XP3 Coming up VERY Slowly??

Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
slow again.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Doug

0
Doug

See...

Help! My computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html

Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer

What to do if your Computer is running slowly
http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

Doug Mc wrote:
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug
0
PA
9/12/2010 11:24:53 PM
I would offer some assistance, but it is taking me a while to sift through
the copious amount of details you provided in your post.

BB

"Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug

0
BillyBob
9/12/2010 11:32:28 PM
Doug Mc wrote:
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug

"Automatic Updates memory hog on XP SP3. Updates not working"

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c41d2ef2-b755-41ec-8924-8ce618f3e939

"wuauclt.exe is really bogging down my computer"

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ef18ff87-db7f-4705-8105-33dcf9a9a03b

You can use Task Manager (control-alt-delete) to check for that.

Or, you can use Process Explorer, except some AV products like Kaspersky
can lock up tight, when this program is run. Task Manager is
safer in that respect. So if you're running a cranky AV product,
make sure no other programs are open, if you'll be needing to
reboot the computer. This shows a couple extra items, like
interrupt or DPC activity.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    Paul
0
Paul
9/12/2010 11:45:28 PM
Went to first link.
mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?

Thanks again.

> See...
>
> Help! My computer is slow!
> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>
> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>

> Doug Mc wrote:
>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
>> slow again.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks,
>> Doug

0
Doug
9/13/2010 12:41:36 AM
Learn to search for solutions yourself without wasting time waiting for
people to spoon feed you.

Let me help
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fix+rundll32+problems

> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.

>> See...
>>
>> Help! My computer is slow!
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>
>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>>

>> Doug Mc wrote:
>>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
>>> slow again.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Doug

0
BillyBob
9/13/2010 1:20:07 AM
Are you supposed to help people or citizen them??

"BillyBob" <billybob@has.onetooth> wrote in message
> Learn to search for solutions yourself without wasting time waiting for
> people to spoon feed you.
>
> Let me help
> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fix+rundll32+problems
>
> BB
>
> "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Went to first link.
>> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
>> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
>> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
>> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>>> See...
>>>
>>> Help! My computer is slow!
>>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>>
>>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

0
Doug
9/13/2010 2:07:49 AM
The "RunDll32.exe" file should absolutely already be on your computer
(assuming Windows XP) in your;  "c:\windows\system32"  folder.

If it becomes necessary to restore / replace the rundll32.exe file from the
copy on the XP installation cd then type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box on
the Start Menu and then at the Command Prompt, type (or copy / paste) the
following :

expand  x:\i386\RUNDLL32.EX_  c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe

....ensuring to replace the [x:] in that command with the drive-letter of
your cd\dvd drive...

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.

>> See...
>>
>> Help! My computer is slow!
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>
>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>>

>> Doug Mc wrote:
>>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now
>>> it's
>>> slow again.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Doug

0
Tim
9/13/2010 2:52:22 AM
And thank you Tim,
I just now read this.  As I just told Paul this is exactly what I needed.

Thank you for your help.
Doug

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> The "RunDll32.exe" file should absolutely already be on your computer
> (assuming Windows XP) in your;  "c:\windows\system32"  folder.
>
> If it becomes necessary to restore / replace the rundll32.exe file from
> the copy on the XP installation cd then type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box
> on the Start Menu and then at the Command Prompt, type (or copy / paste)
> the following :
>
> expand  x:\i386\RUNDLL32.EX_  c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
>
> ...ensuring to replace the [x:] in that command with the drive-letter of
> your cd\dvd drive...
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>

> "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Went to first link.
>> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
>> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
>> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
>> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>>> See...
>>>
>>> Help! My computer is slow!
>>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>>
>>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

0
Doug
9/13/2010 3:49:42 AM
The "first link" is a blog entry so how/where did you mention "Rundll"
problem?

Speaking of which, what does "Rundll" problem (whatever that means)
have to do with XP3 coming up very slowly?"

Post the full (verbatim) error message(s) you're seeing.

subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated
it.)

On Sep 12, 8:41=A0pm, "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll" =A0problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> > See...
>
> > Help! My computer is slow!
> >http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>
> > Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
> >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
> >

> > What to do if your Computer is running slowly
> >http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>
> > Doug Mc wrote:
> >> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> >> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it=
's
> >> slow again.
>
> >> Any ideas?
0
PA

Can i upgrade to XP3
Hi all, I have winXP sp2 and just installed RMS v2.0 0105 Is it OK to upgrade my windows XP to SP3 or must I apply SP2 for RMS first Thank you, Regards, Joie Make sure you have hot fix XPKB952287 installed first. Paulh "Joie" wrote: > Hi all, > I have winXP sp2 and just installed RMS v2.0 0105 > > Is it OK to upgrade my windows XP to SP3 or must I apply SP2 for RMS first > > Thank you, > Regards, > Joie > > > ...

email comes in code
Hi, My husband is using Outlook 2003 on Vista Home Premium 32-bit. He have recently formatted and reinstalled Outlook. Ever since around then he consistently receives an email from a particular source that is what looks like code and not readable text. It is only from that sender so far. We doubt that it is the senders fault in that it is a commercial entity with a huge email distribution list. So I think the problem is some setting in Outlook. Does this problem seem familiar to anyone? I also have requests in for help to our ISP, the email provider, the sender etc. Hope someone...

problem with mails coming back every day
Hello, Every day, every user receive a couple of reundant emails in their mailbox. How to stop that. Why messages do not simply disapear when read and deleted ? Thanks On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:38:26 +0200, "lmarot" <l.marot@mywanadoo.fr> wrote: >Hello, > >Every day, every user receive a couple of reundant emails in their mailbox. >How to stop that. > >Why messages do not simply disapear when read and deleted ? > >Thanks > Are these always the same messages and where did the messages come from. Could be that you have messages in some loop or st...

Try that update which comes from the M$ Corp.
--pxulfresdind Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="xepmincpbkqfdfbp"; type="multipart/alternative" --xepmincpbkqfdfbp Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zhaxriplmgq" --zhaxriplmgq Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to p...

VLOOKUP numbers as #N/A
Hi Having a few issues with VLOOKUP, basically if Part Numbers (ColumnD) contains text and numbers it is okay, hoever, rows that just contain numbers only or numbers and slashes or dots are showing as #N/A in ColumnE, have searched on here (http://www.contextures.com/ xlFunctions02.html) and tried looking at following but does not seem to work. any help appreciated!!! Here is formula currently: =VLOOKUP(D2,CommodityCode,4) 'CommodityCode' is named Range on another sheet in same workbook Here are results for column D and E respectively: Part Number Commodity GW Sma...

Help! Most e-mail is coming in except for a handfull....
We are getting most mail throughout the day, HOWEVER there are a select few that have tried to e-mail us and we are not getting any messages. They are not getting any messages from our System saying that there is a bounce. These people just think we are getting the messages and are not responding. When we send them a message they get the messages from us, they it reply, and yet we still don't get the messages. We have sent for delivery confirmation on messages and we have been able to get the confirmations back saying that the messages were delivered to them and were viewed. Whe...

XP3 Coming up VERY Slowly??
Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY. I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's slow again. Any ideas? Thanks, Doug See... Help! My computer is slow! http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html What to do if your Computer is running slowly http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php Doug Mc wrote: > Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY. > I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a f...

how come my outlook wont work?
it appears as though my outlook is working beautifully, it does everything but sends emails. heck i dont even know my email addy for out look. HELP Have you asked your ISP for both your issues? --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "val" <val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:4AAA113F-F025-435E-A091-AEB083ED2E68@microsoft.com... > it appears as though my outlook is working beautifully, it does = everything=20 > but sends emails. heck i dont even know my e...

SP1 coming in days
I just read a post on a Microsoft Mac Business Unit Program Managers blog that MS has just released a Service Pack 1 for Mac Office 2004. I don't see any mention of it on MS's website but its encouraging to think that we'll have a bug fix update very soon. I hope they addressed the performance issues in Powerpoint! -m In article <5808e510.0410121252.152d6613@posting.google.com>, mgsite@comcast.net (Michael Grant) wrote: > I just read a post on a Microsoft Mac Business Unit Program Managers > blog that MS has just released a Service Pack 1 for Mac Office 2004. I >...

Not booting laptop XP3
After one of the grandkids worked their magic on this toshiba laptop, a system boot produces the following error: "system32\drivers\ntfs.sys file is corrupt or missing". Attempted a system recovery "R", does not show which version to recover so just did a simple Dir command at the C: prompt "error occured during directory enumeration". So next step was to attempt a CHKDSK and see what that produces. At about one hour later, it is @ 20%. Assuming that the check disk does not "fix" anything and typing commands into rename the ntfs.sys fil...

PO Entry coming up with incorrect date
We have some users that on a few occassions when making PO Entry the Entry has come up with the incorrect date. For instance today is April 5 th but her PO date is coming up with something else. Any Idea why? I have already submitted an Support Request a while ago (Incident # 8142981) and received a few generic suggestions of things to try. So far I've only tried to copy the files from one working machine to another. I'm unable to delete and recreate the user because she's a buyer and we're using Purchase Order Enahancements. I'm unable to stop loading the customize...

What goes into Serialize not the same as what comes out
I'm working on series of linked datastructures of the form toplevel-> task1-> task2 task2-> task1 So the two lower level tasks point at each other, and the toplevel points down to both of them. Not my first choice in structures, but makes sense historically. So when the execution is created, the pointers are created such that the address of task1 in the toplevel and the address that task2 points to are the same. Serialize saves via ar << toplevel task1.serialize(ar) task2.serialize(ar) and restores via ar>>toplevel task1.serialize(ar) task2.seri...

autocomplete not working
My friend is using Outlook 2000. When he tries to send e-mail, autocomplete is not working. (or maybe it's autoresolution he means). I have OL98 so I can't really walk through it like I need to. I'm stumped at this point. Under Advanced E-mail options, Automatic Name Checking checkbox IS checked. I had him go into Address Book (Tools, Address Book). Names are shown in Address Book - everybody where he works. I had him look in his Outlook Contacts folder, and it is empty. I had him look at his Address Book from the Start Menu (Accessories, Start Menu) - the contacts list is ...

WinUSB and xp3 DTM tests
My company and I have developed a usb device, which is suitable for the kind stuff that can be done using Winusb.sys. While implementing the code using winusb.sys and installing the drivers on vista x86 -> Win 7 x64 has been a simple task. Writing and understanding the requirements to an inf-file suitable for win xp installs has been pretty complicated, in fact so complicated, that I'm about to give up. I just followed the numerous examples in win ddk on how the inf file is to be written. The first time I realized that something was wrong, was whilst DTM'ing the d...

in publisher my numbers come out in all different sizes .
When I type numbers in publisher they come out in all different sizes. In the same line they will be different hights. 1,2 are tiny 345 are big 678 are above the line. how do I stop this? LFT <LFT@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I type numbers in publisher they come out in all different > sizes. In the same line they will be different hights. 1,2 are tiny > 345 are big 678 are above the line. how do I stop this? Some fonts use the numeral placement system known as "Text figures", rather than the more common "Lining figures&...

Email not coming to Inbox without refreshing screen
I am required to leave Outlook open on my desktop in order for my wireless sync application to work with my PDA, but no email comes into my Inbox unless the screen is manually refreshed - any way I can change that? I have Outlook 2000 and am connected to an exchange server. Thanks for any suggestions. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815052/en-us=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, deddlem asked: | I am re...

XP3 is still in "automatic updates"
OK, so I procrastinated the install of sp3. Coincidentally I read about the deadline of patches and things on July 13,2010. So I read a post or two about where one can read and go update on the web xp3. I glanced at a few of the support pages, when I remembered that Its probably already download and have had it 'sitting' ready to install for a while; in my automatic updates. I am relieved due to the size of this update. So, can I assume that Windows did download this and all I have to do is click install and no further action or investigating on my part is necessary? ...

How to eliminate a wrong adress who comes automatically
I once made a mistake in an E-Mail Adress. When I start writing an adress in a new mail, the wrong one automatically appears. It is not stored in contacts, but I don't know where else that could be and how I can eliminate it. Thanks for help Kathrin "Kathrin Sproll-M´┐Żller" <muellersproll@bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:%23tPW7xVjKHA.4048@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I once made a mistake in an E-Mail Adress. When I start writing an adress >in a new mail, the wrong one automatically appears. It is not stored in >contacts, but I don't know whe...

When is new version coming?
Any idea when a new version will be out? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rbrookstn@charter.net <rbrookstn@charter.net>!"... > Any idea when a new version will be out? Publisher 2003 is the newest version of Publisher, and was released on October 21, 2003. I would not expect a new version for a while now. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Well, that sucks! -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Officia...

Coming Over?
With the problems *QIF* I have been having with Quicken (Schmicken). I am thinking of coming across to Money. What I see I like. I like the layout and the ease of downloading OFX files. Poured a lot of $$ into Quicken but maybe its time to bit the bullet. Wondering if s there is any old Quicken alumni out there and their opinion of Money vs Qucken (Schmicken)? butchNbutcher wrote in <Cn47d.5645$nJ3.317@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>: >With the problems *QIF* I have been having with Quicken (Schmicken). I >am thinking of coming across to Money. What I see I like. I like the >...

MAILS ARE COMING AGAIN & AGAIN
Dear friends i am using outlook 2003 . i have no probs except one . i have configured one pop account and i have checked leave copy on server option coz i work from home too. but from last evening same mail are downloading again. i got bugged up i don't want to delete that mails from server .. anyhelp will be appreciated.... fast reply Vivek <viveks@sninform.com> wrote: > i am using outlook 2003 . i have no probs > except one . i have configured one pop account ...

Remote Access Connection (RAS) over satellite on XP3
Client Machine(where I connect from) - XP Service Pack 3, PcAnywhere 10.5/11. Host Machine(where I connect to) - XP Service Pack 3, PcAnywhere 11. When I connect using PcAnywhere 10.5/11 to a host machine, I have problem whereby the remote connection is super slow. When the connection is establised, you need to count of 20 - 30 before it gets to load other windows/screens/pages. For your information, how the host receive a signal is via satellite. So how I connect to the host basically, the remote access has to go through the satellite dish > Indoor Unit (IDU) > 3Com Swi...

Outlook 2002 coming through with reply but nothing is there
Confusing situation. ISP support has never heard of this problem, hopefully someone here has. 3 people share a mailbox. One of them sends an e-mail. The recipient replies. The reply comes through just showing the original e-mail but not their reply. It also says it came from (for example) "candycane@abcdefg.com on behalf of candycane@abcdefg.com" Now, the weirdest thing is, not all 3 get the same thing. One of them may get it with the reply, and the other 2 not. One of them may get it without the reply but upon closing Outlook and re-opening it, the reply is there. I...

Some reciepents not coming through
I have Exchange 2003 and we are using the filtering that is built in we have to people trying to send us emails but they do not come through to anybody. We have triple checked our filter and these domains are not in the filter. Is there anything else we might check that we overlooked? Have you checked your Antivirus software? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "LaOVis" <LaOVis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E31613A-95FF-496B-9C7B-1F64D9899C32@microsoft.com... >I have Exchange 2003 and we are using the filt...

.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update
Hi I am unable to install the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update - error code 0x643 (tried dozens of times). I have found a resolution on the MS site but it does not show me where to find .NET Framework version 2.0 SP2, version 3.0 SP2 or version 3.5 SP1 which I will need to reinstall after deleting the originals and running the cleanup utility. Any ideas? Search this newsgroup for "643." -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "Mac 33" <Mac33@discussions.mic...