! wrote:
> I have a dvd-RW drive and a regular cd drive installed on my
> computer. Up until a few days ago it was working fine. Now it
> dosen't even show up under the device manager. I ran a compelte
> virus scan which came up with nothing. I tried using the Microsoft
> auto-fix program and it failed. I followed the instructions for a
> reg edit of the upper and lower files and still no sucess.
>
> I'm kinda at a loss here. The drives open fine I haven't installed
> or removed anything major recently that I can think of. Once I put
> a game or any cd in it just comes back err. cannot locate disc.
>
> Any help appreciated!

Both drives seen in the system BIOS?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/7/2010 1:47:37 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

--
Peter

"Man on a mission!" <Man on a mission! @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hola,
>
> I have a dvd-RW drive and a regular cd drive installed on my computer. Up
> until a few days ago it was working fine. Now it dosen't even show up under
> the device manager. I ran a compelte virus scan which came up with nothing. I
> tried using the Microsoft auto-fix program and it failed. I followed the
> instructions for a reg edit of the upper and lower files and still no sucess.
>
> I'm kinda at a loss here. The drives open fine I haven't installed or
> removed anything major recently that I can think of. Once I put a game or any
> cd in it just comes back err. cannot locate disc.
>
> Any help appreciated!

0
Peter

Template for Managing accts while employee is on vacation
I am trying to develop a Excel Template or some other MSO based Template for my company so when my employees go on vacation tthere is a standard sheet for those covering their accounts can get the key information for each client. Any ideas out there? ...

Enterprize Manager
When we open a table in enterprize manager or ssms, is this a connected or disconnected model? Meaning, does this block updates to this table? Thanks in advance RG (nobody@nowhere.com) writes: > When we open a table in enterprize manager or ssms, is this a connected or > disconnected model? Meaning, does this block updates to this table? Once that data has been loaded you don't block updates. But you should not use this casually in a production table. If you click open table and the table has 10 million rows, you will cause problems. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Showing/Using Sort arrows on vb6 listviews?
Hi All I've always shied away from what seems to be an obviouls feature of the listview, but I could never figure out how to show the up or down sort arrows on a column header in a VB6 listview. I could do it easy in HTML, but it seems like a heavy subject. Problem is people always comment that they never know which column or which way a list of info is sorted in my app!! :0) Is there an easy way to provide this feature in a listview for a newbie like me? :0) Thanks "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:eicj4P5RLHA.3792@TK2MSFT...

Report on the item movement report should show qty on hand as we
On the item movement report it should show or be able to show QTY on hand. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=27b6605b-441c-47f1-add1-64b392ff8111&dg=micros...

is it possible to default show "more detail" during files copy.
as the topic. I hope windows 7 always display the detail information of files copy. is it possible? and how to do that? Thanks. On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 03:00:03 -0700, huangwl wrote: > as the topic. > > I hope windows 7 always display the detail information of files copy. > is it possible? and how to do that? > > Thanks. Use robocopy.exe from a command prompt or from one of the GUI interfaces available for it. -- Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch) ...

Videos in thumbdrive version of PP show won't play
Made a presentation CD of a Powerpoint 2003 slideshow that included videos in mpeg and put the presentation on a thumbdrive so I could play the show on another computer. The videos will play on my computer but not on the computer using the thumbdrive presentation. Both computers are running windows xp. In article <4A7BF18C-CC7C-44F4-82E6-3E3FC8CCFA05@microsoft.com>, Fritman99 wrote: > Made a presentation CD of a Powerpoint 2003 slideshow that included videos in > mpeg and put the presentation on a thumbdrive so I could play the show on > another computer. The vid...

combine text & date formula to show mmmm dd, yyyy?
How do I combine text and date formula to show the written date and not the Excel number date? I have text in a couple of cells and a date formula in another cell(input from a different worksheet). I have the formula =A3 & F3 & A4 in A1 and would like it to read: We went to the station on December 21, 2009 and took the train. However, it is reading We went to the station on 40168 and took the train. Thanks. Try something like this... A1 = Today is B1 = 12/21/2009 =A1&" "&TEXT(B1,"mmmm dd, yyyy") Returns: Today is December 21, 2009 ...

Stationery created in outlook looks great, outlook express shows it as plain text tho?
I just created some stationery in Outlook 2003 using dreamweaver. I placed the html file along with a single graphic into the stationery folder and made sure there were no absoulte path references in the HTML code. In Outlook I could then select the stationery and it looks perfect. Test emails sent to myself appear perfect in outlook. I sent a test email via Outlook 2003 and received the email in Outlook Express but it displays it as plain text??? in outlook express I selected the same stationery as outlook and sent a test email to myself which looked fine in outlook express and outlo...

Resource Management
I am currently running Exchange 2003 and Office 2003 on all workstation. I created a new user called Main Conference Room and Engineering Conference Room. I logged in as each user in Outlook and set the automatically accept meeting requests and decline conflicts. Everything appears to be working fine. My question is, is there a way to have Outlook default the Main Conference room as a Resource instead of the Required Attendee? ...

Change and refresh OLEObject showing Excel chart on Access form.
(Sorry this is not strictly Excel charting but I have had no hints in the Access groups where I posted this first - hoping someone in the Excel world can help me) Hi All I display an Excel chart in a MS Acess User form using an unbound OLE object. I am trying to change the Excel workbook(and therefore chart) that my OLEObject displays: Private Sub Form_Load() With Me.oleExcelChart ' SourceDoc is currently "W:\Public\83.xls" Debug.Print .SourceDoc .SourceDoc = "W:\Public\XX.xls" Debug.Print .SourceDoc ' ## how can I get ...

Integration Manager #11
I am looking at setting up an Integration to import Cash Receipts. National Accounts are used. The Customer sends remittance from Head Office and doesn't list the Child Accounts. Is there a script to use that compares the document number on the report to the document number in the Databse and assign the correct Child to the payment. -- Mick Mick, Here is a script you could use in the Destination Mapping window in the Document Number field. Change the connection string and SourceFields("Query1.Invoiceno") as needed. HS ----------------------------------------- www.DynExtra....

CSV Import with Data Migration Manager
Hi Everyone, I am trying to migrate from goldmine 6.5 to Microsoft CRM 4.0 and I am having some trouble at the final hurdle. I have imported all company data as Accounts, then I import individual people as Contacts, but I leave the Company Name column in and map it to parent customer -> account name. This works to a degree, but for some reason will only accept 1 of each company, so if there are multiple contacts under one account then it takes the first one and rejects the rest. It looks like the relationship is stuck at 1-1 for the import, but I can then manually change it afterwards, s...

How to print PDF for 5.5 x 8 1/2 booklet to show pages 1,2,3
I want to create a PDF of a booklet to post on the web. The booklet is 8 1/2 x 11 landscape and when folded is 5.5 x 8 1/2. It is 1-20 pages. When I create a PDF, it produces the pages, for example, printing 2 on lefthand side and 19 on therighthand side.But, I want to print pages exactly as I see on screen with no 2 on lefthand side and no 3 on righthand side. After no luck experimenting with Adobe Acrobat 7.0, am I going to have to print out the pages front/back, fold them, and then scan to get the pages to appear as they would in the book? Print MSPub 03 to PDF --consecutive ...

Dragdrop from app to CD-RW in XP
My application has files/folders dragdrop functionality similar to Windows Explorer. The only problem is that if the drag starts from my application and if I drop on the CD-RW dive in XP ( with CD writing enabled) , nothing happens. But if I start dragging from Windows Explorer and drop in my application on the CD-RW, then they are copied for writing to the CD. In other words , the CD-RW drive takes action on a drop, only if the drag originated from Windows Explorer. I think that might be because the shell stores information about the dragged files/folders in various clipformats, but ...

Integration manager and customer fields
In GP 9.0, using the Integration Manager, is it possible to import into user defined fields created in the Human resources cards? Right now, we are integrating into the Payroll master but can not seem to import into any of the custom created fields. Thanks. Integration Manager does not have an adapter that will import into the HR fields. There may be a 3rd Party tool available - check ISV Central, they may have something there. "Jerry Flatto" wrote: > In GP 9.0, using the Integration Manager, is it possible to import into user > defined fields created in the Human res...

colour not showing on page
A colour object inserted onto the page is not displaying the colour, but the colour does in preview and when printed it prints the colour. Just the one object or all color objects? Is it a image you imported or an autoshape you filled? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "RobLesley" <RobLesley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F633AD63-0BBA-4CFB-8541-5649DB0F2817@microsoft.com... >A colour object inserted onto the page is not displaying the colour, but the > colour does in preview a...

Account Names not showing when adding new user
Hi, I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install and when adding users to access the SharePoint site, directory services only returns admin users of the SharePoint/Project Server? How do I get AD to return all the users in the domain? Thanks! Steve Steve: What do you mean when you say "I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install?" Your description lacks a few details. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAA4C48D-9D6A-44C7-84BF-787AE762561E@microsoft.com... > Hi, >...

Can receive mail but sent items show being sent but never make it.
Need some help please. I have spent the better part of three days with comcast trying to get my mail to work correctly and still it will not work. I have been running along for years with no problem and then three days ago I realize my mail I was sending out was not making it to the attended peeps. No error messages and the messages show being sent in the sent box. I even tried to send them to myself with no luck. I even went on the comcast sight and tried to send mail and no go. Comcast says there is nothing wrong and its my wireless...nope I unhooked it and still nothing. I have...

Multi Line SOP Transaction using Integration Manager
I am using Integration Manager 7.0 to try and load a Sales Quote that has several hundred line items. I am using 2 text files as the source. The first is the header file which hasthe SOP Doc Number and other fields. The second is the detail file, and has the SOP Doc Number, item qty, date site etc. I am joining them by SOP Doc Number in the query relationships window, and checking Option 3 in the relationship type window. The destination is Sales Transactions and I am using the Dynamics/eEnterprise 7.0 adapter. (Not the SQL optimized) When I run the integration, only the first recor...

save a file on a CD.
I want to save a file on a CD. When I try, I'm told it is not a legal operation ( or something to that effect) and that I must get permission from the 'Administrator". Who would that be?? If you're using File|SaveAs (or its xl2007+ equivalent), then you'll want to make sure that the drive you're using allows you to use it this way. One of my drives has a DLA (Direct Line Access???). This allows this drive to be used the way file|SaveAs would need. The other doesn't allow this. In any event, I wouldn't do this. I think it'll cause more tro...

report or query to show when item was last received in purchase or
hello, i would like help to find out when was the last date i received an item in a purchase order. not when was transferred but when it was received. please help.... This query will give you the answer: select * from purchaseorderentry e join purchaseorder p on e.storeid=p.storeid and e.purchaseorderid=p.id where potype=1 and quantityreceivedtodate>0 and itemdescription='XYZdescription' "RP" <RP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:380A0AB4-0141-4BBC-950B-ECE34CFFD8E5@microsoft.com... > hello, > > i would like help to ...

My signature does not show up, why?
I had my signature working at one time but it quit working. I must have gone and changed something but cannot remember for the life of me what it was. I have tried changing formates of the pictures to gif, tiff, jpeg, and nothing seems to work now. What could be wrong? Regards, Lost in computer talk Try deleting it and start over. -- -Lord Weazel Nobilis "Kev" wrote: > I had my signature working at one time but it quit working. I must have gone > and changed something but cannot remember for the life of me what it was. I > have tried changing formates of the pict...

Reinstall of Office X: CD Key not recognized
Hi, I've searched the posts and have seen similar issues, but nothing to answer my dilema: I erased my hard drive (on purpose!) and just installed Tiger OS 10.4.7. I've been reinstalling software and all is going well. EXCEPT Office X; I installed from the same CD I did before and now it won't recognize the CD Key!! Is there an issue w/Tiger and Office X? Is there a max for how many times you can re-enter the key? I worry I made some typos and am now locked out forever. Or should I reinstall Office X again? Thanks!! On 12/8/06 18:01, in article 1155402070.462504.145020@i3g2000cw...

Problem w/ Task Manager
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB4835.4C042E00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am running a laptop with WIndows XP SP3. I am not sure what changed or = happened but my task manager now only shows the processes tab. The tabs = are mising for me to change views as well as the title bar for my task = manager windo and the menu bar i also gone. How can I correct it? Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB4835.4C042E00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8...