XP3 Coming up VERY Slowly??

Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
slow again.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Doug

0
Doug

See...

Help! My computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html

Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer

What to do if your Computer is running slowly
http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

Doug Mc wrote:
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug
0
PA
9/12/2010 11:24:53 PM
I would offer some assistance, but it is taking me a while to sift through
the copious amount of details you provided in your post.

BB

"Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug

0
BillyBob
9/12/2010 11:32:28 PM
Doug Mc wrote:
> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
> slow again.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Doug

"Automatic Updates memory hog on XP SP3. Updates not working"

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/c41d2ef2-b755-41ec-8924-8ce618f3e939

"wuauclt.exe is really bogging down my computer"

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ef18ff87-db7f-4705-8105-33dcf9a9a03b

You can use Task Manager (control-alt-delete) to check for that.

Or, you can use Process Explorer, except some AV products like Kaspersky
can lock up tight, when this program is run. Task Manager is
safer in that respect. So if you're running a cranky AV product,
make sure no other programs are open, if you'll be needing to
reboot the computer. This shows a couple extra items, like
interrupt or DPC activity.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    Paul
0
Paul
9/12/2010 11:45:28 PM
Went to first link.
mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?

Thanks again.

> See...
>
> Help! My computer is slow!
> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>
> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>

> Doug Mc wrote:
>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
>> slow again.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks,
>> Doug

0
Doug
9/13/2010 12:41:36 AM
Learn to search for solutions yourself without wasting time waiting for
people to spoon feed you.

Let me help
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fix+rundll32+problems

> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.

>> See...
>>
>> Help! My computer is slow!
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>
>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>>

>> Doug Mc wrote:
>>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it's
>>> slow again.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Doug

0
BillyBob
9/13/2010 1:20:07 AM
Are you supposed to help people or citizen them??

"BillyBob" <billybob@has.onetooth> wrote in message
> Learn to search for solutions yourself without wasting time waiting for
> people to spoon feed you.
>
> Let me help
> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fix+rundll32+problems
>
> BB
>
> "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Went to first link.
>> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
>> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
>> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
>> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>>> See...
>>>
>>> Help! My computer is slow!
>>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>>
>>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

0
Doug
9/13/2010 2:07:49 AM
The "RunDll32.exe" file should absolutely already be on your computer
(assuming Windows XP) in your;  "c:\windows\system32"  folder.

If it becomes necessary to restore / replace the rundll32.exe file from the
copy on the XP installation cd then type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box on
the Start Menu and then at the Command Prompt, type (or copy / paste) the
following :

expand  x:\i386\RUNDLL32.EX_  c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe

....ensuring to replace the [x:] in that command with the drive-letter of
your cd\dvd drive...

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.

>> See...
>>
>> Help! My computer is slow!
>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>
>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>>

>> Doug Mc wrote:
>>> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
>>> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now
>>> it's
>>> slow again.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Doug

0
Tim
9/13/2010 2:52:22 AM
And thank you Tim,
I just now read this.  As I just told Paul this is exactly what I needed.

Thank you for your help.
Doug

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> The "RunDll32.exe" file should absolutely already be on your computer
> (assuming Windows XP) in your;  "c:\windows\system32"  folder.
>
> If it becomes necessary to restore / replace the rundll32.exe file from
> the copy on the XP installation cd then type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box
> on the Start Menu and then at the Command Prompt, type (or copy / paste)
> the following :
>
> expand  x:\i386\RUNDLL32.EX_  c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
>
> ...ensuring to replace the [x:] in that command with the drive-letter of
> your cd\dvd drive...
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>

> "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Went to first link.
>> mentioned "Rundll"  problem.
>> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
>> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
>> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>>
>> Thanks again.

>>> See...
>>>
>>> Help! My computer is slow!
>>> http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>> Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
>>>
>>> What to do if your Computer is running slowly
>>> http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php

0
Doug
9/13/2010 3:49:42 AM
The "first link" is a blog entry so how/where did you mention "Rundll"
problem?

Speaking of which, what does "Rundll" problem (whatever that means)
have to do with XP3 coming up very slowly?"

Post the full (verbatim) error message(s) you're seeing.

subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated
it.)

On Sep 12, 8:41=A0pm, "Doug Mc" <dnmcnNOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Went to first link.
> mentioned "Rundll" =A0problem.
> I've been getting that error everyday or two - "Can't run it, etc."
> I found Rundll32.ex_ on my system cd.
> How do I load it into Windows and where does it go - sub folder,ete.?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> > See...
>
> > Help! My computer is slow!
> >http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
>>
> > Troubleshooting checklist for a slow computer
> >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html
> >

> > What to do if your Computer is running slowly
> >http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
>
> > Doug Mc wrote:
> >> Windows is coming up VERY SLOWLY.
> >> I had another GIG of RAM added and it helped for a few days and now it=
's
> >> slow again.
>
> >> Any ideas?
0